Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Just to add my two cents, I've been using a Steelcase Criterion for over 6 years now (bought used so it's older than that) and it's still going strong for me :shrug:. I won't say it's a "high end chair" but it's better than most office chairs I've used in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
please stop buying the Gamer Chair

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
Noble chair has been fantastic. Nice firm cold cured foam and decent lumbar support.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Office Master cop chairs for the 5,000th time.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

TenementFunster posted:

please stop buying the Gamer Chair

a $1000 chair breaks in 10 years

a $100 gaming chair breaks in a year

therefore, buying 10 gaming chairs is the same investment!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I want all the data in here, not just for the favs. I wanna hear if somebody has a good experience with a refurbished Chuck E Cheese booth seat. We gotta get creative.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Freakazoid_ posted:

a $1000 chair breaks in 10 years
no it doesn’t

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My £80 Steelcase Think has a sticker on it saying it was built in 2006, and I've had it since 2011. Having witnessed how well expensive chairs are built and how long they last for, when it finally gives out I am going to pay retail for a Mirra 2 and then not think about the money.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Is you break an Aeron or Embody in 10 years, then you are doing something very wrong

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is you break an Aeron or Embody in 10 years, then you are doing something very wrong

:ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Look, if you can think of a better way to play the floor is lava I'd like to hear it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

What if it came pre-broken from the previous user? (Still haven't fixed the tilt on my Aeron.)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Got a Steelcase Leap v1 at home that needs a little work but is so much more comfortable than anything I've ever sat in at a desk.

My job is moving buildings in a few months and is basically acquiring all new stuff in the process, so I've asked about getting a new chair and inquired about a budget.

Boss: "Oh yeah I'm sure they can toss out $100 or something for a new chair. What were you thinking?"

Fuzz: "More like $1000."

Boss: :eyepop:

Fuzz: "We sit here for 8 hours every day and you were out all last season with serious back issues that you've said, repeatedly, were probably caused by your lovely chair."

Boss: :hmmyes:

So now we have a dream chair thread in Slack. I enjoy the Leap v1 I have and would be perfectly happy with another, but if I can try another fancy chair on someone else's dime then I'm gonna do it.

I'm not sold on mesh since I like something a bit more firm, but I also haven't sat in a nice quality mesh chair so my opinion might be skewed. I'm not big into high-backed chairs--one of the reasons I wanted the Leap v1 instead of v2 was the shorter backrest.

Any recommendations?

Also, comedy option, I find one as Supreme as my lovely, horse-obsessed coworker:

Just lol if you’re not stuffing your horse and turning it into a couch/chair using shell cordovan

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

TenementFunster posted:

gamer chairs come in all sorts of circus colors as they are used by clowns

Bro!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I've been using the Steelcase Gesture, and for the most part I love it. Don't have any lower back problems compared to the old chair. But now my tail bone starts to get sore after sitting in it for a long time. Is that just how it's going to be on the Gesture, or am I somehow sitting on it wrong and need to adjust something like the height?

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I've been using the Steelcase Gesture, and for the most part I love it. Don't have any lower back problems compared to the old chair. But now my tail bone starts to get sore after sitting in it for a long time. Is that just how it's going to be on the Gesture, or am I somehow sitting on it wrong and need to adjust something like the height?

It may be a height thing, but anecdotally, it was a seat depth issue for me.

It takes some time to find the sweet spot for seat depth. It was tempting to pull the seat all the way forward (especially because the seat always feels like it's leaning forward), but most of my problems went away as soon as I pulled it back a bit and let my legs take some of the force. A foot rest also helps.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
One leg of the spider on my 2012 Leap 2 cracked off last year, but that was a cheap replacement part.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I got my embody today and I love it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My delivery date isn’t until late June and I ordered it at the beginning of March

rip

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

grats

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Been on a Leap at home for about a year now and it's pretty good. Honestly though, I prefer the Amia. It's just more comfortable overall for my body, and it can often be had at half the price of the Leap. Kind of wish I'd have gone with the Amia, but oh well, here I sit.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Sometimes the Goodwill near me ends up with things that shouldn't be there.

90s designer cream colored awesomeness for 13 bux.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

TheGoonspiracist posted:

Sometimes the Goodwill near me ends up with things that shouldn't be there.

90s designer cream colored awesomeness for 13 bux.

For being light colored that chair is in amazing condition. I’d expect some discoloration or yellowing on a chair that old.

My embody gets here this Friday. My backbones are ready.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

tehinternet posted:

For being light colored that chair is in amazing condition. I’d expect some discoloration or yellowing on a chair that old.

My embody gets here this Friday. My backbones are ready.

I've had my embody for a couple weeks now and oh my God is it amazing compared to the $200 mesh office chair I had for five years.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've had my embody for a couple weeks now and oh my God is it amazing compared to the $200 mesh office chair I had for five years.
once again, i have been vindicated by history

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TenementFunster posted:

once again, i have been vindicated by history

*nods knowingly*

Going into the office once or twice a week does a phenomenal job of reminding me that it was absolutely the right play to spend Too Much Money on this chair.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can anyone point me to a Canadian retailer that sells quality used chairs? Or am I just doomed to whatever costco has forever

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That’s the wrong way to buy a used office chair. You need to buy it from a warehouse from some guy who looks like he hasn’t shaved in a few days. Probably no website outside of a weird Craigslist tier ad with slightly out of focus photos.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My coccyx is ready

I’m dropping whatever I’m working on when it gets here

I think it’s kinda wild how excited I am over an office chair. Younger me would beat my rear end

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

blugu64 posted:

That’s the wrong way to buy a used office chair. You need to buy it from a warehouse from some guy who looks like he hasn’t shaved in a few days. Probably no website outside of a weird Craigslist tier ad with slightly out of focus photos.

If you live near a major metro, I prefer going to a real deal brick and mortar used store. The difference is 1 thing: warranty. If my used Aeron ends up being a piece of garbage that falls apart or rattles loudly in 2 days, I want to be able to take it back and be able to work with a store.

Good luck ever getting ahold of rando again for anything, and if you have to sell it be ready for a several hundred dollar loss dealing with lowballers.

My used classic Aeron is sooooo loving old, probably one of the first classic ones I think pre-2000 (sticker is long since ripped off). The mesh is holding up and it's okay, in the end I'm still happy I saved $600+ over new I guess. But part of me wishes I went new. The mesh feels just a little tired (have a mental note to go into a Design Within Reach to compare to new), but replacing it seems like a total pain in the dick so I'm just living with it.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 6, 2022

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You must have different warehouse guys then me hah.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

oh my gently caress this chair is so good

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Wish I understood what everyone likes about the Embody. In the HM showroom it felt like there was barely any lumbar support compared to something like the Leap.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

runawayturtles posted:

Wish I understood what everyone likes about the Embody. In the HM showroom it felt like there was barely any lumbar support compared to something like the Leap.

I'm coming to this from a six year old $200 who knows where it came from chair, so my experience may be skewed. But I'm 6'3" and this is the first chair that I can actually sit in properly with feet on the ground. It's glorious (and also probably my brain rationalizing this kind of money).

Oh and if you have toddler aged kids, the box it comes in is basically a playground. It's a hell of a cardboard fort.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
All these overpriced hipster chairs are purchased because they "look cool", not because they are actually comfortable :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tehinternet posted:

oh my gently caress this chair is so good

I'm the mismatched monitor in an otherwise fancy af setup

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Keyser_Soze posted:

All these overpriced hipster chairs are purchased because they "look cool", not because they are actually comfortable :colbert:

Light the TF beacon...

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

CyberPingu posted:

Light the TF beacon...

I assumed they were talking about gamer chairs or the ultra-high-end poo poo that is like $10,000 each and is horribly uncomfortable but desirable because it's "expensive" and "rare" and "brand named".

I feel like corporate office chairs from generations-old brands are the furthest thing from the concept of "hipster" that one can get.

But yeah, no, now that you mention it, I bet they were just trying to rile TF up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarin posted:

But yeah, no, now that you mention it, I bet they were just trying to rile TF up.
yeah i can’t think of any other reason somebody would complain about “hipsters” in the year 2022 unless they were doing a parody of an out-of-touch nerd who hasn’t left the house since 2007

anyway, welcome to Team Embody, my fellow champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm the mismatched monitor in an otherwise fancy af setup
:thunk: