Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

someone's gotta go check on chuck

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 01, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

riderchop posted:

the thing i like about rae the doe is how relatable it is

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Berri

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/8/02

Brenda Starr 9/13-15/48

Smokey Stover 10/19/47

Everyday Movies 2/18/35

"There now, Ming Chow, aren't you glad I made you put on your nice warm coat?"

(it used to be traditional to give Pekingeses Chinese, or at least pseudo-Chinese, names)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Spring Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

We’ve entered a run of pages I think look pretty good. I wish I always felt like I was hitting my marks but I don’t, sometimes I’m just scraping by. But this was a period where I felt like I was getting somewhere. I don’t really measure my drawing against anybody else’s, so I’m always floundering in the dark. Good weeks and bad weeks!

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

The_Other posted:

Solver Spring Special

Claire you went to loving LSE what did you expect? Anyway, get through the first year and transfer. Or, hell, drop out after the end of the first year, take a gap year, go back through UCAS and go to UoE, UEA, ARU or Manchester

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

lol, that's good

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hattie Masters posted:

Claire you went to loving LSE what did you expect? Anyway, get through the first year and transfer. Or, hell, drop out after the end of the first year, take a gap year, go back through UCAS and go to UoE, UEA, ARU or Manchester

And what’s wrong with the Tackleford Institute of Technology?

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

And what’s wrong with the Tackleford Institute of Technology?

This has actually made me realise that I'm not sure what Claire is studying. Economics? Maths? Bc obviously if it's something less Techy it wouldn't be a good fit for the highly reputable TIT

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

The dedication to drawing absolutely every animal incorrectly is just breathtaking.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pancho Jueves posted:

The dedication to drawing absolutely every animal incorrectly is just breathtaking.

What do you mean, those duck billed platypuses are just wearing Jon Bon Jovi wigs to warm their backs while swimming past the pirate ship.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I guess Elly wasn't paying this woman even minimum wage for taking care of her toddler every day?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

computer angel posted:

I guess Elly wasn't paying this woman even minimum wage for taking care of her toddler every day?

She got paid in hugs and kisses and exposure to a baby!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

There's so much going on with Odie's Mom here. Got a chuckle out of me, at least. (And somehow I forgot about the Deep Lore of Garfield's Mom.)

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

...THAT'S IT? And Mary gets all the credit for handing this neurotic a muffin and saying "Hey talk to your husband"?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Schultz and Yeates are certainly not Hal Foster, but it really feels like they understand Hal Foster. Classic Val would probably tell this storyline in a more jocular fashion, but the final panel pay off of Morgan scattering the attackers out of pure force of personality is completely in form. The more serious tone also affords Morgan a type of dignity that I (sadly) think Hal would have stuggled to achieve.

I'm strongly impressed by Modern Val.

The modern strip falls short of the classic ones in various ways, but it's still good. Morgan is an interesting character here. I liked how she basically tricked the powers she had pissed off into continuing to do her bidding anyway by flooding the river. It's a much more interesting way of depicting magic than just having her cast a spell or something.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 25, 1951)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse
It's always awkward when your friend makes explicit the difference in your circumstances due to the inherently unfair and deliberately unequal distribution of resources. Good thing most people are too polite to talk about that kind of thing or it might become very difficult to justify.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Incredibly threatening!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 4, 1934)

Peanuts (May 12, 1975)

Memento Funky, as the strip returns to its natural habitat: the shadow of the Reaper.

SEPTEMBER. 11TH. YOU DON'T SAY.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 8, 1938)

Out Our Way (October 13-15, 1938)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Loyal servant

Another one from the 1938 collection.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy poo poo, Goldie, just pay the guy.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Well, it used to be a perfectly normal name.

And that concludes The world of Storm P.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: Loyal servant

Another one from the 1938 collection.

drat, butler has hands

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

JethroMcB posted:

...THAT'S IT? And Mary gets all the credit for handing this neurotic a muffin and saying "Hey talk to your husband"?

It's been too long since Wilbur's been around. Time to move on.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

TegneHanne

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

someone's gotta go check on chuck
I only worry about Boyce when he writes a comprehensible strip.

Green Intern posted:

Holy poo poo, Goldie, just pay the guy.
Goldie didn't get where he is by just paying money to people.

Nostalgamus posted:

And that concludes The world of Storm P.
Those were fun! Thanks!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Doomykins posted:

Did the raging forest fire go out because it is reading the script and knows all the tension is gone now even though fire fighters never showed up or were called

Did Cherry teleport out of Portland to drive into the woods in the last 15 minutes since the scene started with the bros and Mark driving there from their unrelated tech bro villa, did she use the same teleporting Mark's Dad did, who called her, was it the bros? Nobody? Mark's dad?

Did Jules forget and get tired of the Bee Sharp/cryptid thing already or did she just have to get that narration pun in

and finally I really appreciate that panel 1 showing that there's like 100 feet of free space to have walked around the downed power pole anyway
Yes.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

The secret truth, kid, is we are all making it up as we go along all the time about everything.

Apartment 3-G

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

I knew it! But it's too late to change who I am now.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

What the hell is going on with those firefighters/hoses? The water looks like it's coming out of the hose perpendicular to it, and the guy looks like he's putting his hand in it, testing the water like he's a kid wanting to take a drink but wants to let it get colder. Also I'm pretty sure you don't want the hose to curl like that. And the guy on the right looks like he's just standing there pretending to hold a hose.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Maybe your husband could solve this one for you, like he always does, foolish girl. A woman should be seen, not heard. It's like I told Estelle when she threatened to assert herself..."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "204 - Jucika Is Polite"

"205 - Jucika As A Quality Inspector"

Fair.

quote:

The Phantom

I'm losing track, this feels like the 3rd retelling of the same story.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

SEPTEMBER. 11TH. YOU DON'T SAY.

(He was talking about this thing with the grill)

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

How is this comic so good

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Doomykins posted:

I'm losing track, this feels like the 3rd retelling of the same story.

I think this is the third time we're getting Mozz telling a story, and they've overlapped a bit, but this is only the second time this incident has been mentioned.
Also, I think he mentioned in an aside that what he's really doing here is stalling for time, but he didn't say for what.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

What the hell is going on with those firefighters/hoses? The water looks like it's coming out of the hose perpendicular to it, and the guy looks like he's putting his hand in it, testing the water like he's a kid wanting to take a drink but wants to let it get colder. Also I'm pretty sure you don't want the hose to curl like that. And the guy on the right looks like he's just standing there pretending to hold a hose.
Peep the perspective too. Right firefighter looks tiny next to left firefighter, but then that guy looks like he'd be the size of Andre the Giant next to Mark so I guess Rightie is actually average sized.

Jam might have traced but at least the man could trace.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

very timely slam on participation trophies good job dustin

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

very timely slam on participation trophies good job dustin

Elementary schools around here don't even do events or participants, let alone winners, anymore. They set up 5-6 big games at stations and the classrooms just rotate around giving everyone a turn at everything. They might have a sponge brigade race (like, one person soaks a sponge in water and then you hand it up the line and the last person wrings it out into a different bucket), but even that just sort of ends when the teachers get bored and a winning team is declared mostly at random.

Honestly 100% better that way.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Memento Funky, as the strip returns to its natural habitat: the shadow of the Reaper.

I don't actually think I recall ever seeing Batiuk complain about taxes, but I added that in because I did think he'd go for the stereotypical joke if given the chance.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 15, 1938)

Goldie sucks so much. What a lovely "friend."

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

:lmao:

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005