Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

How is CC’s MMR this bad? I’m doing everything I can right as DRG that you all keep telling me to do, but it’s just been a string of losses again tonight. I’m at the bottom of Bronze, and if anything, enemy teams are getting more coordinated

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In FFLogs, is there an easy way to say "show all kills my character has done on X fight"? I'm curious how I've improved over time, and while I can just pull each log up manually the fiddliness has me thinking there might be a better way.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

In FFLogs, is there an easy way to say "show all kills my character has done on X fight"? I'm curious how I've improved over time, and while I can just pull each log up manually the fiddliness has me thinking there might be a better way.

you might have to set up an account or something, but there's a character page that shows exactly this with fancy graphs and everything

like mine: https://www.fflogs.com/character/id/12123088#boss=79

behold, my garbage

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Bruceski posted:

ya, click your name, then click the name of a boss. can fiddle with the settings above to change difficulty or switch between raids/trials.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There it is, I clicked everywhere except directly on the character. Thanks.

Edit: exactly what I thought I'd see, my parse ranking stays about level but my actual rDPS keeps improving. Part of that's gear, but I've also been trying to tighten up my rotation and xivanalysis has been yelling at me less.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 8, 2022

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

How is CC’s MMR this bad? I’m doing everything I can right as DRG that you all keep telling me to do, but it’s just been a string of losses again tonight. I’m at the bottom of Bronze, and if anything, enemy teams are getting more coordinated

dont use elusive jump just for wyrmwind thrust. wait until you're taking hits from someone on the enemy team, and then elusive jump away to break their aggro. then you can wyrmwind at your leisure. i bound elusive jump to one of my mouse buttons so it would be immediately accessible no matter what else i'm trying to do. being able to get out of dodge is the absolute highest priority as dragoon

also, bear in mind that wyrmwind thrust increases damage the further you are from the target. if you elusive jump away from people that are actively moving toward you, they'll be on top of you before you can wyrmwind and it'll only do like 4k damage. the best elusive jump-wyrmwind combos are done against stationary targets, most commonly people trying to contest the crystal.

also, using gierskogul gives buff/debuff for 10 seconds that increases damage dealt and damage taken for 10 seconds. this buff/debuff is cleared when you use the combo skill nastrond. one of the most important parts of good dragoon play is holding onto the buff for as long as possible to maximize dps. nastrond boosts sky shatter damage, so you should never limit break without gierskoguling first.

limit breaks should almost always be on the crystal. you're at bronze 3, so you dont have to worry about people guarding or any poo poo like that. the limit break combo is: gierskogal from range -> high jump in -> limit break -> land on as many people as possible -> heavenly thrust on whoever's nearby and low health (use Target Nearest Enemy to make this easier for yourself) -> elusive jump out -> wyrmwind thrust survivors

don't ever be the first person to attack at the start of a match. the best case scenario is if an enemy ninja or dragoon dives your team- focus them immediately. back up your tank if they dive, but don't gierskogul to make yourself more vulnerable, and have elusive jump ready to get out of there if necessary. the goal for you at the start of the match is to live long enough for the point to unlock and for the teams to start grouping up- anything you can secure beyond simply surviving that long is cake

once the point is active, your role is to grind down whoever's on the point with big aoe, dipping out whenever anybody tries to focus you. only dive ranged enemies if they're low and you're confident you can kill them with gierskogul + high jump + heaven's thrust + nastrond. you have no cc and crap mitigation, so leave the running around to your ninja/monk/samurai and stick to the point and let people come to you

Griz
May 21, 2001

Oneiros posted:

honestly i never understood how larboard hosed people so badly to become a meme. was it the savage version?

i've had more trouble with people dropping puddles, the buster splash, and the flare than the ol' spinny cleaves

it gives vuln up, and like 5 minutes in there's a star/lar immediately followed by a raidwide that usually gets a bunch of people.

if I get normal raid roulette in progress (10 minutes) it's usually o11.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Griz posted:

it gives vuln up, and like 5 minutes in there's a star/lar immediately followed by a raidwide that usually gets a bunch of people.

if I get normal raid roulette in progress (10 minutes) it's usually o11.

O11 can be rough for sure, but it's Alexander 9 that I dread getting in raid roulette. It's not a hard fight, but there's enough going on and enough damage going out that I see sprouts struggle there sometimes. Then there's the add mechanics, which if not done correctly can lead to one of several instant wipe conditions. If you have someone who knows how to do it and does it it's fine, but if you don't you can have a lot of trouble.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Mind over Matter posted:

O11 can be rough for sure, but it's Alexander 9 that I dread getting in raid roulette. It's not a hard fight, but there's enough going on and enough damage going out that I see sprouts struggle there sometimes. Then there's the add mechanics, which if not done correctly can lead to one of several instant wipe conditions. If you have someone who knows how to do it and does it it's fine, but if you don't you can have a lot of trouble.

My favorite thing about A9 is when the tank just takes faust and stand over one of the first two panels that goes down.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

it's one of the only ways a single person can instantly wipe 8 people in normal raids, yeah.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, A9 is the raid where I've seen the most active distress. I joined an in-progress once where someone was having a complete self-flagellating meltdown in the chat, which is a great thing to walk in on.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Fiye posted:

My favorite thing about A9 is when the tank just takes faust and stand over one of the first two panels that goes down.

The only time I've ever left a roulette and taken a penalty was when a tank did this 5 times in a row :negative:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I had a trial roulette where somebody failed the quick t8me event on normal Warrior of Light like 5 times in a row and everybody quit.

Worst roulette I've ever gotten into.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

i timed out on the 89 trial in TDR 3x in the week following EW release

derra
Dec 29, 2012
As someone who got pulled in to these a lot via Mentor Roulette:

HW: A9 with a runners up to A11.

SB: O11

ShB: E7, runners up E12.

Trials: Dancing Plague, Seat of Sacrifice. Probably the EW trials but I'm done with Astrope so haven't been spamming the roulette recently.

Dungeons: Last boss of the Burn, first boss of Amaurot.

derra fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 8, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

E12 is pretty brutal for normal content. The last phase in particular where the safe zone for the AoEs can be pretty small and wiping means doing that slow add phase which feels like a huge morale killer.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Electric Phantasm posted:

E12 is pretty brutal for normal content. The last phase in particular where the safe zone for the AoEs can be pretty small and wiping means doing that slow add phase which feels like a huge morale killer.

I remember wiping on that one once at the very end because I was DPS (DRG or SAM, I believe) and blew the LB3 since we had done the fight perfectly up to that point but then somehow both tanks and both healers and the RDM got killed by the aoes. The healers yelled at me to save the LB3 for them "just in case" but I totally thought we had the fight in the bag. We got it on the second go but I just remember looking up from one of the mechanics and going ... "Oh. Oops."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In my experience, the 83 trial either goes smooth as butter, or it’s at least three wipes that happen 2/3rds of the way in.

Putting in a stack mechanic right after the “dodge the stars” attack was kind of evil

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

In my experience, the 83 trial either goes smooth as butter, or it’s at least three wipes that happen 2/3rds of the way in.

Putting in a stack mechanic right after the “dodge the stars” attack was kind of evil

Ahk Morn was always a pubbie slayer. Can't drag very many dead bodies through it, and both the 83 and 89 trial have them, basically ensuring that they take forever. The 89 trial is the worse one, since it tends to have the sprouts that are too bad at videogames to get through the trust version.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
eh, FF14 does that sort of thing all the time: mechanic with individual responsibility followed by mechanic with group responsibility to put a lackluster party out of their misery.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What is the name of the mod that lets you change your character appearance to preview fantasias in game?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CJ posted:

What is the name of the mod that lets you change your character appearance to preview fantasias in game?

Concept matrix or anamnesis. Concept matrix can preserve the look over loading screens, Anamnesis cannot at this time.

Anamnesis is the easier one for changing your looks, but it's not like CM is hard per say. It really comes down to what you want. Both are easy for looking at weapon and armor glams.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CM's built more for general-purpose gameplay, whereas Anamnesis is built more for GPose manipulation. I'd say to use Anamnesis if you want to just see what a character will look like in various armor sets or to take it for a spin in a dungeon or something, just because it's infinitely more user friendly and also much more stable to boot.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Pro Crystalline Conflict tip: if your whole team decides to dogpile the enemy AST right at round start, and you don't manage to kill them in a single burst, maybe don't try to pursue them all the way back to their spawn.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Pro Crystalline Conflict tip: if your whole team decides to dogpile the enemy AST right at round start, and you don't manage to kill them in a single burst, maybe don't try to pursue them all the way back to their spawn.

Did...did the MCH just quietly push the crystal all the way while there was a brawl near your spawn? Did that just happen?

Wow.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I think they figured out what was up right around a minute in, but they couldn't run across the entire arena in time to stop them.

edit: I tried retreating to spawn, then realized my team wasn't actually here to help, so I ran back to mid. Eventually most of them peeled off of me but the NIN stuck around and finally finished me off at about 1:36 on the timer. Was very funny dying in the middle of the map just to immediately see "VICTORY" flash across the screen.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 8, 2022

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Got Diamond, took a ~weeklong break from FFXIV, and finally came back last night for more PvP.

I played Bard for fun, from Bronze 4 all the way to Crystal, but I do not recommend Bard if you're trying to rank up for the rewards. It's quite good, don't get me wrong, but a huge part of it's power comes from buffing teammates - so those teammates need to do work. You are not going to solo carry the way some classes can if you're disproportionately skilled compared to the match average, which means your climb will be slower compared to playing DRG, SAM, WAR, or RDM. I've seen each of those classes do absolutely absurd work in the hands of someone clearly belonging to a higher skill tier. Not once have I seen any ranged DPS pop off that way, even if they do fine during evenly-skilled matches.

If you do insist on trying to rank up via Bard, at least check the current map in queue first. If it's the lava map, don't bother. There are too many corners. The other maps have some open spaces where you can shine, but not the lava map. Don't bring cast times to a corner fight.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ve never seen that happen. That’s wild. I usually don’t pursue though unless I’m 100% sure I’ll get a kill shot with a little legwork. If they have enough MP to get back to their base it’s not worth it and it’s more valuable to now maximize the 5 on 4 you’ve created by forcing the retreat. I’ve also seen people try push Crystal at any means so I make sure to stick around in the middle to stop pushes. Was that a ranked or Casual match? I did a couple Casual matches to learn Ninja and games get way more wonky there.

Corbeau posted:

Not once have I seen any ranged DPS pop off that way, even if they do fine during evenly-skilled matches.

Summoner can absolutely pop off better than those classes at times. Even with some people I know have been skilled I’ve been top of damage and kills because their AoE combo move pumps out heavy damage and a well timed Limit Break can absolutely wreck. It does come down to a little luck and you will still absolutely want a melee DPS to take heat off of you but Summoner is a beast.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 8, 2022

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Regalingualius posted:

Sometimes it happens. I was one win away from Crystal yesterday afternoon before going on an incredible 6-loss bender, including three in a row where a teammate yoloed directly into the entire enemy team at the start when the rest of us were positioned defensively. Got to just focus on improving your own play until things average out. I find it really helps after each match, even the unwinnable ones, to find at least one thing I could do better next time. There's always something suboptimal that I did even if it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the given match.

The Black Stones posted:

Summoner can absolutely pop off better than those classes at times. Even with some people I know have been skilled I’ve been top of damage and kills because their AoE combo move pumps out heavy damage and a well timed Limit Break can absolutely wreck. It does come down to a little luck and you will still absolutely want a melee DPS to take heat off of you but Summoner is a beast.

Yeah, I don't include SMN or BLM in the ranged category. They're not as scary as melee classes but I've seen one or two pop off. BLM more than SMN tbh; SMN almost always does big damage numbers but pressure is meaningless unless capitalized on. Bard has a similar problem, but silence is a crazy strong status effect. Classes with lots of crowd control or single target burst are the ones that I see outperform when played disproportionately well, especially if they're sticky with lots of gapclosers.

e: Honestly I don't think I've ever seen anyone carry harder than a really top quality RDM. That kit is wild when played to it's full potential.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 8, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Concept matrix or anamnesis. Concept matrix can preserve the look over loading screens, Anamnesis cannot at this time.

Anamnesis is the easier one for changing your looks, but it's not like CM is hard per say. It really comes down to what you want. Both are easy for looking at weapon and armor glams.

Something about Concept Matrix feels less user friendly to me than Anamnesis, so I generally use the latter. The posing tool though is insane the way it's laid out, I adjust the wrong side ALL THE TIME. I wish there was a way to do it in game like I'm messing with Mario's face but I imagine that's impossible. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do for fashion

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Have people just stopped playing tanks or something? Every game I've had today has been tankless.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ImpAtom posted:

Have people just stopped playing tanks or something? Every game I've had today has been tankless.

It's a tankless job

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

It's not the players' fault the devs didn't add a way to express gratitude in the quick chat menu :classiclol:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

It's not the players' fault the devs didn't add a way to express gratitude in the quick chat menu :classiclol:

"Thank You!" is there!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
You know what would be great in gpose and the portrait poser thing? A way to slow down the animations that are happening. I want to get my dude at just the right point of his spinny thing and it's hard to time it at regular speed.

Unless there is that function and I've just never seen it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

"Thank You!" is there!

poo poo, my joke is inaccurate!!!!!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I got a real easy solution to this ImpAtom.

Queue as tank.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
"Hello!" is a positive EV play.

I definitely see more healers and especially more DPS than I do tanks though. I assume it has a lot to do with non-WAR tanks being underwhelming and people wanting to try different things once they hit a tier that they're satisfied with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I got a real easy solution to this ImpAtom.

Queue as tank.

I did as soon as I saw what was happening. The other team still didn't have a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I did as soon as I saw what was happening. The other team still didn't have a tank.

Who cares about the enemy team? They are there to be slaughtered.