Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FrickenMoron posted:

Pro tip for rogue legacy 2: enable house rules and turn off contact damage

I was hoping one of the house rules could be globally slowing the game down rather than just when aiming

my reflexes ain't up to this game as-stands :( even like 90% would help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Splicer posted:

I guess I'm looking for the complex robot building using the bodies of my enemies, but putting a gun on my guy also puts a gun on my avatar.

Gearhead is kinda like a lighter version of Cogmind with graphics - it's less of a dungeon crawler and more open-world free wandering kinda game. Unfortunately your robot is not fully graphically represented, but you can do some crazy builds, like putting arms on a fighter jet, have two torsos, strap as many guns as you can fit, etc. You also get to play as the pilot, and you can trick yourself out with cyberware.

Also Front Mission? if you can emulate. Less free in the building departament, but every part looks different on your robit.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Splicer posted:

I guess I'm looking for the complex robot building using the bodies of my enemies, but putting a gun on my guy also puts a gun on my avatar.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/238910/Bionic_Dues/

Arcen games are notorious for being way too text heavy (worse than TOME) but this one is not too hard to learn. The controls actually feel fluid and have more friction than you'd expect.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

beer gas canister posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/238910/Bionic_Dues/

Arcen games are notorious for being way too text heavy (worse than TOME) but this one is not too hard to learn. The controls actually feel fluid and have more friction than you'd expect.
Is there anything really using the bodies of your enemies? I only played it for an hour or two and it seemed very different than advertised. As in it's not really squad based and seemed very rocket-tag-ish.

The only games I can think of where using the salvage of dropped enemies (in a robot context) is a core part of the game, that also has gfx, is stuff like Mechwarrior or Front Mission, which are very much not RLs. Cogmind is rather unique in that way.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Bionic Dues is very rocket tag-ish, but frankly that's because it's kind of a puzzle game. A lot of early game enemies can kill you if they hit you, but they all behave in very specific (and stupid) patterns, so you're supposed to maneuver yourself to never get hit at all.

I think it's a phenomenal game, but doesn't really fit what Splicer is looking for; it's not really complex robot building (it's Diablo looting) and the things you equip don't reflect on your character.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Mozi posted:

Soulash is pretty cool but I'm struggling with the movement stuff, I'm not sure if the directionality really adds much. Some other QoL features would be nice too (like a 'walk to cursor' button). Seems like a fun game other than that though.

Soulash is a game I'm really interested in, but there's a couple of things holding me back. One, as you mentioned is the movement system which seems to be the root of a lot of the negative reviews on Steam. The second is the durability system which seems to also cause a lot of grief with players.

Any thoughts on how much these issues take away from the overall experience, and is it still worth picking up?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The durability seems annoying at first but at least as what I figure is probably the easiest race/class combo (orc berserker) you find enough stuff to get by and be sure to disassemble stuff so you learn how to make it. Need to craft a maul to act as a hammer before you can craft some things, if you need stone you can just mine a wall, don't need to find it lying around. It does mean that you have to regard all equipment as temporary, though (unless I'm not aware of something).

The movement system is definitely a bigger issue, though. Using the numpad-based scheme is better than the WASD one but note the default key to move without turning conflicts with another so you have to remap it first. But the problem there is you have to keep going back to the mouse to do some things, it's not possible to play entirely with the keyboard. Even drinking from a well you're adjacent to needs you to click it with the mouse.

Another complaint is that successfully running away isn't possible a lot of the time so you could be out of options pretty early in a fight.

However for all of that I'm still digging into it, the graphics are good and other than those things there's a lot to like.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
I've had my fill of SNRKX, anything else out there that scratches the roguelike autochess itch? I tried astronarch but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Grey Face posted:

I've had my fill of SNRKX, anything else out there that scratches the roguelike autochess itch? I tried astronarch but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I'm not aware of anything out else out there that incorporates an action element like it does which is unfortunate.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

There's a game called Just King coming out in June? Its very SNKRX.

Only a demo out right now though.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
In Brutal Orchestra, can the party member unlock conditions be accomplished across multiple runs? I can't quite tell how it works from the LP I've been watching.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Quixzlizx posted:

In Brutal Orchestra, can the party member unlock conditions be accomplished across multiple runs? I can't quite tell how it works from the LP I've been watching.

I'm pretty sure it can, wouldn't make much sense otherwise since you don't really encounter the same people twice in a run.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Grey Face posted:

Vivid Knight (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1569090/Vivid_Knight/)
Automon (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1822710/Automon/)

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 7, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Vivid Knight good imo, everything is cute and shiny like candy.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Turin Turambar posted:

The lack of rally system together the punishing ''touch any enemy part by mistake and receive full damage" makes the game feel pretty different from something like Dead Cells (which also have something similar to the rally system). It's more geared towards more technical, very accurate movement with the hero, over having faster reflexes.

I mean it's also fast reflexes. You could turn enemy contact damage off but then you're not playing the game they made, you're playing something else entirely.

On a side note, biome 6 is impossibly loving hard. They seem to not be able to design rooms correctly the same way BOI didn't before Repentance. I'm ok with the enemies charging you from all directions but you can't put those in cramped spaces all the loving time. That's how you generate instances of unavoidable damage, which are bad and should never exist.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. It looks like cogmind is the only cogmind so I'll give the pseudo-ascii another go!

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Kawabata posted:

That's how you generate instances of unavoidable damage, which are bad and should never exist.

I'm a big fan of being hit on entering a new room before I've parsed where my character is.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Automon is dumb but it's fun, it's fast, and it has a decent amount of depth to it. Certainly worth $7

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Soulash movement is just unreal world movement which rules. It feels clunky at first but it's worth sticking it out, game is a blast. Theres a setting to use more traditional directional controls but I havent tried them; I assume you still have to deal with vision cones being directional and such, which might actually be clunkier depending on how they worked it out.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

The Huge Manatee posted:

I'm a big fan of being hit on entering a new room before I've parsed where my character is.

Also using the ranger really highlights how the developer just racked his brain for ways to gently caress the player up right from the start. There's no reason for your arrows to have so many different vectors: they do because their hitbox is a somewhat realistic arrow hitbox with believable trajectories - in a 2D platform game where fast enemies can charge at you from off screen.

What this means is that you can loving miss point blank because you shot 2 degrees higher/lower than you should have, and get hit in the process. It feels both satisfying and soul-crushing to be forced to shoot MLG eagle eye arrows (with prediction!) to survive in a game that's basically a harder Hollow Knight with classes and perma-death.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 7, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I just never play Ranger because I don't like not being able to use the d-pad. Amiable spells have a much bigger hit box and aren't nearly as finicky. I switched to mouse and keyboard for the target challenge thing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

goferchan posted:

I just never play Ranger because I don't like not being able to use the d-pad. Amiable spells have a much bigger hit box and aren't nearly as finicky. I switched to mouse and keyboard for the target challenge thing.

It's funny, Ranger is the class I play most of the time. I even locked it to the right-hand slot when I got the ability to do that.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Grey Face posted:

you may already have played it but i thought vampire survivors scratched a really similar itch to snrkx

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Gooch181 posted:

Soulash movement is just unreal world movement which rules. It feels clunky at first but it's worth sticking it out, game is a blast. Theres a setting to use more traditional directional controls but I havent tried them; I assume you still have to deal with vision cones being directional and such, which might actually be clunkier depending on how they worked it out.

What sort of scope does the late game have? I’m not super impressed by what I see of the early game, but neither was I a big fan of the early game when I used to be a fan of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've only made it to level 4 just blindly terrorizing so I can't say anything about the end game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Brutal Orchestra is extremely cool, I'm appreciative of the recommendation. The combat system is a really interesting twist on JRPG turn-based stuff with some real headscratcher resource management puzzles.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Started playing Vampire Survivors and it's got that same thing people here were describing about TOME where you are mowing down a bunch of mobs that can't hope to touch you and then get easily obliterated by some elite you didn't notice. In VS it's less that they're particularly dangerous, and more that you've set up a kill zone around yourself within which no normal enemy can hope to reach you, then some boss that is just a flashing sprite like anyone else just walks up to you and you die within a second or 2 if you don't realize and move away.

Also the maps feel very long even if they're just 30 minutes. I feel like past 15-20 minutes a run has basically ended and the rest is mostly victory lap so wish they would end sooner.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phigs posted:

Started playing Vampire Survivors and it's got that same thing people here were describing about TOME where you are mowing down a bunch of mobs that can't hope to touch you and then get easily obliterated by some elite you didn't notice. In VS it's less that they're particularly dangerous, and more that you've set up a kill zone around yourself within which no normal enemy can hope to reach you, then some boss that is just a flashing sprite like anyone else just walks up to you and you die within a second or 2 if you don't realize and move away.

Also the maps feel very long even if they're just 30 minutes. I feel like past 15-20 minutes a run has basically ended and the rest is mostly victory lap so wish they would end sooner.
You unlock a 15 minute mode later which is faster and harder.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Phigs posted:

you can also start investing in Curse levels too once you unlock it, makes it harder to stay ahead of the curve and makes optimal builds more necessary. Tbh Vampire Survivors isn't really a hard game barring some of the esoteric strats to get some secrets you'd never figure out without the internet. It's just kind of a relaxing bullet hell simulator, except you are the bullet hell and there's a (mostly) hard stopping point time wise.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 8, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

a bullet heaven, perhaps

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I bought Tainted Grail Conquest and am having fun with it. But for an indie game with not particularly amazing graphics, it has some major performance issues on my system. My comp is chugging harder than when I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077, even on fullscreen, vysnc, 60 FPS cap, and low settings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay so Rogue Legacy 2 might actually be the best game i've ever played, somehow, and it also somehow gives me real oldschool NetHack flashbacks, despite being almost nothing like it

i also am stupid and only realized today that bones files were the original meta progression tools

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Phigs posted:

Aren't flashing sprites explicitly just enemies that will explode if you let them get close?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Loot River popped up on Game Pass so I gave it about an hour before realizing I wasn't having any fun at all.

The game's central idea is pretty neat: navigating around flooded cities on platforms shaped like Tetris pieces. You control your dude with the left stick and the platform you're currently on with the right stick. The combat is trying to be kind of soulsborne-ish, except the game is viewed from an almost top down perspective and the characters are tiny and often poorly contrasted against background textures.

This leads to a game where the combat just feels rotten. You're supposed to be doing very precise dodges, except it's hard to make any drat sense of the attack animations. Your weapons do extremely little damage, your attacks come off slow and sometimes the weapons just almost seem broken, because they have such small attack ranges. I found myself going "wait, I must be using this wrong" multiple times, but never could figure out what (if anything) I was doing wrong. The game also features typical roguelite loot, except it's insanely limited. You just get the same two starting weapons over and over again until you grind up enough meta currency to unlock new drop options, which takes several runs per item. It's just not fun.

It feels like they had one good idea (zooming around on Tetris pieces) and then couldn't exactly figure out how to round out the rest of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGwv2TfoF8

Thirsty Dog posted:

Aren't flashing sprites explicitly just enemies that will explode if you let them get close?

Yes.

Bosses aren't flashing sprites, they are larger than normal mobs and often have unique sprites. The flashing enemies are suicide bombs.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 8, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah i REALLY wanted to like Loot River but it's just... boring

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Thirsty Dog posted:

I mean flashing white from taking damage.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

precision posted:

i also am stupid and only realized today that bones files were the original meta progression tools

Teenage me desperately wanting to delete bones files because I'm getting my rear end kicked by my former selves but unwilling to do so because I'm hardcore

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Splicer posted:

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. It looks like cogmind is the only cogmind so I'll give the pseudo-ascii another go!

I saw https://store.steampowered.com/app/1117480/Dead_Hand/ on steam once upon a time but never played it. Allegedly it is a 3d version of that sort of Cogmind style mouseholing and scavenging.

Also Mainframe Defenders is what Bionic Dues billed itself as. A squad based mech customization game. Lots of shooting through walls and heat management. I can never keep myself from abusing sentry turrets and mines in Bionic Dues.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did bones files originate with Nethack? I always liked the idea of them, especially if you played on a server and could leave messages as weird graffiti someone else could stumble upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

habituallyred posted:

I saw https://store.steampowered.com/app/1117480/Dead_Hand/ on steam once upon a time but never played it. Allegedly it is a 3d version of that sort of Cogmind style mouseholing and scavenging.

Also Mainframe Defenders is what Bionic Dues billed itself as. A squad based mech customization game. Lots of shooting through walls and heat management. I can never keep myself from abusing sentry turrets and mines in Bionic Dues.

Oh yeah mainframe defenders was pretty cool