Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

unlike other mecha anime, this one is about the robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

actually that would be gaogaigar not ttgl

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tales of Woe posted:

melody of oblivion not so much

More series need to have major plot points rest on cross-linguistic puns.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think Imaishi is a very good storyteller honestly, and my favorite things he's done have either worked in spite of his lack of focus (Promare) or were so utterly insane that they're nothing but idiosyncrasies and don't even bother trying to stitch together a narrative most of the time, veering headfirst into self-parody whenever they're actually forced to (PSG).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

it's still well regarded. 99% of shows are just gonna become the domain of anime buffs by a decade later, no matter how good they are. in 2030 someone is going to make a post like yours about odd taxi

Yeah but the exact same for every TV show that only runs a season or two. When people talk HBO they think Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Sex and the City, and......Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Just for my opinion taking into account the people who aren't HBO/prestige TV buffs only going off of finished shows.

Drama

31 shows, I'd rank, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, The Wire as commonly heard of shows

Comedy

53 shows, VEEP, Entourage(because it got a movie), Sex and the City

Anthology

9 shows, only True Detective (star power)

Miniseries

48 shows, Band of Brothers, Generation Kill(maybe), John Adams,

Animation

5 shows, none I'd expect people to know about

If you go back on those lists, you'll find some of the best shows made in the last 20 years, easily top 100, that don't even make this list. A lot of these shows are only on the list because of how recent they are or how much press they got at the time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

mycophobia posted:

ive cried at a lot of animes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
row row fight the power

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nanoha rules. s1 is a bizarre mess with no real idea what it wants to do with itself until midway through but it has really unique visual energy and still looks insanely cool to this day, and the core relationship between nanoha and fate is still strong. strikers is a much more balanced and expertly constructed magical girl anime, it cleans up all the messier bits of s1 and tells a great story in itself, it doesn't have the same visual energy s1 does but it still has really solid action and character animation. nanoha's cool and i think people are too quick to ditch it or talk down on it now that there are hotter newer weird magical girl shows. but i think nanoha still does several things better than a lot of newer ones, and i like stuff like symphogear and madoka

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 9, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

kill la kill was bad but drat darling in the franxx was so much worse

kill la kill was good, actually

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

kill la kill was good, actually

This is a troll free forum.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On my ranking of Imaishi stuff, it's Promare >> PSG >>> Luluco >>>>> Gurren Lagann > that one episode of Visions.

On this chart, Kill la Kill lives in hell.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kill la Kill was fun when it was airing and everyone was experiencing it for the first time but gently caress me did it not hold up quite as well on a rewatch

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Even casting aside the indefensibly gross scenes involving Satsuki and Ragyo, the back half of that show is about forty semi-interesting premises that never get satisfactorily explored because the show just rapid-fire leaps from one to the next.

And then it turns into Sonic Adventure 2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i liked klk but haven't tried to rewatch it

gurren lagann still gives me chills when I bring up the clips of the best parts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

Even casting aside the indefensibly gross scenes involving Satsuki and Ragyo, the back half of that show is about forty semi-interesting premises that never get satisfactorily explored because the show just rapid-fire leaps from one to the next.

It's extremely funny that the character whose theme song memetically proclaims not to lose ones way loses her way like four times in a row

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arist posted:

the indefensibly gross scenes involving Satsuki and Ragyo

I wish I could just go back in time and prevent em from happening

It would have done a lot to prevent me from hating the back half of KLK as much as I did

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arist posted:

you're making it sound too good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think klk is Fine but. it's not a show that deserved a mega hype train. it was an okay imaishi show.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Waffleman_ posted:

All the anime that aired in 2007 and would have had an episode aired around September 22:
School Days

I choose to believe he wept at that very very nice boat

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coaaab posted:

i think it may have been about eureka seven and he was catching up with it
yeah, that was the one

e:
gently caress

ee:

I Am Fowl posted:

I choose to believe he wept at that very very nice boat
lmfao jesus what a throwback

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 9, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kill La Kill is just okay

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It was worth it for the King of the Hill jokes Adult Swim did on its forums tho

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Runa posted:

It was pretty fun not having a lot of exposure to super robot shows and then TTGL suddenly kool-aid mans into the room and then took over every other anime blog for a hot minute

You have some idea of what it was like getting into anime around 1995 and then Eva happens.

Waffleman_ posted:

Kill la Kill was fun when it was airing and everyone was experiencing it for the first time but gently caress me did it not hold up quite as well on a rewatch

Plenty can be said about the quality of the animation, or the clever humor, or the music, or whatever other positive aspects there were, but ultimately Kill la Kill revolved entirely around the conceit that 16 year old girls had to get naked to unleash their full power, despite the fact that it could have been based around literally anything else. It was an experience watching it, due to the animation, etc., but I doubt I will ever rewatch it, nor can I ever recommend it to anyone.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

theres an energy that imaishi (and trigger's primary team, presumably) brings to action scenes that you just don't get with anyone else. everyones constantly in motion and everything feels forceful and fast and its just dope. but like someone said upthread hes just a pretty bad storyteller. it sucks

like a third or half of kill la kill is really good, but its not really extricable from the poo poo that isnt, and that poo poo is dire

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

nanoha rules. s1 is a bizarre mess with no real idea what it wants to do with itself until midway through but it has really unique visual energy and still looks insanely cool to this day, and the core relationship between nanoha and fate is still strong. strikers is a much more balanced and expertly constructed magical girl anime, it cleans up all the messier bits of s1 and tells a great story in itself, it doesn't have the same visual energy s1 does but it still has really solid action and character animation. nanoha's cool and i think people are too quick to ditch it or talk down on it now that there are hotter newer weird magical girl shows. but i think nanoha still does several things better than a lot of newer ones, and i like stuff like symphogear and madoka

Having rewatched Nanoha S1 a few years back while it is a mess in some ways (hi vestigial Triangle Heart stuff) I do think it clearly knows what it wants to do from the get go. The opening episodes are meant to be typical magical girl stuff so it roots Nanoha has a character and also provide some reason as to why she ends up being so obsessed/willing to go ridiculous lengths and cutting straight to Fate appearing weakens the story (I do not like the first movie cause of this). Heck Detonation called back to it a bit near the end

Anyway Nanoha is good and probably one of the more influential modern magical girl series along with Precure and I love the fact that in the end Nanoha and company end up making friends of almost everyone they faced. Even as a late night anime it still defaults back to believing in people and it's why while i love Symphogear/Madoka I don't put them quite on Nanoha's level

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nanoha and Fate taking care of Vivio was pretty good

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arist posted:

Kill La Kill would have been way better if it just was an episodic series that served as a vehicle for magical girl fights but it’s high school so there’s evil gardeners/tennis players and not whatever happened after Satsuki’s reverse heel turn.

Also if it were less creepy, those outfits are one of the most overt examples of dudes who can’t accept that manga/anime authors are thirsty for teenage girls. Man, I should rewatch Little Witch Academia.

Also also, on episode two of March Lion and it’s pretty good so far, thanks thread. Crazy whiplash so far but I was warned on that though.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I finished volume 1 of Dr.Slump, I don't think I really get it. Today I'm going to read https://anilist.co/manga/86324/ idk why this was on my list but I wonder if it is any good. I really want to read berserk or Kingdom or Sengoku Komachi Kurou Tan but I think they would be too difficult to enjoy right now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dr Slump is basically just non-stop gags and some of them are winners and most of them aren’t bad Dragonball is much better at humor because it’s mostly situational comedy gags mixed with fights.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I think you haven't even seen the butt aliens yet.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

13:30 - far shot of satsuki hanging in the cage
13:34 - shot of satsuki’s feet, ragged and hanging, Ragyo laughing. Panning up to Satsuki’s face until 13:43, without pausing to stare at her boobs like so many other animes
13:43 - close-up of Satsuki’s face (look of rage at 13:53)
13:54 - Looking at Ragyo talking to Satsuki
13:58 - medium-far shot of Satsuki, her body is darkened rather than well-lit. Ragyo gloating
14:11 - beginning of bad touch scene. The lighting of Ragyo is bright, the lighting on Satsuki is dark, guiding the eye to Ragyo, not Satsuki.
14:21 - Four second butt shot
14:25 - Close-up of a look of rage on Satsuki’s face
14:29 - Close-up of Ragyo’s face. Gloating.
14:36 - shot panning downwards from above Satuki’s face to her face. Seven seconds. No cleavage.
14:43 to 15:39 - Backstory.
15:40 - Far panning shot of cage.
15:56 - Butt slap.
15:57 - Shot of Ragyo and Satsuki’s face. This time, the lighting is on Satsuki.
16:03 - Closeup of Satsuki’s face into a close-up of Ragyo’s face. Still enraged / still gloating
16:09 - Shot of Satsuki’s legs from halfway down her thighs and panning downwards.
16:17 - Backwards shot of a bad touch sweeping down from Satsuki’s chest down to her behind.
16:28 - From Satsuki’s face into Ragyo’s face.
16:36 - Butt slap.
16:37 - Far shot of cage. Dark. More butt slaps and Ragyo emphasizing how much she wants Satsuki to hate her.
16:40 - Close up of faces. Butt slaps continue.
16:44 - Satsuki’s face, still mad. Still slapping. Maniacal laughter from Ragyo.
16:51 - End of the scene.

Let's recap -
lots of exposition
no lingering on boobs
lighting that deliberately de-emphasized Satsuki's body
lots of focus on the faces
fostering Satsuki's anger made a part of the conversation deliberately

If you think they spent a bunch of time on Satsuki's body you were paying attention to the wrong loving thing and you're using disgust to justify voyeurism. The scene wasn't fanservice. God drat.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

somebody give this guy the Zapruder film; he and he alone can solve the mystery

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's always going to be good if i never rewatch it a fully grown adult

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have this policy for many games I played in the 90's

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

cheetah7071 posted:

the climax of nanoha strikers whips

too bad the entire first half of the series was such a drag

that show's pacing was such a mess

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was clearing out some books and while deciding what to get rid of I re-read some fantasy novels I loved as a teenager and now I firmly believe in leaving things I liked in the past as fond, nostalgic memories and not revisiting them to find out how much they actually kinda suck.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
wasn't zorak like a huge fan of kill la kill

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

This colorful plastic keyring isn't as much fun as I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011