Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ZearothK posted:

^^
lol, I was like "hadn't that game ccme out a long time ago?"

Oh, I meant "miserable" as in boring, not difficult, but appreciate the helpfulness. Very little enemy variety in a system that didnt have much going for it either.

Yeah the dungeon mobs get really tiresome, and it’s where the game’s truncated development first starts to show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I understand. However, I am a simple mind and applying AoE Frostfire kept me entertained throughout the whole game. As soon as combat begins every enemy in range starts to do a little song and dance while screaming in agony as they get burnt from within by magical fire. :allears:

I'm the good guy

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm into NG+4 and Rogue Legacy 2 is way better than I thought it was. This is a game that's meant to be played through NG+6, it's unreal how many mechanics are stuck behind the first 40 hours of playing. There are characters like assassin that don't do what they're supposed to do unless you have a ton of upgrades already. I think cellar door is completely insane for designing and balancing their game around 50+ hours of play but it sure feels cool if you're one of the weirdos who are into that.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Wave posted:

I'm into NG+4 and Rogue Legacy 2 is way better than I thought it was. This is a game that's meant to be played through NG+6, it's unreal how many mechanics are stuck behind the first 40 hours of playing. There are characters like assassin that don't do what they're supposed to do unless you have a ton of upgrades already. I think cellar door is completely insane for designing and balancing their game around 50+ hours of play but it sure feels cool if you're one of the weirdos who are into that.

i just beat the base game (i.e. beat up cain, or abel, can't remember which of them was the final boss, and i'm now in the forest. how much new content is there in ng+ and beyond? is it just the same enemies but harder or do they mix it up well?

e: i also am really enjoying the game, one of those that becomes more than the sum of its parts.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

No Wave posted:

I suspected this because some classes, like assassin, just didn't make sense. Why would I play assassin when duelist does more damage, has more health, and has a better talent? What upgrades become available that make assassin actually function like it's supposed to?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Foul Fowl posted:

i just beat the base game (i.e. beat up cain, or abel, can't remember which of them was the final boss, and i'm now in the forest. how much new content is there in ng+ and beyond? is it just the same enemies but harder or do they mix it up well?

e: i also am really enjoying the game, one of those that becomes more than the sum of its parts.
The first NG+1 is basically the same thing with one new boss if you select it in burdens (do select it!!!). Eventually you unlock burdens that create alternate harder versions of each of the stages. So it's a very gradual mix-up, but it's really good.

Megasabin posted:

I suspected this because some classes, like assassin, just didn't make sense. Why would I play assassin when duelist does more damage, has more health, and has a better talent? What upgrades become available that make assassin actually function like it's supposed to?
I thought the exact same thing! What happens is his third hit is a guaranteed crit and the game becomes much more crit focused.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Wave posted:

The first NG+1 is basically the same thing with one new boss if you select it in burdens (do select it!!!). Eventually you unlock burdens that create alternate harder versions of each of the stages. So it's a very gradual mix-up, but it's really good.

I thought the exact same thing! What happens is his third hit is a guaranteed crit and the game becomes much more crit focused.

cool, thank you, i'm def gonna keep playing it for a bit then :cheers:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Megasabin posted:

Speaking of duelist being good (and this might be a bug) I just realized the "deal 100% bonus damage during the invincibility window after being hit" relic also triggers during the invincibility when you come out of a dodge roll. Given that attack is a guaranteed crit already, it makes the class even more ridiculous.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

ymgve posted:

Speaking of, Salt & Sacrifice is out tomorrow.

on Epic
https://opencritic.com/game/13130/salt-and-sacrifice
the sequel has more online hooks including co-op with up to 6 others and faction allegiance so might be better to get it on ps4/ps5 so there's an actual playerbase to interact with

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

'Not for Broadcast' deals with systemic evil and what it does to people to go along with it, or to try to fight against it.
I saw a lot of chuds getting upset because they thought the game was anti-right propaganda but the totalitarian government that's taking over at the start of the game is leftist authoritarian rather than rightist. Almost like they really value oppression and not anything more thoughtful or deep than that and hate seeing it attacked.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ymgve posted:

Speaking of, Salt & Sacrifice is out tomorrow.

on Epic

Can't wait, I really liked the atmosphere of the original and me cutting down every hapless mob with my giant demon scissors of doom

A lot of people I know really hated to weird character design that somehow resembles those east european animations from the 70's but I thought it was fine. Added to the weird feel of the game.

Just finished with Rogue Legacy 2 and Alwa's Legacy so my calendar is clear for the game and then endless cursing and going "the first boss is too hard".

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

HopperUK posted:

'Not for Broadcast' deals with systemic evil and what it does to people to go along with it, or to try to fight against it.
I saw a lot of chuds getting upset because they thought the game was anti-right propaganda but the totalitarian government that's taking over at the start of the game is leftist authoritarian rather than rightist. Almost like they really value oppression and not anything more thoughtful or deep than that and hate seeing it attacked.

But to make it "balanced", the leftist authoritarian goverment is at least somewhat competent, and it's only when economic sanctions threaten them they become cartoonishly evil. And the only people who initially rise up against the government is the millionaires who wants back their previous standard of living.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird question, but remember when people (rightfully) thought Gears of War ruined shooters with its chest-high walls everywhere? Does anyone feel the same way about FiraXCOM? Ever since EU, most other tactics games have adopted its cover system in some way or another and I was wondering if there existed a contingent of strategy fans who think that dumbed down the genre in some way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Not that I think it dumbed down the genre but seeing the same mechanic over and over and over gets pretty boring.
Although anything popular will spawn a billion copycats.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I like that daemonhunters is using the overwatch fields that I first noticed in gears tactics. It's much more interesting having locked down fields of fire vs "don't move in any area in a 500ft sphere around me" also makes your positioning more important

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mordja posted:

Weird question, but remember when people (rightfully) thought Gears of War ruined shooters with its chest-high walls everywhere? Does anyone feel the same way about FiraXCOM? Ever since EU, most other tactics games have adopted its cover system in some way or another and I was wondering if there existed a contingent of strategy fans who think that dumbed down the genre in some way.
Isn't Phoenix Point and it's whole free aim thing made specifically for people who disliked cover and dice rolls from new XCOM?

Most grognards usually take new XCOM to task for the action economy though. Turns out there's crazy people out there who enjoy time units. I guess it takes all sorts.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Anyone else going to check out Songs of Conquest tomorrow? Beautiful pixel art HoMM 2/3 is something I really, really want to be good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/867210/Songs_of_Conquest/

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Prokhor posted:

I like that daemonhunters is using the overwatch fields that I first noticed in gears tactics. It's much more interesting having locked down fields of fire vs "don't move in any area in a 500ft sphere around me" also makes your positioning more important

Also anyone using it automatically out of cover, making it bad for everything but setting up a gun line against guys who are going to charge for melee, which is what it should be. For the first time in one of these games sitting back and setting up overwatch is bad.

Really digging chaos gate something about it really clicked for me, I like the combat a lot better than xcom (and I love xcom).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If you want TUs in a game what you really want is phantom brigade / laser squad nemesis turn based orders to real time execution combat. That stuff rules and we need more of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phoenix Point strikes a good balance between granularity of TUs and the simplicity of Nu-Com turns.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

picked up Nioh 2 thanks to this thread and Im digging it. The loot is pretty annoying, but I keep getting better weapons of the type im using so its not terrible.

The real good part is the combat. This game feels like Dark Souls crossed with Monster Hunter. Each weapon has so many moves and a gigantic skill tree, theres no way Ill ever see like 70% of the content of this game, even if I beat it

Been using the fist weapons and it feels badass to shred enemies and pull of ki pulse combos to keep the aggression up. That being said, running out of ki in the dark zones is super annoying and it feels like I dont have much recourse to it. Whenever a boss shrouds the arena, i usually just run around until it goes away cause otherwise I will get stunned and die instantly. Not a fan of this mechanic

Still, just beat the snake boss and cleared the first zone. Looking forward to whatever else this game has in store.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yokai attacks cost no ki! Dark zone is a great time to spam them.

You can also supplement your ki recovery with barrier talismans or sacred water.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anno posted:

Anyone else going to check out Songs of Conquest tomorrow? Beautiful pixel art HoMM 2/3 is something I really, really want to be good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/867210/Songs_of_Conquest/

Had it wishlisted forever and forgot it was coming out tomorrow, I'll probably wait to see if it's any good but I really want it to be!

Edit: Ah gently caress it's another EA release. I didn't realize that :sigh:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

picked up Nioh 2 thanks to this thread and Im digging it. The loot is pretty annoying, but I keep getting better weapons of the type im using so its not terrible.

I've been playing it a whole lot more as well and really enjoying myself. I'm basically changing weapons to whatever I get that's new and does more damage at this point but have spent a majority of my time with the big fuckoff 2h axe. Recently picked up a couple hatchets and have been trying to make that happen but it's hard starting a new weapon with no moves and low familiarity of the weapon. I think grinding familiarity on various weapons so you can mash them into other weapons later is kind of a core concept of the game though.

The Nioh 2 thread is dead/archived by now, right?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

vaginite posted:

Also anyone using it automatically out of cover, making it bad for everything but setting up a gun line against guys who are going to charge for melee, which is what it should be. For the first time in one of these games sitting back and setting up overwatch is bad.

Really digging chaos gate something about it really clicked for me, I like the combat a lot better than xcom (and I love xcom).

I've found it useful for when there are Plague Marines hunkered behind cover where it wouldn't make sense for me to Move in order to get LOS. Like I just have my Justicar sit up a few squares ahead of everyone else and then they all just Overwatch him. And the Marines with the Plague Spewers tend to walk a lot because their gun has such a short range, so you can count on them acting similarly to the Pox Walkers

I'm definitely enjoying it quite a bit too. I would even go so far as to say it's a good game, without the usual "for a Warhammer game" disclaimer :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

explosivo posted:

Had it wishlisted forever and forgot it was coming out tomorrow, I'll probably wait to see if it's any good but I really want it to be!

Edit: Ah gently caress it's another EA release. I didn't realize that :sigh:

I've been playing it a whole lot more as well and really enjoying myself. I'm basically changing weapons to whatever I get that's new and does more damage at this point but have spent a majority of my time with the big fuckoff 2h axe. Recently picked up a couple hatchets and have been trying to make that happen but it's hard starting a new weapon with no moves and low familiarity of the weapon. I think grinding familiarity on various weapons so you can mash them into other weapons later is kind of a core concept of the game though.

The Nioh 2 thread is dead/archived by now, right?

General Nioh thread is over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773772&pagenumber=359&perpage=40

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh, thanks. I should've tried searching "Nioh" and not "Nioh 2" :cripes:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

quick question about the hitman sale. i have never played any of the nu-hitsman and would like to start with the first one. if i install the free "demo" of hitman 3 from steam and buy the "hitman 1 legacy access pack" or whatever, will that let me play hitman 1 in the new engine? or do i actually have to buy hitman 3 first in order to install dlc

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

The real good part is the combat. This game feels like Dark Souls crossed with Monster Hunter. Each weapon has so many moves and a gigantic skill tree, theres no way Ill ever see like 70% of the content of this game, even if I beat it

Been using the fist weapons and it feels badass to shred enemies and pull of ki pulse combos to keep the aggression up. That being said, running out of ki in the dark zones is super annoying and it feels like I dont have much recourse to it. Whenever a boss shrouds the arena, i usually just run around until it goes away cause otherwise I will get stunned and die instantly. Not a fan of this mechanic

Still, just beat the snake boss and cleared the first zone. Looking forward to whatever else this game has in store.

Barrier talismans from onmyo magic give you a massive amount of ki regen and are perfect for those dark zone boss phases. even with no points in magic you’ll be able to equip one or two magic items and you should do so, although putting a few points in magic is good no matter your build to get some utility items.

Lonegar
Jul 13, 2006
Internet.
Anyone played Stone Story RPG and know if it is any good? Looks interesting but saw it has been in early access for a while so wondered if it was close to finished as well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

explosivo posted:

Oh, thanks. I should've tried searching "Nioh" and not "Nioh 2" :cripes:

There's also the games index thread now which is super handy for finding those.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mordja posted:

I would like to see a modern take on Jagged Alliance’s more free-form combat. No grid system, fields of fire, cover and accuracy are also affected by kneeling/prone positions etc.

Apparently it was lightning in a bottle, because there have been a bunch of sequels that all sucked in different ways.

I guess the Men of War series was similar, but everybody seems to have forgotten those games.

E: JA and MoW are pretty unforgiving mil sim games though, so it’s very niche compared to the Xcs.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 9, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Weedle posted:

quick question about the hitman sale. i have never played any of the nu-hitsman and would like to start with the first one. if i install the free "demo" of hitman 3 from steam and buy the "hitman 1 legacy access pack" or whatever, will that let me play hitman 1 in the new engine? or do i actually have to buy hitman 3 first in order to install dlc

Yes, loading the old content into the Hitman 3 demo is explicitly supported

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-free-starter-pack/

quote:

Already played HITMAN 1 and 2? Great! The HITMAN 3 Free Starter Pack is the perfect place to get started with the final game in the trilogy. Import the locations that you can already access in HITMAN 2 and carryover your progress to start playing with the new features and improvements from HITMAN 3, including updated lighting effects, animations and Agent 47’s new camera item. (The Free Starter Pack does not support VR. You must own HITMAN 3 Standard or Deluxe Edition in order to play in VR.)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Teardown part 2 is awesome. I liked part 1 a lot but now you've got killer robots and tornadoes to deal with. and no timed missions so far

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Working on my backlog, Prey or FarCry Primal? You can effort post if you want but I really just want someone to pick for me since im incapable apparently.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

prey

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Prey without question.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah prey is a blast

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Primal is really good fun though if you're in the mood for that setting.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I kinda was in the mood for caveman shenanigans which is why I had it as one of my choices but Prey it is.

All I know about Prey is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RnccAI9UYM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

on a related note prey is the next epic freebie

includes the DLC too