Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just make a ramp dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Purchased a new wax seal, removed the toilet and found this monstrosity which explains the sewage smell:

https://imgur.com/a/rDlkaGg

I am a complete novice with all of this, but it seems like liquid was getting past the wax seal and flowing into the gap between the down pipe and the floor, so I likely have some amount of subfloor damage (as expected). Does this seem right? The vinyl flooring is bubbling up around the opening, which seems to support this idea.

My plan is to clean up the surrounding area, slap this new wax seal on, and start getting bids for the much otherwise needed bathroom remodel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yep, that's about what I expected to find. Once the vinyl flooring start coming up it's going to reveal the extent of the damage, the extent of which is hard to tell until you get into it.

The good news is that what your doing will slow down the damage significantly, so if the floor isn't in terrible shape you just bought yourself a lot of time.

Just be sure to clean the bottom of the toilet and the flange very very well to make certain your new wax ring seals. And make sure the flange itself is still solid on the floor - if it's not it will need to be repaired first as that would allow the toilet to rock which will just break the new seal pretty quickly.

Edit: if you have a little fan you can throw in the crawlspace to keep the air moving under there for a couple of weeks it would probably help getting the subfloor dried out since it's not going to be doing much of that through the top/linoleum.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 8, 2022

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for calling out the bit about the flange. In youtube videos it looks like folks are fitting a stainless steel or PVC flange Into the downpipe. My flange appears to be cast iron and built into the cast iron downpipe. Since one portion of the iron flange lip is broken, is my best bet to buy one of those stainless steel flanges to sit atop the broken cast iron flange?

Edit: Found another youtube video that shows in detail exactly how to remove the cast iron flange. This is... quite a process. You drill out the lead/oakum which binds the cast iron downpipe to the flange, then you saw the top of the downpipe to be level and then fit a pvc flange into it. Need to think on whether I want to attempt to do this or pay a plumber $500 to do it for me. Fortunately I live next to a gym and can poo poo there as needed.

vs Dinosaurs fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 8, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I give it greater than 50/50 odds you need to cut out a 3x3 section of the subfloor and replace it

Good time to put in that ceramic tile flooring you always wanted!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

OK handy smart homeowners:

we have a shower stall where the drain smells like mildew, always. the smell goes away when I dump some relatively low strength clog/biofilm cleaner, but will come back in a few weeks -> months. is there an actual heavy duty product that will just knock this out? there doesn't seem to be a clog - it drains just fine. the pipes are likely a mix of pvc and Very Old Pipes (brass? cooper? cast iron?). also whats fun is the drain cover is non removable - its grouted in. i will also add its a very distinct mildew smell, not a sewer smell.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

whats fun is the drain cover is non removable - its grouted in.

Pipes that get used regularly do not smell like mildew. Normal plumbing fixtures are not grouted in. Grout that can not be cleaned or sealed likes to grow mildew.

You have an installation problem. This is likely an endemic issue until that is corrected. I'm going to guess there is a large amount of exposed grout under that cover. Grout that should absolutely 100% not be there any more than this cover should be grouted in.

I'm going to guess someone tiled this shower and didn't extend the drain properly (or just installed it improperly to begin with) and decided to make up the difference by slathering a bunch of grout around and wet setting the cap. This is not okay.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

Pipes that get used regularly do not smell like mildew. Normal plumbing fixtures are not grouted in. Grout that can not be cleaned or sealed likes to grow mildew.

You have an installation problem. This is likely an endemic issue until that is corrected. I'm going to guess there is a large amount of exposed grout under that cover. Grout that should absolutely 100% not be there any more than this cover should be grouted in.

I'm going to guess someone tiled this shower and didn't extend the drain properly (or just installed it improperly to begin with) and decided to make up the difference by slathering a bunch of grout around and wet setting the cap. This is not okay.

I think I might be describing this wrong -- when I mean "grouted" I mean there's no screw so not sure what's holding the drain in. There is a line of grout around the drain in the channel cut from tile. I will grab a picture. How would one remove a shower drain? I've never owned a stall shower before so used to having screws for the drain cap on a tub.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

OK, it turns out I'm very stupid and I can just remove the drain cover. There's no grout and its just a normal PVC pipe lol.

Also fun PO discovery: painting the outdoor two level deck with non-outdoor paint (why wouldn't you stain the wood?? why??), forever dooming me to constantly repaint yearly when it gets ruined by rain and temperature change until we eventually replace the deck.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 9, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why does the raccoon leaf make mario wear a tux :psyduck:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

OK, it turns out I'm very stupid and I can just remove the drain cover. There's no grout and its just a normal PVC pipe lol.

How big was the ball of hair hanging off of it?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Motronic posted:

How big was the ball of hair hanging off of it?

God, my wife sheds like a loving golden retriever. We've put all manner of hair catching gizmos on all the sinks and, like clockwork, I still need to pull satan's own hairball out of the shower drain once a year.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I thought this was still toilet chat for a minute and had flashbacks to the massive hair clog I removed from the toilet drain when we changed the master bath toilet right after buying the house. Shower drain hairballs have nothing on that monstrosity. And I still don't know how or why.

You people are lucky I was too horrified to take photos.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why you making GBS threads out hair

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I haven’t snaked it yet but looking forward to what gross PO discovery I find as soon as my Amazon order gets in

Also pretty angry about the painted deck!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

Why you making GBS threads out hair

We had just bought the house and I swapped two of the toilets. I have no idea why the sellers were making GBS threads out hair.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Alarbus posted:

I thought this was still toilet chat for a minute and had flashbacks to the massive hair clog I removed from the toilet drain when we changed the master bath toilet right after buying the house. Shower drain hairballs have nothing on that monstrosity. And I still don't know how or why.

You people are lucky I was too horrified to take photos.

I flush the relatively small hairballs I get from my shower quarterly. Maybe that but bigger.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

... Do you not have a garbage can like right there in your bathroom?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Dave posted:

... Do you not have a garbage can like right there in your bathroom?

It's gross!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had a female roommate and we shared a bathroom and I successfully lobbied for no trashcan

It was the best time I've had sharing a bathroom with a woman. Every time since we've just had trash and other bio stuff rotting in there for days to weeks at a time because that trash can is the bottom priority on trash day

All bathroom trash should be carried out to the kitchen :colbert:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Alarbus posted:

We had just bought the house and I swapped two of the toilets. I have no idea why the sellers were making GBS threads out hair.

Some of that may have been squeezed-out wax from the wax ring on installation.

I took advice to use an extra-thick wax ring when I replaced my toilet with a Kohler Cimmaron that was advertised to flush a bucket of golf balls. I had also replaced the entire stack with 4” schedule 40, so was mystified when the toilet would clog at random. I eventually got disgusted with the thing & replaced it with a Gerber Avalanche. When I pulled the Kohler there was this enormous turd-shaped thing that turned out to be excess wax, somehow caught in hair, so it dangled in the waste line for years.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 10, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've had great luck with these on flanges of questionable integrity.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SANI-SEAL-TOILET-GASKET-Toilet-Gasket-Flexible-Waxless-Seal-Universal-Fit-BL01/203564758

Also nice that you can remove and reposition the toilet if needed, it's not one time use like a wax ring.

opengl fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 9, 2022

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

What's the thread's opinion on the wax-free Fluidmaster rubber seals? Looking to replace 3 toilets in my house soon.

Edit: ^^^good timing

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I used those on both toilets at the last house after loving with a wax ring once. I'm an idiot, and they're pretty idiot-proof. When I eventually redo the bathroom floors at the current house, I'll be using them when I re-set the toilets.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Insurrectum posted:

What's the thread's opinion on the wax-free Fluidmaster rubber seals? Looking to replace 3 toilets in my house soon.

Edit: ^^^good timing

They're really good any all I've been using in the last few years. I've yet to have anything leak and they are a lot more forgiving than wax rings to install. I think they probably have a much better chance of staying sealed later on if closet bolts start getting loose, etc. And speaking of closet bolts, they come with pretty nice brass ones.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hadlock posted:

There's like a whole rear end house between my master bath and kitchen. We have trash cans in each bathroom for things like tissues and q-tips. They all get emptied twice a week.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

While we're on toilet chat, I'm ready to finally replace the standard round bowl in our ensuite with an elongated. Our existing toilets are all basic American Standard 2-pieces and haven't give me any trouble, but figured I'd check and see if anyone had strong toilet opinions before I bought anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Toilet hair chat: My mother's generation always mopped and dumped the mop bucket down the toilet. If there's pet (or I guess human) hair on the floor and someone is too lazy to sweep/vaccum before mopping, that's one source.

Another is this oddity:
https://rainbowsystem.com/
Rainbow vaccum cleaners are rare, but have been around since at least the 1980s. They produce a cannister full of filthy water containing everything that was sucked up off the floor. When I was a kid my folks had one and we dumped it out in the back yard, but I'm sure lots of people just dump it down the toilet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hadlock posted:

I had a female roommate and we shared a bathroom and I successfully lobbied for no trashcan

It was the best time I've had sharing a bathroom with a woman. Every time since we've just had trash and other bio stuff rotting in there for days to weeks at a time because that trash can is the bottom priority on trash day

You made some poor girl carry her used menstruation products through the house because you couldn't remember to empty the waste basket a couple times a week?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Sirotan posted:

You made some poor girl carry her used menstruation products through the house because you couldn't remember to empty the waste basket a couple times a week?

Thank you - I was just thinking that. In my new place, I put the trashcan at the opposite end of the bathroom from my toilet (there are two doors that swing into the bathroom, so even though the square footage is decent in there, space for putting things is limited) and even that is annoying me enough that I might try to work out another spot. I can't imagine carrying stuff through the house each time.

Like if you managed to convince her to carry stuff into the kitchen, I'm betting you could've convinced her to make sure a bathroom trashcan is emptied at reasonable intervals. Seems like a weird way to solve that problem.

E: okay also I'll pose a home ownership question here. I have a light switch that I'm 99% certain is intended to turn on a particular overhead light (as in, there's really nothing else it could do and there's no other switch that turns on that light), but nothing happens when I turn it on. Replaced the light bulb, but still no luck. Any other things I can try with minimal electrical knowledge\ability, or do I need to call someone?

marjorie fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 10, 2022

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

While we're on toilet chat, I'm ready to finally replace the standard round bowl in our ensuite with an elongated. Our existing toilets are all basic American Standard 2-pieces and haven't give me any trouble, but figured I'd check and see if anyone had strong toilet opinions before I bought anything.

American standard titan if you are big box storing.

I bought Toto from the plumbing store cause that is what the guy said would flush forever.

Both seem to be flushing everything my terrible family can poop out.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

marjorie posted:

E: okay also I'll pose a home ownership question here. I have a light switch that I'm 99% certain is intended to turn on a particular overhead light (as in, there's really nothing else it could do and there's no other switch that turns on that light), but nothing happens when I turn it on. Replaced the light bulb, but still no luck. Any other things I can try with minimal electrical knowledge\ability, or do I need to call someone?

With a non contact tester you can see if the switch is functioning and if power is getting to the fixture. With a multimeter you can make some more sophisticated measurements. Is it an incandescent fixture or a cfl? If it's fluorescent the ballast could have failed

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
So... what's the most obnoxious thing that's gone missing on the exterior of your house? Someone stole(?) my loving doorbell. Went out front this morning and there's a nice big hole + wires where it ought to be.

It wasn't an expensive one or anything (a dumb-bell, if you will), but what the gently caress, people.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Vim Fuego posted:

With a non contact tester you can see if the switch is functioning and if power is getting to the fixture. With a multimeter you can make some more sophisticated measurements. Is it an incandescent fixture or a cfl? If it's fluorescent the ballast could have failed

Sweet, I probably have a multimeter somewhere in my boxes from college. I guess my question is whether there are solvable things I could do myself (again, with the understanding I'm not very handy) depending on what I find out. I guess if the issue is with a wire right at the switch or fixture, or if it's something at the fixture itself maybe I could do it? It's a plain old threaded base fixture - PO had a CFL bulb in there, but I replaced it with an LED bulb, neither worked (it hasn't worked since I moved in).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

marjorie posted:

Sweet, I probably have a multimeter somewhere in my boxes from college. I guess my question is whether there are solvable things I could do myself (again, with the understanding I'm not very handy) depending on what I find out. I guess if the issue is with a wire right at the switch or fixture, or if it's something at the fixture itself maybe I could do it? It's a plain old threaded base fixture - PO had a CFL bulb in there, but I replaced it with an LED bulb, neither worked (it hasn't worked since I moved in).

Depends on what you mean by "not very handy". The fact that you are 1.) asking 2.) not only know how to use but own a multimeter points to YES for most common issues with just a little bit of help on how to diagnose it to get you started.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sundae posted:

So... what's the most obnoxious thing that's gone missing on the exterior of your house? Someone stole(?) my loving doorbell. Went out front this morning and there's a nice big hole + wires where it ought to be.

It wasn't an expensive one or anything (a dumb-bell, if you will), but what the gently caress, people.

Maybe a delivery driver accidentally knocked it off during a delivery? I can't imagine what it could be other than that.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Motronic posted:

Depends on what you mean by "not very handy". The fact that you are 1.) asking 2.) not only know how to use but own a multimeter points to YES for most common issues with just a little bit of help on how to diagnose it to get you started.

I guess I have a lot of confidence issues with minor home projects that never went right in my old place. But yeah, the basic knowledge is probably there somewhere so if I'm careful and methodical I could probably tackle something straightforward. Besides, I think I'd like to improve my handiness instead of always deferring, so I'll take a stab at it. I'll let you guys know what I find with the multimeter.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

marjorie posted:

Yeah. First thing I'd test is putting an actual incandescent bulb into the socket. Then test if there's power at the socket with the switch in either position. Then test power in at the switch, then power out of the switch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sundae posted:

Ding Dong Dashing is a gateway crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Beef Of Ages posted:

Maybe a delivery driver accidentally knocked it off during a delivery? I can't imagine what it could be other than that.

Dumb kids?

Door -to-door doorbell salesman setting up his opportunities for the next day?