Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don’t mean to diminish what these protestors are doing but, as the saying goes, you don’t get civil rights in the 60s without MLK JR and Malcom X.

You can clearly see in both videos the threat of state sanctioned violence, rendering the protests as pretty meaningless on their own.

I think you need to remove the sanitised MLK from your head and look at history about what he was actually doing and how his campaigns were received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Warren destroyed all her credibility, dunno about Polis.

I think one thing we can be sure if is that it's going to be a dumpster fire.

I could easily have missed it, but what did Warren do to destroy her credibility?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ReidRansom posted:

That was Chris Matthews, I believe.

I thought it was Ted Nugent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought it was Ted Nugent.

Ted Nugent was the one who declared he would end up either dead or in jail if Obama were re-elected, then disappointed us on both counts

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Credibility of her strategy probably, her personal brand or image hasn't changed much and her base hasn't been scared off or anything. She tried to split the difference between the technocrats and commies and did worse than either as a result. In what is completely my own opinion tho she'd be a better one to run with than Harris but I think it's silly to presume Biden isnt gonna go for a 2nd term barring literal death

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also yeah, Biden's running and expecting to have victory handed to him as an incumbent, the norm has been established that Democrats do not give up power, ever, until they die.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The New Democratic Party has been incredibly effective at stamping out primary challengers and enforcing their neoliberal orthodoxy on everyone. Yeah they gently caress up sometimes when they're overconfident or not paying attention (AOC), but they aint gonna forget to pay attention to a presidential race.

You saw how they cleared the field in 2015 and in March 2020 once they'd settled on a candidate, if Biden can still remember his name and get through a convention speech without needing a diaper change he'll be the candidate in 2024.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don’t mean to diminish what these protestors are doing but, as the saying goes, you don’t get civil rights in the 60s without MLK JR and Malcom X.

You can clearly see in both videos the threat of state sanctioned violence, rendering the protests as pretty meaningless on their own.

What are you suggesting should be done differently?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Steve Schmidt is having a real one on Twitter. Just full on meltdown.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Steve Schmidt is having a real one on Twitter. Just full on meltdown.

Good for him, hope it takes him and whoever he’s targeting down.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also yeah, Biden's running and expecting to have victory handed to him as an incumbent, the norm has been established that Democrats do not give up power, ever, until they die.

When's the last incumbent president of either party that hasn't run?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ LBJ.

VitalSigns posted:

The New Democratic Party has been incredibly effective at stamping out primary challengers and enforcing their neoliberal orthodoxy on everyone. Yeah they gently caress up sometimes when they're overconfident or not paying attention (AOC), but they aint gonna forget to pay attention to a presidential race.

You saw how they cleared the field in 2015 and in March 2020 once they'd settled on a candidate, if Biden can still remember his name and get through a convention speech without needing a diaper change he'll be the candidate in 2024.

Cognitive decline is not usually reversible, even with the new wonder drugs.

And who the hell knows what impeachment hearings will turn up for The Big Guy if the GOP takes the House & Senate.

Nothing has improved Biden's standing since last summer: Not post-covid return-to-normal, not Russia going to war against Ukraine, not the extensions of student-loan forbearance--not even the advance tax credits parents were getting deposited until January.

Biden is the current face of inflation & shortages, even though it's beyond his control. Much like Jimmy Carter, he's going to be the fall guy, bc the face of the party is the one who takes the blame. eta: But unlike Carter, the party will convince him to not run.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

The quintessential boomer white moderate moron here.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's still very, very funny to me that McCain's book about being a bad Republican or whatever sold worse than random self-published vampire erotica does.

Bad sign for Kasich-types probably considering how enmeshed the whole "pay someone to write a book and some donor buys a million copies to donate to campaigns to give out for fundraising" scheme is in the right wing grift

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ElrondHubbard posted:

I could easily have missed it, but what did Warren do to destroy her credibility?

The blood test thing was one of the dumbest things a politician could do, nobody should have taken her seriously after that. And that's without even getting into her attempt to smear Sanders as a raging misogynist.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kalit posted:

What are you suggesting should be done differently?

For a fascist takeover of our institutions? The most effective solutions aren't allowed to be discussed on here.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Have you seen all the Lincoln Project videos on the SCOTUS Abortion Thing?

No?

Neither have I.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bishyaler posted:

For a fascist takeover of our institutions? The most effective solutions aren't allowed to be discussed on here.

You're also not going to do them, so I don't get the point of whining about the mod tyranny of not letting you publicly fantasize about them.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Bishyaler posted:

Professor Beetus posted:

You're also not going to do them, so I don't get the point of whining about the mod tyranny of not letting you publicly fantasize about them.

To be fair even if mods didn't intervene discussing and planning such things here would be idiotic. You need a lot more people on-board and tuned in too. Work on organizing, informing people and influencing their attitude and demands is putting pieces in place at least.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Professor Beetus posted:

When has that been a requirement to discuss political actions?

Im not getting into why you don't for 'please don't get an agency knocking on our doors', but that reasoning there sucks

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

World Famous W posted:

Im not getting into why you don't for 'please don't get an agency knocking on our doors', but that reasoning there sucks

Nah, it's masturbatory fantasy that is meant to imply that other people are less committed to opposing fascism than the op, which is what I'm calling out here.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

World Famous W posted:

It would be nice if we could somehow figure out a way to discuss the fact that revolutions and violence happen, social forces can force that into happening even if no one is an accelerationist with their foot on the peddle. I get not wanting people to go "I'm going to go commit a crime" but there should be room to discuss "this will probably get people to commit crimes".

Either way it's incredibly funny that the current mod response is just "Shut up unless you're actually going to pull the trigger you loser".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

It would be nice if we could somehow figure out a way to discuss the fact that revolutions and violence happen, social forces can force that into happening even if no one is an accelerationist with their foot on the peddle. I get not wanting people to go "I'm going to go commit a crime" but there should be room to discuss "this will probably get people to commit crimes".

Either way it's incredibly funny that the current mod response is just "Shut up unless you're actually going to pull the trigger you loser".

It was probably poor wording on my part, but as I stated above my annoyance with it is that it's typically used to project moral superiority over other posters with a meaningless hypothetical.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

It was probably poor wording on my part, but as I stated above my annoyance with it is that it's typically used to project moral superiority over other posters with a meaningless hypothetical.

Oh I'm with you it's just funny because it implies that someone showing up with receipts would be seen as in the moral right and allowed to discuss their crimes.txt. While that wouldn't happen, it's very funny to imagine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The masturbatory violence fantasies serve another purpose; they undermine moderation and poo poo up the thread by dismissing all other discussion as meaningless.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh I'm with you it's just funny because it implies that someone showing up with receipts would be seen as in the moral right and allowed to discuss their crimes.txt. While that wouldn't happen, it's very funny to imagine.

Tiny Toes Adventure was some of the funniest content I've seen this site produce in ten years but yeah, I think at the very least showing up and protesting at the homes of SC Justices is worth lauding rather than making GBS threads on.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think boomers and supreme court justices should just learn to live with outcomes they don't agree with.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

Tiny Toes Adventure was some of the funniest content I've seen this site produce in ten years but yeah, I think at the very least showing up and protesting at the homes of SC Justices is worth lauding rather than making GBS threads on.

Eh, I don't think it's making GBS threads on them. It's just a pretty sober and understanding statement from virtualcolorBOY that if the police are there keeping the Justices safe with no threat it's probably not going to change anyone's minds. And there's nothing factually incorrect about what Bishalyer said if you don't read it as a personal insult.

The protests are definitely good through and if people stay angry they will likely escalate, especially if the current safety they're feeling galvanizes people like Thomas to continue to act like a god king giving orders from the eternal tomb.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 8, 2022

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
https://twitter.com/AlexanderShur/status/1523320097993076737

poo poo is happening whether it's posted on this forum or not, and that is some well written graffiti.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Don't think I ever publicly noted this but PeterCat is no longer threadbanned from USCE, so it isn't necessary to report him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

Eh, I don't think it's making GBS threads on them. It's just a pretty sober and understanding statement from virtualcolorBOY that if the police are there keeping the Justices safe with no threat it's probably not going to change anyone's minds. And there's nothing factually incorrect about what Bishalyer said if you don't read it as a personal insult.

The protests are definitely good through and if people stay angry they will likely escalate, especially if the current safety they're feeling galvanizes people like Thomas to continue to act like a god king giving orders from the eternal tomb.

Perhaps not explicitly but I think they're implicitly dismissive in a way that doesn't really contribute to the discussion in a worthwhile way. Not in a moderation sense, it's just something that I personally don't happen to agree with.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd say that a better way to put it is that civil protests like this are necessary, but not sufficient, for protecting human rights in this country. With an acknowledgement that what could be sufficient is also extremely dangerous.

I wish I could offer a plan of action that is both safe and effective but the sad reality is that there simply isn't one :shrug:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ran Mad Dog posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexanderShur/status/1523320097993076737

poo poo is happening whether it's posted on this forum or not, and that is some well written graffiti.

The cursive graffiti feels like a live laugh love mom read the "Aren't you tired of being nice? Don't you just want to go ape poo poo" meme.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

selec posted:

Good for him, hope it takes him and whoever he’s targeting down.

Palin, McCain, Meghan McCain just unhinged ranting.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

tbf The ruling class are generally extremely sensitive to even the most minor inconvenience since they've structured society in general so that it serves them exclusively.

Not saying it'll change things of course, vcB's point on that stands, but it is probably pissing them off immeasurably.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

“We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "gently caress" on their airplanes because it's obscene!”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

The quintessential boomer white moderate moron here.

Pretty terrifying he’s considered a moderate now.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Bishyaler posted:

Wouldn't the most effective solution be to vote in politicians that will enact solutions, since that's how laws are passed/changed? Considering the majority of the population already want Roe V Wade to be upheld, no one of the general populace needs to be convinced to have their mind changed.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kalit posted:

Wouldn't the most effective solution be to vote in politicians that will enact solutions, since that's how laws are passed/changed? Considering the majority of the population already want Roe V Wade to be upheld, no one of the general populace needs to be convinced to have their mind changed.

What’s your best, most realistic timeline for this to occur? And what should be done about the lives of women and doctors until that realistic horizon is reached?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

The cursive graffiti feels like a live laugh love mom read the "Aren't you tired of being nice? Don't you just want to go ape poo poo" meme.

Feels very false flag to me. In before they announce the assistant director of the place is being arraigned for arson and filing false statements.