Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are some typos in the text of Grandia as I recall, but its pretty good all around. Never once did I lose the story or not know where to go.

I'm just not a huge fan of the story and the game is like 20% too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi I'm still playing Stella Glow and just got through chapter 3 and wow Nonoka is just terrible and I hate that she is definitely going to be very useful in battles.

I played the demo of that as part of my ongoing 3DS exploration, and I kind of enjoyed the gameplay despite being a big baby when it comes to tactics games like Fire Emblem. However, the point at which the demo ends (when your village is wrecked and you're conscripted into the royal army) might as well have involved a giant banner reading "it's about to go Full Waifu up in here". How waifu-y does it get beyond that point?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
grandia's tl is, fine, for a ps1 game tl. but. it is in fact still a little jank and could use another editing pass. it's better than it could be but it's still a pretty cheap and rushed tl of a pretty cheap and rushed ps1 port. not what i'd put first on a list of ps1 games that need retls but i don't think the idea of it getting one would exactly be horrible, that was a weird era for game localization and even ones people recognize as outstanding like skies of arcadia made some weird choices you could say go a bit far

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's better than you'd expect from "Ubisoft translates a JRPG in the 90s" but totally fine for what it is

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Genuine question, what way do you want 4 to play like 2? Because I felt like the only real improvement over 2 was that the post-ReMind patch combat was more fluid than 2 ever was even if the campaign was way worse.

The Drive forms were good and pretty simple. Get EXP by hitting heartless in this form, nobodies in this one, using magic, getting drive orbs, finishers, etc. It'd be nice to have something that sticks with you, even while you keep swapping out Keyblades throughout the game.

I didn't know that ReMind fixed things that much, I never bought the DLC.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi I'm still playing Stella Glow and just got through chapter 3 and wow Nonoka is just terrible and I hate that she is definitely going to be very useful in battles.

Go through her events up until Control Condition and her status effects are 100% effective, which makes her one of the best units in the game. She's pretty much a one-note joke though, yeah.

C-Euro posted:

I played the demo of that as part of my ongoing 3DS exploration, and I kind of enjoyed the gameplay despite being a big baby when it comes to tactics games like Fire Emblem. However, the point at which the demo ends (when your village is wrecked and you're conscripted into the royal army) might as well have involved a giant banner reading "it's about to go Full Waifu up in here". How waifu-y does it get beyond that point?

Man, what does this even mean? Use your words.

If you're asking "is it a harem story" or "is romance central to things," not really. There's multiple female characters and bonding events and some of those characters are interested in the main character, and you can pick one character to have an ending with at the end (anyone whose events you've finished). But romance is pretty background in the character stories. The girl who adopted the main character into her family does have a thing for him, and that's addressed in the main story, but other people don't spend a lot of time talking about it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

The Drive forms were good and pretty simple. Get EXP by hitting heartless in this form, nobodies in this one, using magic, getting drive orbs, finishers, etc. It'd be nice to have something that sticks with you, even while you keep swapping out Keyblades throughout the game.

I didn't know that ReMind fixed things that much, I never bought the DLC.

I call it the “ReMind patch” but that’s a little inaccurate, it’s more like a gameplay patch they made to coincide with ReMind so that Sora controls well enough to not get wasted by the super duper ultra hard postgame bosses (along with a few other things like Oathkeeper/Oblivion and some postgame/NG+ skills), not specifically a quality of life thing you have to buy.

But yeah, I would disagree on KH2 Drive forms being “simple” in practice but would love to see something like skills attached to keyblades you unlock Final Fantasy VII Remake-style to incentivize changing things up.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Colonel posted:

grandia's tl is, fine, for a ps1 game tl. but. it is in fact still a little jank and could use another editing pass. it's better than it could be but it's still a pretty cheap and rushed tl of a pretty cheap and rushed ps1 port. not what i'd put first on a list of ps1 games that need retls but i don't think the idea of it getting one would exactly be horrible, that was a weird era for game localization and even ones people recognize as outstanding like skies of arcadia made some weird choices you could say go a bit far

yeah for sure, i don't think that the vibe it gives is because of some brilliant and unsung casting and editing decisions, it just works really well entirely as a happy accident

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I call it the “ReMind patch” but that’s a little inaccurate, it’s more like a gameplay patch they made to coincide with ReMind so that Sora controls well enough to not get wasted by the super duper ultra hard postgame bosses (along with a few other things like Oathkeeper/Oblivion and some postgame/NG+ skills), not specifically a quality of life thing you have to buy.

But yeah, I would disagree on KH2 Drive forms being “simple” in practice but would love to see something like skills attached to keyblades you unlock Final Fantasy VII Remake-style to incentivize changing things up.

Well the level-up system for all of them was pretty straightforward that's all I meant, compared to DDD's Spirit Board and the pinball thing.

Maybe I'll add KH3 to the list of games to replay. I'm wrapping up Maglam Lord and I'm gonna miss all of these characters; Lack did a great job designing everyone and I doubt they're setting things up with a sequel in mind for the far future or anything.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

C-Euro posted:

Looks like you're being a big baby about sexy anime women in video games, too

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

EightFlyingCars posted:

yeah for sure, i don't think that the vibe it gives is because of some brilliant and unsung casting and editing decisions, it just works really well entirely as a happy accident

Frankly the dialog is tolerable at best like a lot of games of the era. The main cast dialog is mostly ok. All the dialog is understandable but it has that issue older games have where it feels transliterated in many places. Way too stilted and formal - no contractions in regular speech and such. There are also bits that come off as straight up machine translated later on, especially in the incidental and NPC dialog. There's also that issue where each dialog box serves as it's "own" conversation and the next one may or may not flow coherently with it.

There's also that fun NPC dialog in New Parm where Sue calls someone "retarded" so it's dated on a lot of fronts!

The game is an absolute gem in spite of all that. I think the character art and animations do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to any sort of actual characterization.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 8, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive now fired up 4 different WRPGs to scope out their character creation systems and we've had 30+ years of making characters using roughly the same things how are we still so bad at this?

Whats the most baffling is that the last few DRPGs I played, they knew how to avoid a lot of these problems so its just collected cruft (or weird unforced errors, Solasta)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Stella Glow is a waifu game. But there's nothing wrong with that considering one of the best PS2 game is a waifu game

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Given the name, I thought Stella Glow might have been a sequel to Stella Deus or something, but it's not.

It was also the last game Imageepoch ever put out before their CEO up and ran. Huh.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
During the intro/demo chapter, I told the childhood friend to believe in herself and the game told me that was the wrong dialogue option. And as we all know, there's nothing more attractive than self-confidence :colbert: Maybe think about that if you want me to buy into your relationship mechanics!

If the relationship stuff is secondary and not too awkward then maybe I'll give it another look, but like I said I've got a lot of other stuff to get through on this thing so I'm being pretty choosy.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

just finished up Pathfinder Kingmaker and ho boy was it a race to the finish at the end. the kingdom management stuff was fine in theory but mostly it just made me paranoid about actually going out and exploring the world while Problems could be tearing up my home.

story was pretty cool in parts but imo it does not stick the landing at the end where some of my party members seemed to arbitrarily die, kill each other, or leave. I have no idea what the proper Amiri quest ending was or if I missed a trigger - I thought I saw things through to the end?

I'll probably take a good break until trying out the sequel(?)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think people mentioned the sequel fixed the issues with the problems, but I can't confidently speak to that.

I'm playing Solasta Crown of the Magister because between all the WRPGs I installed this is the closest to letting me treat it like a DRPG. I'm not here for rich backstory and lore, I'm here to lead my squad of four custom built psychopaths on a bloody swath of destruction.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

I think people mentioned the sequel fixed the issues with the problems, but I can't confidently speak to that.

I'm playing Solasta Crown of the Magister because between all the WRPGs I installed this is the closest to letting me treat it like a DRPG. I'm not here for rich backstory and lore, I'm here to lead my squad of four custom built psychopaths on a bloody swath of destruction.

also it lets you shove people off cliffs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

also it lets you shove people off cliffs

I kicked the tutorial wolf off a cliff and have been looking for more cliffs to push people off of since then, so good to know that keeps up.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Barudak posted:

It fixes some problems, doesn't fix others and introduces new ones. Overall I think Wrath is a better game, but I definitely wouldn't recommend playing it right after Kingmaker unless you are just really into Pathfinder and need more.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, welp, got to like, the second main set of encounters in Solasta and gamepass ability to let me just quit is rearing its head. Enemies with regenerating health, darkvision in a dark environment, ranged attacks, and abilities to climb the walls so they can exit melee range at will, and a higher to hit than anything I can have at this point in the game. I can win this fight, but it will require both a lot of getting lucky and just an inordinately slow fight and I've lost all interest.

Welp, back to the game drawing board.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Growing up, I didn't know anything about the Japanese language's problem with lr's and r's. I just remembered in Xenosaga Episode 1 they called her both Juli and Juri, although it's always spelled Juli. Just now, when Jr. gets his gun, I always remembered how he calls it a "Makalov" but the subtitles spells it right, Makarov.

I wonder how this even happens, the text is right but somebody directing wasn't on the ball. You'd figure they'd at least know about Makarovs. I'm no gun nut but they're a pretty famous type or brand or something.

It's by no means a bad dub, though. I still think it largely holds up, it just has little quirks like this. Same for a lot of dubs from this era.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 8, 2022

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Growing up, I didn't know anything about the Japanese language's problem with lr's and r's. I just remembered in Xenosaga Episode 1 they called her both Juli and Juri, although it's always spelled Juli. Just now, when Jr. gets his gun, I always remembered how he calls it a "Makalov" but the subtitles spells it right, Makarov.

I wonder how this even happens, the text is right but somebody directing wasn't on the ball. You'd figure they'd at least know about Makarovs. I'm no gun nut but they're a pretty famous type or brand or something.

It's by no means a bad dub, though. I still think it largely holds up, it just has little quirks like this. Same for a lot of dubs from this era.

Maybe a rights issue using Makarovs? I dunno. If anything I feel for the poor translators who needed to study Freud, Jung, Gnosticism, Nietzche and imaginary numbers before they understood what the hell was happening with Xenosaga.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone tell me more about these supposed 'Waifu games that C-Euro is trying to avoid.

Maglam Lord is chill and fun and now I'm looking for something else. Once I get a chance to look at some videos, I might get Sakura Wars though I'm fairly sure that's an otome game?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Maybe a rights issue using Makarovs? I dunno. If anything I feel for the poor translators who needed to study Freud, Jung, Gnosticism, Nietzche and imaginary numbers before they understood what the hell was happening with Xenosaga.

All translators need to be experts on everything (or convincingly fake it). It's not really any easier if you're translating some pop Neptunia or whatever that makes a bunch of video game references.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Barudak posted:

I don't think I've ever seen the term "DRPG" before. Is that another way of describing like dungeon crawlers?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Crowetron posted:

I don't think I've ever seen the term "DRPG" before. Is that another way of describing like dungeon crawlers?

Yep, it's a way to describe more dungeon crawler dedicated RPGs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Clarste posted:

All translators need to be experts on everything (or convincingly fake it). It's not really any easier if you're translating some pop Neptunia or whatever that makes a bunch of video game references.

courtesy of those FF7 translation vids, my favorite was the translator missing the joke of Midgar's mayor and assistant having the names Domino and Hut (he translated it reasonably as "Hart" but missed the pizza joke)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Araxxor posted:

Yep, it's a way to describe more dungeon crawler dedicated RPGs.

in this house we still call them "blobbers"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

oh i thought it was referring to german rpgs

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

courtesy of those FF7 translation vids, my favorite was the translator missing the joke of Midgar's mayor and assistant having the names Domino and Hut (he translated it reasonably as "Hart" but missed the pizza joke)

One of my favorite instances of "Missed the joke" is still someone completely whiffing the Error and Bug joke in The Adventure of Link. I don't know how they managed to get Error right, but not Bug.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

Someone tell me more about these supposed 'Waifu games that C-Euro is trying to avoid.

Maglam Lord is chill and fun and now I'm looking for something else. Once I get a chance to look at some videos, I might get Sakura Wars though I'm fairly sure that's an otome game?

sakura wars is, an action rpg dating sim. it is not an otome game though there are genre similarities, you are not playing as a woman nor do you get to date guys. it's also a bit weird cause the older games are srpgs and it seems like the shift to an action rpg was pretty unanimously viewed negatively, and sega made a lot of really stupid choices with rebooting the series, chiefest among them being launching a remarkably bad mobile game that didn't even manage the basic step of appealing to older fans' nostalgia with characters they like, so i dunno if the new games will get to continue and build that into something better

if you haven't played the summon night swordcraft story games, maglam lord is a direct successor to those from the same staff, though it goes more explicit on the dating angle. characters are still bi and you basically get romantic scenes with them in those games though

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Clarste posted:

Oh absolutely, I have the greatest sympathy not just for Richard Honeywood on Xenogears or whoever did Xenosaga, but also the random soul who did FFVI. They did the best they could with what they had and it turned out pretty good most of the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah the most painful thing about translation is that you don't just need to know Japanese and English. You need to have at least passing knowledge with like a dozen different languages and mythologies because god knows you're inevitably going to run into something named after some obscure as poo poo Norse deity or whatever.

In theory an editor's job is to catch stuff that looks drastically wrong but editors are one of the worst paid and worst supported jobs in the world so even good editors can only do so much. Likewise in theory communication between the original writer and the translation team can help with this stuff but that is also a "you need to be lucky" thing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

who's your favorite in maglam lord?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

sakura wars is, an action rpg dating sim. it is not an otome game though there are genre similarities, you are not playing as a woman nor do you get to date guys. it's also a bit weird cause the older games are srpgs and it seems like the shift to an action rpg was pretty unanimously viewed negatively, and sega made a lot of really stupid choices with rebooting the series, chiefest among them being launching a remarkably bad mobile game that didn't even manage the basic step of appealing to older fans' nostalgia with characters they like, so i dunno if the new games will get to continue and build that into something better

if you haven't played the summon night swordcraft story games, maglam lord is a direct successor to those from the same staff, though it goes more explicit on the dating angle. characters are still bi and you basically get romantic scenes with them in those games though

Thank you for all the in depth information, I wasn't really sure what to look at beyond just the company's Wikipedia page and finding their other games. Had no other plans beyond that. It's a shame that the genre shift didn't work out well, I remember the same thing kinda happened with Valkyria Revolution. I hope there's something in the Summon Night Swordcraft series that I dig. I'm looking forward to checking that out.

I know it's not the same type of game but since the premise seems interesting, Hero Must Die, Again I'd only my list right now.

Looper posted:

who's your favorite in maglam lord?

I'm simple, I like Charme and MOAV. Also the BladeLord's characterization as being a free spirit that takes orders from nobody and does as they like was very fun, since it let you play them however you liked and nothing's really out of character for them. Reminded me of the Saints Row Boss.

Oh poo poo, I also wanted to ask about any other games where you play as some kinda boss or dangerous creature like that. The only ones I can think of are- thanks to this thread- Maglam Lord, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, and Cthulu Saves the World.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 9, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

I know it's not the same type of game but since the premise seems interesting, Hero Must Die, Again I'd only my list right now.

hero must die is interesting but. it's a phone game. it's a very, very direct remake of a phone game. there's some new stuff but the basic structure and mechanics are all identical to the original, and the original wasn't really designed as a game you like, sit down at home and play. so keep that in mind. the creator of hero must die is kind of a cult legend in japan and he worked on way bigger games (notably gunparade march and, as the only western one to get an official tl, oreshika: tainted bloodlines) but hero must die is a much smaller scale experimental thing so. bear that in mind.

quote:

Oh poo poo, I also wanted to ask about any other games where you play as some kinda boss or dangerous creature like that. The only ones I can think of are- thanks to this thread- Maglam Lord, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, and Cthulu Saves the World.

okage's an obvious one, you get possessed by the big bad of a typical jrpg and have to go on wacky adventures. the uh. english tl is so bad that it kind of mangles the game's later metatext though.

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

So I told myself last year that I was finally going to play the Ys series, so I played the first one to completion and totally dropped off. I just now finished Ys II and I’m ready for more. Is Ys Origin my next step? I’ve had Oath in Felghana haunting my library for years at this point.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
play whichever you like ys chronology barely matters at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It might make sense to play Origin near 1+2 since it has a bunch of call..forwards, though?