Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

You guys are going to force me into league starting RF just so I can shut you up for good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wuxi posted:

A 6L Fire Trap with literally zero gear does almost 600k dps on a basic HC RF build. 800k with nothing but the most basic of alt-rolled Void Sceptres. RF is perfectly fine for:
League starting
Early bossing
Mapping
Acts
Late game bossing

id like to see the POB of such a zero gear RF build with that DPS.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

euphronius posted:

id like to see the POB of such a zero gear RF build with that DPS.

https://pastebin.com/aGQdHnj6

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

euphronius posted:

RF isn’t going to carry you through late reds and bossing without investment (time and currency )

Imho

Unless you slap on eow and flamewall

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

lovely Treat posted:

Unless you slap on eow and flamewall

lmfao it's perfect, and ggg can't nerf it because they said no changes :v:

edit: for anyone not aware, there's a bug with using eye of winter with blastchain mines and flamewall, this specific combo appears to stack the flamewall dot for each hit by EoW, both in duration and damage

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

nightwisher posted:

lmfao it's perfect, and ggg can't nerf it because they said no changes :v:

edit: for anyone not aware, there's a bug with using eye of winter with blastchain mines and flamewall, this specific combo appears to stack the flamewall dot for each hit by EoW, both in duration and damage

And stays on even during transitions it seems

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that does not look like it will be sticking around to me

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

lovely Treat posted:

And stays on even during transitions it seems

What I'm confused about a bit is that I watched some video of some people testing it in PvP, and it didn't seem that multiple applications actually increased the dot damage , just the duration, it lookedlike it was increasing damage because at some point the dot truly was going almost twice as fast, but I just attributed that to Blastchain Mine's 5% per previous detonation bonus kicking in on the last mine, giving the dot 75% more damage. But it just seems to outright stack itself fully when using EoW? But their testing didn't really show that... Maybe because they were testing in PvP?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that does not look like it will be sticking around to me

No balance changes :v: Yeah it's dead, but ugh god reddit is going to ride the poo poo outta this meme.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

level 92 with 20/20 gems so as I said that is some time investment.

Its a good build tho dont get me wrong.

No armor or block is also sad. Going to lose a lot of dps getting block and armor. (I realize you will get some block and armor from gear) No ailment immunity either. I know there is no gear. using Skitter Bots to juice the DPS in that build is going to take away a lot of survivability.

All in my IMHO. Just talking about the build I am probably wrong

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 8, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

euphronius posted:

level 92 with 20/20 gems so as I said that is some time investment.

Its a good build tho dont get me wrong.

No armor or block is also sad. Going to lose a lot of dps getting block and armor. No ailment immunity either. I know there is no gear. using Skitter Bots to juice the DPS in that build is going to take away a lot of survivability.

he said 'A 6L Fire Trap with literally zero gear does almost 600k dps on a basic HC RF build' and he gave you a pob that delivers literally exactly that lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he said 'A 6L Fire Trap with literally zero gear does almost 600k dps on a basic HC RF build' and he gave you a pob that delivers literally exactly that lol

Yeah as I said its a good build. Fire Trap is nuts. . I wasnt asking because I didn't believe them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im doing elementalist EA since I didnt do that last league and it stuck around for another one at least.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
how is he losing dps getting armor

he actually gains dps getting armor because then he has somewhere to put his gems

how is skitterbots taking away survivability? It makes stuff die faster and attack/cast/move slower, which makes you take less damage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how is he losing dps getting armor

he actually gains dps getting armor because then he has somewhere to put his gems

how is skitterbots taking away survivability? It makes stuff die faster and attack/cast/move slower, which makes you take less damage

People are going to get mad at me so this is the last "ill say. Traveling to armor nodes on tree -> less dps nodes (maybe). If you use skitter bots you wont be able to use purity of elements which means you are going to have a hard time getting max resists with melding of flesh. That build just adds 200 res all. You will need more with melding.

Ok People are going to get mad at me so im stopping sorry.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

euphronius posted:

People are going to get mad at me so this is the last "ill say. Traveling to armor nodes on tree -> less dps nodes (maybe). If you use skitter bots you wont be able to use purity of elements which means you are going to have a hard time getting max resists with melding of flesh. That build just adds 200 res all. You will need more with melding.

Ok People are going to get mad at me so im stopping sorry.

https://poe.ninja/challengehcssf/bu...p&dps=Fire-Trap

spoiler: they did not have trouble maxing their resists with melding of flesh and without purity of elements

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

professional groundmen shift goalposts less than that

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
There's PoB warrioring and then there's just not being bad. You should assume level to be in the 90s and gems to be 20/20 once you're even able to reach endgame stuff on a regular basis. It's not like you have to choose between gaining xp and progressing map tiers in softcore, it happens at the same time. In hardcore you might have to take things slower, but it's still going to happen at the same time.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's funny too cuz 92 is when you generally hit 20/20 on gems

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I just nuked Cortex repeatedly with a 20/20 flamewall/eye of winter setup on a hastily thrown together standard character with basically no damage mods at all and a woeful passive tree. That was fun and holy poo poo is it getting obliterated in less than 24 hours lmao

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Yeah exactly. Well, it's when you hit level 20 on your first set of gems I think, but any reasonable PoE player qualities their important gems up or flips them straight away then has them back at 20/20 not too long after while using the 20/0 ones which were leveling in their offset.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think I've ever leveled a 20ql gem to 20, but when I'm at the point that it's worth getting quality on all the gems that don't really need it, I can usually just buy the cheap ones outright. Or often times a Skin of the Lord's/Loyal is more DPS with corrupted 20/0s anyway so I just use that till I can afford something better.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

nightwisher posted:

I just nuked Cortex repeatedly with a 20/20 flamewall/eye of winter setup on a hastily thrown together standard character with basically no damage mods at all and a woeful passive tree. That was fun and holy poo poo is it getting obliterated in less than 24 hours lmao

I started leveling an inquisitor, got to the trial of ascendancy at level 30 and itzaro just melted with random gear I got whilst levelling. I pressed detonate once and ran away and that was enough. I kept eow at level 1 as it doesn't seem to matter

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Yeah 20q gems can be cheap to buy straight up too. I’m mostly talking about a league start scenario where trade isn’t full of them yet. It can also be very cheap to buy q17-19 gems and just quality them up yourself

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Thinking about my farming strats for league start, I'm wondering how high you can push base chance for a specific league mechanic to appear in the map. With expedition (the no-brainer best pick imo) and assuming an 8% base chance, you can boost that to 18% through the expedition atlas passive tree nodes. If you want to boost that by sacrificing other mechanics, you can add another 18% on top of that, for 36% chance per map.

... is that worth it? The scarabs are going to be extremely hard to come by in the beginning, so with quick clear speed about 1 in 3 maps seems alright as an alternative. I know I can do away with legion, blight, breach, heist, abyss, metamorph and ritual without feeling like I'm missing out. Though I'd probably keep delirium and sacred grove (and expedition, obviously). So I'd end up with 30% chance.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ashes is good but man in no way should it be super expensive. It's cool specifically because of the niche it creates as a moderately expensive item.

Personally I hope that neither omni nor ashes are made rarer. I think the game is improved by having both reasonably accessible. I think they're both super crowd pleaser items because they're only moderately rare: look how many people enjoyed ashes and omni vs how Badge of the Brotherhood was viewed. It was a cool item but when it was a 30ex item it just wasn't an item that almost anyone outside of juicers would ever use.

Yeah, no disagreement here - however, we know the game is balanced around trade, and they definitely balance a lot around what streamers and other 10 hour-a-day players do. I wish the game was balanced around SSF, or at least had a mode where SSF gave much better drop rates or ways to target gear farming. I'd play that over trade every day. loving hate trade.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Torn between RF and Skeleton Mages.

I know that I say this every league start but Blight is my ideal play and I try to optimize for that, and unfortunately I just found RF pretty middle of the road there. Middle of the road doesn't mean bad, just not as good as other options and Skeleton Mages are among the best choices.

I played skele mages last league, first minion build ever, and went 40 challenges in it - all done without getting carries. I even was able to help carry some goons through like, an insanely juiced maven conq invite, and other tough maven invites (I just don't remember which ones).

All that to say - I could not do blight encounters to save my live on skele mages. I'm exaggerating a bit, but I failed them much more often than any other build I've played, even though this was the strongest build I've ever had (although, part of that is it's extreme tankiness, which isn't the most important in blight I guess).

YMMV, and I still consider myself a major newb at the game, but that was my experience. I never even tried a blight map because of how sketchy/poorly encounters went.

queeb posted:

I love it, in just not ready enough of a player to get a dead reckoning before they hit like 1ex in a day. I figure rf can carry me through red maps and early bossing, then I'll do mages after.

Last league is when Dead Reckoning became expensive and people weren't expecting it. I wasn't able to league start like normal (daughter hospital issues), so I was even more behind (and I'm slow, like 10-ish hours to get to maps typically), which made it worse.

But melee skeletons will happily take you through red maps in trash gear. I was doing conqs and maybe even the first easy fights with the new bosses with straight up "garbage from the ground", maybe a few bench crafts thrown in. I lasted on melee skeles for a while.

Wuxi posted:

You guys are going to force me into league starting RF just so I can shut you up for good

A lot of YT'ers and what-not are all pushing RF as well. I've never done it, but I'm gonna stick to not-doing-RF this league. My understanding is that it's "harder content" gear is already typically pretty pricey, and it's looking to be popular (like skele mages was), so I'm guessing it'll be even more so this league.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

How tanky can you get a Skelly mage necro? Max block is probably pretty attainable.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ovenmaster posted:

Thinking about my farming strats for league start, I'm wondering how high you can push base chance for a specific league mechanic to appear in the map. With expedition (the no-brainer best pick imo) and assuming an 8% base chance, you can boost that to 18% through the expedition atlas passive tree nodes. If you want to boost that by sacrificing other mechanics, you can add another 18% on top of that, for 36% chance per map.

... is that worth it? The scarabs are going to be extremely hard to come by in the beginning, so with quick clear speed about 1 in 3 maps seems alright as an alternative. I know I can do away with legion, blight, breach, heist, abyss, metamorph and ritual without feeling like I'm missing out. Though I'd probably keep delirium and sacred grove (and expedition, obviously). So I'd end up with 30% chance.

There's also going to be a keystone that grants "50% more Base chance to contain Extra Content" in exchange for not being able to use scarabs. That'll boost the overall chance to either 40% or 54%, depending on whether it's applied before or after the +2% keystones. (I'm guessing the former.)

As for whether it's worth it, it honestly all depends on whether you like to run the other content. My preferences are pretty similar to yours - I like expedition/harvest/delirium and generally skip the other stuff, so I'll probably wind up taking 6-7 of those keystones.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 8, 2022

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

How tanky can you get a Skelly mage necro? Max block is probably pretty attainable.

Pretty tanky, and having a giant army surrounding you at all times really helps.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Max block on a necro is nearly effortless with bone offering. The strength of simple minion builds is that, until/unless you're chasing unnecessarily high upper end dps with 12 node cluster jewels, there really aren't that many points you can dump into offense even if you try. You have a lot of spare points to put toward defense and utility.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

DangerDongs posted:

Pretty tanky, and having a giant army surrounding you at all times really helps.

It can also be a detriment, though. In Maven invitations in particular there will be so much poo poo on screen that you will have a hard time seeing what the hell is going on. Thankfully it doesn't matter too much when you're doing 10m+ dps.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hm do i want to play rf/firetrap or ea totems

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
lol at the people on reddit who are already trying to reason away why they won't fix eow/flamewall

that being said, if they don't I won't feel any shame running it

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 8, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if it doesn't get fixed, I'll probably swap to doing the busted rear end build. when it does get fixed, I'll be running xai's poison Seismic sabo from 3.16 and hopefully having a good time

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wuxi posted:

You could've just played PConc for 1/10th the budget and twice the speed.

It was way faster than pconc PF in scourge since the ballistas traveled to the krangleverse with you, so you could essentially clear both sides of the map at once. Pconc occultist might have been competitive, profane bloom is absurd.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Probably going to start DD. Can someone explain the specter to me- which one is it, do you have to level it or anything?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
From the PoB I have provided by lily:

quote:

With changes made for 3.17, you only need to have 1 spectre now due to desecrate changes. Max spectre life is now 360% and every spectre above it will be scaled down to 360%, so the best end game spectres will be arena master as they will also buff you

Arena Master's buff is 20% damage + attack/cast/move speed. Since it's providing a buff, you do want to level Raise Spectre to keep it alive.

I don't remember where I read it but Kitava's Heralds are the first 360% life monster, so that's what you'll want to grab one during the campaign then keep it until you get the Arena Master.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 8, 2022

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

It was way faster than pconc PF in scourge since the ballistas traveled to the krangleverse with you, so you could essentially clear both sides of the map at once. Pconc occultist might have been competitive, profane bloom is absurd.

I've heard so many terrible takes this day in this channel, but this one straight up takes the cake. Congratulations

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

dyzzy posted:

lol at the people on reddit who are already trying to reason away why they won't fix eow/flamewall

that being said, if they don't I won't feel any shame running it

I didn't know what this was, and it looks like Ziz posted something on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA91jg2FNpA

Apparently you can log out, and the DoT damage will stay. Haha.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah that in addition to them having the boss rush event makes me think they'll be hotfixing that ASAP, possibly (probably?) even before league launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wuxi posted:

I've heard so many terrible takes this day in this channel, but this one straight up takes the cake. Congratulations

a) rude and b) one of us actually played both skills in scourge and i somehow don't think it was you (the other thing about scourge is that the build is tons of uniques and you could get relevant scourge lines on its pieces for super cheap; an extra mod on all of your pieces goes a long way to fixing problems with a build)