Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Issuing commands definitely should not be the same button as selecting commands.

It does so much well though. The way the game starts, with the random map and blind pick starting location, is particularly great.

e: I see why the tutorial says "DON'T START IN THE CORNER." Every single game my opponent has wound up starting near a map edge and I've just happily marched infantry to every corner of the world for mad stacks of cash while containing the other guy.

e2: Something that's not obvious is that after a match, when you're viewing the results screen, you're still in a game lobby with the opponent. You can just rematch immediately if you both want. Just played a great Bo3 with someone that was super educational and fun (if long). The last game was the most fun island map game of any RTS that I've played, too, with players fighting over oceanic oil rigs on one flank while conducting amphibious landing operations on an island chain on the opposite flank.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I just learned about something that really really ought to be in the tutorials, in giant glowing letters: HASTE MODE!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I wish there was more info on order priority. I'd like to make some complex order setups like a point order to drop commandos, and then the commandos follow arrow orders away.

It seems like point orders are more important than arrows so they'll just stick at a point forever.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Been playing this all weekend and really loving it. I hope the team games doesn't take too long. Would be nice if a new multiplayer strategy game wasn't dead in a month.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Not having AI so that you can do comp stomps with a buddy is a big bummer

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Been playing this all weekend and really loving it. I hope the team games doesn't take too long. Would be nice if a new multiplayer strategy game wasn't dead in a month.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold out much hope. The game is good but the developer's strategy of betting on pure competitive 1v1 multiplayer, with stated hopes for esports adoption, is just not smart.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Not having AI so that you can do comp stomps with a buddy is a big bummer

Waaaay to many RTS devs sleep on this. They usually just add a basic AI and forget about it. I'm a huge RTS fan and have played pretty much all of them at one point or another, but 90% of my play time is singleplayer skirmish. Same with the friends i play those RTS with.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Not being able to do a quick vs ai game to work out mechanics definitely kneecaps it even as someone looking for MP

Game is cool though. Like many "we're eliminating micro to let you actually focus on the strategy part of real time strategy!" mechanics attempts it's mostly accomplished "a different kind of micro." But this kind of micro is unique and interesting, and strategy is legit more important. I wish stuff moved a little faster though

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 8, 2022

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Yeah this is a great game, maybe filling a bit of a niche of 4x gameplay without the poo poo AI, whilst having RTS that isn’t all about how fast you can click.

Sneaky commandos round the back is a glorious move. Watch the replays from the opponents pov and their towns and oil rigs gets destroyed in fog of war without seeing a single soul, and just a quick sound notification to let you know your economy is hosed as your opponents main force rolls in the front entrance.

There’s been at least 2 games where I’ve been whittled down to just my last couple troops but have been able to push back and fight for the win when I thought it was over, usually thanks to late coming air support before they have anti air with their invasion forces. The game punishes your mistakes but you can also get the time to realign and go again if you can hold on and keep an economy going, and tactics like diversionary attacks, probing raids and ambushes can all be achieved and works great when you have a largely hidden force or you cut off their invading force in two with hidden troops coming into the flank. loving great stuff!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ninjewtsu posted:

Not being able to do a quick vs ai game to work out mechanics definitely kneecaps it even as someone looking for MP

This is huge. I got the free SC2 version so I didn't even know what non-Terran units did before I got thrown into comp matches where you couldn't pick the AI difficulty because it scaled automatically

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
The game is a labour of love by 2 part time developers. It’s almost more of a concept than a full game.

Speaking to one of the devs on stream they apparently turned away some big publishers because they were worried about their overall control of the game and licenses etc.

Whether that’s for better or worse I dunno. The game certainly has a lot of quirks you need to work around that compromise the idea of easy management somewhat, and as it’s 2 guys passion project I do question how far up the list some of the user experience improvements it could do with are, like; changing key commands, better colours, not being purely reliant on sound for certain notifications.

As far as AI goes; a tutorial game on a predetermined start; with actions the computer player would undertake automatically similar to what a decent player would do would be fine to get people started.

Otherwise I just feel the game is too dynamic and there are too many starting strats to make for a viable typical ai - save for training a self learning one (which would be pretty neat).

It still deserves your support if you enjoy strategy because it does so much well in a simpler way than either 4x or rts games; let alone combined.

There is a lot going on in Line War but it’s also easier to get going; and really satisfying to play when everything comes together. But better players will harass the poo poo out of you and gain so much more territory to new or worse players it’s pretty easy to get overwhelmed. So it does need some tweaking/middle ground almost, and patience. I can see why people are turned off by the lack of AI in that regard.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Nice job marketing director I bought 7 copies while reading your post, one for each paragraph

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Thanks! Hopefully see you online :) I do kinda feel bad for the devs because even I want to take the idea of line drawn strategy rts and build a polished product out of it. I do actually think these guys maybe spawned a new genre offshoot and some other studio is going to make something substantial with the ideas here.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I tried out Cantata and Songs of Conquest. Songs of Conquest made for a pretty decent intro, though apparently the difficulty is very overtuned once you escape the tutorials. The devs made a steam announcement that they are going to dial it back now that they realize not everyone is as intimately familiar with the systems as their pre EA beta testers. Beautiful pixel art, solid production values, a little disappointing that the campaigns are 4+4 missions and you don't get one for the necromancers yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what future development generates.

Cantata has a tutorial that soft-locks if you attack too early or move to the wrong spot. Not a great initial impression, but I plan to try it again with a friend in a little bit.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
This was a fun RTS game mechanic that didn't catch on

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What is it? Attaching messages to beacons? You could do that in RA2 and it was occasionally pretty useful! Over the years I've come to realize that game had quite a few novel mechanics. Beat wc3 to neutral buildings by almost 2 years. God I loved that era.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Here's the classic from teh_pwnerer:

My PC was never good enough to run Zero Hour at the time, and by the time it was good enough I didn't want to give EA money anymore. It was one of those watching from the outside situations. Brood War wasn't a bad alternative at the time, but unfortunately, I really did want chat channels.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What is it? Attaching messages to beacons? You could do that in RA2 and it was occasionally pretty useful! Over the years I've come to realize that game had quite a few novel mechanics. Beat wc3 to neutral buildings by almost 2 years. God I loved that era.

Renaming cities in Rise of Nations it looks like

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That kinda middling Crossfire RTS is floundering in Early Access if anyone's interested in Starcraft-likes. I'm not really, but I'd played the beta and my general thought was "I'll check it out if it's free"...which it isn't.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072190/Crossfire_Legion/

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

in strategic command, are your only choices axis vs allies or can you pick a country and just run that ones war?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

jaegerx posted:

in strategic command, are your only choices axis vs allies or can you pick a country and just run that ones war?

You’re limited to the 5-9 major countries, depending on conflict, but you can play a side or a single country from among them.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mordja posted:

That kinda middling Crossfire RTS is floundering in Early Access if anyone's interested in Starcraft-likes. I'm not really, but I'd played the beta and my general thought was "I'll check it out if it's free"...which it isn't.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072190/Crossfire_Legion/
I watched some video of it and it looked really uncompelling. Being a blend of Starcraft and C&C is fine, but nothing really stood out as being interesting or innovative. Didn't see an answer to, "why should I choose this over SC2?"

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Cicero posted:

I watched some video of it and it looked really uncompelling. Being a blend of Starcraft and C&C is fine, but nothing really stood out as being interesting or innovative. Didn't see an answer to, "why should I choose this over SC2?"

Because it has chat channels and women weren't systematically abused during its development

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

They really should stop trying to make an RTS focused on "competitive multiplayer" though, that's pretty stupid. Starcraft and other successful RTSes got popular on multiplayer because they have solid singleplayer content.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yup. I wonder how much of it is it's cheaper to eschew the single player and just focus on skirmish poo poo. No voice talent, no cinematics, etc.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

What was the name of that WWI strategy game that starts with the map just AH & Serbia but then expands with the turns as other powers join the war?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Arbite posted:

What was the name of that WWI strategy game that starts with the map just AH & Serbia but then expands with the turns as other powers join the war?

Commander: The Great War

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Frost Giant is revealing their new RTS tomorrow during the Summer Game Fest for anyone who likes *Craft-style RTSes.

Negostrike posted:

They really should stop trying to make an RTS focused on "competitive multiplayer" though, that's pretty stupid. Starcraft and other successful RTSes got popular on multiplayer because they have solid singleplayer content.
I think single-player brings people in and multiplayer keeps them there. But I think SC2 wouldn't have made the huge initial splash it did if SC1 didn't have a legendary reputation from multiplayer.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, are there any newer Master of Magic style games out there? I've already done MoM, the Age of Wonders games, the Elemental line of games, Endless Legend, and the Warlock games and I'm not a big fan of the way the Heroes of Might and Magic games play. I'm looking for something in the same line but with a fresh coat of paint. Anything newish out there?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

jng2058 posted:

Hey, are there any newer Master of Magic style games out there? I've already done MoM, the Age of Wonders games, the Elemental line of games, Endless Legend, and the Warlock games and I'm not a big fan of the way the Heroes of Might and Magic games play. I'm looking for something in the same line but with a fresh coat of paint. Anything newish out there?
2 options, neither of which I can whole-heartedly recommend.

You might like Brigandine. The price is a bit steep for what's basically a remaster of a playstation game, but I remember enjoying it a lot during the original playstation release.

Wizards and Warlords on steam is an indie version of MoM. It's fun once but it has some mechanics like being able to build improvements on every hex and staff them with civilians that gets very grindy. The AI is also very hit or miss. Sometimes it does well, more often in my experience it doesn't do much of anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yup. I wonder how much of it is it's cheaper to eschew the single player and just focus on skirmish poo poo. No voice talent, no cinematics, etc.

300%

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

jng2058 posted:

Have you ever played any of the Fall From Heaven 2 mods for Civ4?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's lot of percents

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

LLSix posted:

2 options, neither of which I can whole-heartedly recommend.

You might like Brigandine. The price is a bit steep for what's basically a remaster of a playstation game, but I remember enjoying it a lot during the original playstation release.

Wizards and Warlords on steam is an indie version of MoM. It's fun once but it has some mechanics like being able to build improvements on every hex and staff them with civilians that gets very grindy. The AI is also very hit or miss. Sometimes it does well, more often in my experience it doesn't do much of anything.

Oh yeah, I forgot about W&W. I've got that and bounced off it for exactly those reasons.

Might look into Brigandine, though. Thanks!

Lowen posted:

Have you ever played any of the Fall From Heaven 2 mods for Civ4?

I have! Those are a good time too, no doubt. Kinda looking for something newer than 2005, though that is a classic of the genre. :)

Has everyone just ditched the MoM format? Even Triumph went sci-fi with Age of Wonders: Planetfall! :sigh:

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

MoM is being remade by MuHa games.

Rebalanced/addition MoM mod Caster of Magic is standalone available on Steam. The Warlords modmod adds a bunch of units.

Ebennar is a fantasy mod for grand strategy game Europa Universalis IV.

Songs of the Eons is under development.

Thea and Thea 2 are not true 4X games, but might scratch your fantasy itch.

Perhaps you like the Total War Warhammer series. More focus on battles with lots of troops.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

There's also dominions...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

MoM is being remade by MuHa games.

Rebalanced/addition MoM mod Caster of Magic is standalone available on Steam. The Warlords modmod adds a bunch of units.

Ebennar is a fantasy mod for grand strategy game Europa Universalis IV.

Songs of the Eons is under development.

Thea and Thea 2 are not true 4X games, but might scratch your fantasy itch.

Perhaps you like the Total War Warhammer series. More focus on battles with lots of troops.

I hadn't heard about the remake, that's spify. They claim it'll be out this year to boot! Nice.

I've done Total Warhammer and that is nice when I want big sweeping army battles, but I always find the strategy layer to be kinda weak.

Might as well poke the Caster of Magic for a fix until MuHa's MoM is available. That and Brigandine mentioned above.

yeti friend posted:

There's also dominions...

Also true, though I haven't played that since D4.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Haven't played it, but Conquest of Elysium 5?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Is it time to evangelize Shadows of Forbidden Gods again? I feel like it's time to evangelize Shadows of Forbidden Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Haven't played it, but Conquest of Elysium 5?

Maybe, though I might as well go get Dominions 5 in that case.

Corbeau posted:

Is it time to evangelize Shadows of Forbidden Gods again? I feel like it's time to evangelize Shadows of Forbidden Gods.

Looks interesting, but I never invest in Early Access. Come remind me when it goes into full release.