Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I have the GB boardgame from a few yeses ago, but haven't played it. Is it any good? I feel like it'd be like zombicide.

It's alright. It's pretty simple to play, but there's no player count scaling so you have to have exactly four characters no matter how many players you have.

Gameplay is mostly about rolling dice for high numbers to get a required number of hit points on ghosts to trap them, then dumping them into the car to get XP. The gimmick is that if you switch targets, you remove the hits on your previous target - the idea is that this represents a stream that is increasing in strength as you hold the ghost. Some enemies require more than one character to have a 'stream' to capture.

Meanwhile more ghosts spawn from 'gates' that you can close to stop the spawns.

It's really the dice rolling that drags it down. A few bad rolls in a row can completely screw the whole team. I'd love to see the same concept implemented with a Gloomhaven style card system for movement and combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Exactly.

They nearly literally killed an innocent maid in the hotel because they had little idea what they were doing. The fact that they didn't kill her, aside from being necessary in a narrative sense, was a complete accident.

We don't know if a proton beam would kill a human. Maybe it would just give her really really bad cancer?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The dude who waited for the next elevator really dodged a bullet getting dosed with however many rads those proton packs give off when booted up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ruddiger posted:

The dude who waited for the next elevator really dodged a bullet getting dosed with however many rads those proton packs give off when booted up.

Good thing Egon had Callie before starting the business.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's alright. It's pretty simple to play, but there's no player count scaling so you have to have exactly four characters no matter how many players you have.

Gameplay is mostly about rolling dice for high numbers to get a required number of hit points on ghosts to trap them, then dumping them into the car to get XP. The gimmick is that if you switch targets, you remove the hits on your previous target - the idea is that this represents a stream that is increasing in strength as you hold the ghost. Some enemies require more than one character to have a 'stream' to capture.

Meanwhile more ghosts spawn from 'gates' that you can close to stop the spawns.

It's really the dice rolling that drags it down. A few bad rolls in a row can completely screw the whole team. I'd love to see the same concept implemented with a Gloomhaven style card system for movement and combat.

You didn't mention the slime removal, oh god the slime removal.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

text me a vag pic posted:

We don't know if a proton beam would kill a human. Maybe it would just give her really really bad cancer?

Third degree burns AND really really bad cancer.

The cleaning cart is smoking after they hit it with the streams, the roll of toilet paper is very scorched, and there is a small fire (how have I never noticed the maid trying to put the fire out with a spray bottle before?!)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

text me a vag pic posted:

After the ballroom scene I'm confident in saying the victim would get super bad cancer right before they were vaporized.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So basically they could/should have shot the maid with their proton beam, which would have killed her and instantly trapped her ghost in its beam. So they roll out a trap and charge the hotel more money for capturing more ghosts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

So basically they could/should have shot the maid with their proton beam, which would have killed her and instantly trapped her ghost in its beam. So they roll out a trap and charge the hotel more money for capturing more ghosts.

They'd neutronize her; total professional reversal.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

ruddiger posted:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

That's when egon realized he was only having one kid.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

8one6 posted:

"The Ghostbusters are evil" is some real CineD brain worms poo poo.

The issue is everything has to be inherently tied to an IP to even be considered a viable idea, and the average person is picking up on that and desperately longing for original ideas by vaguely tying them to something already marketable.

Like “what if the afterlife was policed by some frightening government force” isn’t an inherently bad idea, it’s like a more anti-authoritarian take on Beetlejuice where the bureaucracy is just boring and not oppressive m. Likewise Men in Black is just Ghostbusters but with government funding.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Ghostbusters are naked ambitious capitalists' who use unlicensed dangerous technology in the middle of a crowded city and loving hate the EPA. Peter Venkman gives electric shocks to people under false pretenses so he can flirt with a student. He is a bad person.

They are not "the bad guys' because they are battling horrible monsters who want to destroy the world but they are are literally in context bad people and recognize they are bad people. It just so happens in the year 2022 it's very difficult to ignore that they are the kind of bad people who are actually going to destroy the world instead of the fun fictional kind.

I still like Ghostbusters a whole lot but "are the ghostsbusters bad" isn't brain worms, it is literally a surface-level reading that is saved by an incredibly charismatic cast and funny script. You can both enjoy something and recognize "holy poo poo" at what it says.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lol what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

*Literally* the text of the film unless you think you're supposed to think Peter Venkmen is anything but a 'game show host'

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

*Literally* the text of the film unless you think you're supposed to think Peter Venkmen is anything but a 'game show host'

Reminder our introduction to Peter is lying in an experiment to sleep with a student.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Reminder our introduction to Peter is lying in an experiment to sleep with a student.

And torturing a dude who is potentially proving his purported scientific theory just for a laugh

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finally watched Afterlife and I loved it. It's not a perfect movie, and I'm not gonna pretend it's as good as the original, but it was miles better than 2016 and I'm excited to see where they take this next.

I'm also the world's easiest mark but I was misting up a bit when Annie Potts showed up, when Ray showed up, when the proton pack fired up, when Ecto's siren went off and then full on ugly crying during the end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The ghostbusters are funny guys who shoot lasers at ghosts actually

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yeah it has been said and said again.

If anyone but Bill Murray played that role it would be an atrocity. Peter Venkman only works because of Bill Murray. You could maybe MAYBE replace Egon and Ray (but it'd be worse for it) and Ernie Hundson frigging rocks but Winston isn't given enough to do so you could theoretically swap him out too, but Venkman without Murray is the absolute worst kind of person and Ghostbusters does not work with any other actor in that role.

It is a testament to Murray's charisma and talent that he turns "weird abusive rear end in a top hat sexual predator" into one of the most beloved characters of all time.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If anyone but Bill Murray played that role it would be an atrocity. Peter Venkman only works because of Bill Murray. You could maybe MAYBE replace Egon and Ray (but it'd be worse for it) and Ernie Hundson frigging rocks but Winston isn't given enough to do so you could theoretically swap him out too, but Venkman without Murray is the absolute worst kind of person and Ghostbusters does not work with any other actor in that role.

It is a testament to Murray's charisma and talent that he turns "weird abusive rear end in a top hat sexual predator" into one of the most beloved characters of all time.

You seem to be ignoring the people posting right here who do not find Venkman as "one of the most beloved characters of all time" and are instead suggesting that the Murray/Venkman shtick hasn't aged very well.

Murray's own version of this hasn't aged especially well, either, but he tends to get a pass because he's charismatic and talented. But then again, so is Bill Cosby, and he shouldn't have been getting a pass on what he was doing for decades. Afterlife understood that enough to give us the post-movie scene where Venkman gets a taste of his own medicine.

The OG Ghostbusters aren't especially good people, they're just our comedy protagonists, so we give them the same leeway you might give to the terrible characters who are the main cast of Seinfeld or a similar sitcom. If you compare with the cast of The Real Ghostbusters, you'll find that the cartoon versions are much closer to where I think many people's memories are of the characters, for obvious reasons. But if you found someone completely ignorant of the characters or the franchise and showed them the first movie, I suspect the leeway for "weird abusive rear end in a top hat sexual predator" would be considerably smaller than it was in 1984. For example, I found the "hitting on a coed experiment" scene funny when I saw the movie at age 12, but now it doesn't seem very amusing because this sort of thing happens in real life and isn't funny at all to someone who works in a similar environment. If Venkman were the target of the humor, it'd be fine, but he isn't. That I still like the movie and Venkman doesn't mean I don't find that scene cringeworthy now.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I won't give Venkman a full throated defense, but he does reject Dana/Zuul's overture for sex and says he is confused and frightened by it. And during the credits when he goes to kiss her he deliberately holds back until she meets him half way. That being said there are aspects of the character that don't set well with me, especially jamming his face in Dana's door and asking for a kiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90SRrWfmY88&t=9s

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

No no, don't you see? Venkman is Bill Cosby!

Edit: I mean Jesus, when he asks for a kiss it's a joke, he knows she's completely uninterested in him and wasn't expecting one. It was a joke

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He gaslights her about what happened in her kitchen and only goes to “inspect” her place to try and insert himself into her life. If Ray or Egon would’ve went, they may have actually found something and got her out of the apartment.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ruddiger posted:

He gaslights her about what happened in her kitchen and only goes to “inspect” her place to try and insert himself into her life. If Ray or Egon would’ve went, they may have actually found something and got her out of the apartment.

How does he "gaslight" her about what happened in her kitchen? There was nothing in there. Definitely no animals in there. The instrument didn't pick up anything and he was pretty sure he was using it correctly. He even says he believes her.

What do you mean by "gaslight"?

She was their only client, of course he goes to inspect her apartment. Yes he wanted to get closer to her but she also paid in advance. I mean, I'm sure she expected them to come check out her apartment to see if it was haunted, she hadn't been back there in 3 days

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

“What do those instruments do exactly?”

His whole deal is he’s a confidence man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Narsham posted:

You seem to be ignoring the people posting right here who do not find Venkman as "one of the most beloved characters of all time" and are instead suggesting that the Murray/Venkman shtick hasn't aged very well.

Murray's own version of this hasn't aged especially well, either, but he tends to get a pass because he's charismatic and talented. But then again, so is Bill Cosby, and he shouldn't have been getting a pass on what he was doing for decades. Afterlife understood that enough to give us the post-movie scene where Venkman gets a taste of his own medicine.

The OG Ghostbusters aren't especially good people, they're just our comedy protagonists, so we give them the same leeway you might give to the terrible characters who are the main cast of Seinfeld or a similar sitcom. If you compare with the cast of The Real Ghostbusters, you'll find that the cartoon versions are much closer to where I think many people's memories are of the characters, for obvious reasons. But if you found someone completely ignorant of the characters or the franchise and showed them the first movie, I suspect the leeway for "weird abusive rear end in a top hat sexual predator" would be considerably smaller than it was in 1984. For example, I found the "hitting on a coed experiment" scene funny when I saw the movie at age 12, but now it doesn't seem very amusing because this sort of thing happens in real life and isn't funny at all to someone who works in a similar environment. If Venkman were the target of the humor, it'd be fine, but he isn't. That I still like the movie and Venkman doesn't mean I don't find that scene cringeworthy now.

I'm arguing the exact same thing as you.

Alan_Shore posted:

How does he "gaslight" her about what happened in her kitchen? There was nothing in there. Definitely no animals in there. The instrument didn't pick up anything and he was pretty sure he was using it correctly. He even says he believes her.

What do you mean by "gaslight"?

She was their only client, of course he goes to inspect her apartment. Yes he wanted to get closer to her but she also paid in advance. I mean, I'm sure she expected them to come check out her apartment to see if it was haunted, she hadn't been back there in 3 days

Venkman seems to have little to no idea how anything actually works. He also expresses little interest in learning how anything works. He knows the Proton Pack since it's point-and-shoot but during that scene he makes it clear he's not actually aware of what is going on.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That doesn't explain how he's "gaslighting" her though? Even if has has no idea how to use the sniffer, he does look around, believes her and says he'll fix the problem. When he next sees her he has done the research to find out who Zuul is.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

“Gaslighting” is a really loaded and incorrect term to use there. He obviously doesn’t fully believe her and is mocking her a bit, but he’s not using an abuser tactic to get her to doubt her own memory.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Venkman is probably like real life Bill Murray. There are really bad things he probably wouldn't do and lots of things that he can get away with if you find him charming but if you don't it gets the whole production shut down.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think Ghostbusters ever really hid that though and it feels like a weird conflation of the cartoon, not understanding nuance aged 6 (whenever you saw Ghostbusters) or not having an understanding of the films context or Murray's comic persona to assume that that's not part of the joke if the great Ghostbusters film (the first one). Bill Murray plays assholes who charm their way out of it- that's his thing! Did Scrooged and Groundhog Day make too much of an impact on me as a kid or something? When I first saw Ghostbusters, I think i was so young I confused Bill Murray and Phil Collins all the time.

I can't think of a film where Bill Murray hasn't just played Bill Murray at that stage of his life. Garfield maybe?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

I can't think of a film where Bill Murray hasn't just played Bill Murray at that stage of his life. Garfield maybe?

Ed Wood.

Venkman’s characterization fits right into the whole “slobs vs. snobs” style of comedy that “Animal House” made popular. The heroes being obnoxious and irresponsible was expected at that time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

I don't think Ghostbusters ever really hid that though and it feels like a weird conflation of the cartoon, not understanding nuance aged 6 (whenever you saw Ghostbusters) or not having an understanding of the films context or Murray's comic persona to assume that that's not part of the joke if the great Ghostbusters film (the first one). Bill Murray plays assholes who charm their way out of it- that's his thing! Did Scrooged and Groundhog Day make too much of an impact on me as a kid or something? When I first saw Ghostbusters, I think i was so young I confused Bill Murray and Phil Collins all the time.

If you ever watched the directors commentary, they also point out that Peter is a loser and that Dana is so strong and independent that she basically calls him out and tells him to his face he is a weirdo charlatan (my words) so the audience if they are paying attention are like yah he kinda is odd isn't he and Dana shows that she isn't really falling for the act.

Then again brining thorazine on a date...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Raleigh St Clair was quite a departure but he wasn't the focus of the story.

And then Steve Zissou went right back to Bill Murray as Bill Murray (which I loved).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

Then again brining thorazine on a date...

I always wondered if that was more Aykroyd and Ramis thinking psychologists could prescribe drugs like psychiatrists can.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So, we're agreeing that Venkman isn't a gaslighting, abusive rapist?

Thank goodness

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alan_Shore posted:

Thank goodness

Venkman was found guilty, by a jury of his peers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Thank goodness

I mean he is literally two of those things for sure. He is both abusive and gaslighting in the scene we are introduced to him. Literally. The joke is that he's giving someone electric shocks so he can flirt with a girl and is lying to both of them. He is probably not a rapist but is absolutely a sex pest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean he is literally two of those things for sure. He is both abusive and gaslighting in the scene we are introduced to him. Literally. The joke is that he's giving someone electric shocks so he can flirt with a girl and is lying to both of them. He is probably not a rapist but is absolutely a sex pest.

He literally had 300 CCs of Thorazine on hand when he went on a date. That is, roughly speaking, six times a lethal dose.

Edit: I think I'm off on my dosing estimation, it's actually larger than that. I'd guess it's due to Ramis and Aykroyd not really having a working knowledge of pharmacology (outside of all the weed, acid and cocaine they were doing).

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

So is he gaslighting the girl to make her think she's psychic, or is he gaslighting the guy by making him think he's not psychic? :monocle:

Timby posted:

He literally had 300 CCs of Thorazine on hand when he went on a date. That is, roughly speaking, six times a lethal dose.

Edit: I think I'm off on my dosing estimation, it's actually larger than that. I'd guess it's due to Ramis and Aykroyd not really having a working knowledge of pharmacology (outside of all the weed, acid and cocaine they were doing).

Hey, you don't know how much thorazine it takes to knock out a minion of Gozer