Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Insanite posted:

Just queued it up for an install, in that case. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Tried PoE out with a cloud config save that was several years old. The controller layout defaulted to some jacked up community one. After I switched to one of the Valve gamepad layouts, all was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The newest Battlezone is very good on the Deck. Pick it up, blow some poo poo up, set it down. Also tried Distance which says it’s verified but you have to set it to Proton 7.0-2 for it to pick up the controller properly.

Also one common thing I’m finding on the Deck is small UI elements or just hard to read gameplay elements even on Deck verified titles. Or am I just getting old finally?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Nah Deck Verified stuff can still be Iffy:tm: with some of the UI scaling or lack thereof

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

yeah

steam button + l1 or l2 magnifies the screen though, works ok for slower games

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 was the first verified game that didn't work for me. It loaded up into the menu just fine but none of the controller buttons did anything. I've tried rebinding several ways but I could only ever got arrow keys to work.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I had some issues with the newly verified Arkham City launching in the 'background', when I started the game it would just stay on the screen with the spinning Steam logo and a prompt saying "Press B to close the game", could hear the game in the background, but I couldn't switch to it.

Eventually fixed it by putting the game in windowed mode from it's launcher.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Project Zomboid is Verified and I even jumped onto their beta branch which apparently has a bunch of deck fixes
If you boot into it non compatibility mode (whatever that means) all the text in all the menus is garbled.
Booting it in compatible mode fixes that, but then it's kinda not fun to navigate menus and use. Yes it works. Yes you can play it and the core gameplay is pretty good. But to say its "Verified" I think is a little of a jump, I'd say Compatible.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
If i ordered Thursday that means it should ship sometime today, right?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 was the first verified game that didn't work for me. It loaded up into the menu just fine but none of the controller buttons did anything. I've tried rebinding several ways but I could only ever got arrow keys to work.

For some games, I've found restarting them gets the controls to respond. Or changing from one controller layout to another.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Here's hoping my pre-order email comes today. At least, that's what the calculator estimated, but it might be working off outdated numbers. I think the US 512gb model is getting so bogged down compared to the rest, we're still like only 20 mins in, right?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Maybe a silly question but can you have Steam running on PC and Deck with no issues? And does Steam work the same way on Deck with regards to friends list, profiles, etc?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Maybe a silly question but can you have Steam running on PC and Deck with no issues? And does Steam work the same way on Deck with regards to friends list, profiles, etc?

I haven't run into any, and my wife and I both have a profile on the Deck without any problems.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Kaddish posted:

Yup, no issues at all and its the same software underneath but with a skin, like big picture mode. You can also use the regular desktop client in desktop mode if you want, and it's needed for a couple of tweaks.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

JazzFlight posted:

Here's hoping my pre-order email comes today. At least, that's what the calculator estimated, but it might be working off outdated numbers. I think the US 512gb model is getting so bogged down compared to the rest, we're still like only 20 mins in, right?
0:21:49 in currently. Last time it was +2:41 minutes up so it could keep going but could be lower as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Maybe a silly question but can you have Steam running on PC and Deck with no issues?

It’s been logging me out lately on my Pc.

Lost ark has been having some lovely queues so I’d load the game up and then play something on my deck while I waited and steam would log me out on the Pc but I could still play a game on my deck.

I dunno what’s up with that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kaddish posted:

You'll get exactly the same issues you would get running Steam on two PCs; if someone is playing a game logged in on one of them, the same steam account won't be able to play games on the other one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the nice thing is it only logs you off steam, it doesn't necessarily quit the game you're running, and the biggest headache is if you get kicked off PC steam you have to quit and relaunch to get around the manual re-login

it does seem to be a bit of a use case oversight that I kind of wonder if they have plans on changing/fixing though

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
poo poo I guess if you suspend a game on the deck then you can't launch one on your PC? I haven't tried it but sounds like that won't work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

poo poo I guess if you suspend a game on the deck then you can't launch one on your PC? I haven't tried it but sounds like that won't work.

Yeah you can. I’ve not had any issues with that.

Only if a game is running on the Pc and I load one on the deck steam logs me out on the Pc but let’s the game keep running.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh okay interesting, good to know!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Steam should let you freely use the deck if you are on the same network as your main pc tbh.

The deck should count as a secondary device or something.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I must admit I've spent more time playing the Deck at my Steam-equipped gaming PC than I probably should. Especially because I got a nice new couch a few weeks ago!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

It’s been logging me out lately on my Pc.

Lost ark has been having some lovely queues so I’d load the game up and then play something on my deck while I waited and steam would log me out on the Pc but I could still play a game on my deck.

I dunno what’s up with that.

This only happens if you try to play a game on two different devices at the same time. It would work the same way if you had two laptops and did the same thing. If you only play on one device at a time, it will never log you out.

I suppose one way around this would be to put the deck into offline mode. Then you could play most games without the internet and you should in theory be able to use your pc as well.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 9, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have a Tracking Number, so I am expecting to get my Deck this week. Found out today that one of my colleagues already got his and RMAd it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just got my 256GB US order confirmation email a week before the web calculator predicted. Breathe in the copium!

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I ordered mine last Friday afternoon since I missed the Thursday email at first, probably expect this thing to actually ship Wednesday right?

e: nm got the shipping notification email an hour after this post

thewizardofshoe fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 9, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I would rather like a Steam Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NGL it is pretty nifty.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Less Fat Luke posted:

I think it should be fine with different games. When I suspended vampire survivors on the deck, and then decided to play it on my desktop later, after I hit play the steam library greyed out and stopped responding. I could still view the store and such but the library tab was frozen. Had to quit steam and go back in for it to work again.

Danith fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 9, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That sounds like something crashed trying to download cloud saves. That system can be a little janky on steam.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Finally got my Steam Deck all set up and it's working pretty well out of the box even when using Proton for unsupported games or a more optimal configuration. I actually had to force Borderlands 2 to use Proton instead of native so that it would use my old Cloud Saves since none of my save files were showing up natively despite them being there on my PC. Apparently, it's an issue with the Linux and Mac version of the game and requires manually moving the save files in the right location and renaming them. I'm glad I figured that out because gently caress trying to replay the game with basic crap just to do the final DLC before moving onto Borderlands 3. And also that Proton works well since I was able to get a stable capped 60 FPS at 1280x800 and high settings.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
i got deck on Sunday and outside of a few small issues I've been happy with how many games on the Steam Deck just work. unfortunately septerra core does not run on the Deck, making it objectively the worst portable. sad.

that said, playing 90% of my indie library on the go is a perfectly acceptable compromise.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

only game that hasn't launched on the deck for me was The Maw. that's besides my GPU issues (still on vacation with it currently so no RMA yet) which i guess really is just game-by-game-- the game i'm playing right now, a unity game, ran fine for nearly 6 hours, while a clickteam fusion game crashed the GPU within minutes. so it's not even like "oh just don't play the GPU-intensive games then"

anyway. even stuff marked as unsupported can still run. i played a half hour of Gish today, of all games, just to see if it actually would run despite being unsupported, and it absolutely works fine. i also played Soul Reaver which is old as sand, and it did run through to gameplay, though the videos did not play. that said, the screen was aligned to the left side of the screen rather than center, and i'd need to properly configure every key for the game because it doesn't detect a gamepad so you have to use M&KB bindings.

i've also not really encountered any game that's run super poorly yet. i think the closest was Ary & the Secret of Seasons but you can dial the settings down and it'll hit 60. HROT apparently is the one game that the Deck can't handle which is very funny because it looks like a Quake 1 mod.

even turning all the power settings down to like, 3 watt TDP, variable half-shading, GPU fixed to lowest mhz... you'd be surprised at just how many games STILL run at full speed. obviously not death stranding or whatever, but the Deck really benefits from the majority of indie games being made in legacy engines like GameMaker Studio, Clickteam, Ren'py, RPG Maker, etc. like I said, I was playing a 2D unity game for nearly 6 hours and my battery still had 9% left on it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 10, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's a shame that there's no "no, this is literally unplayable" category-- half of the games I'm regularly playing are "unsupported", and then stuff like Astroneer and Space Engineers just don't launch properly full stop

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's a shame that there's no "no, this is literally unplayable" category-- half of the games I'm regularly playing are "unsupported", and then stuff like Astroneer and Space Engineers just don't launch properly full stop

I agree, there should be a "Deck optimized" category, for games that are actually playable like a proper handheld game. Then have something like "Approved" for games that are fully implemented technically, but might have some unoptimized "PC first" issues. Then you could have something like "Runs", where the game definitely can be run, but might just crash at some point or have other weird issues. And then you could have unsupported for things that can't even run (natively), an additional category of "impossible" would be nice, but who could possibly give that rating, there could always be a wiz that makes it work with 5 layers of abstraction.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

They've had this issue for a decade already with big picture / "controller supported". Many supported games won't launch with just a controller, or have controls you could never successfully play the game with, or just flat out don't have support despite saying so. Meanwhile many of the games with the best controller / couch support built in don't have it listed. Makes shopping for couch games a nightmare, on top of all of the Steam store's well known shittiness like not being able to easily search for arbitrary combinations of tags and features.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm amazed by how many games run on it without issues. The only problem in-game I've had so far is a weird bug in Yakuza 7 where specific menus think the left cursor button is being constantly pressed. It was fixed by restarting the game.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edward IV posted:

Finally got my Steam Deck all set up and it's working pretty well out of the box even when using Proton for unsupported games or a more optimal configuration. I actually had to force Borderlands 2 to use Proton instead of native so that it would use my old Cloud Saves since none of my save files were showing up natively despite them being there on my PC. Apparently, it's an issue with the Linux and Mac version of the game and requires manually moving the save files in the right location and renaming them. I'm glad I figured that out because gently caress trying to replay the game with basic crap just to do the final DLC before moving onto Borderlands 3. And also that Proton works well since I was able to get a stable capped 60 FPS at 1280x800 and high settings.

Are you saying Borderlands had a native linux version and you forced it to use the windows version through proton? How did you do that? Chronicon has a similar problem with save games being separate between the Windows and Linux versions. If I could force it to run the windows version through proton, I'd be able to sync my savegames.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Dramicus posted:

Are you saying Borderlands had a native linux version and you forced it to use the windows version through proton? How did you do that? Chronicon has a similar problem with save games being separate between the Windows and Linux versions. If I could force it to run the windows version through proton, I'd be able to sync my savegames.

From the game library page, select the gear icon, then Properties, under Compatibility select "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool", and select whichever version of Proton works well with the game. By default, it'll pick Proton Experimental which has worked out well for me so far but further down the list it also has Steam Linux Runtimes for games that have Linux compatibility.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2806358504
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2806358594

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edward IV posted:

From the game library page, select the gear icon, then Properties, under Compatibility select "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool", and select whichever version of Proton works well with the game. By default, it'll pick Proton Experimental which has worked out well for me so far but further down the list it also has Steam Linux Runtimes for games that have Linux compatibility.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2806358504
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2806358594

Hey, it worked! It redownloaded the game and now my saves sync. Thanks!