Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brawnfire posted:

If it were just a theme party and not a life event, go for it

Hold on, gotta pencil in "lights out funeral" into my will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hold on, gotta pencil in "lights out funeral" into my will.

Have a Ted Danson impersonator come in, straighten a photograph of you on a wall of your life's memorabilia, then turn out the lights and walk out. Begin funeral.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, Lord.
AITA for having a 'lights out' wedding?

What's an FDH?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

koshmar posted:

What's an FDH?

I have the awful suspicion it stands for “Future Dear Husband.”

Because they can’t say “fiancé” or “Pnurtis” or something.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Blue Moonlight posted:

I have the awful suspicion it stands for “Future Dear Husband.”

Because they can’t say “fiancé” or “Pnurtis” or something.

I think you're right, and now I hate everyone involved.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Wife is considering leaving me over difference of opinion

quote:

My wife (29F) is saying she isn’t sure she wants to stay with me after this.

I (32M) grew up with a stay at home mom, and honestly I think more kids deserve to. When I was dating my now wife I told her this. She told me she never wanted to do that because she worked very hard to get her job and if that was a dealbreaker we should call it off now. I thought about it, but decided no I didn’t want to call it off. We got married three years ago.

Well, we did discuss a compromise and since her company gives good maternity leave (for the US anyway) and with vacation time saved up she would be able to take a year. I thought within that timeframe I could convince her it would be better to quit and stay home. We were about to stop her birth control and start trying and I mentioned exactly that. My wife was upset. She said she made it clear while we were dating she never planned to do that, and the fact I thought that I could manipulate her otherwise was upsetting.

I said I couldn’t help but feel like she was being selfish by not putting kids before her job. She said if it was so important why didn’t I quit, she makes more anyway. That’s always been a bit of a sore spot for me, and just repeated she was being selfish. She said the only person being selfish was me, but not to worry about it. I wasn’t sure what that was supposed to mean, but we stopped talking then.

Yesterday she said she was going to stay on her birth control and she needed time to consider if she wanted to stay married to someone who misled her by saying it wasn’t an issue then trying to force the subject later. She left and is staying with her brother's family.

How can I talk to her so she’ll see that I can’t help but be disappointed she isn’t even willing to consider staying home?

Update-I‘m not a misogynist, my opinion on a mother staying home might not be popular but it doesn’t make it wrong. I did not try to manipulate my wife, I was merely hopeful she’d come around to the idea I don’t know why people are writing their own narrative for this. As for why I don't quit, it’s not generally acceptable in our area to be a stay at home dad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

"You need you quit your job and raise the theoretical kids otherwise you are being selfish"

"I make more money then you, how about you do it?"

"I can't believe how selfish you are"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm not trying to manipulate her, just force her to change her deeply held views at all costs!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my wife was able to take almost 6 weeks off for this child. (!!!!)

:blastu: gently caress that guy and his wife

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Brosef is going to pop a vein when someone points out that Stay At Home Dads are, in fact, a thing.

In fact I hope he pops a vein anyway. "She said she didn't want to do this when we were dating, but I figured I'd be able to convince her otherwise." :vd:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

Thankfully he was too stupid to wait until AFTER the pregnancy.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

""a difference of opinion""

I vote to rip this man's nuts off

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This. She wins the award for “oh poo poo I narrowly dodged that” category.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I tHoUgHt I cOuLd ChAnGe HeR mInD.

I like how her making more money than him is a sore spot. Probably because if the tables were reversed, she'd be forced to do what he wants, since he is the Man of the House and makes all the money.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Brosef is going to pop a vein when someone points out that Stay At Home Dads are, in fact, a thing.

In fact I hope he pops a vein anyway. "She said she didn't want to do this when we were dating, but I figured I'd be able to convince her otherwise." :vd:

"As for why I don't quit, it’s not generally acceptable in our area to be a stay at home dad."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Especially in our nu-america

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Batterypowered7 posted:

"As for why I don't quit, it’s not generally acceptable in our area to be a stay at home dad."
"Oh no, what will the neighbors think :qq:"

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Reminds me of the story where the guy got this girl pregnant and insisted on her keeping it even though she repeatedly stressed that she had no intention of being a mother, or being with him long term. So he agreed to raise the baby by himself thinking she would bond with the baby and morph into a Christian housewife.

Then he got mad when she immediately hit the bricks after the birth and paid more than the necessary amount of child support to be left alone. Like, he was trying to get the Court to force her to stay with the baby because it was harder than he thought.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grammarchist posted:

Reminds me of the story where the guy got this girl pregnant and insisted on her keeping it even though she repeatedly stressed that she had no intention of being a mother, or being with him long term. So he agreed to raise the baby by himself thinking she would bond with the baby and morph into a Christian housewife.

Then he got mad when she immediately hit the bricks after the birth and paid more than the necessary amount of child support to be left alone. Like, he was trying to get the Court to force her to stay with the baby because it was harder than he thought.

First he mislead her into agreeing to give birth and then give the baby up for adoption, then reneged on that, then came the child support and him whining about how hard it was to raise a kid.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Grammarchist posted:

I don't think he wanted her to be a Christian housewife, he just thought she would change her mind once the baby was born and they'd be one happy family despite her saying she didn't want to raise children. Instead he's basically raising a kid by himself and with what help his parents can give him while he's going "But why would a woman not want to be a mom?!"

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Grammarchist posted:

That's one of my all-time favourite stories! The fact that he calls her a "deadbeat mum" because she did exactly what she said she was going to do.... :kiss:

Edit to add some content!

AITA for refusing to pay for girl’s wig after she shaved it because of me?

quote:

There’s this girl that lives in my uni halls, we’re not roommates but we are flatmates. Let’s name her Kaya (F, 19). I (F, 19) met her in September when we started university and moved into halls. We’re not best friends but we are friendly. We don’t really spend much time together.

Over time, my friends noticed that Kaya tried to copy me in everything. It started slowly, accessories and some clothes. Nothing major. I didn’t even notice until people started pointing it out to me. I have a rather distinct style and she started copying it. I don’t owe the style and she’s free to wear what she likes but it’s the exact same copies of my outfits which is very odd.

But then, it started going further. I dyed my hair, she dyed her hair, I bought something for my room, she bought the same thing. I started chatting with a guy, she became obsessed with that guy to a point that whenever I had a male friend or guy I was interested in over, she would go out of her way to try and get their attention, coming down to the kitchen in nothing but a towel (she never used to do it), etc. And she would do anything to attract attention. Now, don’t get me wrong, I couldn’t care less if the guy was looking and even if it was my boyfriend looking, I’d have a beef with him not her but the blatant attention seeking behaviour was just odd. I joined societies and sports and after she found out, she joined the same ones I did. Basically, everything I do, she copies eventually. It’s just really creepy but I haven’t said anything, I wouldn’t even know what to say.

Over the Easter break, my friend and I were at my family house, a bit drunk and decided to test out whether Kaya really copies everything I do. I made a post on social media about shaving my head. My friend does hairdressing and she helped me out faking shaved head and I posted a photo with shaved head.

I deleted the photo few days later and forgot about this whole thing. After easter break was over, we had uni exams and I was focusing on that. Imagine my shock when I came back and Kaya had shaved head. And she was pissed when she saw me. She started shouting how I lied to her and why would I do that. She went on and on and on, really angry. Admittedly, I ignored her and hid in my room. She sent me a text telling me that she expects me to pay for her wig as it’s my fault she shaved her head. I replied that absolutely not, that it was not my fault and she decided on her own to do that. She kept attacking me over it every time I saw her (it’s been a few days since I came back from easter break). My exams start tomorrow and yesterday I received an e-mail from my university, asking me for a meeting over the issue. She REPORTED me to uni over something she’s done. I am genuinely confused, was I really in the wrong. AITA for pretending to shave my head and refusing to pay for her wig?

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 9, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mx. posted:

""a difference of opinion""

I vote to rip this man's nuts off

The people with lovely opinions always phrase it like that, too.

"I'm being tossed out of my friend group for a simple difference of opinion" then it turns out they're sexist, racist, etc.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Found it!

[NM] I got a girl pregnant and she wanted to get an abortion but I didn't want that. She ended up not getting one but now she is not involved at all

quote:

We weren't in a serious relationship when she got pregnant. She has never met our son. Even after the birth she had no desire to see him. We went to court to figure custody and support could be figured out and I have 100% full legal and physical custody. Her name is on the birth certificate but she has no custody and no right to visitation or to make things like medical or education decisions. She didn't want any of that. Every month she pays 125% of the court ordered child support. She says that if I ever marry someone who wants to adopt him she will agree but until then she'll pay support. It's been this way since our son was born.

I'm raising our son all on my own. He is 18 months old now and he has never met her and I don't even have any photos of her even. I am burned out and hate being a single parent. I love my son but I resent him. My family tries to help when they can but I do it most of the time. I would never hurt or neglect him but I am exhausted all the time. I tried to go to court to give her split custody but because she wanted an abortion and I didn't and she made it clear she would never be involved after the birth, and because we went to court when he was 6 months old but because we already went after he was born and agreed on things and now she pays more support than is court ordered the judge said he can't force her to look after him. I haven't seen her in almost a year and the last I heard she has a tummy tuck and laser stretch marks treatment and is working at a gym. She also told her friends and family she is an egg donor and not a mother. She is a deadbeat mom and the court won't do anything and is forcing me to struggle as a single parent. Do I have any legal remedies here?

OP posted:

I never thought that she could turn her back on her own child. I honestly thought she would bond during the pregnancy and would eventually change her mind. Even if she turned down my offer to be in a relationship I never thought she would actually abandon him without a thought and without seeing him or even trying to know his name or sex. She was so drugged up during the birth that I don't even think she knows if he was born before or after midnight. I didn't expect it to go like this to be honest.

OP posted:

She is a deadbeat. She doesn't have anything to do with him and has left me to do everything as a single parents. I want to know if I have any legal options to make her help parent the child she helped create.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Another one of these where no matter how many times I read it, I still want to inject it directly into my veins

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Found it!

[NM] I got a girl pregnant and she wanted to get an abortion but I didn't want that. She ended up not getting one but now she is not involved at all

I would bet a $100 this guy votes Republican

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Evil Willow posted:

That's one of my all-time favourite stories! The fact that he calls her a "deadbeat mum" because she did exactly what she said she was going to do.... :kiss:

Edit to add some content!

I swear this one is familiar, but I think there's been a few stories of 'crazy roommate/acquaintance copies literally everything I do, and throws a tantrum when they get bluffed into doing something stupid'. Nearly always women for whatever reason.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Wasn't there one of those what the target faked a new expensive hobby (maybe something horsey?) and the copycat went right along with it?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

there was a dude that copied me for a while in highschool. a decade later he came out as gay so in retrospect i think he just had a crush on me based on that and other ways he treated me but it was extremely annoying at the time

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 9, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not giving my sister breast milk for her unborn baby?

quote:

I (F 31) have a 6 mo baby (my second kid). We had quite a bit of trouble nursing this time around so I am exclusively pumping milk for this kid- 20 min four times every day. Side note: pumping totally sucks (no pun intended) I feel like a cow and have been experiencing “nursing aversion” (BAA) which basically means I get a surge of negative hormones every time I start lactating and I get super angry. My older sister had a lot of trouble conceiving, but is finally 6 mo pregnant w a baby girl. She is busy prepping for the pregnancy she’s been dreaming about for YEARS. About a week ago she asked me for some of my breast milk to make SOAP for her unborn baby. She read something about caring for sensitive newborn skin and is worried her daughter will inherit her own skin issues (nothing medical, just very sensitive). She wants 12 oz of milk. For those who don’t know, that’s so much breast milk. Like, 2 entire meals for my son and takes 2 entire pumping sessions to produce. Because I hate confrontation I waited a few days to tell her No, I would not give her any milk. I need it to feed my kid. She is now furious w me and complaining to our mom and other sister how I’m being selfish and unsupportive in her miracle pregnancy. So, AITA here?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Evil Willow posted:

I would love to sit in on that meeting to hear precisely how it's OPs fault she shaved her head.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Evil Willow posted:

OP needs to get a restraining order stat, or at least before Kaya decides to make an OP skin suit.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my fiancée to stop wearing her old wedding ring?

quote:

Throwaway, trying to keep it short

I'm (31 M) engaged to 'Ellie' (30 F) and we're getting married later this year. Ellie's been married before, and she still wears her old wedding ring on her right hand. I thought it was awkward before but didn't really care much, but recently I've realized that it's kind of weird for her to keep wearing a ring from her ex when she's getting married to me. It's not like she wears the ring sometimes, she's always wearing it, like how some people have necklaces or bracelets they always wear. I spoke to her about it and said she can wear whatever jewelry she wants but she should stop wearing her old wedding ring. She actually went as far as to say she'll wear the ring on our wedding day since she wears it everywhere and we had a argument, after which she said that she'll take it off for the ceremony but may put it back on for the reception afterwards. She said I was being petty over "just a ring" and it's "just a sentiment", to which I replied that it's literally a ring from her ex husband who she was married to for barely a year - I think I have the right to not want her to wear it. It's not like it's just a normal ring from a friend or something. Both my parents and Ellie's agree that it's weird for her to wear her ex's ring, but her sister called me a dick for not respecting her choices, so AITA?

So that sounds fair enough, right? Sure! Until........

OP posted:

Yeah we've had this conversation before. She says it's sentimental to her because it's a memory of her first husband and their baby (they were both in an accident, he passed, she was pregnant at the time and lost the baby). I didn't mind her wearing it because of this (although she was in the very early stages of pregnancy) but now we're getting married I think it's disrespectful if she wears it all the time, especially at our wedding.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

gently caress off, that's not her ex husband it's her late husband

why is there so many scum on this earth

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not doing anything when my husband chased his parents out of our house?

quote:

Context: My (F35) and husband (35) met 10 years ago at a mutual friend’s wedding.

When we were starting into the relationship, I told him that since young, I have always wanted to adopt children with the person I am getting married to and if he didn’t want that then it would be best for us to be not together. He just smiled, kissed my forehead, and whole heartedly agreed to it. He proposed to me 3 years into our relationship, and we happily got married a year later.

2 years after we got married, we decided it would be the right time to go ahead with the plan and adopt a child. We were going to adopt 1 child, but things happened, and we ended up adopting a pair of twins, who lost their parents in an accident. My husband and I could not bear to separate the siblings and we felt a close bond with the kids after spending some time with them. They eventually became the very reason we live and love them with all our heart.

Last year I got pregnant and gave birth to my biological child in late January this year. We have this tradition called the 100 days celebration, so we invited all our relatives to the house in the evening for a ceremony.

Of course, my MIL and FIL came too. She never once visited when we adopted our first 2 children, but she also was not against us adopting so we didn’t really care much. Before you guys ask why we didn’t have a welcome ceremony for our older 2 children, we slowly introduced them to our family members so that they wouldn’t feel overwhelmed.

After the ceremony, both MIL and FIL pulled husband and I aside to ask us questions that had my blood boiling, I have never been this angry in my whole life. The questions being “Now that you have your own child, do you still want to keep those 2 kids, I mean one of them is disabled, do you think you will have time for your own child? Don’t you think you should focus more on your own child?” and before I could react, my husband yelled at them, the sheer loudness shocked me. I have never seen him that angry in my life.

He told his mother that all 3 are his children, to get the gently caress out of the house and never ever come back. The love of my life was literally trembling with anger. They left without saying another word, probably from the shock too. My husband took both kids back to our room, hugged them and cried.

After everyone we called it a night, my MIL called me asked why I had not done anything to prevent my husband from chasing them out. I told her that he did the right thing. If my parents had said the same thing, I would have done the same thing. She said I was an rear end in a top hat for not stopping him and that I was pitting him against her? I cut the call and went back to the room where my husband was just hugging the children, pecked him and fell asleep beside him. I am so proud of my husband. But on the other side am I the rear end in a top hat for not stopping him?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my fiancée to stop wearing her old wedding ring?

So that sounds fair enough, right? Sure! Until........

OOP posted:

Yeah we've had this conversation before. She says it's sentimental to her because it's a memory of her first husband and their baby (they were both in an accident, he passed, she was pregnant at the time and lost the baby). I didn't mind her wearing it because of this (although she was in the very early stages of pregnancy) but now we're getting married I think it's disrespectful if she wears it all the time, especially at our wedding.

Acid vat eternity. gently caress. This. Guy.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not doing anything when my husband chased his parents out of our house?

THIS husband is a good husband and a good father.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Disrespectful, so I put my foot down. Acting entitled by being so ungrateful.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for blowing up on my husband after he told me why he didn't get me a mothers' day gift?

quote:

I lost my son at the age of 7 few months ago due to illness. my husband is his stepdad. grief is still pretty much raw for me but I make sure I don't bother others with my "burden" although my husband has been saying that I've become lazy and neglectful towards home chores, work etc etc. he's partially right but those who have been in my place know how hard it is just to get out of bed these days.

This is my first mothers' day without my son. The hurt is at highest. I went out for a walk and came home to find that a lot of family and close friends sent gifts to me to cheer me up. Some gifts were like momentos which really touched my hard. My husband came home an hour ago and excitedly showed him what everyone sent for me for mothers' day. He made a face and said that that was nice. I noticed that he didn't bring anything but I asked just to make sure. he told me he intended to not bring a mothers' day gift, I asked why and he saie didn't feel like I should hear it but I insisted. He nonchantly told me that it's because he thought I'm no longer a mother. I was baffled by this response I blew up on him but he told me he meant this "technically". I asked if he thought that I can no longer call myself a mother just because my son passed. He said no but what he meant to say is that these circumstances are different and refused to expand on his argument. I started a big fight with him about it and he went upstairs after saying that I was lashing out at him for no reason and that I should control my temper and has been staying there so far.

I don't know if I went too far here but it seems like I did because he's so upset and refusing to come downstairs and speak to me. AITA?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Soylent Pudding posted:

lmao what is this? In no universe is this person wondering if they are the rear end in a top hat. Also why did they take the call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mx. posted:

gently caress off, that's not her ex husband it's her late husband

why is there so many scum on this earth

you're reading a thread that specifically selects for scum, remember