Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Horace Kinch posted:

I've been using the angel scythe and it's pretty baller. You'll need to make a small str/dex investment though.

The Winged and Halo scythes are pretty similar, but the latter has a way cooler ash of war. The Winged is great for doing co-op, though, lets you really gently caress up invaders because the ash prevents healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
well I got pissed off and uninstalled elden ring.

I was in my 3rd playthrough. no ashes, no statuses (bleed frost). I just wanted to prove I was gud, lol, to myself. I was running dual colossal swords, and the damage just wasn't there. I was facing off against mogh in the blood palace and every attack did such piddly damage. my first playthrough, I did godslayer greatsword and fingerprint shield with greatshield talisman, which was pretty fun. second play through, dual blood twinblades, also fun. but man, it really feels like the last 1/3rd of the game is an arms race to see who can become most broken rather than a test of skill. I broke my restriction on that guy at castle sol. I died against him like 15 times, then summoned a +1 mimic and defeated him without breaking a sweat. I still think the first 2/3rds of the game are awesome, but the last 1/3rd is just soso. I just don't really get the same sense of achievement I was expecting. I'm sure if I spent 10 hours raging I could beat mogh, and melania, and all the other end bosses again, but it's not really satisfying.

I'm gonna go back to my old from soft obsession of dualing against sword saint isshin and genichiro in the boss rush mode again. now those are satisfying fights!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can beat the last third without status effects, especiallly dual welding.

I don’t even think it’s particularly hard. Mogh was literally the only boss that I struggled with

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mirello posted:

I died against him like 15 times, then summoned a +1 mimic and defeated him without breaking a sweat.

I agree with this part, the summonable ashes trivialize a lot of otherwise tough boss battles; every time I'd get impatient and use spirit ashes on a boss, I'd regret it shortly afterwards. I think the game would be overall improved if spirit ashes were weakened and some bosses did like 1/3 less damage to compensate

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can beat the last third without status effects, especiallly dual welding.

I don’t even think it’s particularly hard. Mogh was literally the only boss that I struggled with

I know. I did beat the game. twice. I just don't think everything after leyndall lives up to everything before it. And I would say too, that the "skill" required to solo bosses like melania or mogh is too high. they're balanced around spirit ashes or abusing poise/bleed. which is cool, but when I beat melania and mogh in my second playthrough in like 30 seconds with a dual bleed twinblades, thats not really satisfying either.

Sekiro was my first from game, so I compare everything to that. The bosses and the balance is so great. when you fight a boss, you're exactly at the right "level". I think from did an amazing thing with caelid (my favorite region), limgrave, liurnia, and leyndall. But after that it's just too ridiculous, the mobs and the bosses.

I had 60 strength, 55 vigor, and a +10 ruins greatsword and +23 greatsword, and my damage per hit is comparable to dualwielding katanas that allow you to wear much heavier armor due to weight and attack much faster and inflict statuses. I can't even break poise, which is supposed to be the benefit of big weapons, because they're too slow, and every attack mogh did knocked me out of my animation. I know these games have always had easier and more difficult ways of playing, and that's fine. but in all 3 of my playthroughs, my enjoyment really dropped off after reaching the mountaintop of the giants, mostly due to (imo) balance issues, that force players to change their playstyles from more "fun" ones to more "meta" ones.

Mirello fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 9, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the last quarter of the game or so is definitely a matter of cheese or be cheesed. The game felt like it was cracking under its own weight in a number of ways, and I don’t think they should make DLC. It’s more than big enough as it is and the endgame already feels like it’s scaled at a DLC level.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The last third is easily the best part of the game and I kind of wish the first two thirds were more like it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I could best describe the endgame as weirdly balanced, really. Here's some of those imps you beat 10 hours ago, followed up by a miniboss you should probably flee from as he'll kick your rear end. Your nearest landmark is a cave filled with scrub enemies and at the end Astel is back have fun

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

imho the problem with the endgame is just that your goal becomes too unclear. i wouldn't mind suffering through the haligtree, dying to crows outside Mogh's castle, suffering through farum azula, etc, if I knew that there was some reason for what I was doing. But by that point in the game I'd already burned the erdtree and had lost track of how many major bosses remained. You end up so disconnected from your primary objective that those areas feel more like dlc than late-game content.

Honestly I think this would be a 100/100 game if the names of the great rune holders were listed on the map screen, alongside the regions where they were found. So, for example, Radahan's name would be listed next to Caelid; and when you finally find and kill him, his name gets crossed off. That way, when you're slogging through late-game areas like the Haligtree, you're at least aware of some goal you're working towards ("ah, the map says a great rune should be here somewhere"), rather than "just clearing out the dungeon"

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

I agree with this part, the summonable ashes trivialize a lot of otherwise tough boss battles; every time I'd get impatient and use spirit ashes on a boss, I'd regret it shortly afterwards. I think the game would be overall improved if spirit ashes were weakened and some bosses did like 1/3 less damage to compensate

Lol I'm the opposite and love abusing ashes and wish I could use them against those fuckers the bell bearing hunters

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

imho the problem with the endgame is just that your goal becomes too unclear. i wouldn't mind suffering through the haligtree, dying to crows outside Mogh's castle, suffering through farum azula, etc, if I knew that there was some reason for what I was doing. But by that point in the game I'd already burned the erdtree and had lost track of how many major bosses remained. You end up so disconnected from your primary objective that those areas feel more like dlc than late-game content.

Honestly I think this would be a 100/100 game if the names of the great rune holders were listed on the map screen, alongside the regions where they were found. So, for example, Radahan's name would be listed next to Caelid; and when you finally find and kill him, his name gets crossed off. That way, when you're slogging through late-game areas like the Haligtree, you're at least aware of some goal you're working towards ("ah, the map says a great rune should be here somewhere"), rather than "just clearing out the dungeon"

.??? Once you burn the tree you just have a boss rush and your done.

Everything else you listed is optional content you don’t have to do if you don’t want

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mirello posted:

it really feels like the last 1/3rd of the game is an arms race to see who can become most broken rather than a test of skill.

Because of having to do the fight too long and dying? Hmm

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think there are a lot of people that got carried through the first half of the game on the exploration and sense of discovery along with the inevitable over leveling / over upgrading that comes along with scouring the map.

By the time you hit haligtree/CFA the “expected upgrade level” is +/- 1 level from the cap, so you can’t really brute force as much and have to engage with the combat.

Most builds will have a way to deal with this, be it through ashes or sorcery/incantations or status. But I think if your goal is to be a hosed up little guy with two swords and nothing else, and you don’t really enjoy the slow patient poking that comes along with that, you’re probably going to have a bad time.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everything else you listed is optional content you don’t have to do if you don’t want

yeah but how would you even know that without wikis? gideon's early dialogue at the roundtable hold makes it seem like you need all of the great runes to fix the elden ring — his big list of great rune people is the closest thing the game has to a primary quest log. i kept powering through the optional areas because i assumed showing up at the tree without getting the great runes first would lock me into a bad ending

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

hazardousmouse posted:

Lol I'm the opposite and love abusing ashes and wish I could use them against those fuckers the bell bearing hunters
Me too. My goal is to beat the game without ever getting good at it but these evergaols are trying to thwart me at every turn!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

yeah but how would you even know that without wikis? gideon's early dialogue at the roundtable hold makes it seem like you need all of the great runes to fix the elden ring — his big list of great rune people is the closest thing the game has to a primary quest log. i kept powering through the optional areas because i assumed showing up at the tree without getting the great runes first would lock me into a bad ending

Because if your burning the tree why would you not go to the tree and check on it?

It seems the only way you would miss that is if you had outside info

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

causticBeet posted:

I think there are a lot of people that got carried through the first half of the game on the exploration and sense of discovery along with the inevitable over leveling / over upgrading that comes along with scouring the map.

By the time you hit haligtree/CFA the “expected upgrade level” is +/- 1 level from the cap, so you can’t really brute force as much and have to engage with the combat.

Most builds will have a way to deal with this, be it through ashes or sorcery/incantations or status. But I think if your goal is to be a hosed up little guy with two swords and nothing else, and you don’t really enjoy the slow patient poking that comes along with that, you’re probably going to have a bad time.

No the damage does just shoot to Ringed City levels from Mountaintops onwards, of course you can counter it with your own bullshit but that's why it's being described as 'cheese or be cheesed'

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean you don’t need to cheese anything. You can if you want but it’s hardly necessary

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

You get told by the Finger Reader in Roundtable Hold to find another great rune before you even get that dialogue from Gideon. When you do, she tells you to go to the Capital. After she tells you that you need to burn the Erdtree and seek the Rune of Death. I understand that people miss dialogue, but considering the latter even adds a quest marker to the map, I'm surprised people are acting confused about late-game objectives. I mean, you can always miss stuff, but the game's forward momentum, if nothing else, feels pretty clear to me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because if your burning the tree why would you not go to the tree and check on it?

It seems the only way you would miss that is if you had outside info

yeah the game makes it pretty explicit that you're burning down the tree so the blocked door to the tree also burns down. if you elect to keep going forward with where the game spits you out it takes you on a train right to the endgame.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

No Dignity posted:

No the damage does just shoot to Ringed City levels from Mountaintops onwards, of course you can counter it with your own bullshit but that's why it's being described as 'cheese or be cheesed'

I guess it depends on how you define cheese. Like you don’t need to be BHS bleed boi to beat that stuff, but you need something actually resembling a “build” and not just “idk here’s some random poo poo I picked up along the way that I got through the rest of the game with just fine because I did the capital at level 120 with a +9 weapon.”

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I love that Elden Ring's endgame is a rocket to the finish, in some other games I get my fill of exploring and collecting and then it's OK just 20 more hours

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That is partly why I'm not burning the tree yet because I know once I do I'll just emotionally feel like the game is done and be done, i won't do the tree or any of the optional stuff.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just realized that Godwyn and Godfrey are completely different people. I was getting really confused by the end of the game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

causticBeet posted:

I guess it depends on how you define cheese. Like you don’t need to be BHS bleed boi to beat that stuff, but you need something actually resembling a “build” and not just “idk here’s some random poo poo I picked up along the way that I got through the rest of the game with just fine because I did the capital at level 120 with a +9 weapon.”

I do think Elden Ring is a slightly lesser game for the fact that playing a completely honest sword and board quality build is nearly a challenge run. Like even if you're not doing a full blown mimic tear RoB cancer build the name of the game for most of the endgame fights is action denial to shut down the bosses and experiencing their movesets as little as possible, or just using BHS to push skip on most of their attacks altogether. For me at least the Bloodborne and DS3 superbosses were more fun for having weaker PCs and bosses in general, and like rolling through Gael's attacks and hitting him with a straight sword wasn't an act of self-flaggelation

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's impressive how quickly guard countering stops mattering lol

Jump all day every day

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The only flaw in the endgame is trying to farm these archers in the consecrated snowfield for their armor, cause holy poo poo is that annoying!!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rick posted:

That is partly why I'm not burning the tree yet because I know once I do I'll just emotionally feel like the game is done and be done, i won't do the tree or any of the optional stuff.

the best reason to hold off is so the drat roundtable hold is not loving on fire

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fruits of the sea posted:

Honestly 6/10 is a pretty glowing review considering you didn’t like the gameplay and had some other irritations. Uh, props for sticking with it, I guess?

I kinda have some sympathy since I frickin love exploration and keep on buying metroidvania games and then remember that I am just godawful at 2d platforming after I get stuck at the first hard part. I’ve done this like three times now. Hollow Knight, why am I so bad at you?

I'm really into a good 2d platforming Metroidvanias with tons of hidden secrets. And by sheer persistence I managed to complete most of the ones I played. Hollow Knight is really great in that regard. So are the two Ori games.
A sort of obscure one (which is really quite a bit harder than the previous ones) is called Aeterna Noctem.
And of course if you like really obtuse puzzle bullshit, which you can technically solve without outside resources, there's always La Mulana and it's sequel.
For a 3d one I'd recommend the Supraland series.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I don't want to burn my wifu until she tells me all the lore. I don't know where it all is though. Most churches, the bedroom before the thrones, uh... other places? Maybe?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I do think Elden Ring is a slightly lesser game for the fact that playing a completely honest sword and board quality build is nearly a challenge run. Like even if you're not doing a full blown mimic tear RoB cancer build the name of the game for most of the endgame fights is action denial to shut down the bosses and experiencing their movesets as little as possible, or just using BHS to push skip on most of their attacks altogether. For me at least the Bloodborne and DS3 superbosses were more fun for having weaker PCs and bosses in general, and like rolling through Gael's attacks and hitting him with a straight sword wasn't an act of self-flaggelation

I found many of the fights very unsatisfying to play “honestly”, which has a lot to do with how many gotchas they build into fights now because I guess they thought the game would be too easy for veterans if enemy attacks were still just fastballs straight down the middle. I never felt like I was reaching a cadence or a satisfying flow because all the enemy attack animations need to have awkward pauses or explosions that go off after arbitrary delays, or their combos are a variable length and you don’t know when they’re done, so it all feels very disjointed. It’s very unlike the satisfying dance of quickstepping through gascoigne’s or maria’s swings before hitting back with a transform attack. At the same time, it isn’t actually that hard to win if you just use all the options at your disposal.

I think hoarah loux is the most frustrated I’ve ever been at a boss who I killed on the first try. nothing in the game gave me consistent trouble once I got past the 1/3 mark and wasn’t beating my face against world bosses I was obviously underleveled for anymore, but it wasn’t particularly fun either. if “difficult but fun” is the ideal they were going for, they landed uncomfortably close to “easy but unfun”.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I ran into a host at Godfrey who managed to get one-shot by his shockwaves

Just level up vigor already god drat

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Saw a Saint Riot video the other day where he one-shot a host in a late-game area with 280 damage, literally negative from starting health O_O

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is that thing where the final upgrade on a weapon actually makes the weapon worse fixed by now? I'm just getting to where I'd want to max upgrade stuff but I lost track of that whole situation, don't know what the current state of things is.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Dignity posted:

i did a dex level 99 run and learning the bosses was the best part. it definitely asks way more of you than any other from game but at the same time no other game gave me the feeling of mastery that beating some of the really hard elden ring bosses does.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 9, 2022

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I found many of the fights very unsatisfying to play “honestly”, which has a lot to do with how many gotchas they build into fights now because I guess they thought the game would be too easy for veterans if enemy attacks were still just fastballs straight down the middle. I never felt like I was reaching a cadence or a satisfying flow because all the enemy attack animations need to have awkward pauses or explosions that go off after arbitrary delays, or their combos are a variable length and you don’t know when they’re done, so it all feels very disjointed. It’s very unlike the satisfying dance of quickstepping through gascoigne’s or maria’s swings before hitting back with a transform attack. At the same time, it isn’t actually that hard to win if you just use all the options at your disposal.

I think hoarah loux is the most frustrated I’ve ever been at a boss who I killed on the first try. nothing in the game gave me consistent trouble once I got past the 1/3 mark and wasn’t beating my face against world bosses I was obviously underleveled for anymore, but it wasn’t particularly fun either. if “difficult but fun” is the ideal they were going for, they landed uncomfortably close to “easy but unfun”.

The lack of rhythm you mention is IMO a big part of it- if there was a "beat" for a given boss or even a given combo it'd feel better.

At the same time I guess part of the problem is figuring out how to make the same boss encounter satisfying both for newbies and for people who've got every Soulsbourne cheeve to date, and that's hardly unique to Souls- look at how WoW raid bosses have become increasingly complex over the years as the hardcore raiders who design them get increasingly skilled. The solution they went with was difficulty modes that lower damage numbers and omit certain mechanics, and I suppose FromSoft's answer is summons and ashes and so on.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

No Dignity posted:

Saw a Saint Riot video the other day where he one-shot a host in a late-game area with 280 damage, literally negative from starting health O_O

Radagon’s Scarseal, Crucible Feather Talisman, some Scorpion Charm. A real one-shot build ya know.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Radagon’s Scarseal, Crucible Feather Talisman, some Scorpion Charm. A real one-shot build ya know.

Some of the glintstone crowns lower HP too, right?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I did some pvp in elden ring for the first time and I so far I have 2-shot so many people with my Moonveil weapon art. I'm not using a build that is tailored for pvp at all, most of my talismans are of no help. Some people just really don't like putting points in vigor.

I have a friend who doesn't usually play From Soft games and he's about to enter Raya Lucaria academy and he hasn't levelled vigor yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also man the Cragblade owns in pvp and I wish I had a second for a new game because nobody on earth knows what to do when your angry lighting cloud assblasts them from on high

Bloodhound step panic spamming? That's ok, just keep doing it, it'll tick through eventually