Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

TenementFunster posted:

yeah i can’t think of any other reason somebody would complain about “hipsters” in the year 2022 unless they were doing a parody of an out-of-touch nerd who hasn’t left the house since 2007

anyway, welcome to Team Embody, my fellow champions.

I'm talking about people buying HM Aeron/Mirra/whatever because they "look cool" and then complaining they are uncomfortable - when they should have been eyeing the "boring" but dependable, comfy and decent looking office master cop chairs all along. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm talking about people buying HM Aeron/Mirra/whatever because they "look cool"
they do :)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wall mounts, my friends. I hate that my OG ROG Swift isn't VESA. Hard to believe I've been rocking high refresh g sync @ 1440 for 8 years now

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wall mounts are great because they don't wobble when you bump the table, but then they're no good if you get a sit-stand desk. A good wall mount that slides vertically would be nice.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
wall mounts are bad for both TVs and monitors because they enable/encourage mouthbreathers to mount the things way too high

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

wall mounts are bad for both TVs and monitors because they enable/encourage mouthbreathers to mount the things way too high

I get neck strain every time i have to look at real estate listings and see everyone's awful tv mounts. so many cursed living rooms

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 8, 2022

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

Wall mounts are great because they don't wobble when you bump the table, but then they're no good if you get a sit-stand desk. A good wall mount that slides vertically would be nice.

Those exist, but the only one I could find with the amount of vertical travel I wanted was like $400 or something equally outrageous.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm the mismatched monitor in an otherwise fancy af setup

Yeah, I agree tbh, but the ultrawide is the first monitor I got that was basically top tier and also bought for me by a parent who’s passed so it’s hard to get rid of.

Side note: that desk is like a $70 Amazon special and it makes me laugh when I think about the $ amount that’s screwed into that particle board/reliant on particle board not breaking. Gotta rep my white trash heritage somehow

The keyboard is also too close for me to see the last 30% of the leftmost monitor, so a desk update is irritatingly in order, but Jesus gently caress are nice desks expensive. Says the guy with an Embody. But the Embody is for my spine. A desk just… holds poo poo.

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm talking about people buying HM Aeron/Mirra/whatever because they "look cool" and then complaining they are uncomfortable - when they should have been eyeing the "boring" but dependable, comfy and decent looking office master cop chairs all along. :colbert:

I mean you’re prob right, but my previous chair was an Amazon special so yeah, anything would be a massive step up

TenementFunster posted:

My Embody actually lets me sit at eye level with the top of my monitors now

I’ve adjusted all the things

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 8, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Double post, didn’t realize I was in the same thread

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My desk is an unpaneled interior door laid across two saw horses

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Eric the Mauve posted:

same, except instead of saw horses it's two small drawers from ikea and a couple 2x4s.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I get neck strain every time i have to look at real estate listings and see everyone's awful tv mounts. so many cursed living rooms

TVs should never go above fireplaces

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I was close to just using a door but found a solid desk top at a Restore the other day for 30 bux.

I put it on a Eames designed conference table base and am very happy with it.

The Desk is pretty much going to be filled with a mixing board as soon as we get the adat cards up and running.

Also picked up the used 3d Sony Bravia for cheap the other day, because a 27 inch monitor wasn't going to cut it for pro tools.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I got my Embody a few days ago.

I have historically had pretty bad posture (just generally, but also specifically in chairs) and this thing is destroying me. It's downright unpleasant to sit in but in the most productive way I can imagine. I can actually see this chair fixing me but that might be a bit of a stretch. It's at least going to stop me from sitting with bad posture. I'm coming from a Leap v2, which let me sit pretty poorly (I think).

Leo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 9, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
another big win for My Opinions

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If what you're saying is that mismatched monitors will lead to your desk randomly shattering, then yes, I agree you should avoid mismatched monitors. :v:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Leo posted:

I got my Embody a few days ago.

I have historically had pretty bad posture (just generally, but also specifically in chairs) and this thing is destroying me. It's downright unpleasant to sit in but in the most productive way I can imagine. I can actually see this chair fixing me but that might be a bit of a stretch. It's at least going to stop me from sitting with bad posture. I'm coming from a Leap v2, which let me sit pretty poorly (I think).

I just recently transitioned from my 8 year old refurb leap v1 to an Aeron and I’m feeling the same way. I was definitely able to get away with a lot of poo poo in the leap that was inarguably bad for my body and posture and the Aeron is having none of that. I’m looking forward to the coming weeks of untwisting my spine.

Unfortunately what I thought was an Aeron classic turned out to be a remastered, which would have been a happy surprise except I bought one without the posturefit thinking I could just stick one on there if I decided I wanted it, but surprise I have to buy a whole chair back to do that with the remastered. Thankfully it’s plenty comfortable as is for now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My Embody was a little uncomfortable for a bit and I was worried I had made a terrible mistake but then I got the lumbar thing dialed in/got used to it and now I don't even think about the chair at all which is really the ideal situation for a chair to be in.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Can you say more about the distinction there? I'm in the market for a used Aeron and have never heard about any of that

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Can you say more about the distinction there? I'm in the market for a used Aeron and have never heard about any of that

There’s two models. The easiest way to tell is by the suspension under the seat, as I’ve learned. Here’s a picture I found that kinda shows it off.

Remastered is gonna be post-2016 manufacturing, if you’re buying new you’re almost certainly getting one. Used is a bit weirder because they look extremely similar otherwise. For the remaster, the hardware under the seat is gonna be a lot more rectangular and like a plastic enclosure almost. While newer, they’re sort of a pain in the rear end if you want to ever add features, while the Classic models were a bit more modular.

For back support you have 3 options basically. If you’re cool with either no support, or a height adjustable one you can get whatever and it’ll fit on to the back. The fancy adjustable Posturefit SL hardware needs something special on the chair back - they don’t even sell the kit as far as I can find, just an entire back rest + installed posturefit for 300 bones.

Height-adjustable lumbar support

PostureFit adjustable thingy.

It was also easier to add the forward tilt mechanism to the older style of chair, while the newer ones sound like a real pain in the rear end. Not something I super cared about, but if that’s something you have an opinion on be sure you’re buying the right hardware.

None of the poo poo works across the two models - classic posturefit won’t fit on to the remaster, etc.

The older Classic aeron is easiest to distinguish by having a big cylinder looking thing near the front of the seat underside instead of the smaller little box. You can get the adjustable back support kit for these all day on eBay for like, 100 bucks or less, and from what I gather installing additional options down the line isn’t too tricky.

Far as I can tell there’s not really a whole lot of difference otherwise - apart from the lower hardware it looks more or less identical to me.

If you’re on a budget and plan to maybe add extras on later, I’d try to get a classic. If you’re going big, you should be able to find a fully loaded remaster for under a grand easily. There’s not nearly as much of a price difference between the two otherwise, but I do wish I’d have been paying a bit more attention so i could make a more informed decision. Hope that helps.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 10, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Inspector_666 posted:

My Embody was a little uncomfortable for a bit and I was worried I had made a terrible mistake but then I got the lumbar thing dialed in/got used to it and now I don't even think about the chair at all which is really the ideal situation for a chair to be in.
absolutely racking up Ws here

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Vegastar posted:

There’s two models. The easiest way to tell is by the suspension under the seat, as I’ve learned. Here’s a picture I found that kinda shows it off.

Remastered is gonna be post-2016 manufacturing, if you’re buying new you’re almost certainly getting one. Used is a bit weirder because they look extremely similar otherwise. For the remaster, the hardware under the seat is gonna be a lot more rectangular and like a plastic enclosure almost. While newer, they’re sort of a pain in the rear end if you want to ever add features, while the Classic models were a bit more modular.

For back support you have 3 options basically. If you’re cool with either no support, or a height adjustable one you can get whatever and it’ll fit on to the back. The fancy adjustable Posturefit SL hardware needs something special on the chair back - they don’t even sell the kit as far as I can find, just an entire back rest + installed posturefit for 300 bones.

Height-adjustable lumbar support

PostureFit adjustable thingy.

It was also easier to add the forward tilt mechanism to the older style of chair, while the newer ones sound like a real pain in the rear end. Not something I super cared about, but if that’s something you have an opinion on be sure you’re buying the right hardware.

None of the poo poo works across the two models - classic posturefit won’t fit on to the remaster, etc.

The older Classic aeron is easiest to distinguish by having a big cylinder looking thing near the front of the seat underside instead of the smaller little box. You can get the adjustable back support kit for these all day on eBay for like, 100 bucks or less, and from what I gather installing additional options down the line isn’t too tricky.

Far as I can tell there’s not really a whole lot of difference otherwise - apart from the lower hardware it looks more or less identical to me.

If you’re on a budget and plan to maybe add extras on later, I’d try to get a classic. If you’re going big, you should be able to find a fully loaded remaster for under a grand easily. There’s not nearly as much of a price difference between the two otherwise, but I do wish I’d have been paying a bit more attention so i could make a more informed decision. Hope that helps.
Thanks, this is extremely helpful, I didn't know there was a difference and now I have options to contemplate!

e: Hey, any advice on sizing? According to the official chart I fall in the B/C range, but when I sat in my mom's size B it felt a little small. Couldn't tell if that's normal. I'm about 6'2.5" and ~210lb.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 10, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
all of the aeron posture things kinda suck imho and i just raw dog it

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks, this is extremely helpful, I didn't know there was a difference and now I have options to contemplate!

e: Hey, any advice on sizing? According to the official chart I fall in the B/C range, but when I sat in my mom's size B it felt a little small. Couldn't tell if that's normal. I'm about 6'2.5" and ~210lb.

I’ve got an extra 50lbs on you (:() but roughly same height. Definitely went C for me and it feels great compared to the old leap v1 that would dig in to the sides of my thigh. The C does also have a higher back overall, so if you’re considering a headrest that might be a factor.

But really if you’ve sat in a B already and found it feels a bit small that’s probably more telling than anything else. Your body knows what’s up and if you’re uncomfortable enough in a short time to notice it you probably don’t want to put up with that for 8+ hours a day or whatever.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've moved house and my home office now has quite thick carpet. I love it, but it's presented me with two problems - first of all it's quite hard to move my chair, the casters don't turn easily. Secondly, I have noticed that within a month of being here, it's started to damage the carpet, with fibres being pulled out.

What's my best option for making this usable whilst still retaining a carpet feel? I have bought a flatwoven rug which will stop the damage, but honestly it's no easier to move the chair and it seems to be making the rug kink already. I don't want a smooth hard surface really - I've missed having carpet.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think a hard mat under the chair is basically your only option, and it's really not such a bad one. Try the glaciermat.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

You could also try the roller blade style casters instead, might help. You can get a set that’ll fit just about any office chair that isn’t IKEA from Amazon for 30-40 bucks.

I just finished installing one of the Atlas headrests on my Aeron and I am working in pure goddamned comfort. Spending so much on a chair was a tough ask but sitting here now it was worth every loving penny.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have reasonably deep pile carpet then you might just find that nothing works very well on it. In the world of office chairs, the standard carpet castors are designed for carpet tiles (nobody would have carpet this crap in their home), and the hard floor ones are the soft rims designed to roll on wood floors rather than slide over them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Giant casters are the best option for carpet but there's no way they will roll like on a hard surface or commercial carpet.
At least they should avoid any damage though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you want to avoid damage but don't want a chair mat your best option might be feet instead of casters? It won't roll at all, but it won't tear up the carpet.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
herman miller has rewarded me for all my good works in spreading the embody gospel. the tech arrived today to replace the broken arm on my embody, and in addition also replaced the back fabric and the entire bottom seat plus suspension. i was wondering why it was taking a few days to get a tech out, but no complaints now that i know they were waiting on the parts to replace basically the entire seating surface

:c00l:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Vegastar posted:

You could also try the roller blade style casters instead, might help. You can get a set that’ll fit just about any office chair that isn’t IKEA from Amazon for 30-40 bucks.

This was actually what I tried first - whilst they do roll okay, they're actually way worse than the regular double wheel plastic casters it came with when it comes to them turning. I think it's these which have been causing the damage when I've tried to move the chair in a direction that has required the rollerblade caster to swivel and it's pulled at the fibres.

Whilst I appreciate a hard mat is going to be the best option I'm just not ready to give up the feel of carpet under my feet - it's been years that I've been missing it so I figure I'll just go that route if/when it gets damaged enough.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Strap some nice pieces of carpet to each foot

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This was actually what I tried first - whilst they do roll okay, they're actually way worse than the regular double wheel plastic casters it came with when it comes to them turning. I think it's these which have been causing the damage when I've tried to move the chair in a direction that has required the rollerblade caster to swivel and it's pulled at the fibres.

Whilst I appreciate a hard mat is going to be the best option I'm just not ready to give up the feel of carpet under my feet - it's been years that I've been missing it so I figure I'll just go that route if/when it gets damaged enough.

Why don’t you just position the mat so your feet are on carpet under your desk and the chair stays on the mat?

Side note:

I was looking at other Herman Miller stuff and holy what in the loving gently caress are they charging $9k for a loving lounge chair for

Does the Eames… *do* anything?

I get an Aeron or Embody because ergonomics matter but goddamn. A lounge chair? $9k? The gently caress

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The Eames is an iconic design. You're paying for the brand and (to a lesser extent since there's a lot of dups) the look.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tehinternet posted:

I was looking at other Herman Miller stuff and holy what in the loving gently caress are they charging $9k for a loving lounge chair for

I get an Aeron or Embody because ergonomics matter but goddamn. A lounge chair? $9k? The gently caress
looks great in my living room, makes a hell of a cat bed, and lets fancy art people know that i have more money than they do

i make sure to flip over the ottoman to show off the eames authenticity medallion on the bottom if anyone implies it’s a fake.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Eames is loving awesome even if its existence reminds me I don't have enough money to truly be content with my financial situation and likely never will. Maybe I should :therapy:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Inner Light posted:

Eames is loving awesome even if its existence reminds me I don't have enough money to truly be content with my financial situation and likely never will. Maybe I should :therapy:
bro a chair ain’t gonna make you happy (unless it’s an Embody and saves you from a lifetime of back pain)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

looks great in my living room, makes a hell of a cat bed, and lets fancy art people know that i have more money than they do

i make sure to flip over the ottoman to show off the eames authenticity medallion on the bottom if anyone implies it’s a fake.

It looks like it would be really easy to reproduce for a fraction of the cost.

I was looking at some of the materials they have for it too and lol at some of the leather being pebbled— that’s trash tier leather that someone would pay $9k for.

I get charging (and paying) a premium for something that keeps you from getting Lowtax spine, but charging a bigger premium for what appears to be an okay lounger is just… wut

I gotta figure out how to get in on that level of grift someday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

tehinternet posted:

Why don’t you just position the mat so your feet are on carpet under your desk and the chair stays on the mat?

Side note:

They break alot because the design wasn't meant for modern fat American asses.

I have to fix them every once in a while and I can never guarantee a repair, because of how it's designed.

I'm happy with the 70s plycraft version I have that I've modified and restored over the years. It's currently broken because of its weak design flaw but I have it on a knock off new base and covered Buffalo leather.

I'll post some pictures when I get it back together.