Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just want the thread title to be changed to #MomsForMorbius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

For Dr Strange I did enjoy that they Basically got right in with the Wanda stuff from the start. I immediately noticed her slip up in naming America and was pleasantly surprised.

The trailers intentionally made it look like she'd start off okay and then get corrupted later in the film, constantly fighting against it like we've seen with Phoenix in the X-Men films, so this was a nice surprise and a refreshing change

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol the third act of Dr Strange was delightfully deranged. Grinning all the way thru it. Peak Marvel.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I will say one EXTREMELY disappointing thing about Dr. Strange - where the heck is Ted Raimi????

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I wish they had allowed more horror/comedy. The obvious raimi parts were the best parts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shageletic posted:

Lol the third act of Dr Strange was delightfully deranged. Grinning all the way thru it. Peak Marvel.
It was also peak Raimi

Only in a Raimi film would we have a climax where the main character uses dark magic to possess the corpse of an alternate version of himself, who then flies around with a cape made out of dark spirits

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm really glad Wong is still sorcerer supreme. I didn't think they'd kill him off or anything but I fully expected him to pass the torch back by the end of the movie

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wong is a good character. As

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mr Hootington posted:

I wish they had allowed more horror/comedy. The obvious raimi parts were the best parts.

I was hooting when Strange revealed he was going to dreamwalk into the body of the dead alternate universe Doctor Strange. Supposedly Raimi didn't have a lot of say in the script, but there is no way that wasn't his idea.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

For Dr Strange I did enjoy that they Basically got right in with the Wanda stuff from the start. I immediately noticed her slip up in naming America and was pleasantly surprised.
That may have been my favorite use of that trope ever, just for how self-aware it was. Wanda says "America", Strange immediately stops dead in his tracks

"You didn't--"
"I didn't say her name, no"

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

theironjef posted:

Oh nice, for Mother's Day, Morbius will be available nine days after Mother's Day!

At least they're consistent with their release dates

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

I’m going to die on this hill but Dr Strange 2 Electric Boogaloo of Madness is my favourite Marvel Film.

I’m not a die hard Raimi fan but seeing every tool from his bag of weird low budget horror tricks did something for me.

Highly stylised. Felt like Captain America 2 in the sense that it felt like it had its own feel born from a genre specific approach.

You may now cancel me for my heinous and villainous opinion but I genuinely enjoyed every second

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Medullah posted:

I will say one EXTREMELY disappointing thing about Dr. Strange - where the heck is Ted Raimi????

OK, I'm not 100% sure about this, but after Wanda assaults Kamartaj, there's a brief moment in the aftermath where a badly injured wizard is screaming and mugging desperately to the camera while dragging himself across the ground before Wanda turns him to ash with red magic, and I think that was Ted Raimi. It was a very Ted Raimi moment.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I might have gone to the bathroom when they did but they explain the Big green cow dude at any point?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Opopanax posted:

I might have gone to the bathroom when they did but they explain the Big green cow dude at any point?

Nope!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i know i saw him in the comics, but i do not remember where

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Soonmot posted:

i know i saw him in the comics, but i do not remember where

his name is Rintrah, he worked for the guy that fixed the cloak of levitation and eventually became Strange's apprentice in the late eighties/early nineties.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

CaptainApathyUK posted:

The trailers intentionally made it look like she'd start off okay and then get corrupted later in the film, constantly fighting against it like we've seen with Phoenix in the X-Men films, so this was a nice surprise and a refreshing change

I had avoided all the spoilers, other than the obvious character reveal in the trailer, and was totally surprised by Wanda heel turning right away. I thought she was going to team up with Strange, have good cop/bad cop adventures, fight the real big bad and learn a lesson about using power responsibly. When they were talking in the orchard I found it odd how Strange said the blossoms smelled real but when Wanda said America's name I went "Oh poo poo..." Then she just drops the act and reveals the hellscape.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Please do more films Sami Rami. I forgive you for Spiderman 3 :v:

my god I loved every second of this film. I was just grinning ear to ear.

Also that was ShumaGortah right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shindragon posted:

Technically no because they don't own the name.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Shindragon posted:

Yes-ish. Basically yes, Marvel doesn’t have the rights to call him that (he’s tied to Conan’s licensing) so all toys and promotional materials call him Gargantos, but functionally that was the MCU Shuma.

That also means the first demon that kills Defender Strange and almost gets America and which looked identical to Cobweb from the comics was likely Cobweb, which is one hell of a deep cut.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah makes sense, still it was pretty cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Overall, I really, really liked the movie, but I'm more bent out of shape by America's portrayal than Wanda's. Taking a very proactive queer character from the comics and basically stripping out any queerness from her (wearing a pin that even straight allies wear is not representation) and also making her basically a scared kid so Strange can get some surrogate dad feels is very very blah. And, like, you could get to the same ending while having her be more true to the comics: Have her deal with all her problems by punching them. She beats Shuma-Gorath in the scene in NY after Wong and Strange soften it up, maybe she catches the lamp-post Strange yeets and uses it to give the killing blow. And then her arc is about using her heart/head instead of her fists to solve problems, Strange having to constantly pull her back from trying to fight and getting herself killed (bonus points if you tie this to losing her moms and her trying to commit suicide by Scarlet Witch). Culminating in the same climax where she realises she can't fight Wanda, but needs to give her what she thinks she wants in order to beat her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Overall, I really, really liked the movie, but I'm more bent out of shape by America's portrayal than Wanda's. Taking a very proactive queer character from the comics and basically stripping out any queerness from her (wearing a pin that even straight allies wear is not representation) and also making her basically a scared kid so Strange can get some surrogate dad feels is very very blah. And, like, you could get to the same ending while having her be more true to the comics: Have her deal with all her problems by punching them. She beats Shuma-Gorath in the scene in NY after Wong and Strange soften it up, maybe she catches the lamp-post Strange yeets and uses it to give the killing blow. And then her arc is about using her heart/head instead of her fists to solve problems, Strange having to constantly pull her back from trying to fight and getting herself killed (bonus points if you tie this to losing her moms and her trying to commit suicide by Scarlet Witch). Culminating in the same climax where she realises she can't fight Wanda, but needs to give her what she thinks she wants in order to beat her.
They barely had any time in the movie to get into her background, minus that one part where we see her memories

I would expect that the next time she shows up they will go more into her identity

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, its not my top movie, but MoM is totally in my top 5. I read back and a lot of what I thought has been said but lol I cannot get over how the story line this sets up is Children's Crusade.

The biggest thing I had to accept though was this wasn't Comics America, who calls Kate princess and tells older heros to get stuffed, but she's going to be there someday. But now i want America, Kate and Yelana together in something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gaz-L posted:

She's baby America. She's not badass confident "I know how my powers work and I have been literally everywhere and I am so much worldlier than you, I am the the ultimate avatar of That Cool Girl From The Big City" America yet. If she was chucking lampposts through Shuma-Gorath's eye now, it wouldn't be cool when she eventually does the big thing in Young Avengers.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

She also had a bunch of queer slogans written all over her jacket in Sharpie. In the scene where she was lying on that plinth thing, the phrase "Amor es Amor" is super prominent, for example.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I just want a Golden Girls-esque sitcom with Kate, Yelena, and America. Clint can be their bumbling landlord or something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Give us the Young Avengers already

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I just want a Golden Girls-esque sitcom with Kate, Yelena, and America. Clint can be their bumbling landlord or something.

Clint's a good dad. He'd make sure Kate has enough arrows and then tell them to not stay out too late.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

theironjef posted:

She also had a bunch of queer slogans written all over her jacket in Sharpie.
...Diversity win? :kiddo:

I'll admit, another one of the reasons I was disappointed with the conclusion of this film is that I had thought, maybe foolishly, that this movie would bring us a tiny step closer to having Billy and Tommy fully realized in the MCU...and yet, what actually ended up happening is that the ending here seemed to move us even further from that goal. At this point there's basically no hint as to when it would happen at all, barring some wild speculative theorycrafting about the Agatha show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also in a sitcom like setting Yelena is like the cat that keeps bringing home dead birds

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

...Diversity win? :kiddo:

I'll admit, another one of the reasons I was disappointed with the conclusion of this film is that I had thought, maybe foolishly, that this movie would bring us a tiny step closer to having Billy and Tommy fully realized in the MCU...and yet, what actually ended up happening is that the ending here seemed to move us even further from that goal. At this point there's basically no hint as to when it would happen at all, barring some wild speculative theorycrafting about the Agatha show.
I mean…I don’t know if that’s the case when there is now a character that can travel between universes and the film establishes that the two kids exist in alternate universes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have to wait a bit to age them up because those child actors are awful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re barely characters lol. I don’t want more of them

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean…I don’t know if that’s the case when there is now a character that can travel between universes and the film establishes that the two kids exist in alternate universes
Eh, wouldn't be the same. I'd want the Wiccan and Speed that are actually our Wanda's children, who definitively belong in the "616." Besides, I think it would be very weird for America to go and drag some random kids from other universes into ours considering the whole film was about how Wanda probably shouldn't do that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, wouldn't be the same. I'd want the Wiccan and Speed that are actually our Wanda's children, who definitively belong in the "616." Besides, I think it would be very weird for America to go and drag some random kids from other universes into ours considering the whole film was about how Wanda probably shouldn't do that.

I mean

Billy and Tommy's souls are sent to the past after being unmade and grow up in different families

there's no reason they can't do the same here

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah it's not like the comics version is any less complicated

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

They have to wait a bit to age them up because those child actors are awful.

:amen:

I mean, child actors are rarely good so I don't want to be too hard on them but uh... on the off-chance they don't just recast with slightly older kids before the inevitable YA movie/series (which is what I predict will happen), Disney better shell out for some acting classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Billy and Tommy's souls are sent to the past after being unmade and grow up in different families

there's no reason they can't do the same here
My point is that I had expected -- probably from my own false expectations -- to see some hint or tease of that in this film, but there was none. So at this point we just have no inkling of when this particular plot thread is going to happen, if at all.