Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

net work error posted:

Kongming rocks
lmfao it's so good. i haven't watched any/many isekais before, but the Unfrozen Caveman bit always tickles me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kit Walker posted:

Exactly right. Legendary tactician Zhuge Liang dies and gets isekai'd to modern day Shibuya as himself when he was younger, befriends a singer who hasn't had much luck making it big, and decides to put his military strategy knowledge to good use on the most cutthroat battlefield of all: the jpop underground music scene

this is the stupidest thing I have ever read in my life and I am completely on board

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

christmas boots posted:

this is the stupidest thing I have ever read in my life and I am completely on board
he’s gonna do some three kingdoms sun tzu poo poo to make a lady famous and lmfao

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think one of my favorite things is a bunch of characters having a bunch of Three Kingdoms knowledge

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

net work error posted:

I think one of my favorite things is a bunch of characters having a bunch of Three Kingdoms knowledge

dynasty warriors is decently popular!!!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

net work error posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1519657568980770817

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

net work error posted:

the owner is very funny

“YALL TALKING ABOUT THREE KINGDOMS STUFF?!”

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Three Kingdoms is a touchstone of world literature, and the only reason Westerners aren't intimately familiar with it is because of racism.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I played a few Dynasty Warriors games on the PS2 does that count

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That makes you more knowledgeable than the average Amerikkkan

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

net work error posted:

It's basically like Americans knowing about the Civil War. If there were popular historically accurate TV shows about the Civil War every couple years.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it's not like rotk was ever historically accurate. but then what is?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

This little girl has a more nuanced understanding and critique of the invasion of Ukraine than any person I know in real life, and she's not even speaking her first language.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I don't know much RotTK but I've absorbed random Oda Nobunaga facts from jokes about him and that anime where he's reincarnated as a dog

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

an actual dog posted:

I don't know much RotTK but I've absorbed random Oda Nobunaga facts from jokes about him and that anime where he's reincarnated as a dog

The Fool of Owari! The Demon King of the Sixth Heaven!

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Gripweed posted:

Maybe it’s time for a critical reevaluation of Cross Ange.

In terms of "so bad it's good anime with insane plot" I personally rate Cross Ange above Code Geass.

I also don't recommend it to anyone who hasn't already built up a immunity to bad anime stuff.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Three Kingdoms is a touchstone of world literature, and the only reason Westerners aren't intimately familiar with it is because of racism.

I somehow doubt some guy in Egypt or Turkey is any more likely to know who Liu Bei is than a westerner.
I don’t think you can even say “World Literature” is even a thing that exists before WW2.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

High school didn’t teach me poo poo, everything I know about history I learned from Sengoku Basara

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Liu Bei rocks

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/133703

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Augus posted:

High school didn’t teach me poo poo, everything I know about history I learned from Sengoku Basara

It’s funny when you realize there is a sizable percentage of Americans today who know more about the Sengoku era than they do the civil war.

Unlike me, who knows both, including which personalities would be friends and which would be rivals. In this fan fiction I will

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

this is the history they try to keep from you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tYHuWg56CE

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

January 6 Survivor posted:

In terms of "so bad it's good anime with insane plot" I personally rate Cross Ange above Code Geass.

I also don't recommend it to anyone who hasn't already built up a immunity to bad anime stuff.

cross ange has Problems but I support it showing up in srw more often so people can tell embryo his haircut sucks poo poo and he should die more often

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galagazombie posted:

I somehow doubt some guy in Egypt or Turkey is any more likely to know who Liu Bei is than a westerner.
I don’t think you can even say “World Literature” is even a thing that exists before WW2.

none of this refutes my post, chump

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

January 6 Survivor posted:

I think it would be better received nowadays, since the bad guy is literally just Joss Whedon.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Code Geass ran out of steam after the first season, and its contrivances no longer felt like fun little twists and more like bulldozing the plot so it could get where they wanted it to go. Once they stopped being underdogs it just wasn't fun anymore, and the big reveals were lame.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pizza Hut

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Code Geass ran out of steam after the first season, and its contrivances no longer felt like fun little twists and more like bulldozing the plot so it could get where they wanted it to go. Once they stopped being underdogs it just wasn't fun anymore, and the big reveals were lame.

insanely wrong. while I agree the first half of season 2 lost some steam, there's a reason that code geass' ending is widely considered one of the best.

also it just rules. watched it all first time recently, amazing amazing show. how could I ever not love a show that's first episode has a guy gain the ability to order other people to do whatever he wants, and the first thing he does is order a bunch of dudes to shoot themselves. badass.

edit: I agree with the guy below me. it was pure fan service, but not of the pervert variety. "here's all the characters you know and like in a pretty cool situation. Enjoy" that's pretty much as good as an anime movie can be.

Mirello has issued a correction as of 17:28 on May 9, 2022

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
speaking of Geass, I really liked the... what was it? OVA? Movie? they released a few years ago because it was just very fun to see the studio take all their toys out of storage to smash them together again. Very childish but in a fun way.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

galagazombie posted:

Somebody has never heard of the bible (many consider Christ to be the world's first isekai hero)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jesus was the original cao cao

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
if you're a turk and you don't know who zhang fei is you're undoubtedly a racist

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

if you're a turk and you don't know who zhang fei is you're undoubtedly a racist

Aren't the Uighurs Turkic? :can:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mirello posted:

insanely wrong. while I agree the first half of season 2 lost some steam, there's a reason that code geass' ending is widely considered one of the best.

also it just rules. watched it all first time recently, amazing amazing show. how could I ever not love a show that's first episode has a guy gain the ability to order other people to do whatever he wants, and the first thing he does is order a bunch of dudes to shoot themselves. badass.

I'm also a total sucker for "protagonist vows to do evil for the sake of justice" plots. Planet With didn't make a big splash or anything, but I still enjoyed the first episode ending with the protagonist beating the poo poo out of the leader of the super sentai hero squad, stealing the source of his transformation power, and then vowing to beat the poo poo out of the rest of them

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
code geass was fantastic. shout out to creayus for still being obsessed after all these years

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

code geass was an incredibly fun trainwreck aye

also spy x family is just top tier the latest episode had me smiling the entire way through

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
code geass was one of the most popular “original” series of the entire decade

what if char, but instead of grooming earth teens, he was the main character and used eyeball magic to do Something Extremely Wicked

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ykk getting an english release apparently

https://www.yugenykk.org/2022/02/ykk-licensed-for-english-release-well.html

https://sevenseasentertainment.com/2022/02/16/seven-seas-licenses-yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-manga-omnibus-series/

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i will never understand how YKK didn’t get an official english release until now, especially when so much dreck got put out in the manga boom ~15 years ago. lack of a readily-identifiable genre? license fee too high? who knows! it’s so drat good tho so i’m absolutely preordering it all!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's the greatest work of post-apocalyptic fiction, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's the greatest work of post-apocalyptic fiction, imo.

It’s definitely up there with Splatoon.