Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sprue posted:

Welcome welcome. I look forward to the 15 daily fresh posts, watching the number slowly climb everytime I open the app throughout the day but waiting til I'm lying down in bed at the end of the day to crack open the thread and take a long cold sip of neet *aaaahhh~*

that's the way, manga alla neeto
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Samuel Glompers posted:

drat I finally caught up again

Now I'm stuck waiting for updates at neet speed like you suckers

Sprue posted:

Welcome welcome. I look forward to the 15 daily fresh posts, watching the number slowly climb everytime I open the app throughout the day but waiting til I'm lying down in bed at the end of the day to crack open the thread and take a long cold sip of neet *aaaahhh~*

"By all means, sirs. Have another. On the house."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oda about to go galaxy brain here.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Xenocides posted:

The manga about Nancy defies all the conventions. It is about a 2,000 year old half-dragon half-demon trapped in the body of an adult woman. It didn’t sell well.

Nah, he goes the other way with it and has a child trapped in the body of an adult woman. Like Kes from Star Trek Voyager. Or that short story by Chuck Palahniuk.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Stinkin Thinkin

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

NEET is my ADHD.

Oda is my adderall.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Samuel Glompers posted:

Stinkin Thinkin

He certainly knows how to dilly dally

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Give him a good slap, Oda, he needs some discipline.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

BigBadSteve posted:

Give him a good slap, Oda, he needs some discipline.

Surely a Kancho would be more appropriate.

Millionaire Monday
Oct 4, 2021

The Daily Life of a
Certain (Ex-Con) Millionaire
begins!

edit: New version because I was dissatisfied with my original translation.

Old version is in the quote below.

quote:

NANCY-CHAN! :eyepop:

Like Sister Make mentioned earlier, Nancy is vaguely foreign (her speaking is entirely rendered in katakana). So part of the fun of translating for her is coming up with broken English that's appropriate.

Millionaire Monday fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 31, 2022

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Lmao the heart eyes

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Isn't she from Thailand? I think I remember that from way back when.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
better think quick and make this conversation less rude. Tell him you're going to become a pro Curler

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
THINK HARDER AND FASTER ABOUT THINKING

It's the only way.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The Alchemist posted:

Im gonna become a professional athlete, not sure which sports yet though. Im barely even 30 years old so its fine, right?

thread continues to NEET-think upsettingly well

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Millionaire Monday posted:

NANCY-CHAN! :eyepop:

Like Sister Make mentioned earlier, Nancy is vaguely foreign (her speaking is entirely rendered in katakana). So part of the fun of translating for her is coming up with broken English that's appropriate.

Go on, is the vague innuendo about "coming now" and "oh yesss" present in the Japanese? And is it done with similar language?

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grevling posted:

Isn't she from Thailand? I think I remember that from way back when.

I always assumed she was a Japanese-American or Japanese Brazilian who had moved to Japan.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Localized version:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Brother Make posted:

Localized version:

Go already is localised as a name though, and especially these days is well-known.

Although I guess you could go with Othello (or even Reversi) for maximum lol.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I also assume we're localizing FPS and they're really saying "Doom-clone". Please don't correct me.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
You cannot possibly click on a button faster than other people.

Give up.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
FPS games take years to learn and decades to master. You should choose something that is more based on luck and button smashing, like RTS for example.

Millionaire Monday
Oct 4, 2021

The Daily Life of a
Certain (Ex-Con) Millionaire
begins!

simplefish posted:

Go on, is the vague innuendo about "coming now" and "oh yesss" present in the Japanese? And is it done with similar language?

The original language is not sexual. Nancy announces 「キテルヨ」(kiteru yo). Kiteru is the progressive tense of the verb kuru, "to come", so "I am coming" is the appropriate translation. Oda replies in English, 「オウ、イエース。」(ou, ieesu.) "ohh, yeess!"

The "pop out" comes from ヒョコ (hyoko), a sound effect word meaning "peeking" or "poking out". It's most often used when some one is peeking from around a corner or suddenly shows up out of no where.

So I hammed it up a little bit translating it in to English. My intention wasn't to make innuendo, but in this instance it was kind of unavoidable. :shrug:

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
After that, Tohru tried to do something, but didn't

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

when you start having negative thoughts about all the negative thinking you do

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Positive vs negative thinking did not click with me in therapy because I was more concerned with acknowledging "reality" so my therapist told me to focus on productive vs unproductive thinking and that helped. It becomes harder to dwell on bad things when you're pushing the thoughts away because they don't have utility. But I also don't work at a gas station. I dont think I could avoid negative feelings in a loving gas station, even as a customer

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

After that, NEET tried to do something, but didn't

Thread title?
Just changed Tohru to NEET

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

simplefish posted:

Go already is localised as a name though, and especially these days is well-known.

Although I guess you could go with Othello (or even Reversi) for maximum lol.

I’m not quite sure what Amanuma is going for there. “Don’t try to be a Japanese pro gamer in [American dominated field]. It’s like trying to be the best at [hugely Japanese dominated board games] now.”

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's more the fact that chess grandmasters all start when they're six or seven and your brain just isn't even going to be able to form the necessary pathways at this point

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I feel the artist might be projecting a bit here.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I sure hope Tony doesn't do anything stupid!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

I sure hope Tony doesn't do anything stupid!

luckily he is in japan so a mass shooting is unlikely

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

big cummers ONLY posted:

Positive vs negative thinking did not click with me in therapy because I was more concerned with acknowledging "reality" so my therapist told me to focus on productive vs unproductive thinking and that helped. It becomes harder to dwell on bad things when you're pushing the thoughts away because they don't have utility. But I also don't work at a gas station. I dont think I could avoid negative feelings in a loving gas station, even as a customer

I mean it sort of strikes me as telling a depressed person to just try being happy. Your brain doesnt work that way. There's no button you can push to turn off negative thoughts if you're in a cycle of them. You can certainly learn to acknowledge that they're negative and unhelpful, but that won't make you just stop having them.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Totally but the point is to recognize and consciously redirect. It's a skill that feels almost impossible at first but you get better at it as you practice. You still have negative and depressing thoughts but you get better at moving past them and doing/thinking things that don't make you spiral into depression paralysis

Sorry for this depression derail. The connection to tohru is tenous at best

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean it sort of strikes me as telling a depressed person to just try being happy. Your brain doesnt work that way. There's no button you can push to turn off negative thoughts if you're in a cycle of them. You can certainly learn to acknowledge that they're negative and unhelpful, but that won't make you just stop having them.

It is more about dealing with them than just trying to mentally turn them off. For some in depressive spirals medication helps blunt them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

big cummers ONLY posted:

Totally but the point is to recognize and consciously redirect. It's a skill that feels almost impossible at first but you get better at it as you practice. You still have negative and depressing thoughts but you get better at moving past them and doing/thinking things that don't make you spiral into depression paralysis

Sorry for this depression derail. The connection to tohru is tenous at best

Xenocides posted:

It is more about dealing with them than just trying to mentally turn them off. For some in depressive spirals medication helps blunt them.

Oh yeah I wasn't saying therapy can't help in any regards, just the phrasing was surprisingly accurate for very unhelpful friends and family when you're struggling with anxiety/depression/etc. There are absolutely tools that can help and gradual ways to redirect your focus into other areas of your life that ultimately improve your mental health I didn't mean to imply there weren't, sorry if I was unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Oda's "snap out of it man" definitely had that energy. Oda is also the kind of person who could cure his own chronic depression by yelling at himself to snap out of it, though