Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Doctor Chav?

Billie Piper has already said that she isn't coming back, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think it's time for them to seriously consider the dogtor who concept.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Deformed Church posted:

I think it's time for them to seriously consider the dogtor who concept.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Every now and then I read the thread title as gay pear specials which is fairly close to guy pears so it's confirmed that the next Doctor is Guy Pearce :tinfoil:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Now we know why the Doctor says to never eat pears.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The_Doctor posted:

Look, I’ve told you once.

I always hate when they rope off the consoles like this at the exhibitions. I'm not going to touch it. I mean, I am, but I'll be careful. I'll be an hour at most

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I am going to touch the wibbly lever and I'll take getting thrown out the door just let me touch it first

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

jisforjosh posted:

Every now and then I read the thread title as gay pear specials which is fairly close to guy pears so it's confirmed that the next Doctor is Guy Pearce :tinfoil:

Ticks all the major boxes (actor, English)

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I think we have 14. (Spoilers in the link) it was liked shared by RTD and Bad Wolf

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdSzPyuo8sL/

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's that's the case, count me most definitely in! I'm excited about this show again!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1523263950661775360?t=Zlu_t6n6IMhLpe-aUj0ilQ&s=19

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I wish it had been another woman, but we've finally broke the 'Doctor is always white' cycle.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm not familiar with Ncuti Gatwa, but thats fine, I wasnt familiar with Matt Smith before his casting either, and every actor to play the Doctor has been good in the role. I was pretty sure that the new doctor would be someone who wasnt even in the online conversation for the role, because none of the nu-who doctors have been! Plus wikipedia tells me hes Rwandan-Scottish, so to me as a Scot that puts him in good company with the other Scottish Doctors.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I wish it had been another woman, but we've finally broke the 'Doctor is always white' cycle.

Yep. That was becoming a bigger problem with ever time they cast a new Doctor.

I can't say I've got strong opinions here beyond, "Cool." I don't know enough about Gatwa to have feelings on how he'll be in the role. I'm sure he'll turn out great since there hasn't been a wrong choice in casting in the show's history and so much of how his tenure turns out will come down to the writing. May he have better stories than 6 and 13.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I know what you mean. A queer black guy is pretty awesome, though. Not familiar with him either, but

Random Stranger posted:

there hasn't been a wrong choice in casting in the show's history

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, even Chibnall did an incredible job with the casting, so I trust Gatwa to do a fantastic job, even if I'm not personally familiar with his work. Good excuse to check Sex Education, I suppose.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
He's already got 2.6m followers on Instagram so I think this miiight be the most famous before becoming the doctor actor yet.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Good to see RTD maintaining the tradition of alternating between English and Scottish actors that he started

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Don't know anything about him, but looking forward to seeing how he does and where it goes.

Part of me is sad we didn't get Jessica Hynes though :shobon:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Confusedslight posted:

He's already got 2.6m followers on Instagram so I think this miiight be the most famous before becoming the doctor actor yet.

He’s Eric on Sex Education, aka the second Netflix show that’s popular and not canceled yet

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only 29 years old. Matt Smith right now:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

He's good in Sex Education, very campy and energetic - I can see him being a bit in the vein of Matt Smith, although obviously we don't really know where they'll take the character.

Sex Education is good by the way, those of you who haven't seen it should check it out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Crap, now there's another Neflix show I need to watch.

It is weird that he's the first actor to play the Doctor that's younger than I am, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I sorta wish it was going to be Jo Martin, and that she was just 14 who got introduced mid-season and the Timeless Child nonsense never happened.
She actually had some gravitas about her.

Still watched a bunch of Gatwa's interviews, as I've never heard of him, and fingers crossed.
Honestly just hope we get back to good writing for once, cause gently caress me it's been bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

David Tennant is now 4 years younger than William Hartnell was when he became the 1st Doctor. :stare:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's giving off Scottish Anthony Mackie vibes on his insta https://www.instagram.com/ncutigatwa/

Jerusalem posted:

David Tennant is now 4 years younger than William Hartnell was when he became the 1st Doctor. :stare:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Cleretic posted:

Crap, now there's another Neflix show I need to watch.

It is weird that he's the first actor to play the Doctor that's younger than I am, though.

This was the first thing I commented when I saw this. But hey, at least I'll be younger than the Curator versions we've seen.

Stranded Spoiler below
So finally listened to the latest Stranded and they bring in C Bakes as the Curator, and essentially wink and nod that the Doctor is going to be coming back with various faces in Curator form. I'm loving it, C Bakes version of the "more willing to interfere" Curator was fun, even if the overall Stranded series has been kind of meh for me

Showing that Covid-2020 is the "real" 2020 was a neat touch, but I wish they'd gone a bit more in on the idea

Speaking of ... C Bakes master of war:
Was it just me, or was this kind of a mess? I loved the concept but...it never really grabbed me

McGann fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 8, 2022

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Confusedslight posted:

Surely this goes to Capaldi? Man had an Oscar before being cast. Though given Sex Education's popularity it might be close.

He's a pretty great choice, will be interesting to see his take the character.

I hope they keep up the pattern of every even numbered doctor in the revival being Scottish when 16 comes round.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ecclestone had been in gone in 60 seconds and in 28 days later among others before being the doctor as well

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I was wrong then haha.
watching the bafta livestream they both appeared for a brief interview on the red carpet thing and he got cast in February, and they are both are very excited.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I probably won't watch because I'm not a fan of modern DW in general, but kudos to RTD for not going with a straight white guy as the next Doctor. I did think he might, mainly because I figured the BBC would be pushing for it in the hopes that RTD would find someone along the lines of Tennant (if not Tennant himself), to try and recapture that particular lightning in a bottle. But clearly RTD went in the opposite direction, so praise where it's due and all that.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I probably won't watch because I'm not a fan of modern DW in general, but kudos to RTD for not going with a straight white guy as the next Doctor.

So, I've seen people making this comment - is he actually not-straight? Articles I've found say he has not been public with his sexuality, only playing a gay character on Sex Education.

Not that it matters but this seems like people trying to make a thing out of nothing. It's gonna make the conservative tears flow heavily though - people who thought RTD might bring back Tennant are now faced with almost the opposite of what they would want.

edit: "Not straight" Forgive the lovely phrasing, its early and I am not at my peak today. I mean they're not a traditionally straight identity person for what it's worth.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I guess the time must come in everyone's life when the next Doctor is younger than you are, but I wasn't prepared for it to happen to me.

Still, very cool! Sex Education has been on my watchlist for ages, haven't gotten around to it yet but I've heard good things. Hopefully we'll get a costume reveal soon, too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hahaha

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1523268335089201153?s=20&t=CaQOKl_gjP9v3XUWAxSHNQ

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't care if he's black or what his sexual orientation is.

We need to start asking questions.

Big questions.

Like why isn't he ginger?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

McGann posted:

So, I've seen people making this comment - is he actually not-straight? Articles I've found say he has not been public with his sexuality, only playing a gay character on Sex Education.

Not that it matters but this seems like people trying to make a thing out of nothing. It's gonna make the conservative tears flow heavily though - people who thought RTD might bring back Tennant are now faced with almost the opposite of what they would want.

edit: "Not straight" Forgive the lovely phrasing, its early and I am not at my peak today. I mean they're not a traditionally straight identity person for what it's worth.

I'm not familiar with him, but there was a post a bit earlier ITT that said he was "a queer black guy" so I just assumed that was the situation. But as others have said, it doesn't matter if he is or if he isn't, it's his personal life and rightly none of our business. :)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
May I be the first to joke that his name sounds like two badly guessed Wordle attempts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This

Is

AWESOME!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/jobeeart/status/1523301545961349121
https://twitter.com/soundsmythprod/status/1523299158756446208
https://twitter.com/Well_Billt/status/1523282944701636611