Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Silver Falcon posted:

I realize this is a very good patch and I agree with most of the changes. Something about the overall tone of those patch notes just rubs me the wrong way. It comes off as very smugly superior, and I don't like it.

Agreed it's like they have some sort of weird pride attached to playing a game, how can a Nintendo video game on the plastic child proof 3d game boy insult your intelligence, it is a toy not the childhood bullies that still haunt ur dreams homie

I do like most of those changes tho, can't hate too much on the amount of work that went into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Those effects they’re talking about really were an insult to your intelligence. It was probably the most ridiculous inclusion to the remake.

They do come off a little smug in those notes but they’re right.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah fair enough, all I'm saying is Dark souls is not to blame for "git gud" dorkery and I will die on that hill!! Those kids were like that before they laid hands upon any of myazaki's blessed creations

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the tone probably comes from wanting a port of one of your favorite games and getting one with a bunch of weird changes, most of which take away from the game

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

How is a list that says "here's all the weird changes we reverted" have anything to do with "Dark Souls get gud" or whatever lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's nice to know that Atlus does remember that the EU eShop is a thing. Picked up Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 for 5 bucks. Who knows, unlike the original on DS, I might finish it this time!

(They've got a handful of titles on sale until the 8th of May).

Looking at the options I noticed auto-mapping the floor and walls is a thing now. On one hand that's nice if you're not in the mood for some bottom screen slitherlink, but I imagine it does remove some charm from the game not to draw the map yourself.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mierenneuker posted:

Looking at the options I noticed auto-mapping the floor and walls is a thing now. On one hand that's nice if you're not in the mood for some bottom screen slitherlink, but I imagine it does remove some charm from the game not to draw the map yourself.

You can turn it off. Also advanced automap only draws floors and walls. Won't touch anything else so icons'll have to be placed yourself.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Real mappers draw the entire room before they even take more than one step into it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Culdcept Revolt is on sale, $4.99 from $29.99. It's some kind of multiplayer board game/deck builder...anyone have an opinion on it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Culdcept Revolt is on sale, $4.99 from $29.99. It's some kind of multiplayer board game/deck builder...anyone have an opinion on it?

It is amazing if you have any interest in that sort of thing whatsoever.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Gonna give it a try!

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I've been looking for Culdcept Revolt (as well as a replacement 3DS). Did you find a hard copy somewhere?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It is part of Atlus' eShop sale that ends tomorrow. At least in Europe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I've been looking for Culdcept Revolt (as well as a replacement 3DS). Did you find a hard copy somewhere?

These guys are local to me and I'm pretty sure they had a couple in the case last time I was there: https://www.estarland.com/product-description/Nintendo3DS/Culdcept-Revolt-Limited-Edition/53612

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I was taking about the eshop sale. In NA it's not tied to any other Atlus sale, and it ends tomorrow. $4.99 instead of $29.99

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The 3DS Theaterhythm Final Fantasy is half off on the US eShop for a few days, who wants to go to bat for it? I think I've heard mostly good things but I want to say they were for a version on another platform.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nah it's great. People will say it's not as good as the arcade version but it's not like most of us can even play it so you might as well play it. Curtain Call, to be specific - it's loaded with stuff and if you want the DLC songs you'll have to get them sooner rather than later.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think its on iOS too but its more expensive there

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I stumbled across the arcade version recently somehow and it loving owned but the 3DS version (Curtain Call specifically) is amazing, I played it before I played any actual FF games and have no nostalgia for any of them and even then I was still quick to call it my favorite 3DS game

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
What's better about the arcade version of Theatrhythm, more songs?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Willo567 posted:

What's better about the arcade version of Theatrhythm, more songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du1yBsnvy3k

Here's a short clip, it's a customized cabinet with buttons and sliders and it just feels so drat good to play, it might not come across in video but it's a great time

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

it’s one of the best 3DS games, OP. great rhythm game, a “can’t miss”

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
They knew what they were doing with the demo by putting in a Final Fantasy VI song specifically to entice me, but holy smokes 13k blocks :negative: Time to pull the trigger on that larger SD card I guess.

E: We're coming up on the deadline to add funds to the eShop via credit card right? I thought it was May 20-something this year.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 9, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

"As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023."

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57847/~/wii-u-%26-nintendo-3ds-eshop-discontinuation-q%26a

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

"As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023."

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57847/~/wii-u-%26-nintendo-3ds-eshop-discontinuation-q%26a

You missed the critical part;

quote:

Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until late March 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Just started a fresh run of SMT Strange Journey Redux on my Pixel 6. Whoa I had no idea 3DS emulation was so smooth on Android these days...using Citra MMJ for better performance but yeah this is nicer than on my n2DS XL mostly due to the stunning Pixel 6 screen.

Haven't tried more intensive games but I'm kind of floored at how good this is. Very tempted to give up my addiction of dedicated retro handhelds and stick to my phone + attached bluetooth controller like I should have years and years ago. Not as elegant of a form factor but the performance and versatility and screen quality are totally unmatched in the retro handheld space even today.

Anyways geting kind of off topic, posting mostly to say that I'm very excited for more SMT after SMT V

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 11, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do you play in portrait or landscape? I’d think the “top screen” would be too cramped in portrait but the “bottom screen” would be too out of the way in landscape

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm doing landscape because the game sir controller I use grips my device from the top and bottom and meant to be used in landscape. The chassis is too big/wide to lock it in on the sides. That'd be dope as hell though being able to use a Bluetooth controller in either orientation for perfect ds and 3ds emulation.

As for the screen layout itself, I have them next to each other with the main one taking up more space. Since it's an RPG having them offset doesn't bother me too much and if I really need to look closer I can swap screens by clicking my thumbstick.

You can customize the layout precisely to how you want though and resize or move each screen around however in landscape mode

I did try using it in portrait mode without my controller and the picture is a little small. But honestly it's fine too. Probably because it originally came out in the DS which had tiny screens.

Here's a screenshot for my landscape layout that seems to work well for this game:
https://ibb.co/TLwdJC1

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 11, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Good call on Theaterhythm, they included tracks from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles so obviously I'm in. Do you unlock more songs by playing through the game, or is everything else behind DLC (which I don't think I can buy right away?)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The only unlockable songs are a couple remixes original to the game, otherwise I believe everything is available from the get-go

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Has anyone else experienced crashes on their softmoded systems?
I've only seen in it Bravely Second so far, but it has 2 or 3 times I think, no idea what causes them, maybe something with the online functionality?
I'm using a N2DS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Has anyone else experienced crashes on their softmoded systems?
I've only seen in it Bravely Second so far, but it has 2 or 3 times I think, no idea what causes them, maybe something with the online functionality?
I'm using a N2DS.

Yes. Most of them related to the SD card being above 32 GB and not being formatted with the right packet size in my case.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
SMT Strange Journey Redux trip report: wow, this is such a unique and fresh entry for me after SMT III, IV, V, and Persona 3-5! I am barely in the second sector so I may regret saying this but I love how involved and drawn out the dungeons can be. I never know what to expect in each expedition, will I pop in and out and make steady progress? Will I go down a rabbit hole and clear over half a dungeon in a single sitting? Is there gonna be any side missions or plot points that lock me in weird random parts of the map??! I genuinely never loving know and this suspense along with the usual demon Pokemon gameplay is addicting as hell.

I have a feeling the game is just barely toying with me and is about to throw some really nasty poo poo my way and I am loving it.

I was sad about the lack of press turn but honestly after three mainline games and countless spin offs that use the exact same press turn system + demons + skill progression, there's only so many tricks they can throw at you and encounters/strategies felt pretty stale and repeated in SMTV. Like oh I know how to repel this boss, and yep it's using the exact same moveset it has used for over a decade of mega ten games, whatever.

The alignment system, smaller pool of skills per demon, lack of instant/easy skill inheratance, people complain that these are just the worst compared to modern entries. But in reality, to me it feels like I'm engaging in the very familiar SMT universe but in a very alien/unique way which just makes it feel fresh and fun! To be fair I've heard the DS verson is much rougher and I am definitely using QOL updates such as "no game over when MC dies" but yeah I am loving hooked.

Might try Soul Hackers next and dive even deeper into older mega ten systems/games

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 17, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
ALSO: 2D SMT games are better because everything moves faster/snappier in battle and the pictures are prettier/more stylized than 3D models. Am I crazy?! Love me some 2D mega ten, seeing my pool of demons represented with their battle sprites on the bottom screen is rad as heck

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Strange Journey is a top tier SMT game but it also takes place somewhere other than Tokyo so that alone puts it head and shoulders above most of the games

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

KingSlime posted:

ALSO: 2D SMT games are better because everything moves faster/snappier in battle and the pictures are prettier/more stylized than 3D models. Am I crazy?! Love me some 2D mega ten, seeing my pool of demons represented with their battle sprites on the bottom screen is rad as heck

No you’re correct, first person battle view is superior to what SMT 3 and 5 have going on

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm really enjoying the limitations on things like alignment and skill inheritance, It's making me experiment with demons and strategies more and I feel like I'm engaging with the battle system in a much more raw way than just mega busting the game with a perfect setup and hard countering every individual boss to oblivion.

Also, having to grind out demon sources a little bit ensures that I am constantly swapping my team during general exploration. I want those tasty demon sources!!

hatty posted:

No you’re correct, first person battle view is superior to what SMT 3 and 5 have going on

Right? I kind of also prefer 2d dragon quest battles to 3d dragon quest battles but the difference isn't as stark there and exploration in those games is much better in 3d anyways. Still, to date I think SMTIV and SMTIVA are my favorite RPGs in terms of how they "feel" to play, they could have definitely done a better job with making III and V feel "juicier"

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 17, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like Nocturne's battle system well enough but a lot of that has to do with how meaty the hits feel. When the Demifiend socks a demon you feel it

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

KingSlime posted:

SMT Strange Journey Redux trip report: wow, this is such a unique and fresh entry for me after SMT III, IV, V, and Persona 3-5! I am barely in the second sector so I may regret saying this but I love how involved and drawn out the dungeons can be. I never know what to expect in each expedition, will I pop in and out and make steady progress? Will I go down a rabbit hole and clear over half a dungeon in a single sitting? Is there gonna be any side missions or plot points that lock me in weird random parts of the map??! I genuinely never loving know and this suspense along with the usual demon Pokemon gameplay is addicting as hell.

Give us an update when you're at sector Eridanus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mierenneuker posted:

Give us an update when you're at sector Eridanus!

Arid Anus