Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

My buddy who is kind of a dumbass but Is also a “13th degree mason” wants me to join the Masons. Is masonry bullshit or should I join it

I had a boss who was a mason. It sounded like a pretty chill networking/social cause kinda place. I think you have to go pretty far for it to become political, and even then it's probably just internal power politics like every big organisation rather than whatever big conspiracy.

Go to a meeting, talk to some people, take it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

do members have to do those weird initiation rituals

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yes. There’s tons of info about them online, but apparently it’s very frowned upon to research them before you try to become a member.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
There’s even a Freemason thread here in A/T (we’re everywhere)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kedo posted:

Yes. There’s tons of info about them online, but apparently it’s very frowned upon to research them before you try to become a member.

Oh cool just like scientology.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I feel like this is a stupid question but I guess that makes it perfect for this thread.

Cell phone manufacturers always talk about how each innovation will increase battery life. Oled instead of lcd. Variable screen refresh rate. Smaller process, more efficient cpus and radios. But cell phone life is about the same as ever, like 7 hours SOT give or take. So what's the deal.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

I feel like this is a stupid question but I guess that makes it perfect for this thread.

Cell phone manufacturers always talk about how each innovation will increase battery life. Oled instead of lcd. Variable screen refresh rate. Smaller process, more efficient cpus and radios. But cell phone life is about the same as ever, like 7 hours SOT give or take. So what's the deal.

They're doing a lot more work. So if your phone was just running a really lovely resolution game of snake the battery would last a drat long time. It's not though. Think of it like getting a bigger car. The engine might be a lot more efficient than an engine from back in the day but you're hauling around a lot more weight so you're still getting the same mileage out of a tank.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Even stuff like websites are gradually more resource-intensive over time, as the site developers add more stuff to them.

If you just use your phone for SMS and phone calls, it'll last for a week or more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don’t think the premise of the question is correct. The phone manufacturers are always trying to improve things while not making the battery life worse. That’s not an easy task! 5G modems and faster processors are not free.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The battery life has been getting better, it's just increasing by an hour or so between generations so you don't notice it. iPhones for example have seen sizeable increases in their battery life since around the iPhone 6. The regular iPhone 11 has 40% more battery life than the 6. The regular iPhone 13 is over 19 hours now with the Pro Max getting 28 hours. More than a whole day of video streaming!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My parents are moving into a new place, and one of them SUCKS at parking. The parking blocks are high enough and the front end of the car they drive is low enough it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I am thinking about buying something like this to help them.

Picture of the item in question:

But the reviews are awful. They can't even support their own weight over time. Is there something like this that doesn't suck?

EDIT: It's a public indoor parking lot with an inaccessible ceiling so it has to be affixed to the ground.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 8, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tennis ball hanging from overhead is a classic solution, if there is a roof above

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I take it is not a garage but instead a parking lot? Because if it was a garage the tennis ball on a string trick worked pretty well for my great grandma.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

I take it is not a garage but instead a parking lot? Because if it was a garage the tennis ball on a string trick worked pretty well for my great grandma.

Yep, it's a parking lot. Has to be affixed to the ground.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Im applying for jobs in a different EU country, but having a different country code on my phone number seems to throw people off. Are there any services where I could, say, get a Irish phonenumber that redirects to my normal one without going there to get a second SIM?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Maybe some indoor/outdoor corner flags for soccer would do the trick? This was the first result on Amazon (sold out), but you could check in sporting goods stores near you for something sturdy enough

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

get one of these bad boys

but really stuff like corner flags or agility poles with a weighted base seem expensive for a parking guide (they usually come in a set and are more than $50), although they would work

i would suggest getting some PVC pipe and fittings and making a contraption like this

i think this should be more cost effective and it would be stable and lighter to move around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXyZuobH3Q

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 8, 2022

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Chuu posted:

My parents are moving into a new place, and one of them SUCKS at parking. The parking blocks are high enough and the front end of the car they drive is low enough it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Lay a 2x4 across the parking spot at the appropriate distance away from the blocks. When the wheels hit the 2x4, time to stop.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nuclear War posted:

Im applying for jobs in a different EU country, but having a different country code on my phone number seems to throw people off. Are there any services where I could, say, get a Irish phonenumber that redirects to my normal one without going there to get a second SIM?

Google Voice can do the second-phone-number bit (for free!) but I dunno if it lets you pick the area code.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Chuu posted:

But the reviews are awful. They can't even support their own weight over time. Is there something like this that doesn't suck?

EDIT: It's a public indoor parking lot with an inaccessible ceiling so it has to be affixed to the ground.

Parking blocks/parking bumpers, maybe?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Try these delineators

Tall, high visibility, made of plastic so they can be hit and bent over, and you can install with adhesive if you can't drill into the garage floor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FCKGW posted:

The battery life has been getting better, it's just increasing by an hour or so between generations so you don't notice it. iPhones for example have seen sizeable increases in their battery life since around the iPhone 6. The regular iPhone 11 has 40% more battery life than the 6. The regular iPhone 13 is over 19 hours now with the Pro Max getting 28 hours. More than a whole day of video streaming!

The iPhone 11 is forty‐nine percent larger, though.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice all on the parking situation. I think the corner flags with reflective tape at the top is the best option. The delineators are definitely superior, but I am not sure how I'd mount them. The 2x4 solution is also very attractive though. Will see if I can get an exact measurement and rig this up.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 9, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The iPhone 11 is forty‐nine percent larger, though.

The Mini and SE also have longer battery life than the iPhone 6

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That's also Apple's numbers, which are obviously somewhat suspect. I haven't found any good continuous sources of battery testing for streaming, but Tom's Guide/Hardware has been doing "continuous web browsing" tests since the iPhone 6:

It does get a bit better than the 6, but improvements are minor and it's mostly computational power / wireless speeds / screen fidelity that improves. It makes a certain amount of sense since all most people need out of their phone is for it to last the day until they can plug it in at night.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Why does it feel colder to walk into the wind than to have it at your back?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

essentially, the wind is activating more of your temperature receptors, which have a greater density and sensitivity on your face than on other areas of your body, similar to how different parts of your body are more sensitive to touch

edit: Temperature sensation and perception is a pretty complex topic and is still not completely understood. In fact, just last year a Nobel prize was awarded for advancements in understanding this part of human physiology

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/10/nobel-in-medicine-sensing-heat-cold-and-touch/

When our temperature receptors (thermoreceptors) are activated, this sensation is transmitted to the brain and then perceived as cold or hot. But it turns out that we actually have different kinds of temperature receptors that react to different stimuli. In particular, we have receptors that react to absolute temperature and others that react to relative temperature or the rate at which the temperature is changing. This is why, for example, if you touch a piece of wood at room temperature and a piece of metal at room temperature, the metal will feel colder. This is because it is more thermally conductive than the wood, so it is draining heat away from you faster than the wood, and so it is activating more of the rate-dependent receptors making your brain give you the perception of coldness, even though it is really the same temperature as the wood. There are also receptors that are sort of a combination of these two types.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoreceptor

A fun experiment you can do is to prepare three bowls of water. One room temperature, one warm, and one cold. Stick one hand in the cold bowl of water and one in the warm bowl of water. After they acclimate to the temperature, take both hands and put them in the room temperature water. The cold hand will give you the perception that the room temperature water is warm and the warm hand will give you the perception that the water is cold. This is because of another temperature property, called Newton's Law of Cooling, that says that the rate of temperature change between two body's is relative to the difference between their temperatures. So because the cold hand is much colder than the room water, heat is transferred into the hand from the water at a high rate, activating the rate-based receptors, making it seem warm, and vice versa for the warm hand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_law_of_cooling

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 9, 2022

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Very interesting, thanks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think a very condensed answer is this:
You know how wind chill is a thing? When you walk into the wind, you're making the wind faster (to you) by moving your body into it, so the wind chill effect gets stronger. When you walk away from the wind, opposite happens.

Also your hair covers the back of your head but not your face, your collar and jacket cover your backside better, etc.

What the poster above said was basically explaining why wind chill is a thing. Your body cares about the rate of heat leaving (or entering) your body, much more than it cares about the actual temperature (and the former depends on the latter, but on other things too). This makes sense - your body is trying to regulate your body's temperature by producing (or ejecting) heat, and the rate at which it has to do so, is the rate at which heat is leaving (or entering) the body from the environment. So that's really what matters.

Of course the heat transfer rate does depend on the absolute temperature of the environment vs your bod, so that certainly still matters. But the rate depends on other things too.

Heat transfer has 3 main modes:
1. Radiation - your body (and everything else) absorbs and emits heat in the form of light
2. Conduction - heat traveling along molecules/atoms in a substance
3. Convection - heat being transferred to or from adjacent molecules of a fluid, which are also flowing around carrying the heat with them
3a. Forced convection
3b. Natural convection

Radiation plays a substantial role but isn't very relevant to the wind chill question so let's put it aside
Conduction mainly comes into play when you're touching a solid, or to a lesser extent a liquid (also there is some pedantry in the field that convection does not exist, but is merely conduction combined with fluid flow).
Convection is the main one to think about when you're thinking about your body in the air.
Natural convection occurs because of the heat from your body creating an upward flow in the air. If you are standing completely still in a completely still cold room, that is a lot of what you will feel.
Forced convection is generally way stronger than natural and is why the slightest breeze in that sealed room would make you feel way colder.

Forced convection is why wind chill is a thing.

Also all of this puts aside the role of phase change (sweat evaporating) and the expulsion (or, more rarely, absorption) of heat by breathing. But if we're talking about a cold day, sweat probably isn't playing a gigantic role.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

alnilam posted:

I think a very condensed answer is this:
You know how wind chill is a thing? When you walk into the wind, you're making the wind faster (to you) by moving your body into it, so the wind chill effect gets stronger. When you walk away from the wind, opposite happens.

I don't think most people walk fast enough for this to be a major factor, and facing into the wind is colder than facing away from it even when you're standing still.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Typical walking speed is like 2.5 mph, which is enough to make a fairly calm 2.5mph wind into no wind at all, or 5 mph wind, depending on which direction you're walking. That's enough to create a perceived difference of 5-10 degrees F.

e: but regarding the difference while standing still, yeah that's to do with clothing, hair, and maybe the distribution of temperature sensitivity on the body

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 9, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I think it's mostly that 1) we have a lot more nerves in our face than on our back and so feel things more strongly and 2) our back and generally speaking the back of our heads are covered with clothing or hair, so sensation is further diminished.

I bet bald guys feel a wind at their back much more than non-bald guys

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

regulargonzalez posted:

I bet bald guys feel a wind at their back much more than non-bald guys

Not bald but I keep my hair trimmed pretty short and this is an issue. That first step outside after a trim in winter is pretty unpleasant.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm just starting the game Surviving the Aftermath, and it opens with this guy saying, "Everything we once knew... is gone. Blah blah blah..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJCtf893Fw

It's not dialogue out of context; he's just talking to the audience. But it's... not meant to sound like he's talking to the audience? Like, often times there is an actual scene from a movie that's just loving exposition and they can cram it into the trailer, but in this case there is no exposition scene, it's just a guy talking to the audience. I just don't understand the conceit; is he talking to himself? It's I guess kind of like... I've seen plays where the main character breaks the fourth wall to address the audience and give his inner monologue or whatever, so maybe it's that?

In any case, this happens in many trailers, many opening scenes, a character just giving an exposition dump but it's delivered in a way, and my question is, if you understand what I'm trying to ask: what do you call that?

Watching the trailer again, it is just like he's in-character but addressing the audience. Maybe I should look up what that was called.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

In any case, this happens in many trailers, many opening scenes, a character just giving an exposition dump but it's delivered in a way, and my question is, if you understand what I'm trying to ask: what do you call that?

It's a voiceover, or narration. I think usually the conceit is intended to be that you're listening to the character's thoughts (their inner narrative, which is a real thing that some people have and some people don't), but really it's just a convenient way to deliver exposition.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Isn't this known as second person narration? The original Dune movie used this a lot to a confusing degree.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I believe second person narration is when the subject is "you". See Complicity by Iain Banks for a good example.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Both second and third person can be used in a trailer.

- The screen glows ahead of you: it's text, on a dying ancient forum. You had hoped for insights into your question. Alas: it is a shitpost.

- In a world of ancient dying forums, one man's quest for an answer leads him to a place overflowing with words. Shitpost — in forums May 2022.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 10, 2022

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
How do film and game companies enforce their NDAs? If you've got hundreds of people animating Antman going up Thanos' rear end, how do you get them to not spill the beans anonymously on the internet? Even in the most highly anticipated releases you get one source at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
One thing you can do is not enforce NDAs. If your media is good then you have the option to let people know what's going on.

The other is to just keep loving with the content so much and so regularly that, if there is a leak, it'll be outdated in an hour and therefore incorrect. What's more, if you do that in a way that feeds specific people specific false information, then you know who your leaker may well be on the basis of what they leak. In that case you might not so much enforce an NDA as just find some reason to make them "redundant".