Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ibblebibble posted:

Frankly I'm amazed that you managed to see enrage at all. The boss has a really long cycle of mechanics.

As long as stuff's readable (as opposed to Savage where sometimes you need a holistic understanding of what everyone's dealing with to figure out where anyone can safely go and that's how you get Elmo Strats) I've found I have a knack for picking things up after seeing them once. It helps that our experienced guildy had us figure out the light groups/tower/clock positions so when those mechanics came up I could say "aha I have the tool for this." Also while two of us guildies were totally blind, one had been blind earlier that day and one had just read info online, the three pubbies all said they knew it and were experimenting with other jobs. So there was experience there.

Of course, knowledge is different from execution. First time I successfully did blue-->red I was so busy being happy that I ran to my tower without noticing that one of the AoEs hadn't gone off yet. Next goal: remember to hit dps buttons while figuring out where to stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I take pride in this being a game where I can report the person talking about parsing in expert, not because I think they shouldn’t be parsing but because they are parsing in expert.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Honestly I didn’t know I had parses because of pug group uploads and was really upset to find it out the day I did look up my character - I was staying in my lane in casual, normal-level content and still had random parses uploaded, and it left me feeling lovely where I saw greys because someone uploaded my very first clear of the fight where I died a bunch learning it, or was learning a new job, and that type of thing. It didn’t make me feel good to see the blues or greens I had, it just made me feel like poo poo to see a permanent recording of the times where I struggled while doing my best, where previously I’d just brush it off and forget. And now sometimes on bad days instead of shrugging because hey it’s normal, we got the clear and no one cares, I remember that even in my roulettes there’s still a chance someone is tracking it and judging tf out of me. I think parsing is fine for EX/savage but is a dick move if you’re down in normal, and I would probably lose most of my enjoyment if every roulette ended with a grade assigned like a rotation exam.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Impermanent posted:

instead of giving us numbers we should get an icon in the corner of the screen that glows different colors depending on how close to optimal dps we are.

Instead of an icon, make it a picture of Tataru that becomes happier/sadder based on how good/bad you are doing

Edit: Do well over enough duties and she sends you a random glamour piece in the mail.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 9, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

there's a certain amount people wallowing in their ignorance and treating any criticism, however mild or well-intentioned, of their performance in a co-operative game or even just "helpful" (quality may vary) pointers as a personal attack. i've seen goon fc members bite off each others' heads for advice that was offered with the "wrong tone" lol. kinda disturbing, imo, and in my experience it's much, much more common than some parselord yelling at people for marginally suboptimal dps

sometimes i wonder what the overlap between people who refuse to play tank/healer (not because they don't like it per se, but because they don't want to be seen playing poorly in a more high-profile role) and the anti meter crowd is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

As long as stuff's readable (as opposed to Savage where sometimes you need a holistic understanding of what everyone's dealing with to figure out where anyone can safely go and that's how you get Elmo Strats) I've found I have a knack for picking things up after seeing them once. It helps that our experienced guildy had us figure out the light groups/tower/clock positions so when those mechanics came up I could say "aha I have the tool for this." Also while two of us guildies were totally blind, one had been blind earlier that day and one had just read info online, the three pubbies all said they knew it and were experimenting with other jobs. So there was experience there.

Of course, knowledge is different from execution. First time I successfully did blue-->red I was so busy being happy that I ran to my tower without noticing that one of the AoEs hadn't gone off yet. Next goal: remember to hit dps buttons while figuring out where to stand.

I think they more meant that Eric takes so long to enrage that they're surprised that you failed the enrage without it just being a wipe earlier in the fight

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Parsing and fight logs as an objective performance tool are stupid, you can be up against some keyboard gods with best in slot gear while doing your job basically fine with "only" decent gear
We tried doing savage for pandemonium with my buddies, downed P1 and P2 a couple of weeks after release, on our last recorded P1S reclear where we did not even see enrage, I was 2nd DPS but still parsed grey at 23% with reaper while not loving up my rotation, not getting hit by mechanics and being 99.6% active, should I be kicked from the group because according to xivanalysis I missed some positionals I could not hit anyway ?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also now i'm thinking i need a plugin that adds a devil may cry SSStyle Meter to encourage me to not gently caress up my rotation

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Zanael posted:

Parsing and fight logs as an objective performance tool are stupid, you can be up against some keyboard gods with best in slot gear while doing your job basically fine with "only" decent gear
We tried doing savage for pandemonium with my buddies, downed P1 and P2 a couple of weeks after release, on our last recorded P1S reclear where we did not even see enrage, I was 2nd DPS but still parsed grey at 23% with reaper while not loving up my rotation, not getting hit by mechanics and being 99.6% active, should I be kicked from the group because according to xivanalysis I missed some positionals I could not hit anyway ?

don’t think anyone said this man you have read too far in to it I think, but if they did they are wrong yes

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nobody care about being 100% optimal and not missing a single positional, and no one is looking at the log colour this late in the patch. 8 greys will handily destroy a dps check designed for 30 ilvls ago.

It matters when all you can do is triple digit dps.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A thought: if we get rough dps meters, healers should also get one that rates them more poorly the more healing spells they use without anybody dying.

It would have to be able to tell the difference between somebody dying from chip damage and somebody dying because they got nuked by standing in stupid, so I guess it would be a bit complicated.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Zanael posted:

this didn't happen

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zanael posted:

I know this isn't the point of the post but generally reaper has few enough positionals that you should be able to use true north just about every time you would miss one

that said I do think one of the big weaknesses of fflogs is it only normalized by the date you cleared on, not by gear. I'm not sure ACT is capable of parsing gear information but I'd love to see, instead of "here's how you did against everybody that cleared this week", instead "here's how you did against everybody with similar gear to yours since the fight released"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thundarr posted:

A thought: if we get rough dps meters, healers should also get one that rates them more poorly the more healing spells they use without anybody dying.

This doesn't work. SGE and WHM both have overheal in the kit to play optimally. If you want to get pedantic you'd just count GCD heals, and even then that doesn't look at WHM properly.

And who cares if they heal too much if their damage doesn't suffer.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They'll probably add a personal parser for general use and add visible target DPS numbers to Stone Sky Sea to use as a performance metric. People will get toxic and ask other players what their DPS is in dungeons or story stuff where it doesn't matter, but that's obviously going to be considered harassment by GMs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oneiros posted:

there's a certain amount people wallowing in their ignorance and treating any criticism, however mild or well-intentioned, of their performance in a co-operative game or even just "helpful" (quality may vary) pointers as a personal attack. i've seen goon fc members bite off each others' heads for advice that was offered with the "wrong tone" lol. kinda disturbing, imo, and in my experience it's much, much more common than some parselord yelling at people for marginally suboptimal dps

sometimes i wonder what the overlap between people who refuse to play tank/healer (not because they don't like it per se, but because they don't want to be seen playing poorly in a more high-profile role) and the anti meter crowd is

This is entirely true. The "toxic casual" crowd has always been more prevalent than try hard meanie parselords.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vitamean posted:

this didn't happen

also yeah you aren't getting 23% just a few weeks into the cycle without either having severely suboptimal gear or making major mistakes

if it were a few months into the cycle then it's very reasonable for someone playing well to get a 23%

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

coolusername posted:

Honestly I didn’t know I had parses because of pug group uploads and was really upset to find it out the day I did look up my character - I was staying in my lane in casual, normal-level content and still had random parses uploaded, and it left me feeling lovely where I saw greys because someone uploaded my very first clear of the fight where I died a bunch learning it, or was learning a new job, and that type of thing. It didn’t make me feel good to see the blues or greens I had, it just made me feel like poo poo to see a permanent recording of the times where I struggled while doing my best, where previously I’d just brush it off and forget. And now sometimes on bad days instead of shrugging because hey it’s normal, we got the clear and no one cares, I remember that even in my roulettes there’s still a chance someone is tracking it and judging tf out of me. I think parsing is fine for EX/savage but is a dick move if you’re down in normal, and I would probably lose most of my enjoyment if every roulette ended with a grade assigned like a rotation exam.

This is me yeah.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

damage meters might as well be allowed and if people poison their social circles over video game stuff then that's on them imo

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

trying to imagine the situation in which this even matters. if it's not your static or your own farm group (where you can presumably look at ACT all you want and kick whoever you like) we're basically talking about, what, PF extreme/savage groups? If you can see that someone's in your savage PF and not contributing and no one wants to kick them isn't the overwhelmingly easier answer for this point of friction to just leave the group?

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

cheetah7071 posted:

I know this isn't the point of the post but generally reaper has few enough positionals that you should be able to use true north just about every time you would miss one

that said I do think one of the big weaknesses of fflogs is it only normalized by the date you cleared on, not by gear. I'm not sure ACT is capable of parsing gear information but I'd love to see, instead of "here's how you did against everybody that cleared this week", instead "here's how you did against everybody with similar gear to yours since the fight released"

ACT has no way to gather 'currently equipped gear', unfortunately, since that's not something that goes in the combat log or even the network data.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
its weird to pretend were living in the halcyon days where people arent mean to each other, in the second biggest mmo in the world, and people will only start being mean to each other when a number becomes visible. there is already a robust system in place for this! and if thats not good enough for you, you should make an effort to cultivate a group you can play with who share similar sentiments to you so you dont get "the evil pubbie" whos gonna complain and bum you out. this is a social game. use your social tools.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

cheetah7071 posted:

WarcraftLogs does this. It shows you your percentile relative to all people playing your spec in a fight, and your percentile for your current ilvl doing that fight as separate numbers. Of course WoW has other things that impact DPS (talent choices) that it does not track separately, and it has a much higher ilvl variance which can matter (WoW raids have 4 difficulties with generally 15 ilvl difference between gear from each difficulty).

The thing is for actual feedback, the percentile is wholly unnecessary. You can literally just give people the dps number and maybe a series of automatically calculated target numbers for “skill rank”. Put it in SSS and then let people use whatever they get in SSS as a target number for the savage/extreme/ultimate they want to participate in.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

they're not going to add dps parsers.

quote:

We believe that people use the aforementioned tools to expand the HUD and display more information because they feel that existing functions are insufficient for tackling high-end duties. In recognition of this, we intend to review the most prominent tools, and in order to discourage their use, endeavor to enhance the functionality of the HUD. Though it will take some time, we're determined to make it happen─not least for the benefit of those who play on consoles.

what this says to me is, they might add things like showing the exact HP of the boss instead of just the percent (which is a mod). further enhancing the UI to better show who is being raised (even though they just updated this recently already). making the countdown timer show more precise numbers before the 5-4-3-2-1. stuff like that.

you don't need a DPS parser on your screen in the middle of a fight to help you clear the duty.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Endings posted:

ACT has no way to gather 'currently equipped gear', unfortunately, since that's not something that goes in the combat log or even the network data.

no but it can pull from lodestone which is accurate to ~your current login. it doesnt associate this data with any logs, presumably cuz its a lil finnicky, but it could attempt tp try this.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

coolusername posted:

Oof. Makes me curious if I'm in there too, as a consoler I def don't have act installed. Are you able to request the removal of your data?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Parse meanies usually self select into harder content, where you can largely avoid them by not doing that content. Toxic casual people are way more prominent in eg roulettes which are more core to most people's experience. My fav very common manifestation of this is people saying some variation of "I'm going to try extra hard to lose then" in reaction to any kind of strategizing in frontlines

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think they more meant that Eric takes so long to enrage that they're surprised that you failed the enrage without it just being a wipe earlier in the fight

Congratulations on turning their "well done surviving all that" into "git good" I guess?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

If anyone truly does not care about parsing and you don’t really need the tools that come with it since you don’t do content where it matters, fflogs is opt out and you do not have to worry about it again. You don’t even have to make an account https://www.fflogs.com/help/hiding-characters/

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

no but it can pull from lodestone which is accurate to ~your current login. it doesnt associate this data with any logs, presumably cuz its a lil finnicky, but it could attempt tp try this.

The fflogs person explored this iirc but the issue was just that lodestone often doesn’t update until after someone has logged off and then they might’ve changed jobs and all that afterwards and didn’t want to make people use a plugin or something equivalent since they’d need everyone to do it

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hazardousmouse posted:

Oof. Makes me curious if I'm in there too, as a consoler I def don't have act installed. Are you able to request the removal of your data?

You are 100% in there. Even if you only do dungeons and normal level stuff, there's an extremely good chance a party member was running ACT, and would either apathetically or purposefully uploaded the party logs.

I'm not sure about removing your own data.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

hazardousmouse posted:

Pretty sure you can request FFlogs hide your character yes. Furthermore logging like this is actually poor etiquette.

If you put up a log you should tell people you are doing so when you do it and link it for them. You should also not be logging pug groups regardless unless they’re parse groups.

WoW has a pretty good understanding of this.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Toxic casual people are way more prominent in eg roulettes which are more core to most people's experience. My fav very common manifestation of this is people saying some variation of "I'm going to try extra hard to lose then" in reaction to any kind of strategizing in frontlines

I'd suggest there's like, a 50% or greater chance that someone paying enough attention to callouts and strategizing in FL chat to react like this is in fact joking. like it seems to be there is a very very slim chance this kind of person is a tenth as damaging to a hypothetical sincere frontline where we all work together hard than the myriad people just running in and feeding, or better yet the sincerely-intentioned people who just do not know how to read a minimap.

okay alternately I may be projecting because I make that joke in Frontline chat I just also am usually actually trying

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the lodestone updates very infrequently and it often just bizarrely wrong (showing gear for a different job than is listed)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lord_Magmar posted:

Pretty sure you can request FFlogs hide your character yes. Furthermore logging like this is actually poor etiquette.

If you put up a log you should tell people you are doing so when you do it and link it for them. You should also not be logging pug groups regardless unless they’re parse groups.

WoW has a pretty good understanding of this.

Ironically this is probably related to XIV's "just don't talk about it" policy. If nobody is allowed to mention the parse anyway, what's to stop somebody running ACT from just uploading whatever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Congratulations on turning their "well done surviving all that" into "git good" I guess?

Ah, that wasn't my intention at all and I apologize! There's absolutely no reason to expect to have a clean pull within the first few pulls but usually a pull with an absolute ton of deaths will wipe you at some point before enrage gets you, and it's surprising in a fight like Eric to have enough deaths to make enrage a realistic concern without it being a wipe. Getting through intemp and quad chains in only a few pulls, even messily, is a huge achievement!

I fully apologize for the carelessness in my words that made it seem like I was trying to say git gud

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Bruceski posted:

I don’t know why people are even mentioning Eric when the original post was EX3. Which personally I found kinda disappointing but is a really good pre-savage warm up for learning the sorts of execution expectations Savage has. If you can do EX3 you can almost definitely do Eric Savage and Hippo Savage mechanically.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

hazardousmouse posted:

I’d say almost definitely. You can just search your character name on the fflogs website and if anyone’s parsed you, it’ll pop up. I had parses going all the way back to 24 man ARR/HW content despite never touching the ACT or website before, and while being 99.9% casual. And it’s not like I’m a terrible player, I have more blue and green than grey, but it turned it very much from “wow that was awful run but everyone was chatty and had a good time” into “wow I hope no one uploads this” until I looked up how to hide it. I play ffxiv to be a hot 6 feet tall elf and avoid my university exam anxiety drat it!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And also about being on fflogs, nobody cares about your logs. If you're not trying to get into an Ultimate static, and you don't pick up some extremely online stalkers, it doesn't matter if you have a 1% on your first attempt on a boss in Aglaia.

poo poo happens. I figure myself half decent and I've got a load of greys in there if you look. Doesn't matter and no one has every brought them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord_Magmar posted:

I don’t know why people are even mentioning Eric when the original post was EX3. Which personally I found kinda disappointing but is a really good pre-savage warm up for learning the sorts of execution expectations Savage has. If you can do EX3 you can almost definitely do Eric Savage and Hippo Savage mechanically.

Its because I'm illiterate and misread it and thus entirely misinterpreted the post responding to it in a way that made sense for Eric and not for ex3

Just a shameful series of events on my part