Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Everything from "I must have fainted" to "his ugly teeth" was pasted twice.

Thank you. Any idea what that cottonwood polka's in specific reference to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arbite posted:

Thank you. Any idea what that cottonwood polka's in specific reference to?
Taking a wild guess - the Cottonwood is apparently a North American tree. So probably analogous to the "hemp fandango" and whatnot - the reactions Aparche torture victims have when a (cottonwood?) fire is lit under their heads?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, I read it as him being hung up from a cottonwood tree, and tortured in whatever way to make him dance.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

At this point Sonsee-array, accompanied by the Yawner in case the prisoner proved violent, had flounced off for a final look at me, which I have described. She had then gone back to Papa and announced that she wanted to marry the boy. (Sensation.) Friends and relatives had now urged the unsuitability of the match; Sonsee-array had retorted that there were precedents for marrying pinda-lickoyee, including her own father, and it was untrue, as certain disappointed suitors (cries of “Oh!” and “Name them!”) had urged, that her intended was a scalp-hunting enemy; her good friend Alopay, daughter of Nopposo and wife to the celebrated Yawner, had been a captive with her and could testify that the adored object had taken no scalps. (Uproar, stilled by the arrival of the body in the case, with the Yawner at his elbow.)

If I’d known all this, and the interesting facts that Indians have no colour bar and that Apache girls are given a pretty free choice of husbands, I might have breathed easier, but I doubt it; no one was ever easy in the presence of Red Sleeves. He glared at me like a constipated basilisk, and the organ bass croaked in Spanish.

“What’s your name, Americano?”

“Flashman. I’m not Americano. Inglese.”

“Flaz’man? Inglese?” The black eyes flickered. “Then why are you not in the Snow Woman’s country? Why here?”

It took me a moment to figure that the Snow Woman must be our gracious Queen, so called doubtless in allusion to Canada. I’ve heard Indians call her some odd names: Great Woman, Great White Mother, Grandmother latterly, and even the Old Woman of General Grant, by certain Sioux who held that she and Grant were man and wife, but she’d shown him the door, which I rather liked.

Too bad Flash never got around to Canada, I imagine him getting roaring drunk with everyone else at Charlottetown, some too hung over to stand for the big photo at the end...

Well, at least we'll see a bit of Sam Grant in the fullness of time.

quote:

I said I was here as a trader, and there was an angry roar. Mangas Colorado leaned forward. “You trade in Mimbreno scalps to the Mexicanos!” he croaked.

“That’s not true!” I said, as bold as I dared. “I was a prisoner of the villains who attacked your people. I took no scalps.”

Although this, unknown to me, had been vouched for by Sonsee-array and her girl-friends, the mob still hooted disbelief; Mangas stilled them with a raised hand and rasped:

“Scalp-hunter or not, you were with the enemy. Why should you live?”

A damned nasty question coming from a face like that, but before I could think of several good answers, my little Pocahontas was on her feet, fists clenched and eyes blazing, like a puppy snapping at a mastiff.

“Because he is my chosen man! Because he fought for me, and saved me, and was kind to me!” She looked from her father to me, and there were absolute tears on her cheeks. “Because he is a man after my father’s heart, and I will have him or no one!”

Well, this was news to me, of course, although her conduct in the wickiup had suggested that she had some such arrangement in mind. And if it seemed short notice for so much enthusiasm on her part, well, I had protected her, in a way – and there seemed to be a movement for marrying Flashy among North American women that year, anyway. Hope surged up in me – to be checked as dear old Dad climbed to his enormous feet and lumbered forward for a closer look at me. It was like being approached by one of those Easter Island stone faces; he loomed over me, and his breath was like old boots burning. Fine bloodshot eyes he had, too.

“What do you say, pinda-lickoyee?” says he, and there was baleful suspicion in every line of that horrible face. “You have known her but a few hours; what can she be to you?”

If he’d been a civilised prospective father-in-law, I dare say I’d have hemmed and hawed, lyrical-like, and referred him to my banker; as it was, a wrong word – or too fulsome a protestation of devotion – and it would be under the greenwood tree who loves to swing with me. So I forced myself to look manly and simple, with a steady glance at Sonsee-array, and answered by adapting into Spanish a phrase that Dick Wootton had used to the Cheyenne.

“My heart is in the sky when I look at her,” says I, and she fairly shrieked with delight and beat her little fists on her knees, while the crowd rumbled and Mangas never blinked an eyelid.

Flashman, whether in a panic or cool under pressure is always fun to see.

quote:

“So you say.” It was like gravel under a door. “But what do we know of you, save that you are pinda-lickoyee? How do we know you are a fit man for her?”

There didn’t seem much point in telling him I’d been to Rugby under Arnold, or that I’d taken five wickets for 12 against the England XI, so I pitched on what I hoped would be a popular line by telling him I’d served with the Snow Woman’s soldiers in lands far away, and had counted coup against Utes and Kiowas (which was true, even if I hadn’t wanted to). He listened, and Sonsee-array preened at the silent crowd, and then one young buck, naked except for boots and breech-clout, but with silver ornaments slung round his neck, swaggered forward and began a harangue in Apache. I was to learn that this was Vasco, the jilted admirer on whose appearance and aroma Sonsee-array had commented; by tribal standards he was wealthy (six horses, a dozen slaves, that sort of thing), and quite the leading light. I suppose he was sick as mud that a despised white-eye looked like succeeding where he had failed, and while I understood no word, it was obvious he wasn’t appearing as prisoner’s friend; when he’d done bawling the odds he hurled his hatchet into the ground at my feet. There was no doubt what that meant, in any language; the crowd fell silent as death, and every eye was on me.

Now, you know what I think of mortal combat. I’ve run from more than I can count, and lived never to regret it, and this lean ten stone of quivering, fighting fury, obviously nimble as a weasel and built like a champion middleweight, was the last man I wanted to try conclusions with – well, I’d been ill. But with Mangas’s blood-flecked eyes on me, I could guess what refusal would mean – no, this was a case for judicious bluff with my heart pounding under a bold front. So I glanced at the axe, at the furious Vasco, at Mangas, and shrugged.

“Must I?” says I. “I’ve killed a better man than this for her already. And afterwards – how many others do I have to kill?”

There was a creaking snort from behind me: the Yawner was laughing – I wasn’t to know that her disappointed beaux had been legion. There were a few grins even among the crowd, but not from my lady; she was forward in a trice, demanding to know who was Vasco to put in his oar, and why should I, who had counted coup and killed for her, be at the trouble of chastising an upstart who had barely made his fourth war-party? She fairly shrieked and spat at him, and the mob buzzed – by no means unsympathetically, I noted; the Yawner grunted that any fool could fight, and a few heads nodded in agreement. The Apaches, you see, being matchless warriors, tend to take courage for granted, especially in big, burly fellows who look as much like a Tartar as I do (more fool they), and weren’t impressed by Vasco’s challenge; rather bad form in a jealous lover, they thought it. But Mangas’s snake eyes never left my face, and I realised in chill horror that I must go on bluffing, and quickly – and run the risk that my bluff would be called, if the plan that was forming in my mind went adrift. So before anyone else could speak I picked up the hatchet, looked at it, and says to Mangas, very offhand:

“Do I have choice of weapons?”

There will be blood... next time!

Arbite fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 18, 2022

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

This brought more hubbub, with Sonsee-array protesting, Vasco yelling savage agreement, and the mob roaring eagerly. Mangas nodded, so I asked for a lance and my pony.

It was a desperate, horrible gamble – but I knew that if it came to a fight in the end, it was my only hope. I was still shaky from my illness, and even at my best I couldn’t have lived with Vasco in a contest with knives or hatchets. But I was a trained lancer, and guessed that he wasn’t – they use ’em overhead, two-handed, and have no notion of proper management. But with luck and good acting, it need never come to that; by playing the cool, professional hand, I could win without a battle.

While they were getting the lances and ponies, and a frantic Sonsee-array was shrilly damning Daddy’s eyes for permitting this criminal folly, and he was growling that she’d brought it on herself, and the commonalty were settling down to enjoy the show, I turned to the Yawner and asked him quietly if he could find me three wooden pegs, about so by so. He stared at me, but went off, and presently they brought out my little Arab, apparently none the worse for having been in their hands, and a lance. It was shorter and lighter than cavalry issue, but with a sharp well-set head. Vasco was already aboard a pony, shaking a lance in the air and yelling to the crowd – no doubt assuring them what mincemeat he was going to make of the pinda-lickoyee. They yelled and cheered, and he whooped and cantered about, hurling abuse in my direction.

I didn’t heed him. I busied myself talking to the Arab, petting him and blowing in his nostrils for luck, and threw away the Indian saddle they had given him; without stirrups, I knew I’d be safer bareback. His bridle, which was the merest crude strap, would just have to serve. I took my time, and ignored the impatience of the crowd, while Mangas stood brooding and silent – and here came the Yawner, with three pegs in his hand.

I took them, and without a word or a look walked away and set them in the ground, about twenty paces apart, while the mob stared and shouted in astonishment, and Vasco trotted up, screaming at me. Still I paid no attention, but walked back to my pony, picked up the lance, turned to Mangas, and spoke my piece so that everyone should hear; while I was quaking inwardly, I flattered myself I’d kept a steady, careless front; I looked him in the eye, and hoped to God I was right, and that they’d never heard of tent-pegging.

“I don’t want to fight your brave, Mangas Colorado,” says I, “because he’s a young man and a fool, and I’ll prove nothing by killing him that I haven’t proved already, in defence of your daughter. But if you say I must kill him … then I will. First, though, I’m going to show you something – and when you’ve seen it, you can tell me whether I need to kill him or not.”

Ah, here we go.

quote:

Then I turned away, and damnably stiff and bruised as I was, vaulted on to the Arab’s back. I trotted him about for a moment or two, plucked the lance from the Yawner’s hand, and cantered away fifty yards or so before turning to come in on the pegs at a gallop. My heart was in my mouth, for while I’d been a dab hand in India, I knew I must be rusty as the deuce from lack of practice, to say nothing of my cracked head and groggy condition – and if I failed or made a fool of myself, I was a dead man.

But it was neck or nothing now – there were the pegs, tiny white studs on the red earth, with the squat colossal form of Mangas close by them, Sonsee-array just behind him, and the watching multitude beyond. The Arab’s hooves were drumming like pistons as I bore in, bringing down the point to cover the first peg as it rushed towards me … I leaned out and down and prayed – and my point missed it by a whisker, but here was the second almost under our hooves, and this time I made no mistake; the bright steel cut into the peg like cheese and I wheeled away in a great circle, the spitted peg flourished high for all to see. What a howl went up as I cantered towards Mangas Colorado, dipped my point in salute, and stuck the spiked butt of the lance in the earth before him. I was a trifle breathless, but nodded cool as I knew how.

“Now I’ll fight your brave, Mangas Colorado, if you say so,” I told him. “But before I do – let me see that he’s a worthy opponent. There are the little pegs – let him try.”

Not a muscle moved in that awful lined face, while there was uproar from the watchers; Vasco curvetted about, howling and shaking his lance – protesting, I dare say, that pig-sticking wasn’t his game. Sonsee-array screamed abuse at him, with obscene gestures, the Yawner gaped with laughter till his jaw cracked – and Mangas Colorado’s snake eyes went from me to the spitted peg and back again. Then, after what seemed an age, he glanced at Vasco, grunted, and jerked his thumb at the remaining pegs. The assembly bayed approval, Sonsee-array jumped with glee, and I settled back to enjoy the fun.

It was better than I could have hoped for. Tent-pegging ain’t as hard as it looks, but you have to know the knack, and it was quite beyond Vasco. He ran half a dozen courses and missed by a mile every time, to renewed catcalls which made him so wild that at the last try he speared the ground, snapped the shaft, and came out of the saddle like a hot rivet. His pals screeched for joy and even the women hooted, and he fairly capered with rage, which made them laugh all the more.

It is a beautiful sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fcp_4rQPlU&t=185s

quote:

That was what I’d been after from the start – to make him look so ridiculous that his challenge to a man who was obviously more expert than he would be scoffed out of court. It had worked; even Mangas’s mouth twitched in a hideous grin, while the Yawner gaped and slapped his thighs. Vasco stamped and screamed in rage – and then his eye lighted on me; he shook his fist, sprang to his pony’s back, and made straight for me, yelling bloody murder, drawing his hatchet as he came.

It was so sudden that he nearly had me. One moment I was sitting my pony at rest, the next Vasco was charging in, hurling the tomahawk ahead of him. His aim was wild, but the whirling haft of the weapon hit my Arab on the muzzle, and as I tried to turn him to avoid being ridden down he reared with the pain, and I came to earth with sickening force. For two or three seconds I lay jarred out of my wits, as Vasco swept past, reined his mustang back on its haunches, and snatched the lance that I had left upright in the ground. Sprawled and helpless as his beast reared almost on top of me, its hooves flailing, I tried to roll away; he raised the lance to let drive, screaming his hate; I heard Sonsee-array’s shriek and Mangas’s bass bellow of rage – and something cracked like a whip, there was a hiss in the air overhead, a sickening thud, and Vasco’s head snapped back as though he had been shot, the lance dropping from his hands. As he toppled from the saddle I had a glimpse of that contorted face, with a bloody hole where one eye should have been – and here was the Yawner, coiling up the thongs of the sling that had driven a pellet into Vasco’s brain.

There was an instant’s hush, and then uproar, with everyone surging forward for a look, and Vasco’s pals to the fore, clamouring at Mangas for vengeance on the Yawner, who spat and sneered, with one hand on his knife. “The pinda-lickoyee was in my charge!” he snarled. “He was ready to fight – but this coward would have killed him unarmed!” Which I thought damned sound, and Mangas evidently agreed, for he quietened them with a tremendous bellow, stooped over the corpse, and then told them to take it away.

“The Yawner was right,” growls he. “This one died like a fool and no warrior.” His glance seemed to challenge that ring of savage faces, but none dared dissent, and while Vasco’s remains were removed, the great ghoul turned his attention back to me for a long moment, and then snapped to Sonsee-array, who came quickly forward to his side. He rumbled at her in Apache, indicating me, and she bowed her head submissively; for an awful moment my heart stopped, and then he beckoned me forward, favoured me with another gargoyle stare – and reached out to lay his hand on my shoulder.

It was like being tapped with a pitchfork, but I didn’t mind that; I could have cried with sheer relief. Sonsee-array was beside me, her hand slipping into mine, the sullen faces round us were indifferent rather than hostile, the Yawner shrugged – and Mangas Colorado gave us a final curt nod and stalked away. Just the same, I couldn’t help thinking that old Morrison hadn’t been such a bad father-in-law.

It's all relative. Let's see where the happy couple lie... next time!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arbite posted:

There was an instant’s hush, and then uproar, with everyone surging forward for a look, and Vasco’s pals to the fore, clamouring at Mangas for vengeance on the Yawner, who spat and sneered, with one hand on his knife. “The pinda-lickoyee was in my charge!” he snarled. “He was ready to fight – but this coward would have killed him unarmed!” Which I thought damned sound, and Mangas evidently agreed, for he quietened them with a tremendous bellow, stooped over the corpse, and then told them to take it away.

“The Yawner was right,” growls he. “This one died like a fool and no warrior.”
Evidently none of that was in Apache. Huh.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Possibly because I’ve spent so much time as the unwilling guest of various barbarians around the world, I’ve learned to mistrust romances in which the white hero wins the awestruck regard of the silly savages by sporting a monocle or predicting a convenient eclipse, whereafter they worship him as a god, or make him a blood brother, and in no time he’s teaching ’em close order drill and crop rotation and generally running the whole show. In my experience, they know all about eclipses, and a monocle isn’t likely to impress an aborigine who wears a bone through his nose. So don’t imagine that my tent-pegging had impressed the Apaches overmuch; it hadn’t. I was alive because Sonsee-array fancied me and was grateful – and also because she was just the kind of minx to enjoy flouting tribal convention by marrying a foreigner. I’d come creditably out of the Vasco business – nobody mourned him, apparently – and Mangas had given me the nod, so that was that. But no one made me a blood brother, thank God, or I’d probably have caught hydrophobia, and as for worship – nobody gets that from those fellows.

They were prepared to accept me, but not with open arms, and I was in no doubt that my life still hung by a hair, on Sonsee-array’s whim and Mangas’s indulgence. So I must try to shut my mind to the hideous pickle I was in, recover from the shock to my nervous system, and play up to them for all I was worth while I found out where the devil I was, where safety lay, and plotted my escape. If I’d known that it would take me six months, I believe I’d have died of despair. In the meantime, it was some slight reassurance to find that however unreal and terrifying my plight might seem to me, the tribe were ready to take it for granted, and even be quite hospitable about it, white-eye though I was.

For example, the Yawner made me free of the family pot and a blanket in the wickiup which he shared with his wife Alopay, their infant, and her relatives; it stank like the nation and was foul, but Alopay was a buxom, handsome wench who was prepared to treat me kindly for Sonsee-array’s sake, and the Yawner himself was more friendly now that he’d saved my life – have you noticed, the man who does a good turn is often more inclined to be amiable than the chap who’s received it? He’d evidently been appointed my bear-leader because although he wasn’t a true Mimbreno, he was related to Mangas, and trusted by the chief; he was as much jailer as mentor, which was one reason it took me such a deuce of a time to get out of Apacheria.

It's good to be self-aware and also keep things interesting. I think my only exposure to King Solomon's Mines was a radio drama growing up but it's very memorable in any form.

quote:

Having taken me on, though, he was prepared to make a go of it, and that same evening he inducted me into a peculiar Apache institution which, while revolting, is about the most clubbable function I’ve ever struck. After we had supped, he took me along to a singular adobe building near the fort, like a great beehive with a tiny door in one side; there were about forty male Apaches there, all stark naked, laughing and chattering, with Mangas among them. No one gave me a second glance, so I followed the Yawner’s example and stripped, and then we crawled inside, one after the other, into the most foetid, suffocating heat I’d ever experienced.

It was black as Egypt’s night, and I had to creep over nude bodies that grunted and heaved and snarled what I imagine was “Mind where you’re putting your feet, drat you!”; I was choking with the stench and dripping with sweat as I flopped on that pile of humanity, and more crowded in on top until I was jammed in the middle of a great heap of gasping, writhing Apaches; I felt I must faint with the pressure and atrocious heat and stink. I could barely breathe, and then it seemed that warm oil was being poured over us from above – but it was simply reeking sweat, trickling down from the mass of bodies overhead.

They loved it; I could hear them chuckling and sighing in that dreadful sodden oven that was boiling us alive; I hadn’t even breath enough to protest; it was as much as I could do to keep my face clear of the rank body beneath me and drag in great laboured gasps of what I suppose was air. For half an hour we lay in that choking blackness, drenched and boiled to the point of collapse, and then they began to crawl out again, and I dragged my stupefied body into the open more dead than alive.

That was my introduction to the Apache sweatbath, one of the most nauseating experiences of my life – and an hour later, I don’t know when I’ve felt so splendidly refreshed. But what astonished me most, when it sank in, was how they had included me in the party as a matter of course; I felt almost as though I’d been elected to the Apache Club – which in other respects proved to be about as civilised as White’s, with fewer bores than the Reform, and a kitchen slightly better than the Athenaeum’s.

Ooh, very lurid. Also White's still doesn't allow women to visit let alone join, while the Reform and Athenaeum only permitted women members in 1981 and 2002, respectively.

quote:

I had a further taste of Apache culture on the following day, when with the rest of the community I attended the great wailing funeral procession for the deceased Vasco, and for the victims of Gallantin’s massacre, whose bodies had been brought down from the valley in the hills. That was a spooky business, for there were two or three of my own bagging on those litters, each corpse with its face painted and scalp replaced (I wondered who’d matched ’em all up) and its weapons carried before. They buried them under rock piles near the big hill they call Ben Moor (and that gave me a jolt, if you like, for you know what big hill is in Gaelic – Ben Mhor. God knows if there’s a tribe of Scotch Apaches; I shouldn’t be surprised – those tartan buggers get everywhere). They lit purification fires after the burial, and marked the place with a cross, if you please, which I suppose they learned from the dagoes.

Speaking of scalps, I discovered that the Mimbrenos had no special zeal for tonsuring their enemies, but they brought back a few from those of Gallantin’s band they’d killed, and the women dressed and stretched them on little frames, to brighten up the parlour, I dare say. One scalp was pale and sandy, and I guessed it was Nugent-Hare’s.

Meanwhile, no time was lost in bringing me up to scratch. After the funeral, the Yawner told me I must take my pony to Sonsee-array’s wickiup and leave it there – so I did, watched by the whole village, and madam ignored it. “What now?” says I, and he explained that when she fed and watered the beast and returned it, I had been formally accepted. She wouldn’t do it at once, for that would show unmaidenly eagerness, but possibly on the second or third day; if she delayed to the fourth day, she was a proper little tease.

D’you know, the saucy bitch waited until the fourth evening? – and a fine lather I was in by then, for fear she’d changed her mind, in which case God knows what might have happened to me. But just before dusk there was a great laughter and commotion, and through the wickiups she came, astride my Arab, looking as proud and pleased as Punch, with a crowd of squaws and children in tow, and even a few menfolk. She was in full fig of beaded tunic and lace scarf, but now she was also wearing the long white leggings with tiny silver bells down the seams, which showed she was marriageable; she dropped the Arab’s bridle into my hand with a most condescending smile, everyone cheered and stamped, and for the first time I found Apache faces grinning at me, which is a frightening sight.

There was even more grinning later, for Mangas held an enormous jollification on corn-beer and pine-bark spirit and a fearsome cactus tipple called mescal; they don’t mind mixing their drinks, those fellows, and got beastly foxed, although I went as easy as I could. Mangas punished the tizwin something fearful, and presently, when the others had toppled sideways or were hiccoughing against each other telling obscene Apache stories, he jerked his head at me, collared a flask, and led the way, stumbling and cursing freely, to the old ruined fort. He took a long pull at the flask, swayed a bit, and belched horribly; aha, thinks I, now for the fatherly talk and a broad hint about letting the bride get some sleep on honeymoon. But it wasn’t that; what followed was one of the strangest conversations I’ve ever had in my life, and I set it down because it was my introduction to that queer mixture of logic and lunacy that is typical of Indian thought. The fact that we were both tight as tadpoles made it all the more revealing, really, and if he had some wild notions, he was still a damned shrewd file, the Red Sleeves. What with the booze and his guttural Spanish, he wasn’t always easy to follow, but I record him fairly; I can still see that shambling bulk, his blanket hitched close against the night cold, like an unsteady Sphinx in the moonlight, clutching his bottle, and croaking basso profundo:

Mangas: The Mexicanos built this fort when they still had chiefs over the great water. The Americanos build many such … is it true that even Santa Fe is a mere wickiup beside the towns of the pinda-lickoyee where the sun rises?

Flashy: Indeed, yes. In my country are towns so great that a man can hardly walk through them between sunrise and sunset. You ought to see St Paul’s.

Mangas: You’re lying, of course. You boast as young men do, and you’re drunk. But the pinda-lickoyee people are many in number – as many as the trees in the Gila forest, I’m told.

Flashy: Oh, indubitably. Perfect swarms of them.

Mangas: Perhaps ten thousand?

Flashy (unaware that ten thousand is as far as an Apache can count, but not disposed to argue): Ah … yes, just about.

Mangas: Huh! And now, since the Americanos beat the Mexicanos in war, many of these white-eyes have come through our country, going to a place where they seek the pesh klitso,b the oro-hay. Their pony soldiers say that all this country is now Americano, because they took it from the Mexicanos. But the Mexicanos never had it, so how can it be taken from them?

Flashy: Eh? Ah, well … politics ain’t my line, you know. But the Mexicanos claimed this land, so I suppose the Americanos—

Mangas (fortissimo): It was never Mexicano land! We let them dig here, at Santa Rita, for the kla-klitso,c until they turned on us treacherously, and we destroyed them – ah, that was a rare slaughter! And we let them live on the Del Norte, where we raid and burn them as we please! Soft, fat, stupid Mexicano pigs! What rule had they over us or the land? None! And now the Americanos treat the land as though it were theirs – because they fought a little war in Mexico! Huh! They say – a chief of their pony soldiers told me this – that we must obey them, and heed their law!

Flashy: Did he, though? Impudent bastard!

Mangas: He came to me after we Mimbreno rode a raid into Sonora with Hashkeela of the Coyoteros, who is husband to my second daughter – she is not so fair as Sonsee-array, by the way. You like Sonsee-array, don’t you, pinda-lickoyee Flaz’man? You truly love my little gazelle?

Flashy: Mad about her … I can’t wait.

Mangas (with a great sigh and belch): It is good. She is a delightful child – wilful, but of a spirit! That is from me; her beauty is her mother’s – she was a Mexican lady, you understand, taken on a raid into Coahuila, ah! so many years ago! I saw her among the captives, lovely as a frightened deer, and I thought: that is my woman, now and forever. I forgot the loot, the cattle, even the killing – only one thought possessed me, in that moment—

Flashy: I know what you mean.

Mangas: I took her! I shall never forget it. Uuurrgh! Then we rode home. Already I had two wives of our people; their families were enraged that I brought a new foreign wife – I had to fight my brothers-in-law, naked, knife to knife! I defied the law – for her! I ripped out their bowels – for her! I tore out their hearts with my fingers – for her! I was red to the shoulders with their blood! Do they not call me the Red Sleeves – Mangas Colorado? Uuurrghh!

Flashy (faintly): Absolutely! Bravo, Mangas – may I call you Mangas?

Mangas: When my little dove, my dear Sonsee-array, told me how you had fought for her – how you sank your knife in the belly of the pinda-lickoyee scalp-hunter, and tore and twisted his vitals, and drank his blood – I thought, there is one with the spirit of Mangas Colorado! (Gripping my shoulder, tears in his eyes.) Did you not exult as the steel went home – for her?

Flashy: By George, yes! That’ll teach you, I thought—

Mangas: But you did not take his heart or scalp?

Flashy: Well, no … I was thinking about looking after her, you see, and—

Mangas: And afterwards … you did not uuurrghh! with her?

Flashy (quite shocked): Heavens, no! Oh, I mean, I was in a perfect sweat for her, of course – but she was tired, don’t you know … and … and distressed, naturally …

Mangas (doubtfully): Her mother was tired and distressed – but I had only one thought … (shakes head) But you pinda-lickoyee have different natures, I know … you are colder—

Flashy: Northern climate.

Mangas (taking another swig): What was I saying when you began to talk of women? Ah, yes … my raid with Hashkeela six moons ago, when we slaughtered in Sonora, and took much loot and many slaves. And afterwards this Americano fool – this pony soldier – came and told me it was wrong! He told me, Mangas Colorado, that it was wrong!

Flashy: He never!

Mangas: “Why fool,” I told him, “these Mexicanos are your enemies – have you not fought them?” “Yes,” says he, “but now they have yielded under our protection, at peace. So we cannot suffer them to be raided.” “Look, fool,” I told him, “when you fought them, did you ask our permission?” “No,” says he. “Then why should we ask yours?” I said.

Flashy: Dam’ good!

Mangas: It was then he said it was his law, and we must heed it. I said: “We Mimbreno do not ask you to obey our law; why, then, do you ask us to obey yours?” He could not answer except to say that it was his great chief’s word, and we must – which is no reason. Now, was he a fool, or did he speak with a double tongue? You are pinda-lickoyee, you know their minds. Tell me.

Flashy: May I borrow your flask? Thanks. Well, you see, he was just saying what his great chief told him to say – obeying orders. That’s how they work, you know.

Mangas: Then he and his chief are fools. If I gave such an order to an Apache, without good reason, he would laugh at me.

Flashy: I’ll bet he wouldn’t.

Mangas: Huh?

Flashy: Sorry. Wind.

Mangas: Why should the Americanos try to force their law on us? They cannot want our country; it has little oro-hay, and the rocks and desert are no good for their farmers. Why can they not leave us alone? We never harmed them until they harmed us – why should we, with the Mexicanos to live off? At first I thought it was because they feared us, the warrior Apache, and would have us quiet. But other tribes – Arapaho, Cheyenne, Shoshoni – have been quiet, and still the pinda-lickoyee force law on them. Why?

Flashy: I don’t know, Mangas Colorado.

Mangas: You know. So do I. It is because their spirit tells them to spread their law to all people, and they believe their spirit is better than ours. Whoever believes that is wrong and foolish. It is such a spirit as was in the world in the beginning, when it was rich and wicked, and God destroyed it with a great flood. But when He saw that the trees and birds and hills and great plains had perished with the people, His heart was on the ground, and He made it anew. And He made the Apache His people, and gave us His way, which is our way.

Flashy: Mmh, yes. I see. But (greatly daring) He made the pinda-lickoyee, too, didn’t he?

Mangas: Yes, but He made them fools, to be destroyed. He gave them their evil spirit, so that they should blunder among us – perhaps He designed them for our prey. I do not know. But we shall destroy them, if they come against us, the whole race of pinda-lickoyee, even all ten thousand. They do not know how to fight – they ride or walk in little lines, and we draw them into the rocks and they die at our leisure. They are no match for us. (Suddenly) Why were you among the Americanos?

Flashy (taken aback): I … told you … I was a trader … I …

Mangas (grinning sly and wicked): An Inglese trader – among the Americanos? Strange … for you hate each other, because you once ruled their land, and they were your slaves, and rose against you, and you have fought wars against them. This I know – for are there not still chiefs among the Dacotah of the north who carry pesh-klitso pictures of the Snow Woman’s ancestors, given to their fathers long ago, when your people ruled? Huh! I think you were among the Americanos because you had angered the Snow Woman, and she drove you out, because she saw the spirit of the snake in your eyes, and knew that you do not speak with a straight tongue. (Fixes terrified Flashy with a glare, then shrugs) It does not matter; sometimes I have a forked tongue myself. Only remember – when you speak to Sonsee-array, let it be with a straight tongue.

Flashy (petrified): Rather!

Mangas: Ugh. Good. You will be wise to do so, for I have favoured you, and you will be one of the people, and your heart will be opened. When we fight the Americanos, you will be glad, for you are their enemy as we are. Perhaps one day I shall send to the Snow Woman, even as the pinda-lickoyee of Texas sent messengers to her, with offers of friendship. Fear not – the anger she bears you will go out of her heart when she knows you come from Mangas Colorado, huh?

Flashy: Oh, like a shot. She’ll be delighted.

Mangas: She must be a strange woman, to rule over men. Is she as beautiful as Sonsee-array?

Flashy (tactfully): Oh, dear me, no! About the same build, but nothing like as pretty. No woman is.

Well, with that glorious badinage we'll call it. I'll see you all... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

We were sitting among the ruins by now and at this point he toppled slowly backwards and lay with his huge legs in the air, singing plaintively. God, he was drunk! But I must have been drunker, for presently he carried me home in one hand (I weighed about fourteen stone then) and dropped me into my wickiup – through the roof, not the door, unfortunately. But if my final memories of that celebration were confused, I’m clear about what he said earlier, and if it sounds like drunkard’s babble, just remark some of the things that supposedly simple savage knew – along with all his fanciful notions.

He’d heard of Spanish and British colonial rule, and of the American wars of ’76 and 1812; he’d even somehow got wind of Britain’s negotiations with the old Texas Republic before it joined the States in ’46. At the same time he’d no idea of what Spain or Britain or the United States or even Texas really were – dammit, he thought the whole white race was only ten thousand strong, and obviously imagined Queen Victoria living in a wickiup somewhere over the hills. He probably thought the American troops he’d seen were some sort of tribal war party whom the ’Pash could wipe up whenever they chose. And yet, he could already read with uncanny wisdom the minds of a white race he hardly knew. “Their spirit tells them to spread their law … they believe their spirit is better than ours.” Poor old Red Sleeves; wasn’t he right, just?

No, he wasn’t an ordinary man. I knew him over several months, and can say he had the highest type of that lucid Indian mind which can put the civilised logician to shame, yet whose very simplicity of wisdom has been the redskin’s downfall. He was a fine psychologist – you’ll note he had weighed me for a rascal and fugitive on short acquaintance – an astute politician, and a bloody, cruel, treacherous barbarian who’d have been a disgrace to the Stone Age. If that seems contradictory – well, Indians are contrary critters, and Apaches more than most. Mangas Colorado taught me that, and gave me my first insight into the Indian mind, which is such a singular mechanism, and so at odds with ours, that I must try to tell you about it here.

And if that ain't a perfect example of racism just right on the page.

Author's Note posted:

Mangas (or Mangus) Colorado (1803?-1863), leader of the Santa Rita Copper Mines band of the Mimbreno Apaches, was one of the great Indian chiefs, certainly the most gifted of his nation, although less famous than his successors. Originally named Dasodaha (He-Only-Sits-There), he is supposed to have won the title of Red Sleeves by stealing a red shirt from a party of Americans; only Flashman suggests that it was in reference to his duel with his brothers-in-law – an encounter mentioned by Cremony. Although he was unusually large and powerful, there is some uncertainty as to how tall he was; some sources suggest as much as six feet six or seven, but Cremony, who knew him well a year or two after Flashman, settles for six feet, and John C. Reid, another eye-witness, simply says “Very large, powerful mould, villainous face” (Reid’s Tramp, by John C. Reid, 1858). What is not in dispute is Mangas’s intelligence and political ability; Cremony, although he despised his character and noted that he was not remarkable for personal bravery, thought him brilliant, statesmanlike, and influential beyond any other Indian of his time. As leader of the Mimbreno, Mangas showed great skill in unifying the Apache people, partly through marriage alliances; three of his daughters by the beautiful Mexican lady became wives of the Coyotero, Chiricahua, and White Mountains clans; one of his sons-in-law was the celebrated Cochise. Of the fourth daughter, Sonsee-array (the Morning Star), there is no historical trace; since she did not marry an Apache chief, like her sisters, she presumably had no political importance.

While Mangas’s character may well have been as deplorable as Cremony suggests, in justice to the chief he appears to have been initially well-disposed to the Americans, at least until the Johnson massacre of 1837. For this he took a swift and terrible revenge, killing various bands of American trappers, ambushing convoys to Santa Rita, and finally wiping out almost all the Copper Mines settlers when they tried to escape to Mexico. Thereafter he established himself at Santa Rita, offered help to General Kearny in the Mexican War (see W. H. Emory, Notes of a Military Reconnaissance, 1848), and had friendly relations with Commissioner Bartlett of the U.S. Boundary Commission, although they had occasional disputes over the status of Mexican captives in Apache hands. At this time (less than two years after Flashman met him) Mangas suffered an indignity which turned him bitterly against the white intruders – he was set upon and brutally flogged by a party of American miners, whether on suspicion of treachery or out of malice is not clear. Thereafter he waged occasional war against Americans and Mexicans alike, until 1863, when he was taken prisoner by treachery, provoked into resistance, and like many another Indian leader, “shot while trying to escape”. (See also Bartlett, J. R., Personal Narrative of Explorations, 1854.)

quote:

Speaking of Apaches in particular, you must understand that to them deceit is a virtue, lying a fine art, theft and murder a way of life, and torture a delightful recreation. Aha, says you, here’s old Flashy airing his prejudices, repeating ancient lies. By no means – I’m telling you what I learned at first hand – and remember, I’m a villain myself, who knows the real article when he sees it, and the ’Pash are the only folk I’ve struck who truly believe that villainy is admirable; they haven’t been brought up, you see, in a Christian religion that makes much of conscience and guilt. They reverence what we think of as evil; the bigger a rascal a man is, the more they respect him, which is why the likes of Mangas – whose duplicity and cunning were far more valued in the tribe than his fighting skill – and the Yawner, became great among them. This twisted morality is almost impossible for white folk to understand; they look for excuses, and say the poor savage don’t know right from wrong. Jack Cremony had the best answer to that: if you think an Apache can’t tell right from wrong – wrong him, and see what happens.

At the same time these Apaches, of whom there may be a few thousand at most, who live in some of the poorest land in the world, in the most primitive state, who are savage by nature, foul in habit, degraded of appearance (although some of their women are deuced handsome), who are backward and inferior in every outward respect, are nevertheless the most arrogant and self-satisfied people on God’s earth. Their conceit makes the Chinese look modest; they don’t merely pretend or think they’re superior – they know it, like Lord Cardigan. The hatred which they feel towards all other folk springs from no sense of jealousy or fear or unworthiness; on the contrary, they truly despise white civilisation and want none of it, because they know absolutely that their own prehistoric ways are better. They hold the world in contempt, as prey to be lived off. (In some respects, you see, they’re not unlike Britons or Americans.)

Now, this ingrained redskin conceit (for other tribes had it, too, if not as extremely as the ’Pash) is something the American government has never understood, and probably never will, and it’s been at the root of the whole Indian question. I don’t blame Washington – what civilised white, with his electric and gas light and huge cities and flying machines and centuries of art and literature and progress, could believe that this smelly, wicked, illiterate savage who looks like a cross between a Mongol and an ape absolutely thinks he is superior to them? It flies in the face of civilised reason – but not of Indian reason. They know they’re better – and no demonstration or comparison will change their minds, you see, because their whole system of thought and philosophy is upside down from ours. You could take my old pal the Yawner and show him Paris or London, and it still wouldn’t convince him. He’d say: “Huh, you can build great things and we cannot – but are they worth building? You can fly – but who needs to fly? I’d rather have my wickiup.” And it wouldn’t be sour grapes – the proud, stubborn, dear old bastard would rather have that wretched, stinking, flea-ridden hovel – lord, I itch just to think of it (but I’ve been less hospitably used, mind you, and felt less honoured, in some ducal mansions).

Hmm, now I wonder if Ms. Leo Lade's Duke did eventually catch up with Flashy.

quote:

You see, it’s been the great illusion of our civilisation that when the poor heathen saw our steamships and elections and drains and bottled beer, he’d realize what a benighted rear end he’d been and come into the fold. But he don’t. Oh, he’ll take what he fancies, and can use (cheap booze and rifles, for example), but not on that account will he think we’re better. He knows different.

You begin to understand, perhaps, the impossibility of red man and white man ever understanding each other – not that it would have made a damned bit of difference if they had, or altered the Yankees’ Indian policy, except possibly in the direction of wiping up such intractable bastards even faster than they did. They knew they were going to have to dispossess the redskins, but being good Christian humbugs they kept trying to bully and cajole them into accepting the theft gracefully – which ain’t quite the best position from which to make treaties with unreliable savages who are accustomed to rob rather than be robbed, and who don’t understand what government and responsibility and authority mean, anyway. You can’t treat sensibly with a chief whose braves don’t feel obliged to obey him; contrariwise, if you’re an Indian (worse luck) there’s no point in treating with a government which is eventually going to pinch your hunting-grounds to accommodate the white migration it can’t control. And it doesn’t help when the two sides regard each other respectively as greedy, brutal white thieves and beastly, treacherous red vermin. I’m not saying either was wrong.

The Indian’s tragedy was that being a spoiled and arrogant savage who wouldn’t lie down, and a brave and expert fighter who happened to be quite useless at war, he could only be suppressed with a brutality that often matched his own. It was the reservation or the grave; there was no other way.

My little anthropologist would say it was all the white man’s fault for intruding; no doubt, but by that logic Ur of the Chaldees would be a damned crowded place by now.

This is in reference to the Ur where Abraham was born, not to be confused with the Uruk of Gilgamesh 60 kilometers to the northwest.

Let's see where Flashman's ever vile mindset leads him... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

The morning after Mangas’s tizwin party I was rousted out at dawn by a foul-tempered Yawner, who took me miles off into the hills, both with our heads splitting, to prepare for my honeymoon. We must find a pretty, secluded spot, he snarled, and build a bower for my bride’s reception; we lit on a little pine grove by a brook, and there we built a wickiup – or rather, he did, while I got in the way and made helpful suggestions, and he damned the day he’d ever seen me – and stored it with food and blankets and cooking gear. When it was done he glared at it, and then muttered that it would be none the worse for a bit of garden; he’d made one for Alopay, apparently, and she’d thought highly of it.

So now I sweated, carefully transplanting flowers from the surrounding woods, while the Yawner squinted and frowned and stood back considering; when I’d bedded them around the wickiup to his satisfaction, he came to give them a final pat and smooth, growling at me to go easy with the water. We got it looking mighty pretty between us, and when I said Sonsee-array would be sure to like it, he shrugged and grunted, and we found ourselves grinning at each other across the flower-bed – odd, that’s how I remember him, not as the old man I saw last year, but as the ugly, bow-legged young brave, all Apache from boots to headband, so serious as he arranged the blooms just so, cleaning the earth from his knife and looking sour and pleased among his flowers. A strange memory, in the light of history – but then he’s still the Yawner to me, for all that the world has learned to call him Geronimo.

A beautiful moment of turnabout and revelation. Yawner (Goyaałé), later known around the world as Geronimo would try to survive fight against the enroaching Americans and Mexicans for decades, sometimes simultaneously.

Author's Note posted:

It is not remarkable that Flashman should have known Geronimo (1830?–1909), since at this time the great Apache, the grandson of a chief from another tribe, had settled among the Mimbreno following his marriage to Alopay. Known originally as Goyathlay (The-One-Who-Yawns), Geronimo was among the bitterest opponents of Mexico and the United States; his family had been killed by Mexicans, and he waged intermittent warfare in the south-west until Apache resistance was finally overcome by campaigns in the 1880s, conducted by Generals Crook and Nelson Miles. Geronimo was sent to Florida, but was allowed to spend his last days at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, where he became something of a tourist attraction. Since he was one of the most photographed of all Indians (once being snapped at the wheel of a car), there is ample confirmation of Flashman’s description. (See Geronimo’s Autobiography, edited by S. M. Barret, 1906; Bourke’s Apache Campaign and On the Border with Crook, 1891; Dunn.)

quote:

The wedding took place two days later, on the open space before the old fort at Santa Rita, and if my memories of the ceremony itself are fairly vague, it’s perhaps because the preliminaries were so singular. A great fire was lit before the old fort, and while the tribe watched from a distance, all the virgins trooped out giggling in their best dresses and sat round it in a great circle. Then the drummers started as darkness fell, and presently out shuffled the dancers, young bucks and boys, dressed in the most fantastic costumes, capering about the flames – the only time, by the way, that I’ve ever seen Indians dancing round a fire in the approved style. First came the spirit seekers, in coloured kilts with Aztec patterns and the long Apache leggings; they were all masked, and on their heads they bore peculiar frames decorated with coloured points and feathers and half-moons which swayed as they danced and chanted. They were fully-armed, and shook their stone-clubs and lances to drive away devils while they asked God (Montezuma, I believe) for a blessing on Sonsee-array and, presumably, me.

It was a slow, rhythmic, rather graceful dance, except for the little boys, whose task seemed to be to mock and tease the older men, which they did with great glee, to the delight of all. Then the drumming changed, to a more hollow, urgent note, and all the girls jumped up in mock terror, staring about, and cowering as out of the darkness raced the buffalo-dancers, in coloured, fearsome masks surrounded by animal heads – scalps of bison and wolf and deer and mountain-lion. As they leaped and whooped about the fire, all the virgins screamed and ran for their lives, but after a while, as the drumming grew faster and faster, they began to drift timidly back, until they too were joining in the dance, circling and shuffling among the buffalo-men in the fire-glow. All very proper, mind you, no lascivious nonsense or anything like that.

Then the drums stopped abruptly, the dance ceased, and the first spirit-dancer took his stance before the fire and began to chant. The Yawner tapped me on the shoulder – I was in my buckskins, by the way, with a garland round my neck – and he and another young brave called Quick Killer conducted me forward to stand before the spirit-chief. We waited while he droned away, and presently out of the darkness comes Mangas, leading Sonsee-array in a beautiful long white robe, all quilled and beaded, with her hair in two braids to her waist. She stood silent by me, and Mangas by the spirit-chief, whose headdress barely topped the Mimbreno giant. Silence fell … and here’s a strange thing. You know how my imagination works, and how at the hitching-rail with Susie I reviewed my past alliances – Elspeth and Irma and Madam Baboon of Madagascar … well, this time I had no such visions. It may be that having Mangas Colorado looming over you, looking like something off the gutters at Notre Dame, concentrates the mind wonderfully; but also, it didn’t seem to be a very religious ceremony, somehow, and I didn’t seem to have much part of it. What was said was in Apache, with no responses or anything for poor old Flash, although Sonsee-array answered three or four times when the spirit-chief addressed her, as did the Yawner, grunting at my elbow. I suppose he was my proxy, since I didn’t speak the lingo, and while it’s a nice thought in old age that Geronimo was your best man – well, there was something dashed perfunctory about the whole thing. I don’t even know at what point we became man and wife; no clasp of hands, or exchange of tokens, or embracing the bride, just a final wail from the spirit-chief and a great yell from the assembly, and then off to the wedding-feast.

There, I admit, they do it in style. That feast lasted three days, all round the fire, stuffing down the sweet roasted agave leaves from the mescal-pits, and baked meats, corn bread, chile, pumpkins and all the rest, with vast quantities of a special wedding brew to wash it down. And d’you know, they don’t let you near your bride in all that time – we sat on opposite sides of the fire, in a great circle of relatives and friends with the lesser mortals pressed behind (I suppose we must have left off feasting from time to time to sleep or relieve ourselves, but I swear I don’t remember it) and she never looked in my direction once! Myself, I think they’re damned cunning, the Apaches; you may know that in Turkey at wedding feasts they have a plump and voluptuous female who writhes about half-naked in front of the groom to put him in trim for the wedding-night; it’s my belief that the Mimbreno are far subtler than that. Maybe there’s something in the drink, maybe it’s the repetition of the dancing that goes on during the feast, with those bucks in their animal heads chasing (but never catching) the young females, who flee continually (but never quite out of reach); perhaps it’s just the three days’ delay in getting down to business – whatever it may be, I found myself eyeing that white figure through the flames, and starting to sweat something frightsome.

After this project finishes we'll have to do a full count of the amount of ritual bondings Flash goes through over the course of the series (don't start yet).

quote:

I know she was no great beauty – not to compare with Elspeth or Lola or Cleonie or the Silk One or Susie or Narreeman or Fetnab or Lakshmibai or Lily Langtry or Valla or Cassy or Irma or the Empress Tzu’si or that big German wench off the Haymarket whose name escapes me (by Jove, I can’t complain, at the end of the day, can I?) – but by the time the third evening was reached if you had asked me my carnal ideal of womanhood I’d have described it as just over five feet tall, sturdy and nimble, wearing a beaded tunic and white doeskin leggings, with a round chubby face, sulky lips, and great slanting black eyes that looked everywhere but at me. God, but she was pleased with herself, that smug, dumpy, nose-in-the-air wench, and I must have been about to burst when the Yawner tapped me on the shoulder and jerked his head, and when I got up and panted my way out of the firelight, no one paid the least notice.

Possibly I was drunk with liquor as well as lust, for I don’t remember much except riding into the night with the Yawner alongside and the shadowy form of Quick Killer ahead; the nightwind did nothing to cool my ardour either, for it seemed to grow with each passing mile through the wooded hills, and by the time we dismounted, and they and the ponies had faded tactfully into the darkness, I could have tackled the entire fair sex – provided they were all short and muscular and apple-cheeked. Through the trees I could see the twinkle of a fire, and I blundered towards it, disrobing unsteadily and staggering as I got my pants off, and there was the little wickiup, and no doubt the flowers were flapping about somewhere, but I didn’t pause to look.

She was reclining on a blanket at the door of the wickiup, on one elbow, that sturdy little brown body a-gleam in the fireglow as though it had been oiled, and not a stitch on except for the patterned head-band above the cinammon eyes that gleamed like hot coals, and the tight white leggings that came up to her hips. She didn’t smile, either; just gave me that sullen stare and stretched one leg while she stroked a hand down the seam of tiny bells, making them tinkle softly. My stars, I thought, it’s been worth it, coming to America – and that’s when I remember the pine-needles under my knees, and the smell of wood-smoke and musk, and deliberately taking my time as I stroked and squeezed every inch of that hard, supple young body, for I was damned if I was going to give her the satisfaction of having me roar all over her like a wild bull. I’d been teased and sweated by her and her blasted tribal rituals too long for that, so I held off and played with her until the sulky pout left her lips, and those glorious eyes opened wide as she forgot she was an Apache princess and became my trembling captive of the scalp-hunters’ camp again, and she began to gasp and squirm and reach out for me, with little moans of querido and hoarse Apache endearments which I’m sure from her actions were highly indelicate – and she suddenly flung herself up at me, grappling like a wrestler, and positively yowled as she clung with her arms round my neck and her bells pealing all over the place.

“Now, that’s a good little Indian maid,” says I, and stopped her entreaties with my mouth, while I went to work in earnest, but very slowly, Susie-fashion, which was a marvel of delightful self-restraint, and I’m sure did her a power of good. For as the warm dawn came up, and I was drowsing happily under the blanket and deciding there were worse places to be than the Gila forest, there were those little lips at my ear, and those hard breasts against me, and the tiny whisper: “Make my bells ring again, pinda-lickoyee.” So we rang the changes for breakfast.

It's good he included Susie at the top there.

And also, that's the end of that chapter! He's loved and/or accepted by all around, let's see if (how) he fucks it all up... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

There’s nothing like teaching a new bride old tricks, and by the time our forest idyll was over I flatter myself Sonsee-array was a happier and wiser woman. Ten days was enough of it, though, for she was an avid little beast who preferred quantity to quality – unlike Elspeth, for example, whose beguiling innocence masked the most lecherously inventive mind of the last century, and whose conduct on our honeymoon would have caused the good citizens of nearby Troon to burn her at the stake, if they’d known. No, young Sonsee-array was more like Duchess Irma, who on discovering a good thing couldn’t get enough of it, but where rogering had melted Irma’s imperious nature to the point where she was prepared to await her lord’s pleasure, my spirited Apache knew no such restraint. When she wanted her bells rung, she said so – she was tough, too, and discovered a great fondness for committing the capital act standing up under a waterfall in our stream; no wonder I’ve got rheumatism today, but it’s worth it for the memory of that wet brown body lying back in my supporting arms while the water cascaded down over her upturned face, with me grinding away up to my knees in the shallows.

For the rest, she was an affectionate, cheerful little soul, so long as she got her own way – for she was damnably spoiled, and immensely vain of her Spanish blood, regarding the true-bred Mimbrenos with great condescension, even her terrible father. I remember the contempt with which she spoke of his habit of calling her by the pet-name of Takes-Away-Clouds-Woman, which she said was just what you might expect of a sentimental old savage, instead of by her proper name, Morning Star, which she thought much more fitting for an Apache princess.

“But it suits you,” says I, stroking away at her leggings. “You take away my clouds, I can tell you. Besides, I like your fanciful Indian names – what’s mine, by the way, apart from white-eye?”

“Don’t you know? Why, ever since you rode with your lance at the pegs, everyone calls you by a fine name: White-Rider-Goes-So-Fast-He-Destroys-the-Wind-with-His-Speed.”

It sounded not bad, if a bit of a mouthful. “They can’t call me all that every time,” says I.

“Of course not, foolish one – they shorten it. He-Who-Breaks-the-Wind, or just Wind Breaker.” She was in dead earnest, too. “Why, don’t you like it?”

“Couldn’t be better,” says I. Just my luck to get one of their names that contracts to something frightful when translated. I knew an Oglala once whose full name was Brave-Pursues-Enemies-So-Fiercely-He-Has-No-Time-To-Change-His-Clothes – that came out as Stinking Drawers, and I can give you chapter and verse if you doubt it. I said I’d rather she chose me a pet name.

“Let me think,” says she, nestling. “A name … you should win it by some great and wonderful deed.” She giggled, and her hand strayed mischievously. “I know … it should be Man-Who-Rings-Her-Bells-Makes-Her-Heart-Melt.” Her mouth trembled and her lids narrowed. “Ah, yes …! Win your new name … please … now, Wind Breaker!” I reckon I did, too, so far as she was concerned – but the Yawner was still calling me Wind Breaker last year, drat him.

Hee hee.

quote:

Sonsee-array and I returned to the Copper Mines just as the community was moving into winter quarters in the hills, and if you wonder why I hadn’t taken advantage of our solitary state on honeymoon to make a break for freedom – well, I still didn’t know where I was, even, and although we’d been undisturbed. I’d had a shrewd idea that the Yawner and Quick Killer were never far away. Now, to make matters worse, the tribe moved about thirty miles south-west, farther than ever from the Del Norte and safety, into a mountainous forest where if I’d been fool enough to run I’d have been lost and recaptured in no time.

So there was nothing for it but to settle down, with a heavy heart, and wait through those awful months, telling myself that the chance of escape must come in the spring. When I thought back to the snug billet I’d abandoned at Susie’s in Santa Fe, and the foul luck that had led me to Gallantin and this nightmare, I could have wept – but at least I was still whole, and no worse off than I’d been in Madagascar, and I’d got out of that, in the end. Now, as then, I forced myself to remember that there was a world outside this stinking collection of native huts and neolithic brutes, a world with Elspeth in it, and white faces, and beds and houses and clean linen and honest food and drink and civilised whores. I must just wait and watch, keep my Arab up to strength, learn everything I could, and when the time came, ride like the devil, leaving the latest Mrs Flashman and her charming relatives forever.

The more I saw of them that winter, the more I grew to detest them; in case you suppose from the recent tender passages that marriage and kinship had made me at all “soft” on Apaches, let me put you right. I became fairly well acquainted with Mangas Colorado, perforce, and quite friendly with the Yawner, while Sonsee-array was a charming and energetic bedmate – but they were monsters, all of them, and I include my dear little wife. Loving and even captivating she could be, with her pretty ways and fluent Spanish and a few civilised habits (like washing regularly) picked up from her unfortunate mother, but at heart she was as vicious and degraded an Apache as any of them. I shan’t forget the night when she snuggled up telling me Indian legends, like The Boy Who Could Not Go West, and some reference to a villain’s sticky end reminded her of the fate of those members of Gallantin’s band who’d been taken prisoner. There’d been fifteen of them, and the Mimbreno Ladies Sewing Circle had held a contest to see who could keep a victim alive longest under torture; the other women’s patients, Sonsee-array told me proudly, had all expired after a few hours, but she had kept that poor devil Ilario lingering in unspeakable agony for two solid days – she described it in gruesome detail, chuckling drowsily, while I lay listening with the sweat icy on my skin. Having known Narreeman and good Queen Ranavalona and Gezo’s Amazons, I had no illusions about the fair sex’s talent for tickling up the helpless male – but this was the sweet child of sixteen whom I’d married and sported with in sylvan glades like Phyllis and Corydon! I tupped her with no great ardour that night, I can tell you.

But it was of a piece with all that I knew, and was still to learn that winter, of the Apache: they truly enjoy cruelty, for its own sake – and incidentally they are a living contradiction of the old fable (although it happens to be true in my own case) that a bully who delights in inflicting pain is invariably a coward. For if they have a virtue – in most folk’s eyes, anyway – it is courage; you never saw a scared Apache yet. It’s been their downfall; unlike the other tribes, they never knew when to quit against the pony soldiers; my old pal Yawner fought on until there was only a tattered remnant of his band left to be herded on to the reservation (which, be it noted, was more mercy than ever he’d shown to a beaten foe; if Apache custom had been applied to the ’Pash, there wouldn’t be one left).

Flash certainly isn't softening as he recollects.

quote:

They knew how to fight, too, after their fashion, far better than the Plains Tribes; given numbers, they might be holding out in Arizona yet, for bar the Pathans they were the best guerrillas ever I saw. They train their boys from infancy in every art of woodcraft and ambush and decoy (and theft), which is the way they love to make war, rather than in open battle. That winter in the Gila hills I saw lads of six and seven made to run up and down mountains, lie doggo for hours, spend nights half-naked in the snow, track each other through the brush, run off horses, and exercise constantly with club and knife, axe and lance, sling and bow. Damned good they are, too, but best of all – they could vanish into thin air.

The Yawner himself showed me this, one day when I’d admired his skill in stalking a deer; he said it was nothing, and if I wanted to see how good he was, let me turn my back and count my fingers ten times. So I did, and when I looked round the little bastard had simply disappeared – this on a bare plain without a scrap of cover for half a mile. He absolutely wasn’t there – until he stood up at my elbow, with his huge gaping grin, and showed me the shallow trench he had scraped in silence and in less than two minutes, within a few yards of me; he’d pulled tufts of grass and earth over his body, and although I’d looked directly at the spot, I’d seen nothing. No one ever believes that story, but I’ve watched as many as twenty ’Pash at a time vanish in that way, and there are US Army scouts who’ll vouch for it.43 It’s one of the first lessons they teach their boys; it was after seeing it that I began to suspect that they might give the Yanks a run for their money – and they did, didn’t they?

Apart from these warlike activities, I learned many curious things about them that winter – their love of sports, such as running and swimming, horse-racing, and shooting or throwing lances at rolling hoops; the women have a game much like hockey, at which Sonsee-array excelled, but the great pastime is dice, for all Apaches are inveterate gamblers. They’re also highly superstitious – an Apache will never speak his name (I’m told the Chiricahua never speak to their mothers-in-law, either, sensible chaps), or hunt a bear, and they think rattlesnakes are inhabited by lost souls; they regard fish as unclean meat, never drink milk, can’t multiply or divide – although some of them can count higher than any other Indians I met – and speak a language which I never mastered. That was partly because most of them spoke Spanish, more or less, but also because it’s damned complicated, with five times as many vowel sounds as we have, and the ’Pash, unlike most Indians, are the worst mutterers you ever heard, and nineteen to the dozen at that.44 But the main reason I never learned Apache was that I disliked them and everything about them too much to want to.

Lucky he had the interpreter when dealing with the Navajo.

So, what's to become of him when spring arrives? We'll find out.. next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

From all this you’ll gather that it was a damned long winter, and made no easier by the fact that a male Apache does nothing in all that time except a little light hunting; for the rest he loafs, eats, sleeps, drinks, and thinks up devilment for the spring, so that in addition to being miserable and fearful, I was also bored – when you find yourself glad even of Mangas Colorado to talk to, by God you’re in a bad way. The only worthwhile amusement was teaching Sonsee-array new positions – for there was no question of so much as looking at another female, even if I’d dared or wanted to; they’re fearfully hot against adultery, you see, and punish it by clipping the errant female’s nose off – what they do to the man I was careful not to inquire.

But one thing that interminable season of waiting certainly did accomplish: they got used to me, and by the time the snow melted in the lower valleys I doubt if it occurred even to the shrewd, suspicious Mangas that I might be preparing to slip my cable. I’d been a model, if reserved, son-in-law, Sonsee-array was clearly infatuated, and what pinda-lickoyee, honoured by admission to the Mimbreno and marriage to the Morning Star, would be so half-witted as to want to return to his own people? At any rate, when the first big war-party was formed to open the season with a descent on the Del Norte, it was simply assumed that I would take my part; Mangas even returned to me the revolver I’d lost when I was captured, and Sonsee-array herself painted the white stripe across my nose from ear to ear and gloated at the thought of the booty I’d bring home: jewellery was what she wanted, but silk or lace would be acceptable, too, and a couple of Mexican boys as domestic slaves – I can’t think why she didn’t ask for girls.

“And some new bells, for my moccasins,” says she, with that slow pouting smile that was the only thing that had made life endurable through that awful winter. “To make her heart melt.” D’you know, it was ridiculous, but as I took my arm from round her waist, mounted the Arab, and looked down into those lovely cinnamon eyes for what I hoped to God would be the last time, I felt a pang? There were great tears in them, and I don’t care – it may be as hellish a place as that camp was, with those painted apemen jabbering as they swung aboard their ponies, the women clustered round the hovels, the place foul and stinking with the winter’s filth, the dogs yapping among the piles of refuse, the acrid smoke of the morning fires catching at your throat, and the horror of that captivity burned into your mind, but when your woman sees you away, and cries over your departure, and reaches up to catch your hand and press it to her cheek, and you look back and see the little white figure among the pines, waving you out of sight … well, I thought, I’ve ridden worse, waterfalls or not, and the next buck that gets you is going to be a lucky man, for you’re the best-trained red romp in North America.

There's always that mix of comeuppance and celebration that makes Flashman bearable and fascinating.

quote:

There were perhaps a hundred of us setting out from the hill camp that day, including all the principal men of the tribe, Mangas himself, Delgadito, Black Knife, Iron Eyes, Ponce, the Yawner, and Quick Killer; every horse in the valley had been pressed into service, for the Apaches were by no means so flush of horse-flesh then as they became later, and about a quarter of our command were afoot. The medicine men inspected us to make sure we had our talismans and medicine cords, and that the younger fellows had their scratching-tubes; then they threw pollen at the sun, chanting, and off we went, in five groups as we left the hills, which is the Apache style on the warpath, the separate bands scouring the country and converging on the main objective. My heart leaped as I heard Mangas shouting in their dialect to the infantry groups as they branched off north-east across the plain, and I caught the name “Fra Cristobal”. For that lay north on the Del Norte, not far south of Socorro, and if I couldn’t win to safety between here and there – well, there would be something far wrong. Needless to say, there was.

From the hills our five groups fanned out across the mesa which stretched away endlessly towards the east; I was in the centre group, with Mangas and Delgadito; I wasn’t sorry that the Yawner and Quick Killer went with one of the south-east bands, for they were the last chaps I wanted on my tail when the time came to cut stick. We rode due east, with the sun like a pale luminous ball in the misty morning, and made good time at a brisk trot; we must have covered forty miles that first day, and I was pleased that my Arab showed no signs of fatigue. We saw not a living soul on the plain, but in mid-afternoon I had the shock of my life, for ahead of us on the horizon there came into view the outline of what could only be a city, and such a city as I couldn’t believe existed in this wilderness. Great buildings reared up out of the mesa in symmetrical array; brown adobe by the look of them, but far larger than anything even in Santa Fe. It was bewildering, but my companions paid no heed to it, riding on in their usual sullen silence on either side of me, and it was only when we got to within a mile or so that I realised these weren’t buildings at all, but enormous square and oblong rocks, for all the world as though some giant had set them down like a child’s building bricks in the middle of nowhere. We passed within half a mile of them, and they looked so neatly arranged, and reminded me so much of an enormous Stonehenge, that I supposed they must be the work of some savage sun-worshippers, though how they transported those massive stones I couldn’t imagine.

Nope, 100% natural formation according to Fraser.

quote:

We camped that night in a shallow river-bottom filled with cotton-woods, and rode on next day through broken country which began to incline slowly downwards; my excitement rose, for I guessed we must be approaching the Del Norte valley. Sure enough, in the late afternoon we came out of low hills, and there below us in the fading light of sunset lay the familiar fringe of cottonwoods, with here and there a gleam of water amongst them, and low scraggy bluffs beyond. Just over the river smoke was rising from a fair-sized village, all peaceful in the last rays of the afternoon sun. As we dismounted, my heart was thumping fit to burst as I realized that if this was our quarry, I’d never get a better chance to break.

We were in a little gully, and while we stripped off our shirts and oiled ourselves, and renewed our paint – it’s mad, isn’t it, a civilised white man decorating himself like a savage, but after six months among these beasts I never thought twice about it – Mangas told Delgadito what was to be done. We would ford the river with the last of the light, descend on the village, burn and pillage it, especially of any horses and mules it might contain, and withdraw to our present position for the night; we didn’t want prisoners, since tomorrow we would be riding north, wiping up any small settlements that lay in our path along the river, making for the rendezvous where we would meet the walking bands.

Mangas was not to lead us against the village in person. In many ways he was a man after my own heart, for he never ventured his skin unless he had to, but no one thought twice about it, his valour was so well-established – and how many civilised generals do you know who scrimmage alongside their soldiery? While Delgadito, a slim, evil-faced villain who looked more Spaniard than Apache, gave us our tactical directions, Mangas loafed among us inspecting; I can still see that huge, stooped untidy figure in the gloaming as he stopped before me, the black eyes glinting beneath his hat-brim, and feel his coarse thumb as he wiped a smear of paint from my cheek and patted my shoulder, and smell the rank odour that I associate forever with the word Apache.

“Softly across the ford, then scatter and ride straight in,” growls Delgadito. “First kill, then plunder, then burn – all except for Iron Eyes, Wind Breaker, and Cavallo, who ride round for the far side and secure the corral.” Very neat and professional, thinks I. “Right, Mimbreno? Let’s go!”

I’ve ridden in some odd company in my time – Light Brigade at Balaclava, Ilderim’s Pathan irregulars, Yakub Beg’s Khokand horde under Fort Raim, to say nothing of Custer and that maniac J. E. B. Stuart – but that descent of the Apaches across the Del Norte must have been the strangest of all. Picture if you will that score of primitives with their painted faces and head-bands and ragged kilts and boots, fairly bristling with lances and hatchets, and in their midst the tall figure of the English gentleman, flower of the 11th Hussars, with the white stripe across his face, his hair rank to his shoulders, his buckskins stinking to rival the Fleet Ditch, lance in fist and knife on hip – you’d never think he’d played at Lord’s or chatted with the Queen or been rebuked by Dr Arnold for dirty finger-nails (well, yes, you might) or been congratulated by my Lord Cardigan on his brilliant turnout. “Haw-Haw, Fwashman wides uncommon well, don’t he, Jones?” – and there was his pride and joy, as foul an aborigine as any of them, picking his way through the shallows and sand-flats, and breaking with a whoop and a scream as the first yell of alarm rose from the village, the shots rang out, and the savage band charged into the mass of huts with Delgadito at their head.

And we saw or will see all of those except for the ride with Stuart. Unless he's referring to a Civil War ride with Custer in which case no, sadly not.

We can compare this raid with the ones seen earlier... next time!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I think this sequence (and a lot of others throughout this book) emphasise how much of a potential action hero Flashman is. To many readers, who aren't accustomed to unthinking boys own heroism from their protagonists, he would appear, if not exactly courageous, to be very assured and cool in dangerous situations. Really his only let-downs are not wanting to gallantly stick it out when all appears lost, and his unwillingness to go risk his life unless he has to. But outside of adventure novels, most of us would agree with that latter part!

He's obviously a competent enough soldier to take part in this war party without disgrace (this bit strains credulity slightly - he describes the Apache expertise in irregular warfare, but he doesn't mention being given any training in their tactics or familiarisation with the local terrain), he understands that the risks by military standards are minimal. But he's cool enough to disregard the minor risks of being shot during the raid etc, and focus on when is the best chance to risk his life by escaping, presumably because to him, living out his life among the Apache is worse than dying.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’d love to read the author’s wartime memoirs. Can anyone who’s read them say if he talks about being scared out of his mind and not wanting to fight?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

poisonpill posted:

I’d love to read the author’s wartime memoirs. Can anyone who’s read them say if he talks about being scared out of his mind and not wanting to fight?
It's incredibly formulaic "sure, I was scared the whole time. I was no hero - I was just doing my job, looking out for my buddies who were depending on me" stuff. (That's "Quartered Safe Out Here" - his adventures with the Scottish comic relief troop are combat-free)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xander77 posted:

It's incredibly formulaic "sure, I was scared the whole time. I was no hero - I was just doing my job, looking out for my buddies who were depending on me" stuff. (That's "Quartered Safe Out Here" - his adventures with the Scottish comic relief troop are combat-free)

Errr except for about every 20 minutes he turns into that weird UKIP guy down the pub ranting for a few pages about how the Empire has gone downhill or how much he enjoyed shooting fleeing Japanese soldiers in the back. This becomes more true you get further into the book, it's fairly :stonk:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Errr except for about every 20 minutes he turns into that weird UKIP guy down the pub ranting for a few pages about how the Empire has gone downhill or how much he enjoyed shooting fleeing Japanese soldiers in the back. This becomes more true you get further into the book, it's fairly :stonk:

I will concede that his political outlook is very outdated, he certainly seems to have been the sort of bloke who'd refuse to admit the Empire was fundamentally a project for material/economic gain, and drat any human cost.

I dispute the characterisation that he says he enjoyed shooting fleeing Japanese soldiers in the back though. He specifically describes sighting down his rifle at enemy soldiers (who I think were retreating, or at any rate caught out at a disadvantage and out of cover, not firing back) and says he felt no shame or hesitation, just satisfaction at scoring hits. That seems a fairly honest and reasonable point about his mindset at the time - I don't think many soldiers in war do feel much internal conflict about killing in the moment. And shooting the enemy whilst they're in disarray is not at all against the rules of war, it's sort of considered the ideal time. 'Fleeing soldiers' isn't the same as soldiers who are surrendering, they tend to be running off to take up new positions and resume shooting at you.

There's a separate point to be made about why he felt the need to insist he didn't feel any regret about killing during the war. I certainly don't think his views were beyond reproach. But if you consider him an unusually bloodthirsty person based on his memoir, I have similarly bad news about a huge proportion of the people who served in combat in WW2 (or any war).

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Genghis Cohen posted:

he certainly seems to have been the sort of bloke who'd refuse to admit the Empire was fundamentally a project for material/economic gain, and drat any human cost.

Not disagreeing since I haven’t read it, but how does this square with the Flashman presentation of the Empire as a rapacious amoral greedy violent machine?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

poisonpill posted:

Not disagreeing since I haven’t read it, but how does this square with the Flashman presentation of the Empire as a rapacious amoral greedy violent machine?

I think his view may have fallen somewhere between Flashman's amorality and the staunch heroism of the characters he was parodying? Like Fraser does seem to admit there was hypocrisy and cruelty in the Empire, but he also seems to see something to admire in the Christian morality and 'civilising mission' that some of the colonialists did at least partly believe in. How many universities did Britain build in India, etc. Whereas we now might say, well, the Indians didn't want the UK to import great swathes of their institutions to rule over them, so the UK shouldn't have done it, Fraser might think that those institutions were better than what the Indians had previously, so on the balance it was a good thing. Basically I think he acknowledges the Empire had its flaws, but he retains more affection for it than most observers of later generations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

poisonpill posted:

You will note the later the book, the more he tends to be sympathetic to it (while still acknowledging its flaws)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A big part of the Flashman books (often not just subtext, but black-and-white stated text) is that while the British Empire was a exploitative machine that expanded through violence and tried to cover it up with a bunch of hypocritical wheezing about bringing the gifts of civilization to the benighted heathen savage, the rulers they were displacing were every bit as awful (if not worse) to their populace than the Brits were, so really everyone is a bastard when you get right down to it, no one has any moral standing, and the strong dominate the weak (so always try to get on the side of the strong, like Flashman).

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Yea, true. It’s not racist or nationalist in the sense that I’d judge Fraiser to believe English culture or English people are in any sense better or morally superior than any of the people from Africa, Asia, Europe… The English were just better at taking what they could, which is at least a utilitarian positive.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I was answering a specific question, not reviewing how problematic the memoirs were as a whole. If anything, I was impressed by the long and terminably self-contradictory defense of the Atom bomb (from the county who didn't even do it, but still felt the need to defend the honor of their lords and masters). Reviewed somewhere in this thread, I believe.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

I swerved after Iron Eyes under the cottonwoods behind the village – and my eyes were already straining ahead towards the low bluffs beyond. If I could drop out of sight in the confusion, and make my way through the dusk, it might be hours before they realised I’d gone, and by that time I’d be flying north along the east bank of the Del Norte – by God, and I wouldn’t stop till I reached Socorro at least …

There was a shriek from my left; Cavallo had reined up and was letting fly with his bow at an elderly Mexican who had emerged from one of the huts and was standing flat-footed as the arrow took him in the chest; he toppled back, clawing at it, and a woman ran to him from the doorway, an infant clasped on her hip. She stopped with an unearthly scream at the sight of Cavallo, and the evil bastard whooped with glee and rode her down; he leaned from the saddle to seize her by the hair and slashed her across the throat with his knife, and as the infant rolled free from the dying woman’s grasp, he let her go and turned the bloody knife in his hand, managing his mount to get a clear throw at the helpless, squalling little bundle. Without thinking I jerked out my Colt and let blaze at him; the knife fell as he reeled in the saddle; he was staring at me in blank astonishment as he clutched his belly, and I thrust my pistol towards his ugly painted face and blew it to pieces.

It was all over in a second, and I was staring round in alarm for Iron Eyes, but he had vanished into the shadows ahead; my shots would be lost in the hideous uproar from beyond the huts, where those fiends were at their red work; shrieks of agony mingled with the whoops and reports, and a ruddy glare from a lighted thatch was already rising to light the shadows around me. I wheeled my Arab and urged her into the concealment of the bushes beyond the cotton-woods – in the nick of time, for here were two Mexicans appearing from between the huts, one of them crying out in horror as he saw the slain woman, the other letting fly with his ancient musket at Iron Eyes, who came at the gallop out of the dark. The shot missed him, and the Mexican went down before his lance thrust; as the second dago rose from the woman’s corpse and hurled himself at Iron Eyes, I thought, now’s your time, my boy, while they’re well occupied. In all that mêlée, no one was going to miss old Flashy for the moment; I slid from the saddle, took the Arab’s nose, and led her through the bushes to the far side, where I remounted and made haste towards a gully that opened in the bluff not a furlong away.

The bushes and trees screened me behind; over my shoulder I could see the glow of burning buildings, and envisage the horror that was taking place, but as I gained the gully the awful din of conflict was cut off, and I was coursing up the narrow ravine towards the dimly-seen mesa ahead. Five minutes and I was out on the flat, but there were bluffs ahead, and I veered off eastward, since to flank them on the river side might bring me too close for comfort to the eyes of my comrades.

Does the barest hint of good as he makes his flight, let's see where that gets him.

quote:

I was free! After six months with those hellish brutes I was riding clear, and within a day – two days at most – of safety among my own kind. However fast Mangas and his mob of fiends moved up the west bank, I must be flying ahead of them; I could have yelled with delight as I pressed ahead at a steady hard gallop, feeling the game little Arab surge along beneath me. Dark was coming down, and stars were showing clear in the purple vault overhead, but I was determined to put a good twenty miles between me and possible pursuit before I halted. They must miss me by tomorrow, and knowing their skill in tracking, I didn’t doubt that they would pick up the Arab’s trail eventually, but by then I would have a day’s lead of them; I might even have found a large enough settlement to count myself safe.

I took a sight on the North Star as I rode; so long as I made straight for it I should do well enough, and be able to turn in towards the river when I felt it safe to do so. It was too dark to see much on either side, but the going was hard and level, and I trusted the Arab’s footwork. I was still trembling from the shock and elation of escape, and my mouth was dry, so I took a swig from the little canteen at my belt – I must make for water as soon as it was light, but I had some jerked beef in my pouch, and the Arab would be well enough with rough grazing.

For two hours I rode steadily on, and then slowed as the moon rose, to take my bearings. To my right was nothing; on the left a range of hills rose in the distance, which gave me a jar for a moment – the river ought to be that way, surely … but perhaps those hills lay beyond it; that must be the explanation … it was impossible to judge distance in that uncertain light. But as the moon came up I was able to see as clear as day, and what I saw puzzled me. Instead of the usual rough mesa, I was on a dead flat plain, with a few sparse bushes here and there; the ground, when I tested it, was more like sandy rock than the usual crumbly red earth of the Del Norte valley.

Off to my right a prairie wolf howled dismally; it had turned bitterly cold, and I unstrapped my blanket before riding on, my spirits unaccountably lower than they had been. I couldn’t figure where I was at all – but so long as I kept north I must be all right. It looked a fairly waterless desolation, though, and when I saw a point of rocks off to my left I made for it, in the hope of finding a stream, but no luck. The rocks were spooky in the moon shadows, and looked a likely lurking-place for snakes or poisonous lizards, so I turned away sharp, and to my relief found myself on a well-defined wagon road leading dead north. There were distinct ruts, and I pushed on in better heart, hoping to come on to less desolate country soon; but as I rode I realised that the scant bushes on either side had petered out, and there wasn’t a sign of growth or grass as far as I could see in the silvery radiance. Even the occasional yelp of the coyote was absent now. I halted and listened. Nothing but an immense, empty silence surrounded me, and an icy fear that was not of the freezing night took hold of me. This was not canny; it was as though I were in some dead world – and at that moment the Arab’s hoof struck something that rang sharp and hollow. It wasn’t a rock, so I climbed down and groped under her hooves; my hand fell on a light, hollow object, I picked it up – and screamed an oath as it fell from my shaking hand. Grinning up at me from the white floor of the desert was a human skull.

New small horrors notwithstanding he seems to have made a clean break of it.

quote:

I squatted there trembling, and in sudden revulsion kicked the ghastly thing aside. It rattled off the road, and came to rest beside a pile of white sticks which I realised with a thrill of horror was the skeleton of some large beast – an ox or a horse which must have died beside the wagon-tracks. As I stared fearfully ahead I saw in the fading moonlight that there were other similar piles here and there … skeletons of men and animals beside a deserted road in the middle of a great waterless plain of rock and sand. It rushed in on me with frightening certainty; I knew where I was, all right. There was only one place in the whole of this cursed land of New Mexico that it could be – by some dreadful mischance I had strayed into the Jornada del Muerto – the terrible Journey of the Dead Man.

For a moment panic seized me, and then I took hold, and tried to remember what the soldier had said that morning south of Socorro: “A hundred and twenty-five miles of rock and sand … no water, unless you happen to find a rain pool … only one way across – fill your mount with water, take at least two canteens, start at three in the morning and go like hell, because if you don’t make it in twenty-four hours, you don’t make it.”

I was in the saddle before I had finished recollecting, for my one hope was to push on at my uttermost speed while the cool night lasted. How far had I come? Perhaps twenty miles – one hundred to go … but unless I found water I was a dead man. Could the Arab carry my weight for another five hours – say, thirty miles, which would see me almost halfway on my journey? If he could, and I found water at – where was it? Laguna? – we should get through, but if I pushed him too hard, and he foundered … But I daren’t dawdle now. I paused long enough to pour the last couple of inches of water from my canteen over his tongue, and then pressed ahead through the freezing night, while the moon sank and I was riding almost blind with no sound but the echoing hoofbeats over that trackless plain, and the Pole Star over the Arab’s ears.

By resting at intervals, I kept him going for close to six hours, and then gave him two hours with my blanket over him to keep out the chill – his health was a damned sight more important than mine just then. The cold was sharp enough to be truly painful, and we were beginning to suffer damnably from thirst; the poor brute nuzzled and snuffled at me, trying to bite the canteen; I led him ahead for a while, and suddenly he began to chafe and heave, neighing feverishly, and knowing the signs I mounted and let him have his head. He fairly flew along, for the best part of another hour; I felt that we were descending a slight incline, and as the first dawn came over the Jornada I saw ahead through the mist the undoubted glitter of water pools. My tongue was too dry to holla for joy; I fairly flung out of the saddle and threw myself face down at the first pool – and to my horror the Arab sped on, clattering through the mist, while I sank down between consternation and thirst – thirst won, I thrust my face into the pool – and started back with a croak of horror. It was pure brine.

If I have grey hairs, is it any wonder? If I have any hair at all, it’s a miracle, for I swear that in that dreadful moment I started tearing at the stuff, staggering to my feet, ploughing ahead, trying to rave to the bloody pony to stop, wherever he was, and unable to produce more than a rasping sob from my parched throat. I ran in blind panic, stumbling through the mist, knowing that I was a dying man already, without water, without a horse, and lost in that arid desert; twice I fell on the sandy rock, and twice I rose, blubbering, but at my third collapse I simply lay and pounded the ground with my fists until they were raw, and I could only writhe and whimper in despair.

Dying by his own path instead of getting shot in the back would also be fitting, let's see what awaits him... next time!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Poor horsie.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

reading it a few pages at a time like this really highlights how goddam good Fraser is at this

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Something touched the back of my neck – something wet and cold, and I rolled over with a gasp of fear to find the Arab nuzzling at me. By God, his muzzle was soaking! I stared ahead – there were other pools – one of them must be fresh, then! I lurched up and ran to the nearest, but the clever little brute trotted on to stand by a farther pool, so I followed, and a moment later I was face down in clear, delicious water, letting it pour until it almost choked me, rolling in the stuff while the little Arab came for another swig, dipping daintily like the gentleman he was. I fairly hugged him, and then saw to it that he drank until he was fit to burst.

We rested for a couple of hours, and I wished to God I had just one good waterskin instead of the pathetic little pottle at my belt. Such as it was, I filled it, and we rode up out of that long shallow depression in the warm dawn; ahead stretched that fearful desert, with never a scrub or vestige of grass on it. To the right lay grim barren mountains, with rocky spurs running down to the plain, and to my left front more hills in the far distance – surely they must be the Cristobal range by the Del Norte? I pointed the Arab’s head towards them; if we pushed on hard now, we might reach them even through the worst heat of the day. We set off at a gallop, I turned in the saddle for a last look-see behind – and reined up, staring back in consternation.

Far off on the south-western horizon a little column of dust was rising … ten miles? Fifteen? However far, it meant only one thing: horsemen. And the only horsemen who would be riding north in the Jornada del Muerto must be Apaches.

They had spotted my trail, then, within a few hours of my evasion, for I didn’t doubt for a moment that it was Mangas’s band, hell-bent to avenge the mortal insult dealt to their chief and his daughter, their raiding forgotten for the moment. Well, they could ride themselves blue in the face, for there wasn’t one of their cattle fit to live in a race with my little Arab … provided he didn’t go lame, or founder in the heat, or step on a loose stone …

I watched the cloud grow imperceptibly larger, and turned the Arab away from the Cristobal hills, heading just east of north to give them a direct stern chase in which they would have no chance to head me off. Time enough, when I’d distanced them, to make for the Del Norte.

For four hours we went at the run, while I watched the pursuing dust-cloud dwindle and finally vanish, but not on that account did I slacken our pace, for I knew they were still there, reading my trail, and it was only when the heat of the day began to scorch us unbearably, and I became aware that I was almost dead from sheer weariness and hunger and thirst, that I drew rein at the first grass that we had sighted since entering that hellish plain. It was poor fodder, but the little Arab fairly laid his lugs back, and didn’t I envy him?

Passages like these make you appreciate the little necessities.

quote:

I gave him the last of the water, telling myself that we must come on a stream in an hour or two, for the Jornada desert was petering out into mesa studded with sage and greasewood, and there were dimly-seen hills on the northern horizon; I trotted on, turning at every mile to stare through the shimmering heat haze southwards, but there was no movement in that burning emptiness. Then it began to blow from the west, a fierce, hot wind that grew to a furnace heat, sending the tumbleweed bouncing by and whirling up sand-spouts twenty feet high; we staggered on through that blinding, stinging hail for more than an hour in an agony of thirst and exhaustion, and just when I was beginning to despair of ever reaching water, we came on a wide riverbed with a little trickle coursing through its bottom. In the dust-storm I’d have passed it by, but the little Arab nosed it out, whinnying with excitement, and in a moment we were both gulping down that cool delicious nectar, wallowing in it to our hearts’ content.

You mayn’t think it’s possible to get drunk on water, but you’d be wrong, for I reckon that’s just what I did, gorging myself with it to the point where my brain became fuddled, so that in my lassitude common sense and caution took wing, and I crawled under the lee of the bank out of the wind, and lapsed into a sodden sleep.

The Arab saved me. I came to wondering where the devil I might be, and what the noise was; recollection returned as I gazed round the empty river bottom. The wind had dropped, but it must have been only a lull in the storm, for the sky was grey and lowering, and there was that uncanny stillness that you can almost feel. The Arab neighed again, stamping excitedly, and I was just scrambling to my feet when from far away down the water-course came a faint answering whinny. I threw myself at the Arab’s head, clamping his nostrils and hugging his muzzle; I strained my ears, and sure enough, from somewhere beyond the bend of the dry bed came the sound of hooves. With an oath I seized the bridle and stumbled up towards the lip of the bank, heedless of the clatter of stones; we gained the flat, but it was empty both sides – nothing but low scrub and rank grass, with rising ground a mile or two ahead, and tree-clad foothills beyond.

All this in a glimpse as I swung into the saddle, dug in my heels and went hell-for-leather – and only in the nick of time. Three strides we’d taken when something whizzed like a huge hornet overhead, there was a blood-chilling shriek from behind, and as I turned my head, there they were, surging over the lip of the bank a hundred yards to my left – a dozen of those dreaded figures with their scarved heads and flying hair, bows and lances flourished, whooping like fiends as they bore after me.

Another half-minute in the river-bottom and they’d have had me – even now, as I put my head down and the Arab went like a rat up a drainpipe, it was going to be a damned close thing. A sling-stone buzzed past me (someone less skilled than the Yawner, thank God), but we were flying now, and in a minute we were out of range, drumming across the mesa with that chorus of savage yells waking the echoes behind. I stole another glance; there were four of them bunched together, close enough for me to make out Iron Eyes at their head, and the rest strung out behind; they screamed and urged on their ponies, but they’d been riding continuously, I guessed, for hours, while the Arab was fresh as paint; barring a slip, we must draw steadily away from them – I forced myself to keep my eyes forrard, intent on the ground ten yards in front of the Arab’s ears; I picked my course through the low bushes, watching the forested gullies of the foothills coming closer, stealing another backward look – they were a furlong adrift now. That was the moment when the bridle snapped.

Hahahah! Good grief.

quote:

One moment it was whole, the next it was trailing loose in my hands. I believe I screamed aloud, and then I had my fists wrapped in the Arab’s mane, holding on for dear life, crouching down as a gunshot cracked out behind – there was precious little chance they’d hit me, but now as I raised my head, an infinitely worse peril loomed before me. Out on the flat I had little to fear, but once into those rocky ravines and forested slopes my Arab’s speed would count for nothing; I must keep to the open, for my life – but even as I prepared to swerve I saw to my horror that already I’d come too far; there were tongues of forest reaching down to the plain on both my flanks, I was heading into the mouth of a valley, it was too late to turn aside, and nothing for it but to race deeper into the trap, with the triumphant screams of the Apaches rising behind me.

Sobbing with panic, I thundered on, past rocky gullies on either side, past birch and pine thickets, the walls of the valley steadily closing in, and my Arab forced to slacken pace on the rough going. Shots cracked behind me, I heard the deadly swish of an arrow; my pony was stumbling among the loose stones, I jerked my revolver loose and glanced back – Jesus! the leader was a bare fifty yards away, quirting his mustang like fury, with another three strung out behind him. The Arab gathered himself and cleared a stream, slithering on that infernal shale as he landed; somehow he kept his balance, I urged him on—

A numbing pain shot through my right shoulder and something struck me a glancing blow on the face, I glimpsed a feathered shaft spinning away as we blundered through a screen of low bushes; I reeled in my saddle, dizzy with pain, as we raced between low red bluffs topped with thick forest, round a bend in the valley, out on to a broad expanse of loose stones bordering a shallow stream – and beyond reared a great tangle of rock and forest with no way through. The Arab slid and stumbled helplessly on the stones, I knew the Apache must be right on my heels, his war-screech rang in my ears, I was losing my hold, slipping sideways with one arm useless, and in that awful instant I had a glimpse of a man in buckskin standing on a rock not twenty yards ahead, in the act of whipping a musket to his shoulder. A puff of smoke, the crash of a shot, and I was pitching headlong into the stream.

Well, there's more of that water he wanted. I'm more worried about the horse, let's learn what we can... next time!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The horse is the real hero.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

I came out of it like a leaping salmon, floundering round to face the Apache – his riderless mustang was clattering away, and the Indian himself was writhing on the stones in his death agony; I saw him heave and shudder into stillness – but when I looked round the buckskin man was no longer there. The rock was empty, there wasn’t a sign of life among the trees and bushes fringing the gully – had I dreamed him? No, there was a wisp of smoke in the still air, there was the dead Apache – and round the bend, whooping in hellish triumph at sight of me, came Iron Eyes with two other screaming devils hard on his heels. He flung himself from his pony and raced towards the stream, lance in hand.

Instinctively I pawed at my holster – my revolver was gone! I scrambled wildly up the far bank, clawing my way towards the bushes, and fell headlong; Iron Eyes was yelling with glee as he reached the stream …

“Don’t stir a finger,” said a quiet voice from nowhere. “Just rest right there.”

There was no time to be amazed – for the painted red devil was bounding over the stream, brandishing his lance.

“Ah-hee, pinda-lickoyee dasaygo! Dee-da tatsan!”* he screeched, and paused for an instant to gloat as I sprawled helpless, his head thrown back in cruel glee – something flickered in the air between us, he gave a choking gasp and staggered back into the water, dropping the lance and plucking at the horn-handled knife protruding from beneath his chin. The two other braves, halfway to the stream, checked appalled as he flopped into the shallows, bleeding his life out – and to add to our amazement, shots were ringing out in a volley from beyond the bend in the valley, shouts of command were mingling with warwhoops, and on my disbelieving ears fell the undoubted clarion note of a bugle.

If I was stricken dumb, the Apaches weren’t; they yelled with rage or fear, and whirled about like victims in blind man’s buff in search of the unseen attacker – and it was uncanny, for one moment the trees to my left had been empty, and then there was a small, sturdy man in faded yellow buckskin standing out in the open, leisurely almost, with a hatchet in his hand and an expression of mild interest on his placid, clean-shaven face.

*"White-eyed man, you are about to die!"

quote:

He glanced at me, and then said something quietly in Apache, and the two braves gaped and then screamed defiance. The small chap shook his head and pointed down the valley; there was another crashing volley, followed by screams and the neighing of horses and the crack of single shots; even in my pain and bewilderment I concluded that some stout lads were decreasing the Mimbreno population most handily – and the nearest Apache rolled his eyes, yelled bloody murder, and he and his mate came at me like tigers, hatchets foremost.

I never saw the buckskin man move, but suddenly he was in their path and the murderous axe-heads clanged as they struck and parried and struck again faster than the eye could follow. I looked to see him cut down in seconds by those agile fighting demons, but if they were fast as cats the little chap was like quicksilver, cutting, ducking, leaping aside, darting in again as though he were on springs – I’ve seen men of their hands, but never one to cap him for speed, and he wasn’t just holding his ground, but driving them back, his hatchet everywhere at once like polished lightning, and the two of them desperately trying to fend him off. Suddenly he sprang back, lowered his hatchet, and addressed them again in Apache – and now came pounding of feet, American voices hollering, and round the bend in the valley men in stained blue coats and dragoon hats were running towards us, led by a big black-whiskered cove in plaid trousers and feathered hat, brandishing a revolver.

One Apache made a bound for the forest and was cut down by a volley from the dragoons; the other hurled himself again at the buckskin man and was met by a cut that sent him reeling back with a gashed shoulder; the whiskered man’s revolver boomed, the savage dropped – and to my amazement the small buckskin man shook his head and frowned.

“There was no necessity to shoot him,” says he, in that same gentle voice that had spoken to me from thin air. “I had hoped to talk to him.”

“Did you now?” roars Whiskers; he was a great, red-faced jolly-looking file. “Listen here, Nestor – you were talking to him just fine, in the language he understood best.” He surveyed the four dead Indians in and around the stream. “Fact, you seem to have been having one hell of a conversation.” He caught sight of me. “Who in the name of God Almighty is that?”

“Fellow they were chasing,” says the buckskin man.

“I’ll be damned! Why, he’s got Injun paint on his face! And a damned Apache-looking haircut, too!”

“He’s white, though. Hair on his chin. Wounded, too.”

Hard to decide which rescue this is most reminiscent of, probably when Brooke & Co. saved him in Singapore, though the scenery is closer to the hunting at Balmoral...

quote:

I was glad someone had mentioned that, for my arm was running like a tap, and if there’s one thing that makes me giddy it’s the sight of my own blood. What with that, the pain of my wound, the terror of the chase and of the bloody slaughter I had witnessed, I was about all in, but now they were all round me, grimed white faces staring curiosity and concern as they gave me Christian spirits – first down my throat, then on my wound, which made me yelp – and patched me up, asking no questions. A trooper gave me some beef and hard-tack, and I munched weakly, marvelling at the miracle that had brought them to my rescue – especially the supernatural appearance of the gently-spoken little fighting fury in buckskin; there he was now, squatted by the stream, carefully washing and drying the knife that had felled Iron Eyes.

It was the big jolly chap, whose name was Maxwell, who explained what had happened; they had been lying in wait for some Jicarilla horse-thieves who were believed to be making south for the Jornada, when they had seen me coming lickety-split with the Mimbrenos behind me. The little buckskin man, Nestor, knowing the ground, had guessed precisely where my flight must end, and while the soldiers had neatly ambushed the main body of my pursuers, that buckskin angel had just been in time to deal with the vanguard – one musket-shot, and then his knife and hatchet against three Bronco braves; God forbid, I remember thinking, that I should ever get on his wrong side.

But I was taking it in like a man in a dream, hardly able to believe that I was here, safe at last, among friends, and the vile ordeal of months, my escape and flight, the final horror of Iron Eyes rushing to finish me – they were all past, and I was safe, and absolutely crying with relief and shock – not sobbing, you understand, but just with tears rolling down my cheeks.

“Easy does it, now,” says Maxwell. “We’ll get those wet duds off you, and you can sleep a piece, and then we’ll hear your side of it – and, say, if you feel like trading in that pony of yours, maybe we can talk about that, too …”

He was smiling, but suddenly I couldn’t keep my eyes open; great waves of dizziness were engulfing me, my shoulder was throbbing like an engine, and I knew I was going to chalk out. The small buckskin man had come to stand beside Maxwell, looking down at me with the same mild concern he’d shown when he was facing the Apaches; I’d never seen such gentle eyes – almost like a woman’s. Perhaps I was wandering in my mind; I know as I looked at that placid, kindly face, I mumbled something, and Maxwell caught it, and his laughter was the last thing I heard before I slid under.

“Magician, you say?” The cheery red face winked and faded. “Mister, you ain’t the first that’s said that …”

And who are these rescuers, really? We'll find out that as we begin the last chapter of this era... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Maxwell claimed later that the arrow which wounded me must have been poisoned, and indeed there are some who say that the ’Pashes doctor their shafts with rattlesnake venom and putrid meat and the like. I don’t believe it myself; I never heard of it among the Mimbreno, and besides, any arrow which has been handled by an Apache, or even been within a mile of him, doesn’t need poisoning. No, I reckon they were just good old-fashioned wickiup germs that got into my system through that shoulder wound, and blew my arm up to twice its normal size, so that I babbled in delirium all the way to Las Vegas.

Why they took me there, instead of to Santa Fe which was only half the distance, remains a mystery. Apparently I started to rave and turn purple a few hours after my rescue, and since Maxwell, having whetted his appetite on the Mimbrenos, was still keen to come to grips with his Jicarilla horse-thieves, I was placed in the care of a couple of troopers with orders to get me to a medico with all speed; they carted me off on a litter borne by friendly Indians (I wouldn’t have thought there were any in that neck of the woods, but there you are), and Las Vegas was where they finished up, with the patient singing “The Saucy Arethusa” and crying out for women, so they tell me. There, presently, I awoke, in Barclay’s fort, as weak as a moth and fit for nothing but gruel.

I wasn’t sorry to be there, though. In Santa Fe I might easily have had an embarrassing encounter with my last wife but one, and for all I knew that greasy little Jesuit might have blown the gaff about my selling Cleonie to the Navajos. So I was content to recuperate under the care of Alick Barclay, a cheery Scot (which is almost as rare as a friendly Indian), and reflect on the sober fact that during eighteen months in the United States of America I had been laid out four times, married twice, shot twice (both from behind), blown up, chased for my life more often than I cared to remember, met some of the most appalling people, and … dammit, it wasn’t worth it; sooner or later this bloody country was going to prove fatal. I was still stuck in the middle of it, no nearer to home than when I started, and the prospect of a safe passage out distinctly bleak. And all because I’d squeezed Fanny Duberly’s tits at Roundway Down and played vingt-et-un for ha’pennies with the likes of D’Israeli. But it was all part of the great web of destiny, every bit of it, as you’ll see; God moves in a mysterious way, and I just wish He wouldn’t insist on carting me along with Him.

It's interesting that this passage makes a serious and joking mention of the folly of absolutism.

quote:

I’d been at Las Vegas a week when Maxwell rolled up, in great fettle; they’d not only intercepted the Jicarillas and killed five of them, but had also recovered the stolen horses, and he was now on his way back to his place at Rayado, up by Taos. He pooh-poohed my thanks jovially – I was sitting up in my cot in Barclay’s back-parlour looking pale and interesting – and was all agog to know who I was, for there hadn’t been time to introduce myself before I’d keeled over, and how I’d come to be booming up from the Jornada with paint on my face and a war-party at my heels. I was just preparing to launch into a carefully-prepared tale, leaving out such uncomfortable details as scalp-hunting and being Mangas Colorado’s son-in-law, when who should slip in but the small man in buckskin.

You’ll think me fanciful, but on the spot I decided that the yarn I’d been about to spin had better be more truthful than not. I can lie to anyone, pretty well, and usually do, but there are some birds it’s safest not to try to deceive – as often as not they’re stainless characters who could have been thorough-paced rascals if only they’d felt inclined, and consequently can spot villainy a mile off: Lincoln was like that, and Chinese Gordon, and my late Lord Wellington. And this quiet, harmless-looking little frontiersman. I don’t know what it was about him; he was the most unobtrusive, diffident cove in the world, but there was something in the patient, gentle eyes that told you lying would be a waste of time, for this was not an ordinary man. You may say that having already seen him at his business, I knew how deceptive were his soft voice and modest bearing; well, I sensed the hidden force of him now, even before I’d made the faux-pas of addressing him as Mr Nestor – which was the name I’d heard in the valley – and Maxwell had slapped his thigh in merriment and introduced him: Christopher Carson.

I stared just the same, for I don’t suppose there was a more famous man in America at that time. Everyone had heard of Kit Carson, the foremost guide, scout, and Indian fighter on the frontier, the “Napoleon of the Plains” – and most folk on first seeing him found it hard to believe that this shy, unassuming little fellow was the great hero they’d been told about. I didn’t – and my instinct told me to stick to the plain truth.

A rare instinct to kick in for him, must have made it all the more persuasive.

quote:

It was as well I did, too. I told them my real name, since it was one I hadn’t used in America (except among the ’Pash) and that I’d been on my way to Mexico when I’d fallen in with Gallantin and found myself in a scalp-hunting raid before I knew it; I made no bones about how Sonsee-array had protected me, or how I’d absconded at the first opportunity – Maxwell whistled and exclaimed as though he didn’t believe half of it, but when I’d done Carson nodded thoughtfully and says:

“Figures. Heard there was an English scalp-hunter wintering with the Mimbreno, married to Red Sleeves’ girl – thought it was just Injun talk till you rode up that valley with paint on your face. Then I knew you must be the man.” The mild eyes considered me. “You were right to make tracks. I wouldn’t care to have Mangas for my father-in-law.”

I cried amen to that, inwardly thanking God that I hadn’t strayed from the truth – plainly this little wiseacre had his finger on many unseen pulses. “But I hope, gentlemen,” says I, “that I’ve made it plain that I’m no scalp-hunter, nor ever have been.”

Maxwell laughed and shrugged it aside as of no consequence, but Carson thought for a moment (which was a great habit of his) and then said simply: “You must ha’ made it plain to Mangas Colorado,” as though that were the real point – which it was, when you came to think about it.

Still, says Maxwell judicially, I’d be best advised, the way things had fallen out, not to venture down the Del Norte again for a spell; if I was looking for a port of embarkation, why not San Francisco, and he’d give me any help he could along the way – d’you know, I suspect he absolutely felt he owed me something for having put him in the way of Apaches to slaughter, but I may have been underestimating his natural generosity. He was one of your self-made, cheery, open-handed sorts, and obviously a person of immense consequence in these parts, so when he talked of finding me a place on one of the Rocky Mountain caravans, or with a party of good Mountain Men travelling to California, I was all for it. Carson, who’d been sitting silent, spoke up again, diffident as always.

“I’ll be going north in a week or two. If you’re ready to travel then, you’re kindly welcome to ride along.”

“There you are!” cries Maxwell jovially. “That’s better than a railroad train to San Francisco, if there was such a thing!” I protested that Carson had done so much for me already that I didn’t like to trespass further on his favour; he said, on the contrary, he’d be obliged – which struck me as excessive politeness until he added, with one of his rare smiles (for he rarely grinned above a glimmer, and I never heard him laugh aloud): “Mangas Colorado’s a powerful big Injun, and I don’t know that much about him. I’d value your opinion.”

Author's Note posted:

Christopher “Kit” Carson (1809–68), guide, scout, Mountain Man and soldier, is one of the great Americans, and by all accounts, even when revisionists have combed his history for faults, seems to have been every bit as likeable as Flashman makes him sound. Only one or two points need to be made here, in relation to Flashman’s account: 1) Carson pursued Apache horse-thieves south from Rayado in March, 1850, with a party of friends and dragoons, recaptured the horses, and killed five Indians. This fits precisely with Flashman’s story, and only one question arises: either Carson’s party went 200 miles south in their pursuit (which is unlikely, but not impossible), or else Flashman has misjudged time and distance again, and was chased farther north by Iron Eyes’ band than his account suggests. The nature of the ground where Iron Eyes ran him to earth and Carson rescued him suggests the latter; his flight north may have taken a day longer than he says it did. 2) His description of Carson is accurate: the great scout was 40 at this time, clean-shaven, small and compact in build, soft-spoken, and with twinkling grey eyes, according to others who knew him. That he was illiterate seems doubtful; one biographer states flatly that he owned more than a hundred books and wrote a good clear hand; he certainly spoke French, Spanish, and several Indian dialects fluently, and does not appear to have spoken like an uneducated man. 3) Flashman says Charles Carson was a year old in the spring of 1850; historians give varying dates for the birth of the child, between 1849 and 1850. 4) Flashman’s memory is playing him false about the name of the hunter who went with them to Laramie; he is variously described as Goodall and Goodel, but not Goodwin. For the rest, the account of the journey and its purpose fits with Carson’s movements at this time; the story on pp.260 ff. is true, as is the story of Mrs White and the novelette on p.263. 5) Carson was nick-named, among other things, the “Nestor of the Plains”, and it is likely that Maxwell was using the name in jest. 6) Lucien Maxwell (1818–1875), a former Mountain Man and hunter, was a close friend of Carson’s, but of much greater ambition and worldly ability; he seems to have been a charming rascal and an intrepid frontiersman, but although he did control one of the largest private empires ever known (the Maxwell Land Grant), he died comparatively poor. (The Life and Adventures of Kit Carson, by Dewitt C. Peters, 1859; Kit Carson, by Noel B. Gerson, 1965; Dear Old Kit, by H. L. Carter; Kit Carson, by Stanley Vestal; Inman, Lavender, Bancroft.)

No shortage of fascinating fellows on these adventures. Unsurprisingly Carson's great abilities at his chosen life have made him as great a hero and terrible a villain as individuals judged appropriate to their times.

We'll be off again... next time.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 22, 2022

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

So that was how I came to ride north with Kit Carson in the spring of ’50, whereby I came safe to England eventually – and into such deadly peril, years later, as I’ve seldom faced in my life. But that was something I couldn’t foresee, thank God, when a week later we made the two-day ride north to Rayado, a pleasant little valley in the hills where Maxwell and Carson had made their homes. They were an oddly-assorted pair, those two – Maxwell, the jovial companion, frontier aristocrat, and shrewd speculator who saw where the real wealth of the west was to be found, and built his modest farm at Rayado into the largest private estate in the history of the whole wide world; and Carson, the little gentle whirlwind whose eyes were forever straying to the crest of the next hill, who loved the wild like a poet, and asked no greater possession than a few acres for his beasts and a modest house for his wife and son. Between ourselves, I didn’t care for him all that much; for one thing, he had greatness, in his way, and I don’t cotton to that; for another, although he was always amiable and considerate, I guessed he was leery of me. He knew a rogue when he saw one – and we rogues know when we’ve been seen.

For all that, he couldn’t have been more hospitable. We were two or three weeks at his house, which was like a tiny Bent’s Fort, completely walled in round a central garden and courtyard, but with pleasant rooms comfortably furnished with a great profusion of buffalo rugs and Spanish furniture. His wife, Josefa, was a remarkably handsome Mexican lady of family, and his baby son, Charlie, was a seasoned ruffian of twelve months who took to me at once, as children usually do, recognising in me a nature as unscrupulous as their own. I played “This is the way the farmer rides”, and “Roundabout mouse” with the little monster until we were both dizzy, knowing that this was the best way to win his parents’ good opinion, and Carson was obviously well pleased.

It was a wonderful restoration after all I’d been through, for the grub was the finest, the air was good, and Maxwell, who had a much larger house close by, with a large staff of servants, had us over frequently to dinner. He was a splendid host, with a fund of stories and good talk, in which Josefa and I joined, while Kit would sit quietly, listening with that faint smile, and only occasionally answering a question, always to the point. I doubt if that man ever said an unnecessary word.

He was sensitive, though, in ways you’d never have suspected. One night I remember he produced a tattered novelette and showed it to me – and if anyone tells you he was illiterate, it isn’t true. Whether he could write, I don’t know, but he read from that novel – and it was about himself, full of lurid adventures in which he triumphed over hordes of savages, killed grizzly bears with his Bowie, and had hairbreadth escapes from forest fires and blizzards and heaven knows what. I asked, was any of it true, and he said: “Bits of it, but just by accident. I never met the fellow who wrote it.”

Years later Flash would read that happening to him, but rather more accurately.

quote:

I imagined his reading it was just a brag, to show how famous he was, but then he told me where he’d come by the book. The previous autumn, he’d been one of a rescue party chasing a band of Jicarillas who had wiped out a small caravan and carried off a Mrs White and her baby; Carson’s folk hadn’t been able to save her life, or the baby’s, although they’d hammered the redsticks handsomely, and afterwards, in the dead woman’s effects, he had come across the novelette. It troubled him.

“If she had read this book,” says he very seriously, “with all these tall tales about me, then when she was carried off and knew I was coming in pursuit, her hopes must have been high that I would perform some miracle and rescue her and her child. Would you think that?”

I said I supposed she might. What then?

“I failed her,” says he, and there were absolute tears in his eyes. “She trusted in me. How bitter her disappointment must have been. My heart is on the ground when I think of that poor lady and her little one, praying for a rescue that I was powerless to perform.”

That was the way he talked, I may say, when he was in what he thought of as educated company. Well, I supposed I was meant to console him, but damned if I knew what to say; I racked my brains trying to think what some true-blue hypocrite like Arnold would have coughed up, and was inspired.

“You didn’t write that book, Kit,” says ministering angel Flashy, “so t’wasn’t your fault if she had false hopes. And if she did – well, as one who’s been in mortal danger of popping his clogs before now, I can tell you it’s a sight better to hope you’re going to escape than to know you’re going to die.” Which is very true, by the way. “Why, a few years ago, my wife was kidnapped by beastly Borneo pirates, and she said later that she was kept alive by her belief that I would save her.”

“And you did?” says he, very attentive.

The temptation to make a brave tale of it was strong, but once again, with those gentle eyes on me, I found myself telling the truth – much more of this little bastard’s company and I’d finish up a Christian. “Ah … well, yes, in a manner of speaking. I got her out of it, all right … but to be fair, she saved us both, in the end.” I told him briefly how we’d hidden in that garden in Antananarivo, and Elspeth hadn’t so much as squeaked when a searcher’s boot had cracked her finger.e

He shook his head in admiration, and says: “Your wife’s a gallant lady. I’d admire to meet her.” There was a questioning look in his eyes which I thought odd, and slightly uncomfortable, so I changed the subject.

“Anyway, the point about Mrs White is that it’s better to die in hope than in despair, don’t you see?”

He considered this for about five minutes, and then said: “Perhaps so. It’s kind of you to say that. Thank you.” Another pause. “Is your wife back in England?”

I said she was, and he nodded and gave me that mild, direct look that I was beginning to find decidedly uncomfortable. “Then we must see you get safe back to her soon,” says he. “She will be grieving at your absence.”

Speaking of living in hope (or not)...

quote:

“She will be grieving at your absence.”

I wasn’t so sure of that myself, but I was mighty glad when in the first week of May – on my twenty-eighth birthday, in fact – we fared north out of Rayado: Carson, a hunter named Goodwin, myself, and a few Mexican arrieros to manage the herd of mules that my companions were taking up to Fort Laramie to sell to the immigrant caravans; from there, Goodwin was heading for California, so I would be sure of a safe convoy to the coast.

That journey north took the best part of a month, for it’s all of five hundred miles to Laramie, even as Carson rode – which was almost as straight as the crow flies – up through the Sangre de Cristo by Pike’s Peak and the South Park, over the high plains to Fort St Vrain, and through the Wyoming Black Hills to Laramie on the North Platte. It was one of the most splendid trips I ever made, for the scenery is lovely beyond description: I think of that marvellous fastness they call the Eagle’s Nest, like a great bowl on the roof of the world, where the air is so clear and pure you want to drink it; the great silent forests, the towering white ramparts of the Rockies far away to the west, the prairie flowers in vast carpets of colour as far as the eye could see, the silver cascades in the deep woods – it was a wild and wondrous land then, untouched by civilisation, a splendid silent solitude that seemed to go on forever.

Best of all, it was safe – not because there weren’t savage tribes and dangerous beasts, but because of the small, stocky figure riding ahead in his faded yellow fringed shirt and fur cap, apparently drinking in the view, but in fact recognising every tuft and tree and mountain peak, sniffing the wind, noting each track and trace and sign; and at nightfall, strolling out of sight and circling the camp before returning, with a placid nod, to settle into his blanket. It occurred to me then that I’d sooner have Carson by himself in this country than the entire Household Brigade; he knew it all, you see, and even asleep he was a more alert sentry than you or I wide awake. I remember one night round the fire, he suddenly lifted his head and remarked that we’d see buffalo tomorrow; we did; and again, riding up a forest trail, he paused and observed that Caleb was up ahead – sure enough, a mile farther on, we spotted an enormous grizzly ambling off among the thickets. How he sensed these things he didn’t seem to know himself; he could foretell weather accurately for two days beforehand, and absolutely smell a human presence up to about fifty yards.

You may ask if a month in the wilds with that great scout taught me much of woodcraft and mountain lore; I can reply with confidence that by the time we reached Fort Laramie, I could deduce by the sight of a broken twig that someone had stepped on it, and when I saw a great pile of dung on the prairie I knew at once that a buffalo had let drive. Beyond that, my ability to read sign was limited, but by talking with Carson and a Sans Arc guide who rode with us, I polished up my Siouxan and became quite fluent, and few of my languages have proved more vital than that one, for it was the lingua franca from Mexico to Canada, and from the Missouri to the Divide, and is so beautiful that I even continued to study it in England. And I guess he taught me a lot about the West without my realising it, for his knowledge was profound, although with remarkable areas of ignorance about the world outside: he had no idea where Japan was, and he’d never heard of Mohammed or geometry; on the other hand, he startled me by quoting at length a poem by some Scotch pessimist, part of which was absolutely in Latin; he’d learned it as a child. I guess that like Sherlock Holmes he knew what he needed to know; he fairly turned me inside out on Mangas Colorado and the Mimbreno, for although he already knew plenty about Apaches, he was avid for any scrap, however trivial, that might add to this store; he even sought my opinion on such minutiae as their consumption of mescal, and the possible meaning of the masks worn in the wedding dance; I had to repeat, three or four times, the conversation with Mangas which I’ve recorded earlier in this memoir, and he would smile and nod agreement.

And we will get more of Carson's views... next time!

Also the reach of the Siouan language is hardly exaggerated.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

So interesting when Flash meets his match with someone. It definitely breaks up the chain of endless mishap and lies. And my god, the descriptions make me want to head out to the old west with a horse.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

poisonpill posted:

And my god, the descriptions make me want to head out to the old west with a horse.
I always got the sense that Fraser went out to the American West to do research for the book and absolutely fell in love with the place. He just had to get it all down on paper, and that's one reason why this is the longest of all the Flashman books.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

poisonpill posted:

So interesting when Flash meets his match with someone. It definitely breaks up the chain of endless mishap and lies. And my god, the descriptions make me want to head out to the old west with a horse.

As someone who lives there now, hope you like interstate and in-fill.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

“Smart Injun,” was his verdict. “Sees a long way, and clear. They’ll go, as the buffalo go, which it will, with all the new folks coming west. I won’t grieve too much for the ’Pash; they have bad hearts, and I wouldn’t trust a one of ’em. Or the Utes. But I can be right sorry for the Plains folk; the world will eat them up. Not in my time, though.”

I observed that the land was so vast, and the Indians so few, that even when it was settled there must surely be abundant space for the tribes; he smiled and shook his head, and said something which has stayed in my head ever since, for it was the plain truth years ahead of its time.

“An Injun needs a powerful heap of room to live in. More than a million white folks.”

In later years I heard many, soldiers mostly, say that Kit Carson was “soft” on Indians, and it’s true, although he probably killed more of them than the cholera, in self-defence or in retribution for raid and murder. The truth is that like most Mountain Men, he was soft on everyone, if dealing amiably and fairly can be called soft; he knew that even the Plains tribes were dishonest and cruel and perverse, just as children are, and so he regarded them, watchfully but with a good deal more affection than they deserved, for my money.

There was no question that they liked him, and those who didn’t still admired and respected him. We must have encountered a score of different bands on their spring hunts, and as we drew closer to Fort Laramie their villages and travelling camps became more frequent, for the fort was the very hub of the Plains and Rockies, as Bent’s had been farther south, a great station for the immigrant trains, and the market where the northern tribes brought their robes and pelts to trade for civilised goods and booze.

I thought I’d seen Plains Indians on the way out from Independence, but they were nothing to the numbers and variety we encountered now; I carry in my mind a series of brilliant pictures from that time – a band of Pawnee hunters, bare-chested and with long trouser-like leggings of blue or red, their skulls shaved bald save for the bristling fringe of scalp-lock like a cock’s comb; Crows in gaudy shirts with war-bonnets so long they trailed to their ponies’ flanks; an Arapaho medicine man, his hair woven in fantastic plaits that stuck out from his head like horns, his arms bleeding with self-inflicted wounds as he walked in a trance, followed by a group waving long beribboned sticks as they chanted an incantation; Black-feet warriors with lances strung with coloured feathers, little targes on their arms, skin caps on their heads, and as many as twenty strings of beads about their necks, for all the world like hawk-nosed dowagers sporting their pearls; Shoshoni, whom I remember for their ugly faces, and their great bearskin robes with the muzzles still attached as hoods; Foxes, with huge beaded earrings and weird designs painted on their backs and breasts; and everywhere, it seemed, swarms of Sioux in all their various clans, which Carson seemed to recognise at sight; one big band of them rode with us for the best part of a day, and a nervous business I found it, with as many as a hundred of the tall, copper-coloured brutes surrounding us, their faces streaked with paint beneath the short-feathered crowns, stripped to their breech-clouts in the sweltering summer sun, guns at their saddle-bows and lances at rest; they bore a name which was to become fearsome on the North Plains: Oglala. But best of all I have a memory of a long line of braves, wrapped in blankets, feathers slanting down from their long braided hair, riding slowly along a skyline at sunset, looking neither right nor left, dignified as grandees on their way to audience at the Escurial – my old acquaintances, the Cheyenne.

Not just good at painting landscapes, this man.

quote:

None of ’em offered us the slightest offence – though whether they’d have been as amiable if Carson hadn’t been along, I don’t care to think, for I gathered from him that there was a great discontent beginning to brew among them. They’d been trading about Laramie for years, peaceful enough, but after the cholera of the previous summer, which they blamed, rightly enough, on the immigrants, they were casting dark looks at the trains that came pouring westward in this summer of ’50. Before 1849 there had been wagons enough on the trails, but nothing to the multitude that now followed the gold strike. I’ve been told that more than 100,000 pioneers crossed the plains in ’50; from what I saw myself at Laramie and westward it was just a continuous procession – and I would say that was the year the Plains tribes realized for the first time that here was the rising of a white tide that was going to engulf their land – and their life.

You see, before ’49, if you were a Crow or an Arapaho or a Cheyenne, you might sit on a ridge and watch the schooners crawl across the empty prairie, one at a time, perhaps only a solitary train in a week. You might trade with it, or take a slap at it for devilment, to run off a few horses, but mostly you’d leave it alone, since it was doing no harm, apart from reducing the grazing along the North Platte or the Arkansas, and thinning the game a little. But the Indian just had to turn his back and ride a few miles to be in clear country which the caravans never touched, the bison herds ran free, and game abounded. There was still plenty for everyone.

It was different after ’49. A hundred thousand folk need a power of meat and wood and fodder; they must forage wide on either side of the trail, in what to them is virgin country, and wreak havoc among the buffalo and smaller game; they must strip the grazing to its roots – and it ain’t in human nature for them to think, in all that vastness, what it may mean for those few figures sitting on the ridge over yonder (who are thieving, dangerous rascals anyway). But if you are those figures, Crow or Arapaho or Cheyenne, watching the torrent that was once a trickle, seeing it despoil the Plains on which you depend for life, and guess that it’s going to get bigger by the year, and that what was once a novelty is now a menace – what d’you do? Precisely what the squire in his Leicestershire acres, or his New England meadow, would do if crowds of noisy, selfish foreigners began to trek through ruining the place. Remonstrate – and when that don’t work, because the intruders can’t see what damage they’re doing, and don’t care anyway – what d’you do then? I’ll tell you; Leicestershire squire, New England farmer, Cheyenne Dog-Soldier or Kiowa Horse-Cap, you see that there’s only one thing for it: you put your paint on.

But in that summer of ’50 the tribes were still just at the fretting stage, wondering if they might not have to do something serious about this invasion eventually; when they hammered a caravan occasionally, it was more for fun than policy. As I’ve said, they were friendly enough to our party, and the last day before we reached Laramie a party of Sioux even invited us to share the feast they were making after a successful buffalo hunt; we’d passed them in the morning as they were skinning the carcases and lighting their fires, and Carson, who stopped off to talk with them, came up presently and says with his quiet smile:

“Injun back there claims to recognise you. Says you shared a hump with him last summer over to Council Grove, and he’d like to repay the hospitality. Spotted Tail – know him?”

I remembered that evil-looking trio who had made themselves free of our meat the day I’d shot my first buffalo with Wootton. With Carson on hand I didn’t mind renewing the acquaintance, and sure enough it was the same six-foot handsome spectre with the coonskin headgear, bloody to the elbows among the slaughtered game but grinning all over his wicked hawk face; he shook my hand and growled greetings, and presently we sat round, our half-dozen among twenty Brulé warriors, gorging ourselves on the freshly-roasted meat. I sat by Spotted Tail, exchanging civilities in my newly-acquired Siouxan – Wootton had never named me to him evidently, and I was ill-advised enough to tell him my Apache handle of Wind Breaker, which he said solemnly was a brave and creditable one. I expressed my appreciation of the grub in Sioux and English, and since it was a new phrase to him he took pains to repeat it several times, croaking with laughter: “Joll-ee good! Joll-ee good!”

And here comes one more great introduction:

quote:

He had his nephew with him on the hunt, a pale, bright-eyed skinny little shaver who couldn’t have been above five or six years old, and was unique among all the Indians I ever saw, for his hair was almost fair. He sat very quiet among the feasters, and looked askance whenever anyone caught his eye. I found him watching me once and winked at him; he started like a rabbit, but a minute later our eyes met and he tried to wink back, shyly, but couldn’t close one eye without shutting the other, and when I laughed and winked again he giggled and covered his face. Spotted Tail growled at him to be still and mind what he was about, and the child whispered something which made his neighbours roar with laughter, at which Spotted Tail snapped at him threateningly. I asked what the boy had said, and Spotted Tail told me, glowering at the infant:

“Forgive the impudence of my sister’s graceless son. He asks if the big white man is sick, that he cannot keep one eye open.”

“Tell him that winking is a great medicine,” says I, “which will be useful to him when he grows older and meets girls, and if he can learn how to do it I’ll give him a ride on my pony.”

They all guffawed again at this, and some of the Brulé braves called out to the boy, making fun of him – but when we came to take our leave, bursting with buffalo meat, there the little devil was, standing at my pony’s head, with one eye clamped desperately shut and the other one watering with his effort to keep it open. Spotted Tail would have cuffed him, for while they are uncommonly indulgent of children, they have a fine sense of courtesy to guests, but I picked him up and planted him on my saddle, and the little tyke sat there like a pea on a drum, scared stiff but determined not to show it. I led him about a little, and he clung tight, squeaking with excitement to go faster, so I swung up behind and gave him a canter; I can still hear his shrill laughter, and see his fair hair blowing as we swept along. When he was all out of breath I passed him down to Spotted Tail and asked his name; Spotted Tail tossed him in the air and caught him, squealing.

“Little Curly White Hair,” says he, slapping the infant’s rump.

“Well, he’ll be a great horseman and warrior some day,” says I, and as we took our leave the imp perched on his uncle’s shoulder and waved after us, his little voice piping in the wind.

“You made a friend there,” says Carson.

“Who, the kid?”

“No, Spotted Tail. He values that boy – the father’s a big medicine man among the Oglala. Come to that, Spotted Tail’s a pretty big man among the Brulé, in all the Sioux councils. Handy friend to have, if ever you chance back this way.”

Since I had no intention of ever setting foot in that awful wilderness again, I didn’t pay much mind – but of course he was right, as usual. If I hadn’t pleased Spotted Tail that day, by playing with the kid … who knows? I might have been spared a heap of trouble – or I might be dead by now. You can never tell where small boys are concerned; they may grow up to be your best friend – and your worst enemy.

We'll be seeing that one again much later, and will be wrapping up this age of the story... next time.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

We came to Fort Laramie next day, through a sea of prairie schooners and immigrant tents and Army horse lines and Indian lodges, all clustered for a couple of miles round the great adobe stockade by the Platte; there were caravans coming in and caravans leaving, traders white and Indian hawking their wares, dragoons drilling beneath the walls, and such a Babel as I hadn’t seen since Santa Fe or Independence. When word spread that Carson had arrived there was such a press of folk to see the great man that it was only with difficulty that we got our mules to the corral, and while Goodwin began the bargaining with teamsters from the trains, Kit and I went off to the post kitchen, ostensibly to see about grub, but in fact so that Carson could get out of the public eye – he hated to be stared at, especially because, as he told me in a rare burst of confidence, people were so disappointed because he wasn’t twenty feet tall.

We had an amusing illustration of that as we sat outside the kitchen, drinking coffee and talking to one or two of Carson’s mountain acquaintances; there was a great press of folk about, and through them comes this big, grizzled Arkansas hayseed, bawling:

“I hear Kit Carson’s hereabouts! Lemme see him – I want to shake his hand! I do that! What’s he at, then?”

I heard Carson sigh, as someone pointed him out, and then the hayseed comes stumping across, frowning, and stands in front of him, scratching his head in bewilderment.

“Mister,” says he, doubtfully. “You Kit Carson?”

Carson looked up at him with his customary mild expression and nodded. The hayseed stared dumbfounded.

“The Kit Carson? The … the scout, an’ all?”

Kit just looked at him, embarrassed, almost apologetic in fact, and the hayseed shook his head.

“I don’t believe it! You … you ain’t tellin’ me yore him! No, mister – you ain’t Kit Carson for me!”

This bit's great.

quote:

Kit sighed again, and then glanced at me. Now, while he was in his usual old buckshkins, I was in the full prairie fig that Maxwell had given me, fringed beaded jacket and breeches and wideawake hat, with a Colt on my rump and a Bowie in my boot, and as you know I’m six feet odd and stalwart with it; you never saw such an image of a prairie hero in your life. Carson smiled, looked at the Arkansas boy, and gave an almost imperceptible nod in my direction. The hayseed swung round to me, and a huge beam of joy broke over his ruddy countenance as he looked me up and down.

“Now, that’s more like it!” cries he, and I found my hand crushed in his huge grip. “Say, have I bin waitin’ to see you, Kit! My, wait till I tell the folks ’bout this – why, sir, it’s an honner! ’Deed it is! Kit Carson! So, now – thank’ee kindly, an’ God bless you!”

There were absolute tears in the great clown’s eyes as he turned away, glanced at Carson, growls: “Kit Carson? Huh!”, tipped his hat to me with another broad grin, and strode off. The mountain boys held on to each other laughing, and I wasn’t any too pleased, but Carson gave me his slantendicular smile and shrugged. “You look a heap more like me than I do, Harry,” says he. He was right of course; I did.

I’d no cause to complain, though, of the pains he took to secure me a safe passage to the coast: Goodwin was travelling up to the Yellowstone before heading west, but knowing I wanted to lose no time, Carson put it about that a friend of his wanted to work his way to the coast as a hunter – and such was the magic of his name that the wagon-captains whose trains were resting at Laramie fairly fought for my services. Fifty dollars a month, I was offered, and all found, which was no small thing since the cash I’d raised on Cleonie had vanished mysteriously among the Apaches, and I hadn’t a bean towards my sea-passage. Carson chose a big, well-found train of sixty schooners, and put in a special word for me.

“Harry Flashman’s a good man on the trail,” says he. “Been down among the ’Pash, and in the British Army. Good shot.” The wagon-captain damned near pumped my hand off, and I heard him bragging to his mates that he’d got “one o’ Kit Carson’s boys.”

Now, when I added this to all the favours Carson had done me, I found it middling odd. Granted he was a generous, open-handed rear end who’d rather do anyone a good turn than not; still, I guessed for all his kindness that he’d never cottoned to me, let alone liked me, so why was he being so deuced considerate?

I’m always leery of favours which I don’t deserve, so when Carson left Laramie a day or so before my caravan was due to start, I rode out a few miles with him on his way, and fished for an explanation at parting. I thanked him again for saving my life, entertaining me at Rayado, convoying me north, and recommending me, and hinted that on the last score at least he’d been saying more than he really knew.

“No,” says he, after some reflection. “I saw you shoot pretty good on the way north. You ride like a Cumanche, too.”

“Even so,” says I, “you’ve been more than generous – to a complete stranger.”

He went into another of his pensive broods, his eyes on the trail ahead where his arrieros were riding down to the woods; we were alone on the little ridge. At last he says:

“You’re going back to your wife in England. That lady in Santa Fe – she wouldn’t be your wife?”

And one more scare for good measure.

quote:

I nearly fell out of my saddle. How the hell had he heard about Susie? I gaped at him, and regained my wits. “Good lord, no! That’s a … a woman I met in the East – we were companions, don’t you know … er … who … told you about her?”

“Dick Wootton,” says he, perfectly mild. “I saw him in Santa Fe after we picked you up – while you were sick, at Vegas. He chanced to mention how he’d come west with an English fellow named Comber, last summer; from Dick’s description, this fellow sounded pretty like you. So I was astonished when I saw you at Vegas and you told me you were called Flashman. Different name, you see.”

“Ah … well, you see … it’s a long story—”

“I’m not asking,” says he gently, still looking down the trail. “Just telling. Dick told me this Comber fellow ran away from his wife – that was what Dick called her – in Santa Fe. But I didn’t mention you to Dick. Not my business.”

“Well, by jove, Kit, I’m most obliged to you – but honestly, I can explain—”

“Don’t have to.” He frowned at the distance, and sighed. “Dick said he figured – I’m telling you just what he said – that this fellow Comber might be on the run; Dick had a feeling there was a price on his head back east, maybe. Wasn’t sure, of course … just a feeling, you understand.”

My blood was suddenly frozen, and my laugh must have sounded like a death-knell. “Good God!” cries I. “What an extraordinary notion, to be sure! Why should he think … I mean … whoever this chap was … well, there are other Englishmen …” It was no use: I tailed off lamely as the mild eyes turned to consider me, and his voice was quiet as ever.

“Dick told me this Comber was a good wagon-captain … kind of green, in some ways, but he got the train through. Spoke with a straight tongue to the sick Cheyenne, too. Did pretty well at Bent’s when the Big Lodge blew up.” He paused. “Dick said, whatever this Comber was, or had done … he liked him.” Another long pause. “I value Dick’s opinion.”

I’ve had some strange testimonials in my time, including the Victoria Cross, a pardon from Abraham Lincoln, Sale’s ludicrous report from Jallalabad, Wellington’s handshake, the thanks of Parliament, a pat on the back from Rajah Brooke, and ecstatic sobs from all sorts of women – but I’m rather partial to the memory of Kit Carson telling me what a white man I was. God, he was gullible – no, he wasn’t either, for he’d figured me for a scoundrel, right enough; his only mistake was in accepting the simpleton Wootton’s estimate that I was a brave scoundrel. That was enough for little Kit; it didn’t matter what else I’d done … running out on women, using assumed names, committing God knew what crimes back East. I’d got the train through.

It’s a remarkable thing (and I’ve traded on it all my life) that a single redeeming quality in a black sheep wins greater esteem than all the virtues in honest men – especially if the quality is courage. I’m lucky, because while I don’t have it, I look as though I do, and worthy souls like Carson and Wootton never suspect that I’m running around with my bowels squirting, ready to decamp, squeal, or betray as occasion demands. And in their kindly ignorance, they give me a helping hand, as Carson had done – he’d also given me a damned nasty start for a moment; my nerves were still tingling.

“Ah, well,” says I, trying to sound hearty. “He’s a good chap, is Uncle Dick.”

“Wah!” says he, and had another consider to himself. “Safe home, then.” A final pause. “If you chance back thisaway, give me a hollo.”

“I shan’t be coming back,” says I, and by George, I meant it.

He nodded, lifted a hand slightly, and turned his pony down the trail. I watched him out of sight, the small buckskin figure fading into the trees, and while I felt nothing but relief at the time (for the Kit Carsons of this world and I don’t ride easy together) what sticks in my mind now is how easy and natural it was to part and go your ways on the old frontier, without ceremony or farewell. It was almost a superstition, I suppose: no one ever said good-bye.

Two days later our caravan started west for the South Pass, and I rode out that morning in a great contentment, as though I were coming to the end of a long trek – which was odd, with more than a thousand miles of prairie and salt desert and Rocky Mountain to cross to the coast, and long sea-leagues beyond that to England. But you know how it is – sometimes you know that a chapter is closing, as surely as though you were shutting a door behind you. As I swung aboard the little Arab, and heard the cry of “All set!” echoing down the wagon line, and heard the whips crack and the teamsters yell and the wheels groan forward – I knew I was nearing the end of that frightful journey which had begun when John Charity Spring strode into my hotel room at Poole and started raving in Latin; a journey that had carried me to the wilds of Dahomey and skirmishes with great black-titted females, through chases and sea-battles to New Orleans and desperate flights and escapes on the Mississippi, from brothels to plantations to slave-marts to that homely front-hall where I’d quaked and bled while an ugly, gangling young lawyer stuck his chin out and braved my ruffianly pursuers; and since then I’d rogered my way out of the law’s clutches, across the prairies to the terrors of Bent’s Fort and the Del Norte and the Dead Man’s Journey … but it was all past and done with, and soon I would be taking ship for home. And Elspeth and soft beds and green fields and strolls down the Haymarket and white whores for a change and cricket and rides in the Park and hunting and decent cigars and conversation and everything that makes life worth living. By gum, I’d earned it.

And as for their damned redskins and prairie wagons and buckskins and bear’s grease and painted faces and buffalo grass and sweat-baths and plug-a-plew and war-whoops and Mountain Men – well, they could keep ’em all for me.

They did.

'As I swung aboard the little Arab...' It lived! The horse lived! Hoorah!

And that brings us to the end of part one. Desperate escapes and many fascinating encounters, were had, along with the most starry eyed adoration of a landscape ever put to paper.

Now that we're halfway through, what do you think about the book so far?

mothlane
Apr 15, 2009
I once read something like 100 pages of a novel before it dawned on me that I'd already read it. Flashman books would be the complete opposite where, especially with the well-chosen excerpts you've put together, long strings of sentences have stayed with me and I recall almost verbatim, though it's been maybe 15 years since I read them.

I'm native New Zealand maori and where we've obtained a constructive coexistence with our English colonists, the impending future (from the novels point of view) of American Indian races is sad and distressing to say the least. I remember the upcoming in part two tribal negotiations as especially aggravating and we know Harry well enough by this stage to understand he thinks they really are a dignified people and very hard done by.

Hope this response encourages you! I use the 'awful' app, and new Flashman posts I always save until I'm sitting somewhere comfy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah this is highly entertaining. I love the vividness of his description.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Arbite posted:

'As I swung aboard the little Arab...' It lived! The horse lived! Hoorah!

Hooray! Best horse.

This isn't one I've read before, so it's been interesting reading.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

It’s only when you’ve grown old that you begin to see that life doesn’t run in a straight line; that you can never be sure a chapter is finished, and that half a century may lie between cause and final effect. Why, I met Lola Montez and Bismarck in ’42, bedding one and belittling t’other, and thought that was that – and five years later they popped up to give me the scare of my life. And I thought I’d seen the last of Tiger Jack Moran after Rorke’s Drift – but, damme, he came back to haunt my old age and almost had me indicted for murder. No, you never can tell when the past is going to catch up, especially a past as dirty as mine.

So it was with the old West. I left it on a summer’s day in ’50, vowing never to return, and twenty-five years later, when the old memories had faded, back it came with a vengeance – and that word is well-chosen, as you’ll see.

I blame Elspeth entirely. Having the brain of a backward hen, it had taken her until middle age to discover the delights of luxurious globe-trotting, and since by then old Morrison’s ill-gotten pile had swollen prodigiously, she was able to indulge her wanderlust to the full. As often as not I went along, for after thirty years of travelling rough I didn’t mind being wafted about in style, from steamer stateroom to hotel Pullman, and stopping at the best pubs on the way; another reason was that I didn’t trust the little trollop an inch, for Elspeth at fifty was every bit as beddable as she’d been at sixteen, and had lost none of her ardour. The Bond Street salons and swarms of effete Frog hairdressers kept that corn-gold hair as lustrous as ever, her milky-pink complexion bloomed like a country girl’s, and if she’d added a stone to her figure it was all to the good and well-placed. In fact, she continued to draw men like flies to a jam-pot, and while in thirty years I’d never absolutely caught her in flagrante, there were a dozen at least I suspected her of slapping the mattress with, including that pop-eyed lecher Cardigan and H. R. H. Bertie the Bounder. So I wasn’t having her panting with Alpine guides and sweaty gondoliers while I idled at home on half-pay; I preferred to keep her in trim myself and discourage foreign attentions. I loved her, you see.

Most of her jaunts were close to home, at first – Black Forest, Pyrenees, Italian lakes, the Holy Land and Pyramids, and endless piles of Greek rubble dignified by antiquity, for which she had a remarkable appetite, sketching away execrably under a parasol and misquoting Byron while her maid scampered back to the hotel for fresh crayons and I loafed impatiently, wishing I might slip down to the native quarter for some vicious amusement among the local wildlife. And then one winter’s day early in ’75 she remarked idly that I’d never shown her North America.

So now we jump twenty-five years forward and it's as graceful a leap as you would expect from Fraser.

quote:

“Neither I have,” says I. “Well, there’s a lot of it, you know. Difficult to take in, and it’s a long way.”

“I should so love to visit it,” says she, with that faraway imbecile expression that comes of studying engravings in the Illustrated London News, “to venture forth into the New World with its scenic grandeurs and huntsmen in picturesque garb, and the unspoiled savages and the cowboys with their coyotes and lariats,” she babbled on, sighing, “and the Tremont Hotel of Boston is said to be quite superior, while the Society of New England is reputed most select, and there are all those battle-fields with peculiar names where you were so brave which I long to have you show me. The price of passage is also extremely reasonable and—”

“Hold on, though,” says I, for I could see the cricket season vanishing. “It’s farther than you’ve ventured before, you know – except for Singapore and Borneo – and you didn’t care for that. Or Madagascar. Well, America’s pretty wild, too.”

“Why, I cared extremely for Borneo and Madagascar, Harry! The voyage was ever so jolly, and the climate agreed with me perfectly.”

“And being kidnapped by pirates, and chased for our lives by enormous n****** – you enjoyed those, did you?”

“Some of the people were disagreeable, true, but others were most amiable,” says she, and I knew from her complacent sigh that she was fondly recalling all the randy villains who’d ogled her in her sarong. “Besides,” she went on, glowing, “that was an adventure – do you know, I never was so happy as when we fled through the forest, you and I – and you fought for me, and were so strong, and took such good care of me, and … and …” Her great blue eyes filled with tears, and she pressed my hand, and I felt a sudden odd yearning for her, which was rapidly dispelled as she went on: “In any event, America cannot be as barbarous as Madagascar, and since you have the acquaintance of the President and other persons of consequence, we are sure to have the entrée, especially with our money. Oh, Harry, my heart is set on it, and it will be such fun! Please say you’ll take me!”

She does know how to work him.

quote:

Since she had already bought the tickets, that was how we came to be at Phil Sheridan’s wedding in Chicago a few months later, and there, with a startling coincidence, began the bewildering chain of events which completed the story that I have told you in this memoir so far. (At least, I hope to God it’s complete at last.) Not all that happened in ’49 has a bearing on what I’m about to tell, for life’s like that, but much of it did. I can safely say that had it not been for my odyssey which began in Orleans and ended at Fort Laramie in ’50, the history of the West would have been different. George Custer might still be boring ’em stiff at the Century Club, Reno wouldn’t have drunk himself to death, a host of Indians and cavalrymen would probably have lived longer, and I’d have been spared a supreme terror as well as a … no, I shan’t call it a heartbreak, for my old pump is too calloused an article to break. But it can feel a twist, even now, when I look back and see that lone rider silhouetted against the skyline at sunset, with the faint eerie whistle of Garryowen drifting down the wind, and when I had rubbed the mist from my eyes, it was gone.

It was sheer chance we were at Sheridan’s wedding. Despite my loved one’s expressed enthusiasm for scenic grandeur and huntsmen in picturesque garb, she’d been content to spend the first months poodle-faking with the smart set in Boston and New York, wallowing at the Tremont and Delmonico’s, and spending money like a rajah in Mayfair. Society, or what passes for it over there, had naturally opened its arms to the beauteous Lady Flashman and her distinguished husband, and we might have been racing and dining and water-partying yet if Little Phil hadn’t got word of my presence, and insisted that we come to Chicago to see him jump off the cart-tail. I’d known him for a good sort in the Civil War, and met him again during the Franco-Prussian nonsense, so to Chicago we went.

And the names will be dropped fast & furious real soon, or should I say... next time!

Arbite fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Duplicated paragraphs there.