Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

The main thing that has me feeling warm about MUA3 over the first two games is that it has such fundamentally superior art direction

The colors pop, and everyone is wearing their correct clothes or some rough approximation thereof.

Meanwhile MUA2 in particular has that real nasty still-not-quite-out-of-the-PS2-mindset dingy washed out look

Yeah for all it's flaws I think 3 is better than 2 if only because of the looks. Still, 1 reigns supreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can't handle the top down view X-Men and Avengers games because my eyes and brain can't keep track of wtf is going on. It's like the entire TV screen is exploding, shooting lightning, lasers everywhere and magic spells unfolding all at once.

I get why that's fun for a lot of people, so don't get me wrong, but even playing it with friends I could barely even find my character half the time.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A few interesting developments in the world of comic book video games: Square-Enix has sold off its Eidos branch and all franchises and licenses that were part of it to Embracer Group. This includes major franchises like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Legacy of Kain, but also the licenses for the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. Whether or not these licenses will be extended depends on future renegotiations between Embracer and Disney. The Marvel licensed games didn't do well for Square-Enix and played a big part in the decision to sell Eidos.

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1521023402449903622
https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1521116016629395457

I would not be surprised if Embracer ends up pulling the plug on Avengers as soon as they can. It must be a huge money vacuum for Square-Enix at the moment and I can't imagine Embracer wanting to follow suit. Guardians of the Galaxy might fare better since it did well critically and doesn't have maintenance costs for Embracer to take on. On the other hand, Embracer may decide that they are not interested in licensing fees and revenue splits going forward and end up cutting licensed games out of their portfolio entirely.

All told, I'll be glad if Crystal Dynamics is freed from trying to revive the dead horse that is Marvel's Avengers. And I'll be doubly glad if they start working on a Legacy of Kain revival instead. :pray:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Did new Deus Ex and new Tomb Raider sell well? People seem to think fondly of them but I can't imagine Square would be in such a rush to chuck these studios out if they had done even like, Assassin Creed numbers

Veotax
May 16, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

Did new Deus Ex and new Tomb Raider sell well? People seem to think fondly of them but I can't imagine Square would be in such a rush to chuck these studios out if they had done even like, Assassin Creed numbers

Square infamously put ridiculous sales targets on their western studio's games. The 2013 Tomb Raider reboot was considered a disappointment, if not a failure. It was by far the best selling game in the series at the time.

They were pretty much expecting Call of Duty numbers from games that by all accounts sold well, but were never going to sell anywhere near that much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder about Guardians' sales. It reviewed amazingly and was honestly my game of the year but I worry that even after reassurances Avengers being Avengers hurt it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Tomb Raider series had an Xbox exclusive deal that was a really terrible idea.

People don't buy Xbox games, they sign up for Game Pass and make bad posts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder about Guardians' sales. It reviewed amazingly and was honestly my game of the year but I worry that even after reassurances Avengers being Avengers hurt it.

Avengers almost certainly hurt Guardians. I believe the original deal Square had with Marvel was for four games, but between Avengers poisoning the well and this sale, I don't see Embracer continuing with the other two games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The gist is that those studios were basically operating in the black, the profit margins were single digit percentage. Not necessarily bad, but when Square's pumping hundreds of millions for those AAA games that's not what they wanna see.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1521091428574769155

Ultimately, I think Square is smart for selling because its been over a decade since they've owned those studios and IPs and nothing of note has come out of it, so better just stop trying. Square is stupid as gently caress for not being able to turn big profit out of such big studios with such iconic IPs and it's crazy how bad they managed them. Square is double stupid for going on record saying they wanna use the money of the sale for NFT poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess it probably means Square isn't the rumored big Sony purchase though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In general I doubt we'll see huge Japanese companies getting bought out by Sony or Microsoft, just mainly because they own so much poo poo outside of gaming. Bamco and Square have comic publishing, anime studios, probably gyms like Konami, their own toy factories, etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bandai Namco's not getting bought by anyone because Bandai Namco Holdings is probably the biggest entertainment conglomerate in Japan. Outside of video game, they're the biggest toy company in the world. Bamco's the one who'll be buying poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MorningMoon posted:

In general I doubt we'll see huge Japanese companies getting bought out by Sony or Microsoft, just mainly because they own so much poo poo outside of gaming. Bamco and Square have comic publishing, anime studios, probably gyms like Konami, their own toy factories, etc.

Sony bought someone, we just don't know who yet.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wish Feige liked video games

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

The gist is that those studios were basically operating in the black, the profit margins were single digit percentage. Not necessarily bad, but when Square's pumping hundreds of millions for those AAA games that's not what they wanna see.

Part of the problem I'm sure is Marvel's IP costs are probably ridiculous. I wonder how much that Firaxis Marvel game will have to sell to turn a profit. There really wasn't an excuse for Squeenix fumbling the first Tomb Raider like they did, though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Opopanax posted:

I wish Feige liked video games

afaik, Marvel Games is the only creative division of Marvel that Feige didn't take over as part of the 2019 reorganization.

its place in Disney's corporate structure is also weird - there's one division of Disney that oversees games based on Disney-branded, Pixar, Lucasfilm, and 20th Century IP, but Marvel Games has remained separate

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We've still got Spider-Man! Also I've got some high hopes for Midnight Suns even if you don't get to smooch any of the characters.

Wasn't there something about EA making a Marvel game?

But hopefully we see more games like Guardians and Spider-Man and less like Avengers.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At least we're not getting a David Cage Marvel game, unlike that other franchise

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Wasn't there something about EA making a Marvel game?

Christ I loving hope not

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

The Tomb Raider series had an Xbox exclusive deal that was a really terrible idea.

People don't buy Xbox games, they sign up for Game Pass and make bad posts.

I'm sure none of that is hyperbole.

Except for Game Pass. You're underselling it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Since Dr. Strange is ending right now, I'd really like to see someone try making a game with him but I'm not sure how you'd go about it. I'm kind of picturing some level warping like the old Soul Reaver game where different spells twist up the layout in different ways and maybe you have to pick the right one.

Not sure how you'd really handle combat because just shooting beams is lame, telekinesis has been done and just making it a platformer sounds boring. I'd like to see a Green Lantern game too but you have similar problems there. How do you map "can literally create anything" (and also flying) to like ten buttons?

It would take a really creative developer to pull off something playable but, visually anyways, there seems like a lot of cool poo poo you could do.

Also, about due for more my quarterly post demanding a sequel to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. They wouldn't have to change poo poo. Just update the graphics and expand the levels a little bit. Also, a Daredevil game that expands on the Arkham detective mode mechanic.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You could probably start with Control and tweak some things to get a decent Dr. Strange game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Codependent Poster posted:

You could probably start with Control and tweak some things to get a decent Dr. Strange game.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. Control is one of the best non Superhero Superhero games I've played

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LucasArts adventure game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BioWare weapon wheel could work

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, about due for more my quarterly post demanding a sequel to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. They wouldn't have to change poo poo. Just update the graphics and expand the levels a little bit. Also, a Daredevil game that expands on the Arkham detective mode mechanic.

You say that, but that game based on the movie tried to ape UD, and it did a terrible job. I don't think enough credit can be given to the folks at Radical for what they did with that game. Maybe if you had a studio on Insomniac's level come along and try to ape their style like they did with the good 3D Spider-Man games...

My problem with putting Dr. Strange into a game (or someone like Green Lantern for that matter) is that it would almost certainly devolve into being a slightly weird third person shooter instead of being able to give you the full suite of freaky powers and such. Hell, I bet you wouldn't even be able to use sling ring portals properly, considering how few developers have touched that mechanic

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think you could do it with some clever tweaks. Have it play more like a Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, maybe slowed down just slightly. Strange isn't really a 1 v Many fighter, but maybe gameplay closer to Dishonored fits better. Though I like the idea of Control as well, maybe have it take place in the sanctum, and have the environment shift around him, like in control, but more often and more malicious.

Sling ring is a teleport, either short range for combat (Forward/Backwards or to the side as a quick dodge mechanic, maybe slightly souped up into a combat throw to get a little distance) or for area traversal a la Dishonored. The quick version is a single button press + direction and the long range one is aimed to a specific point.

Crimson bands act as a stun move that could hold an enemy in place, stronger version stuns longer

Runes for laying traps and generic orange circles for ranged attacks. Maybe give him the Wand of Watoomb or Staff of Living Tribunal or any of the other mystical artifact weapons he gets access to.

The cloak can provide movement options and possibly a defensive option from back attacks.

OnimaruXLR posted:

My problem with putting Dr. Strange into a game (or someone like Green Lantern for that matter) is that it would almost certainly devolve into being a slightly weird third person shooter instead of being able to give you the full suite of freaky powers and such. Hell, I bet you wouldn't even be able to use sling ring portals properly, considering how few developers have touched that mechanic

You're not wrong, per se, but how would you gamify Dr Strange's powers without having it just be a VR simulation that provides a sandbox where you press these buttons and enter these controls and the world twists and warps around you? That would be cool as hell, but it's not a game. That's an interactive Dr Strange simulator.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4pjLNb4nwE

Hey if he can enter a fighting tournament he can do anything!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think Dr. Strange is all that wild of a concept. Like sure I guess the dream is that it would be the most wildly imaginative, weirdest superhero game ever, but if we just assume a "regular" game here the premise of Dr. Strange is that he knows a bunch of spells and not that he's making stuff up on the fly and creating new things out of whole cloth in battle. In any game where you play a spellcaster I think the assumption is that there are many other spells they could/should know but for the sake of a game it's a relatively limited selection.

There could be any number of spells that are weirder or more powerful that show up as part of the story, or interactions with NPCs, or QTEs, or through puzzles/environmental interactions above and beyond what's available in the action/combat portion of the game. And even in the combat, a controller only has so many combinations of buttons but the number of actions the character can perform is many times higher, e.g. the game will choose from a big pool of moves to perform in Takedown/Finisher/Special move situations. If you're playing as Wolverine and you press the special Murderize command, the player is basically sitting back for a second watching as Wolverine turns the enemy into a charcuterie platter. It's not like Revengence where the player themselves is precisely controlling the slice 'n' dash action, it's just a tiny cinematic of a cool thing the character does. The next time you tell Wolverine to Murderize, same button presses, but Wolverine does a totally different lethal animation. When I play Spider-Man it's not like I actually have the ability to be creative with web shapes or precision targeting the way Spider-Man is, but through special moves and contextual actions and story cutscenes all that stuff is covered and there's no lack of variety or cool moves he does with webs.

I feel like Dr. Strange would be a third-person game where you would be floating around managing buffs/debuffs, shields, summons, beam type spells that need to be aimed vs spells that just hit no matter what (or have a chance to but don't require targeting), cooldowns, spell interruptions, environmental barriers/traps, some kind of willpower or focus meter, etc. And that's before doing anything fancy like if you could do portals or flip the world into a mirror dimension / astral plane or mess with time, I dunno. My mind goes to Zone of Enders when I think of the kind of fully three-dimensional control of aerial movement and ranged combat.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 6, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe something less active like a Torment game would be a better fit. Then you’re not just launching bolts of Balthakk at mooks, and you can try and solve issues in non combat ways, too

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked turning people into boxes as Dr Strange in Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I think Scarlet Witch had the same power in X-Men Legends 2.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Re: Dr Strange

I'm pretty old so not sure how many of you guys remember Soul Reaver but it had this thing where you would warp to a different plane or realm or whatever it was and the level layout would twist and change around, allowing you access to areas you couldn't reach and vice versa. I'm trying to picture some MC Escher, bendy, twisty level design where you can use different spells in different places to achieve different results without turning the whole game into a platformer and you need to pick the right spell combos to make it work

Or how to make combat interesting enough where it's not just shooting fire and lightning at things. How do the top down Diablo clone Marvel games handle Strange?

Someone brought up Control. I never played it but know about it and have seen some gameplay. I wonder if some combination of that with a dash of what Portal does might work. Also, another person mentioned Devil May Cry and that's a really cool idea too.

DMC + Control + Portal + Soul Reaver = Dr. Strange.

OnimaruXLR posted:

You say that, but that game based on the movie tried to ape UD, and it did a terrible job. I don't think enough credit can be given to the folks at Radical for what they did with that game.

I know, right?

I have no idea how they managed to gently caress up that follow up game so bad. Hulk: UD was so god damned good and was only really limited by the hardware available at the time. I think it had like 3 areas or something but I still played the hell out of it and the feeling of just Hulk Smashing the gently caress out of everything was so visceral and satisfying. I loved just sitting down with it for 30-45 minutes after a rough day at work and wrecking everything that got in my face.

Remakes are kind of a big thing right now so, hell, just remake that bitch. Get the Sony Spiderman team on it. Buff up the graphics, add some life to the areas and give us more levels. You could put Hulk in space and give us some Planet Hulk areas. Put the arena part of that comic in there, ape the Arkham games and give us a sick combo based point challenge. Beta Ray Bill and Silver Surfer as unlockable bosses.

Hell, for that matter, give us a solo Hulk movie and let Ruffalo shine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BiggerBoat posted:

Hell, for that matter, give us a solo Hulk movie and let Ruffalo shine.

This won't happen unless Disney and Universal decide to play nice with one another. Because of the massive IP sell-off that Marvel did in the mid-'90s to stave away bankruptcy, Universal owns the distribution rights for any solo Hulk movie (and that covers several other characters, like Namor), and Disney isn't exactly willing to let Universal soak up all of that sweet, sweet money. This was the same IP sell-off that saw the X-Men landing with Fox, Spider-Man being with Sony, and Universal Studios having the theme park rights to the Avengers, X-Men and Spider-Man in any park east of the Mississippi.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Timby posted:

This won't happen unless Disney and Universal decide to play nice with one another. Because of the massive IP sell-off that Marvel did in the mid-'90s to stave away bankruptcy, Universal owns the distribution rights for any solo Hulk movie (and that covers several other characters, like Namor), and Disney isn't exactly willing to let Universal soak up all of that sweet, sweet money. This was the same IP sell-off that saw the X-Men landing with Fox, Spider-Man being with Sony, and Universal Studios having the theme park rights to the Avengers, X-Men and Spider-Man in any park east of the Mississippi.

Yeah, but...I want a Hulk movie.

Kidding aside, they seem to be finding a way to work out all that other poo poo you mentioned and Ruffalo's Hulk is a big fan favorite. Hell, work it out, make the movie and THEN give us the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just buy Universal :downs:

Now there's two Disney Worlds!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno, I kind of think a Hulk movie doesn't really work in the current MCU. Unless you're going to go with Smart Hulk, the "General Ross hunts down the rampaging monster" doesn't really fit these days.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Ragnarok kinda already did World War Hulk/Planet Hulk, which is like, THE Hulk story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Ragnarok kinda already did World War Hulk/Planet Hulk, which is like, THE Hulk story.

Okay but hear me out here.

Sam Raimi's Immortal Hulk.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Midniter posted:

I can't remember if it was XML2 or MUA but Iceman had an aura skill that slowed the enemy and if you hit a mob with one of his ice balls that slow and have them in the aura at the same time, they basically slowed to a crawl rendering them completely helpless and vulnerable. Broke the game pretty much.

Even video games managed Bobby's powers better than he does

(He's also OP in the Capcom fighting games he's in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Iron Man in XML2 is the best broken character ever. He is absolutely invincible just because of a bug.

Dark Phoenix in XML2 for PSP was really good too since she was effectively immortal and could one-shot everyone, including bosses.