Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

IIRC in that particular incident they also put some of the blame on NOTAM fatigue -- the runway closure being buried below five hundred NOTAMs about 200 foot cranes and above the ones warning against overflights of Syria -- which is something I think every pilot in America has griped about at some point.

Yes. I may be reading a bit too much into it but they also blame not tuning the ILS which was company policy in night visual approaches (and usually done automatically by the FMS, but isn’t when a visual approach is selected) and then “ineffective crew resource management”. It is of course all NTSB neutral language but I kinda feel like they’re throwing the FO a bit under the bus as the pilot monitoring. (They also notes that he called a go around at the same time the capt was starting to apply TOGA thrust)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

IIRC in that particular incident they also put some of the blame on NOTAM fatigue -- the runway closure being buried below five hundred NOTAMs about 200 foot cranes and above the ones warning against overflights of Syria -- which is something I think every pilot in America has griped about at some point.

I had to print out the NOTAM's for my flight test...31 pages worth. None of it relevant.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that this incident? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLEGir9lzBo

For an industry that's all about eliminate systemic safety issues, you'd think they would figure out how to avoid flooding pilots with irrelevant information that will only distract from the actual threats.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that this incident? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLEGir9lzBo

For an industry that's all about eliminate systemic safety issues, you'd think they would figure out how to avoid flooding pilots with irrelevant information that will only distract from the actual threats.

The industry is regulated by government agencies that are all about eliminating any potential work that they have to do. It isn’t until blood gets spilled that actual change happens, and sometimes not even then.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If at first you don't succeed, continue failing until you finally manage to kill someone:

https://twitter.com/Mega_Pixls/status/1523001738546286592

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dassault Commode

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If at first you don't succeed, continue failing until you finally manage to kill someone:

https://twitter.com/mega_pixls/status/1523001742853820417?s=21&t=dxIb-Yxg-J584TxUH_xeEQ

https://twitter.com/mega_pixls/status/1523001742853820417?s=21&t=dxIb-Yxg-J584TxUH_xeEQ

https://twitter.com/mega_pixls/status/1523001745550753792?s=21&t=ojyEqYfB2_fQ2RS1FHSb-A

How does someone like this get an instrument rating? Lied about needing ADHD medicine or something?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The culture of anti-buddy-fucker/snitches get stitches that exists in large parts of US society. Big in military but it's a all over the place. I have a minor reputation as an executioner at work because I report people who are unsalvageable and it's closed some doors for me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

The culture of anti-buddy-fucker/snitches get stitches that exists in large parts of US society. Big in military but it's a all over the place. I have a minor reputation as an executioner at work because I report people who are unsalvageable and it's closed some doors for me.

Gravity doesn’t care though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Midjack posted:

You know that expression about the holes in the cheese lining up? Due to that culture you mention, those holes are being vigorously probed and stabbed at by some small but significant number of unsuited pilots, and the line-ups will all be found if we can't fix the culture.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The part of this story that's always struck me as darkly funny is that shortly after the former Mesa pilot killed three people in one of their 767's, Amazon decided Mesa needed 737's as a reward for the great job they'd done with that guy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does there happen to be a biz jet that’s notorious for having a high-pitched whine?

I’m at my parents near Louisville and the Kentucky Derby was yesterday so a billion little jets were in town. Last night I heard something overhead that felt like a smaller jet from the normal turbine noise but there was also a very loud whistling/whining noise. Overcast so I didn’t see anything. Could have just as easily been a ragged UPS 737 for all I know (Louisville is a hub) but I wondered if that was a known issue for one of those smaller planes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smaller turbines tend to have a more piercing sound, and older designs are definitely louder than new ones. Maybe just someone's vintage Learjet.

The only business "jet" I can think of that has a truly distinctive sound is the Piaggio Avanti. It is noticeably high pitched and louder than similar more conventional planes. It's a turboprop, but if you're not totally sure it was a jet, and you were surrounded by rich folks flying in, it could certainly have been one of those.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 8, 2022

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

Smaller turbines tend to have a more piercing sound, and older designs are definitely louder than new ones. Maybe just someone's vintage Learjet.

The only business "jet" I can think of that has a truly distinctive sound is the Piaggio Avanti. It is noticeably high pitched and louder than similar more conventional planes. It's a turboprop, but if you're not totally sure it was a jet, and you were surrounded by rich folks flying in, it could certainly have been one of those.

No, definitely not a turboprop. Probably just an older biz jet then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

david_a posted:

No, definitely not a turboprop. Probably just an older biz jet then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe8lQ6kfhwY

?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

david_a posted:

Does there happen to be a biz jet that’s notorious for having a high-pitched whine?

I’m at my parents near Louisville and the Kentucky Derby was yesterday so a billion little jets were in town. Last night I heard something overhead that felt like a smaller jet from the normal turbine noise but there was also a very loud whistling/whining noise. Overcast so I didn’t see anything. Could have just as easily been a ragged UPS 737 for all I know (Louisville is a hub) but I wondered if that was a known issue for one of those smaller planes.

I realize it's not helping you now, but I'd put ADSB exchange on your phone. it's just a wrapper around the webpage but it works really well at "wtf just flew over me"

the whiniest bizjet I've personally heard and remembered enough to look up was a Falcon 2000, but I think it's much more a factor of turbine size than Dassault having it out for my ears personally.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Psion posted:

I realize it's not helping you now, but I'd put ADSB exchange on your phone. it's just a wrapper around the webpage but it works really well at "wtf just flew over me"

FlightTracker24 is my go-to mostly for the AR mode, which can be handy when you’re trying to pick an individual airplane out at a distance in congested terminal airspace.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

david_a posted:

I never thought I'd be in a position to ask anyone this: is the Kentucky Derby still decadent and depraved?

Also I've learned things from the SE-116 Voltigeur:

1. Post World War 2, France considered building a flying boat airliner; but unlike Saunders-Roe, they built a model first. The French then - I'm not really sure what the French say to approximate "meh" or similar - but they said that and the project was abandoned.

It was smol

2. I don't think the idea of a basic skyjeep for COIN is bad. I think a STOL airplane (like the DH Buffalo) might be able to supplement helicopters, at least historically. But the SE-115 got dirt road-ed by the fact that those sorts of general purpose aircraft can have a lot of substitutes, especially if it is the late 1950s and WW2/postwar aircraft are cheap as chips. The fact that it got replaced with American aircraft first by the French, and then the Americans used the same aircraft in the same war made it a tough sell. The fact that France ran out of money, also a negative.

3. I knew France produced Ju 52s, but they also produced Fi 156 Storchs, renaming them Crickets?

4. Grognard:

The thing that looks like a caduceus is this NATO symbol:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

The thing that looks like a caduceus is this NATO symbol:

Looks like it's about to Burninate the countryside

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Posting from the back of the bus on a 737 max. Could be better; could be worse.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

On the FR24 app you can playback the last 7 days with their free level of account.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Full Collapse posted:

Posting from the back of the bus on a 737 max. Could be better; could be worse.

I can assure you that in the current lineup of in service transport category passenger aircraft, it could not in fact, be worse.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

e.pilot posted:

I can assure you that in the current lineup of in service transport category passenger aircraft, it could not in fact, be worse.
Having spent more time than I like to think in the back of a CRJ-200, I must respectfully dissent. In production aircraft, perhaps?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Dash 8 is still in production limbo, so that might count.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

e.pilot posted:

Dash-8, sitting inline with the props, with an inop active noise cancellation system.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nebakenezzer posted:

I never thought I'd be in a position to ask anyone this: is the Kentucky Derby still decadent and depraved?

Trump unexpectedly showed up for a $75,000 per person fundraiser dinner, so yes

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Crossposting with the A/T aviation thread in case anyone has some suggestions:

Does anyone have or know of a good LED penlight with a red LED/lens? I've been using a Streamlight Stylus Pro for years and it's fantastic for daytime use but they don't make a red light one. There are plenty of chonky "tactical" red flashlights but I'm specifically looking for that penlight form factor. I'm about ready to get another Streamlight and some red nail polish to paint on the lens.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Hotel room has a good view. :v:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

St_Ides posted:

On the FR24 app you can playback the last 7 days with their free level of account.

Using this feature with vaguely when I think I heard it, the only plane going in the right direction was a Southwest 737. I guess it felt like being whiny that day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Full Collapse posted:

Hotel room has a good view. :v:

I spent a loooooooooooooot of time on that ramp.

My favorite was when Atlantic would fill a contract for Amerijet, and a beat to absolute poo poo and put away wet DC-3 would taxi up to cargo city and load in between 727s, A300s, and 767s. It loving ruled.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Having spent more time than I like to think in the back of a CRJ-200, I must respectfully dissent. In production aircraft, perhaps?

You’ll never do a transcon in a CRJ200

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Crossposting with the A/T aviation thread in case anyone has some suggestions:

Does anyone have or know of a good LED penlight with a red LED/lens? I've been using a Streamlight Stylus Pro for years and it's fantastic for daytime use but they don't make a red light one. There are plenty of chonky "tactical" red flashlights but I'm specifically looking for that penlight form factor. I'm about ready to get another Streamlight and some red nail polish to paint on the lens.

Use some red cling film on the lens of a Streamlight?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When I needed a red flashlight for astronomy, I ordered like six of them from AliExpress and put all but my favorite in a drawer.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Use some red cling film on the lens of a Streamlight?

Somewhere a lighting efficiency engineer is laughing/crying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The light you get out of a gelled white light and a truly monochromatic LED is quite different. There are pros and cons to each.

And also, red light isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be for preserving night vision, but it’s impolite to use white lights at public astronomy events regardless.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

When I needed a red flashlight for astronomy, I ordered like six of them from AliExpress and put all but my favorite in a drawer.

I bought a red filter for an ordinary flashlight.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

Somewhere, a monkey's paw just curled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrYenko posted:

FlightTracker24 is my go-to mostly for the AR mode, which can be handy when you’re trying to pick an individual airplane out at a distance in congested terminal airspace.

Whoa, I didn't know this had an AR mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

I've done YYC-IAH in a CRJ-900 or so, it's not transcon but I promise you it's worse than a 737.