Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

David Tennant is now 4 years younger than William Hartnell was when he became the 1st Doctor. :stare:

And the same age as Pertwee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm the same age as the Doctor.

Neat.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I’m excited by the casting news. Gatwa is a great actor. Sex Education is excellent and his character runs a range from energetic and funny to quiet and serious. I look forward to seeing what he can bring to the role.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Perfect fit for RTD. Very exciting!

Also, if he's 29 now, he was, what, 12 when the reboot started? He arguably grew up with the show, and is now working with the first season's showrunner. Mental.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 8, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Exciting!

No idea who he is though, so I found a video (just the first thing that came up when I googled his character):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVzDACNVuTY

He seems pretty funny and charismatic. No idea how he'll play the Doctor, but he does 'authoritative/judgemental but in a goofy way' quite well in a few of those clips, which is an excellent trait for the Doctor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
so that makes like what? 17 in a row? is doctor who creatively bankrupt or what because this casting sends the signal they're not even trying to do anything new. Another human, british, actor playing the Doctor, wow, never seen that before every single goddamn time. Even if that queen made it a law to have only british humans in doctor who, they really just never think to look at all the other kinds of british people there are? British television production demonstrably know how to cast non-actors in their tv shows, I've seen Love Island.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m very excited to see all the newness! Hilariously, I’ve had a picture of Ncuti on my phone for over two years now.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

so that makes like what? 17 in a row? is doctor who creatively bankrupt or what because this casting sends the signal they're not even trying to do anything new. Another human, british, actor playing the Doctor, wow, never seen that before every single goddamn time. Even if that queen made it a law to have only british humans in doctor who, they really just never think to look at all the other kinds of british people there are? British television production demonstrably know how to cast non-actors in their tv shows, I've seen Love Island.

What in the world are you on about

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wanted that dogtor

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
oh no

I’m finally older than The Doctor :ohdear:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm still never touching Doctor Who again as long as The Timeless Child remains canon. :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

What in the world are you on about

I could be wrong, but I think it’s a joke about always casting the same kind of person, when this clearly didn’t happen (in a good way) with the last two Doctors.

Or OP is crazy, who knows.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I could be wrong, but I think it’s a joke about always casting the same kind of person, when this clearly didn’t happen (in a good way) with the last two Doctors.

Or OP is crazy, who knows.

It's a joke riffing on the idea of casting a dog as the Doctor.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:roflolmao:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As expected, it was someone I did not know.

Now I’m older than the Doctor :negative:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Khanstant posted:

Another human, british, actor playing the Doctor, wow, never seen that before every single goddamn time.

:actually: he's Scottish! :smuggo:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

gschmidl posted:

I hate to break it to you but Scotland is still currently part of Britain. Having a non-human actor I fully support though. One of the royal lizard people? K-9 I guess? :)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Classic RTD casting (incredibly hot guy)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

feedmegin posted:

I hate to break it to you but Scotland is still currently part of Britain.

I was hoping the dumb emojis would make it more clearly a joke :negative:.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Edward Mass posted:

As expected, it was someone I did not know.

Now I’m older than the Doctor :negative:

You're over 2400 years old!!
loving hell how are you alive?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I wish it had been another woman, but we've finally broke the 'Doctor is always white' cycle.

The Fugitive Doctor was great and its a shame we're probably not going to see the character again aside from the audio dramas, because Timeless Child nonsense aside, Jo Martin was excellent.

Peter Davison also technically isn't white, but he does pass.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/thepostmonument/status/1523295335933628423?s=20&t=hgKetTXDxRlJlFHPcAlCEA

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Like all the best casting decisions at this level, Gatwa was not someone who I would have thought of immediately, but the moment I saw the news my thoughts were "of course, how perfect, it's so obvious, who else could it have possibly been?"

He'll make RTD's writing absolutely soar.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

gschmidl posted:

haha i actually went back to edit that post after making it, then googled it because i wasn't sure where scottishness overrode britishness or not and turns out it's a square/rectangle deal

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wonder if that poor person who almost got cast knows how close they came.

Love that he was the last audition though, he must have done a fantastic job to blow them away after a process that exhausting.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1523322348149092353
(they did, by the way)

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Just like Eccleston and Tennant before him, Gatwa's performed Shakespeare before taking the role.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Will our current companion squad continue on or they doing a swap out too?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'd like to see more companions stay on for a bit, or even when you have multiple companions one leaves and a new one joins so you get different dynamics

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Khanstant posted:

Will our current companion squad continue on or they doing a swap out too?

IIRC, Mandip Gil and John Bishop are out too.

That's....a lot to put in one special: a regeneration story, writing out the current companions, The Master, Ace and Tegan, Kate and UNIT, any loose threads from Flux....

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Matt Smith has already commented
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl9n17V2fcQ

“He’s going to be truly brilliant. There’s a warmth and wit and real depth to his talent. Honestly, I think it’s an inspired bit of casting, I’m really excited for the show.”

-edited in what he said.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 9, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OldMemes posted:

any loose threads from Flux....

Just most of the universe being dead

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I don't often post in the Who threads but I've watched Sex Education twice over. This announcement has me completely recharged on the show because Gatwa is such a talented actor. He is going to bring energy and charisma to the role we haven't really had since either Tennant or Smith helmed the TARDIS.

Seriously, I think the combo of Gatwa and RTD is going to restore Who the height of its cultural relevancy since the relaunch.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Matinee posted:

Like all the best casting decisions at this level, Gatwa was not someone who I would have thought of immediately, but the moment I saw the news my thoughts were "of course, how perfect, it's so obvious, who else could it have possibly been?"

He'll make RTD's writing absolutely soar.

RTD was fairly good at casting during his tenure. And so long as he can make things on budget and on time we might actually have consistent doctor who in our lives.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe this is me being weird, but unless I’m already familiar with them I always wait until a Doctor’s tenure is over to dig into whatever that actor has already done. Kinda helps sells the mystique and the personality more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please watch this clip, it's so loving great :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bgamRJ6WDw

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can that just be his costume so we can get One Local Timbo Doctor?

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Sooo passionate, so energetic... and gently caress the Tories! :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love Ncuti’s JoJo outfit there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I love Ncuti’s JoJo outfit there.

More like Doctor Swole, I am I right?!