Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sure they outright admitted that it was a sell-out so Gibby could buy as much heroin as possible, but Electriclarryland got some jams. I've never managed to make it through a single sitting of Weird Revolution, though (See also: King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime).

EDIT: New page! Today I'm cleaning my apartment (I'm in SF for The Residents next weekend, friends gotta come check on the cat and I don't want them knowing I live in filth) and spinning records.

Definitely my favorite album of the last 20, 25 years.

DOUBLE EDIT: Rembrandt Pussyhorse is objectively the best Butthole Surfers record, though. :colbert:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

Sure they outright admitted that it was a sell-out so Gibby could buy as much heroin as possible, but Electriclarryland got some jams. I've never managed to make it through a single sitting of After the Astronaut, though (See also: King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime).

The middle bit of King For A Day is tough sledding sometimes. Definitely an album from a time when it was very easy to hit the Skip button

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Right now!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

I don't recognize the album, but that art and vinyl are amazing.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Frozen Peach posted:

I don't recognize the album, but that art and vinyl are amazing.

Sorry, Nekrogoblikon – The Fundamental Slimes and Humours. House band of my favorite talk show:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DkRem8d9KE4

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Oooh, nice. I lost my autographed copy of Heavy Meta, I've got a picture of John grabbing me by the nose ring with his fist pulled back somewhere.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Toe Rag posted:

This is also known as being well adjusted.

We don't do that here.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

lol vinyls

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
The Vinyls Thread - 2 vinyls and 8lbs of other poo poo

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Bandit posted:

The Vinyls Thread - 2 vinyls and 8lbs of other poo poo

Unless your vinyl weighs a ton you ain't got poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I like that they spelled the word "smith" all old timey so you know it's fancy. Only the finest craftsmanship from whatever factory in a third world country where this was made by people who get five dollars a day to do it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The Dismemberment Plans’ Emergency & I is back in press. Hoping they do Change again and the early catalog as well.

https://www.barsuk.com/shop/bark103

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Schremp Howard posted:

The Dismemberment Plans’ Emergency & I is back in press. Hoping they do Change again and the early catalog as well.

https://www.barsuk.com/shop/bark103

Hell yeah, thanks for the heads up! I'm getting an extra to surprise my friend, but I'm not 100% sure if he already has a copy. If it turns out he does, I'll come back here to see if anyone wants it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

marjorie posted:

Hell yeah, thanks for the heads up! I'm getting an extra to surprise my friend, but I'm not 100% sure if he already has a copy. If it turns out he does, I'll come back here to see if anyone wants it.

Happy to share! I've been waiting for this to come back in stock for a long time.

I haven't received my order yet but I got the tip from a store in Portland called AstronautSaint Records via reddit. They have a pretty decent selection online and offered free shipping at $75, so I picked up this, Yumi Zouma, and Jawbreaker. They seem like pretty cool people and if all goes well in shipping I'll be buying from them again.

https://www.astronautsaintrecords.com/

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Schremp Howard posted:

Happy to share! I've been waiting for this to come back in stock for a long time.

I haven't received my order yet but I got the tip from a store in Portland called AstronautSaint Records via reddit. They have a pretty decent selection online and offered free shipping at $75, so I picked up this, Yumi Zouma, and Jawbreaker. They seem like pretty cool people and if all goes well in shipping I'll be buying from them again.

https://www.astronautsaintrecords.com/

Oh drat, I'm actually in Portland, so I could've just hopped in to grab a copy, whoops! Gonna have to check these guys out sometime.

E: Haha whoops, could've saved $14 between shipping and the little discount they're offering even if I did get it shipped from AstronautSaint. Oh well, getting a tote from that other link!

marjorie fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 10, 2022

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Here is a weird kinda depressing doc about vinyl collecting. Haven't gone through it all yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkCMSrvOTAo

As someone who has a couple thousand records I see a little of myself in some of these people. For me it started as a cheap way to acquire music but it has obviously evolved into something else. I tell myself that I will play all these on my mixcloud show (or if I ever dj out again). But there is obviously something more to it than that. I relate to the hunt. I definitely relate to the getting rid of and regretting it (Thus my reluctance in getting rid of all my boomer rock. I liked it once? So I will probably want to revisit it at some point). Part of me really likes having these things that not many other people have. When a fellow collector comes up and asks what the gently caress you are playing kinda makes it all worth it. I dunno. I have never collected to the point where it was very detrimental to to my life. For a while we lived in a cramped apartment and that was the closest I got to dumping it all. I spend within my means and keep it mostly contained to one room. Still the thought of getting rid of all of it crosses my mind a lot. Sorry for the rambling. Anyways. Here is the record I am listening to right now.

Haha. Like why do I keep poo poo like this. Well. It has a couple songs I don't have on other albums and I probably wouldn't get poo poo selling it. So dumb poo poo like this stays in the collection.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't need to watch a youtube video to see a depressing story about a record collector.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I don't need to watch a youtube video to see a depressing story about a record collector.

Yeah. This one might not be for you. It seems he cherry picked the horder-ish weirdos for this. A lot of flipping through piles thrift store dreck and not a lot of cool collections. It's a weird doc. Bonus Harvey Pekar being the most normal one in it haha.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I think we've touched on this subject in here before, but I think that the fact you were able to say "oh btw this is what I'm listening to right now" means you're doing okay. You're not just collecting for the sake of collecting, you're actively enjoying the stuff.

Not to get all Seinfeld-y "not that there's anything wrong with that," but... I'm not trying to throw shade on collectors that just collect necessarily, it's just that the hoarding tends to crop up when you can't stop yourself from acquiring stuff even if you'll probably never use or look at it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

marjorie posted:

I think we've touched on this subject in here before, but I think that the fact you were able to say "oh btw this is what I'm listening to right now" means you're doing okay. You're not just collecting for the sake of collecting, you're actively enjoying the stuff.

Not to get all Seinfeld-y "not that there's anything wrong with that," but... I'm not trying to throw shade on collectors that just collect necessarily, it's just that the hoarding tends to crop up when you can't stop yourself from acquiring stuff even if you'll probably never use or look at it.

What if you have several hobbies that all involve or encourage gathering up a bunch of poo poo but it's never enough and you never stop because you just want to have any moment at all where you just feel something positive and the brief rush you get from that has less and less of a return every single time?

Is that technically hoarding?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 11, 2022

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

What if you have several hobbies that all involve or encourage gathering up a bunch of poo poo but it's never enough and you never stop because you just want to have any moment at all where you just feel something positive and the brief rush you get from that has less and less of a return every single time?

Is that technically hoarding?

Well if you can still walk through your home you're probably fine? I think what saves me is that I purge whenever I move and I've moved a lot as an adult. The stretches in places are starting to get longer though, so might need to figure out another way to check myself.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

marjorie posted:

Well if you can still walk through your home you're probably fine? I think what saves me is that I purge whenever I move and I've moved a lot as an adult. The stretches in places are starting to get longer though, so might need to figure out another way to check myself.

I prefer to think that if I die before civilization collapses and the only thing worth anything is food and water someone's going to have a huge payday on their hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTH_mGg_rVw

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

sporklift posted:

Here is a weird kinda depressing doc about vinyl collecting. Haven't gone through it all yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkCMSrvOTAo

im watching that and lol at the part where the narrator steps on one of the ppls records and they get super mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkCMSrvOTAo&t=5831s

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
My solution was to stop buying poo poo for collections I stopped caring about and start selling them, while being super picky about what I buy for the collections I still enjoy. Went all in on quality over quantity.

Isn't a good chunk of hoarding being unable to get rid of things? As long as you curate a collection and periodically remove mistakes, duplicates, and disappointments one ought to be fine.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Isn't a good chunk of hoarding being unable to get rid of things? As long as you curate a collection and periodically remove mistakes, duplicates, and disappointments one ought to be fine.

One issue (that I also suffer from) could be thinking that your poo poo is too valuable and needing to sell things instead of get rid of them, and then either you don’t get what you’re looking for or it’s just a pain to sell and you don’t do it.

Then boom - horde

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah I dont collect a bands complete discography (besides like Talking Heads, which its the Talking Heads and that's just one band) and I'm constantly selling poo poo. I feel good about my collection now, maybe some stuff I may re-appraise and see if I'm still into it periodically and I've been thinking of getting on this flipping my colored discs for just basic black versions of albums. Like that Run The Jewels 2 4 disc set with the instrumentals is cool, but I kinda just want a basic copy of it with just the album. I never spin the instrumentals and I only bought it because it was legit the last one available anywhere at their show. It was the one that was taped down to the table so people have something to point at when they want to buy it when I saw them back then.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

dorium posted:

Yeah I dont collect a bands complete discography (besides like Talking Heads, which its the Talking Heads and that's just one band) and I'm constantly selling poo poo.

Don't mind me, nervously looking at my Pointer Sisters and L.T.D. collections...

dorium posted:

Like that Run The Jewels 2 4 disc set with the instrumentals is cool, but I kinda just want a basic copy of it with just the album. I never spin the instrumentals and I only bought it because it was legit the last one available anywhere at their show.

Gimmie!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

dorium posted:

Yeah I dont collect a bands complete discography (besides like Talking Heads, which its the Talking Heads and that's just one band) and I'm constantly selling poo poo. I feel good about my collection now, maybe some stuff I may re-appraise and see if I'm still into it periodically and I've been thinking of getting on this flipping my colored discs for just basic black versions of albums. Like that Run The Jewels 2 4 disc set with the instrumentals is cool, but I kinda just want a basic copy of it with just the album. I never spin the instrumentals and I only bought it because it was legit the last one available anywhere at their show. It was the one that was taped down to the table so people have something to point at when they want to buy it when I saw them back then.

You know what's fun, Naked's (Nothing But) Flowers is a different edit. The intro is cut down to but the instrumental bridge is edited quite differently. The biggest difference is that you get a bunch more organ.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm getting to the point where I need to start cutting down my collection a bit, but I feel bad cutting out some of the stuff I'm most likely to drop because it feels like I'd be stripping out a bunch of the diversity in genre and style, basically proving that yeah, I'm actually pretty boring

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

One issue (that I also suffer from) could be thinking that your poo poo is too valuable and needing to sell things instead of get rid of them, and then either you don’t get what you’re looking for or it’s just a pain to sell and you don’t do it.

Then boom - horde

Yeah. I have fallen in that trap before. Ended up with a basement full of stuff, that while probably worth some money, was not worth my time to sell.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

sporklift posted:

Yeah. I have fallen in that trap before. Ended up with a basement full of stuff, that while probably worth some money, was not worth my time to sell.

I only have a full kallax but that’s how I feel about my LEGO collection. It’s valued high 6 digits but I can’t be bothered. Pokémon cards too.

Sometimes I really just want to sell 95% of everything and go super minimal and just keep records but the effort is way too much.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

IG-88 posted:

I only have a full kallax but that’s how I feel about my LEGO collection.It’s valued high 6 digits but I can’t be bothered. Pokémon cards too.

Sometimes I really just want to sell 95% of everything and go super minimal and just keep records but the effort is way too much.

You have almost a million dollars worth of Legos but can't be bothered to sell it??? Sounds like if you made the effort you could just retire, yeesh.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

I’m a moron who started buying weird auction lots to sell stuff. I’ve made more than I spent but I have have all sorts of junk leftover.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

marjorie posted:

You have almost a million dollars worth of Legos but can't be bothered to sell it??? Sounds like if you made the effort you could just retire, yeesh.

I don’t know if a million dollars is enough to retire on when you’re a person who spent a million dollars on legos

marjorie
May 4, 2014

BigFactory posted:

I don’t know if a million dollars is enough to retire on when you’re a person who spent a million dollars on legos

Ha, that's a good point. Though I wasn't sure if there was a collectable market in Legos, like maybe they spent a small fraction of that on it but the value rose.

Either way, I'd be happy to be their Marie Kondo influence for a piece of that pie.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I buy everything at thrift stores and garage sales so while everything I have is worth more than I paid for it, I have no desire to grade and sell records that are imperfect condition online. I'm going to have a garage sale in a few weeks and throw together a couple bins of stuff that I never listen to and try to get $2/per. And then anything leftover just sell in one lot on Facebook or something.

I'm only keeping one out of three Garth sets...

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

IG-88 posted:

I only have a full kallax but that’s how I feel about my LEGO collection. It’s valued high 6 digits but I can’t be bothered. Pokémon cards too.

How much money do you have that you can't be bothered to spend a little time to earn an easy $1 million?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

I buy everything at thrift stores and garage sales so while everything I have is worth more than I paid for it, I have no desire to grade and sell records that are imperfect condition online. I'm going to have a garage sale in a few weeks and throw together a couple bins of stuff that I never listen to and try to get $2/per. And then anything leftover just sell in one lot on Facebook or something.

I'm only keeping one out of three Garth sets...

Ha I was going to do this with bulk records and CDs of mine, and do $3 per and 2 for $5 on the records and a buck on CDs. The fact that there is a definite date set for the garage sale I'm doing has been a great motivator.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

How much money do you have that you can't be bothered to spend a little time to earn an easy $1 million?

How is selling a million dollars worth of Legos easy? It’s only worth that much if you sell it set by set for maximum value. That could take years

I also don’t understand how any kind of Lego collection could be worth that much, but I don’t get the toy market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

How is selling a million dollars worth of Legos easy? It’s only worth that much if you sell it set by set for maximum value. That could take years

I also don’t understand how any kind of Lego collection could be worth that much, but I don’t get the toy market

People pay a lot of money for discontinued sets and poo poo. Plus the pandemic made absolutely every collectables market go loving bonkers. It's not just records.