Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Really enjoyed Knights of X in general, even if some portions were extremely Claremont-y in the characters explaining to you: the viewer, what exactly is happening. I feel like that oddly lent itself to better pacing overall and I hope that energy can keep up because I really like the cast and premise going in.

I genuinely think "show, don't tell" is overplayed in comics. Narration has a role and can be a good tool to develop the texture of a scene - it's just terminally unfashionable right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
You're right. X-Men Red expected the reader to know everything that happened in at least 3 different books, dating back to the Hellfire Gala in June. It could have used a quick recap.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Android Blues posted:

I genuinely think "show, don't tell" is overplayed in comics. Narration has a role and can be a good tool to develop the texture of a scene - it's just terminally unfashionable right now.

Part of the problem is that many artists aren't great at the "show" part. I love Pepe Larraz's work visually but I don't think he's a particularly good story-teller at times. One of the benefits of the Marvel Method was supposed to allow the writer to adjust the script based on what came back in the art. It allowed the writer to add more tell if the show wasn't quite there.

Ironically, Claremont's history of artists (at least in his original run) was a gathering of some of the greatest story-telling pencillers of their generations so he didn't need to be so loquacious!

The X-man cometh posted:

You're right. X-Men Red expected the reader to know everything that happened in at least 3 different books, dating back to the Hellfire Gala in June. It could have used a quick recap.

I didn't love Far Sector as much as many people did but the intro pages to each issue were great examples of how to summarize previous plot points in a unique way. But I also think picking up a book and not fully understanding every single thing because you didn't read previous stories is part of the fun in comics reading. That's how most of us probably started and it didn't drive us away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

. But I also think picking up a book and not fully understanding every single thing because you didn't read previous stories is part of the fun in comics reading. That's how most of us probably started and it didn't drive us away.

It wasn't the first comic I read, but it was the first comic I read that made me think "I'm really into comics" was a trade of Return of Superman. I'd seen the news stories and media hubbaloo about Superman dying, but that's a weird loving comic to dive into. Supergirl is some sort of shapeshifting alien and dating Lex Luthor?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
My older brother started buying Uncanny off the spinner rack around Fall of the Mutants. I cannot fathom how his 10ish year old brain was trying to figure that poo poo out. At least when he started letting me borrow them, I had him as a partially-informed reference point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

My older brother started buying Uncanny off the spinner rack around Fall of the Mutants. I cannot fathom how his 10ish year old brain was trying to figure that poo poo out. At least when he started letting me borrow them, I had him as a partially-informed reference point.

I started reading Amazing Spider-Man during the saga of who the Hobgoblin was which is quite the thing for a young man who knows of Spidey mostly via his Amazing Friends to step into. I can only imagine what shenanigans the X-Men were up to at the time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I finally caught up with this week's X-Books. Sabertooth is the highlight. LaValle is really doing great work with the premise and its unlikely cast of characters, including the different Sabertooth personality pieces, everyone being rather rounded. And yes, Krakoa as a communism allegory is failing badly its people as time goes on, where the cool people you follow in the books are more equal than the other thousand nameless citizens who don't live in the big buildings and go to galas and the like -- yet, it doesn't need to hammer this theme on the reader other than using a couple of panels. I want to see where this will go next.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I hope Si Spurrier picks this line of inquiry up, although iirc Lavalle is also signed on for two more mini-series after this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm very surprised at how much I'm enjoying Sabertooth! Also surprised at Oya and Necra being a couple?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
some interesting stuff here on how/when the Moira heel turn originated. wish Hickman had stuck with the original plan so we could have gotten the Ewing Moira book, personally :/

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/05/02/x-men-monday-154-jordan-d-white/

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I sure don't like Dr. Nemesis's head these days.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Barry Convex posted:

some interesting stuff here on how/when the Moira heel turn originated. wish Hickman had stuck with the original plan so we could have gotten the Ewing Moira book, personally :/

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/05/02/x-men-monday-154-jordan-d-white/

This is the first I've heard confirmation that the Moira book was from Ewing. That would have been fun.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I could have sworn that someone (Hickman maybe?) Had said that the writer of the proposed Moira book was a woman but I must have misremembered.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Little known fact: Al is short for Allison

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't think this ever had any confirmation from anyone who would actually know, but the rumor about the Moira book I remember was it was gonna be Warren Ellis, then he got Me-Tooed.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

I don't think this ever had any confirmation from anyone who would actually know, but the rumor about the Moira book I remember was it was gonna be Warren Ellis, then he got Me-Tooed.

I think I've posted about it in the past and it was less rumor and more speculation.

Whether or not it was there from the very beginning, the Moira heel turn certainly feels organic. She's seen all these people die half a dozen times over, she is totally finished with the means and is laser-focused on the ends.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

Little known fact: Al is short for Allison

Allison Blaire? The Dazzler!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
What's up with the new Marauders? Kwannon-psylocke doesn't look like her other than the purple butterfly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the previous volume of Marauders and I'm down with space X-Men adventures (well, mostly) but new Marauders just isn't clicking with me and I can't put my finger on why.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was nice to see more mutant teamwork and a practical use for a dreamweaver in combat

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I want to like Marauders more than I do--and I am enjoying it--and I think it's the art that's dragging it down for me. It's not even so much the cartoony style, because there are moments where it really works, it's that the book is action heavy but the action art is really unclear.

Thunderbird was really good though, I had high hopes for Nyla Rose as a writer and she really knocked it out of the park.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

rantmo posted:

I want to like Marauders more than I do--and I am enjoying it--and I think it's the art that's dragging it down for me. It's not even so much the cartoony style, because there are moments where it really works, it's that the book is action heavy but the action art is really unclear.

Yeah, I don't think the art is servicing the action scenes. There was a page where they are mid fall with the mcguffin in hand, then a couple panels later the bad guy has the mcguffin, and it was really unclear when that transition took place. I guess he grabbed it as they fell past?

Story-wise, I liked this issue of Marauders better than last, but I'm still not fully onboard. Hoping the mysterious sins of the Shiar are revealed soon and are compelling enough to finally hook me.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to see if anyone else read today's Judgement Day free comic. It's actually getting me really hyped for this summer's event in spite of the poor track record of "vs X-Men" crossovers. Feels like it will finally pay off a lot of the big picture implications that's been simmering since the reveal of the Krakoan status quo, while also being a surprisingly natural tie in to what Gillen is doing in Eternals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/joshuacassara/status/1523702126009982977

Oh, if only.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/RPHutch1975/status/1523709568001314817

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's going on Ben Percy I liked X-Force for a while

Why do you keep skinning mutants and doing stupid poo poo with Wolverine that feels like you only watched the movies

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mameluke posted:

What's going on Ben Percy I liked X-Force for a while

Why do you keep skinning mutants and doing stupid poo poo with Wolverine that feels like you only watched the movies

surf's up wolverine!

dies from drowning

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wonder if they are only keeping Benjamin Percy and Tini Howard due to them keeping up with their schedules for their books. It sure isn't for the quality of their writing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I wonder if they are only keeping Benjamin Percy and Tini Howard due to them keeping up with their schedules for their books. It sure isn't for the quality of their writing.

Dugan and Ewing aren't leaving are they?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Dugan and Ewing aren't leaving are they?

Not to my knowledge, plus we now have Gillen who so far has been a great addition.

I don't really get the criticism of Tini Howard, having recently read through her run on Excalibur. While not my favorite of the X-Line, it was serviceable, though I imagine it not reading well issue to issue, especially with the Covid delays. I'm unaware of the overall opinion on X of Swords, but given she co-scripted it with Hickman and worked closely with the writers across the line to pull it off, it's obvious she's got a good working relationship many in the office.

Haven't read as much Percy to have much of an opinion, though what I have read thanks to X of Swords and X Lives and Deaths of Wolverine didn't leave a good impression. Just happy the Moira parts of his story wasn't as dumb as the Omega Red parts.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

glitchwraith posted:

Not to my knowledge, plus we now have Gillen who so far has been a great addition.

I don't really get the criticism of Tini Howard, having recently read through her run on Excalibur. While not my favorite of the X-Line, it was serviceable, though I imagine it not reading well issue to issue, especially with the Covid delays. I'm unaware of the overall opinion on X of Swords, but given she co-scripted it with Hickman and worked closely with the writers across the line to pull it off, it's obvious she's got a good working relationship many in the office.

Haven't read as much Percy to have much of an opinion, though what I have read thanks to X of Swords and X Lives and Deaths of Wolverine didn't leave a good impression. Just happy the Moira parts of his story wasn't as dumb as the Omega Red parts.

Gillen and Ewing are the two best writers on the mutant books right now, so I think the future's looking pretty bright. Duggan can write entertaining comics most of the time, which is also good. Percy has had mixed results and I didn't care much for X Lives/X Deaths in the end. Now that he's gotten his big Wolverine story out his system, maybe he'll finally get around to wrapping up some other plotlines.

I can agree Tini Howard's writing is easier to digest when you can read the trades rather than individual issues. Excalibur, even back during its classic era, was always something of an odd title. It's definitely not what most people would associate with typical X-Men content on the surface, because of all the magical/mystical shenanigans, but it's decent enough. Totally understandable why it wouldn't work for everyone though!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

glitchwraith posted:

I've heard Excalibur underutilized Gambit, to some that is a most odious crime. I'll still give that run a try sometime though, cool to hear people digging different things.

Duggan seems to not be including Gambit in his book much either, it's a Gambit drought on these X seas. Bernie Sanders said he'd put Gambit in more pages, he should run the X-line. It was him or somebody used his avatar on twitter, I think it was him.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Heavy Metal posted:

I've heard Excalibur underutilized Gambit, to some that is a most odious crime. I'll still give that run a try sometime though, cool to hear people digging different things.

Duggan seems to not be including Gambit in his book much either, it's a Gambit drought on these X seas. Bernie Sanders said he'd put Gambit in more pages, he should run the X-line. It was him or somebody used his avatar on twitter, I think it was him.

Gambit is back in Knights of X!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Apocalypse as a 'team member' was the best thing Excalibur had going for it but generally I still enjoy the book, and Tini Howard's writing in general

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cloks posted:

Gambit is back in Knights of X!

Is he on the team in a Where's Waldo sense, or is he saying cool/funny stuff, getting B plots, being the smoothest son of a gun?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Heavy Metal posted:

Is he on the team in a Where's Waldo sense, or is he saying cool/funny stuff, getting B plots, being the smoothest son of a gun?

there's only been one issue but he got a decent amount of time in it

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, mon ami.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

wielder posted:

Gillen and Ewing are the two best writers on the mutant books right now, so I think the future's looking pretty bright. Duggan can write entertaining comics most of the time, which is also good. Percy has had mixed results and I didn't care much for X Lives/X Deaths in the end. Now that he's gotten his big Wolverine story out his system, maybe he'll finally get around to wrapping up some other plotlines.

I can agree Tini Howard's writing is easier to digest when you can read the trades rather than individual issues. Excalibur, even back during its classic era, was always something of an odd title. It's definitely not what most people would associate with typical X-Men content on the surface, because of all the magical/mystical shenanigans, but it's decent enough. Totally understandable why it wouldn't work for everyone though!

Strong agree with Percy, and I think Howard gets a little lost in the sauce too often even if I like her material.

But honestly Duggan's really hit a rhythm with X-Men that I don't think he even had going with Marauders, and it's been a sort of surprise hit for me out of everything lately. Every issue feels like it's telling a self contained story, and sets up/continues ongoing plots along the way. Plus it really works well for smaller character moments too, and a lot of that's just carried entirely by the art. It's not quite on the scale of a Gillen or Ewing, and it doesn't have that same sort of Always Big Ideas, but I enjoy Duggan's humble ongoing adventures a whole lot.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Strong agree with Percy, and I think Howard gets a little lost in the sauce too often even if I like her material.

Part of my disappointment with Excalibur was much much it felt like it was written just for me, and it wasn't hitting. Mutant magic, weird Arthurian poo poo and otherworldly realms all sounds like somebody commissioned my dream X-Men book. I had a similar experience with Stranger Things, which left me pretty cold despite what would, on paper, be extremely up my alley. I agree it reads better in trade, though.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

But honestly Duggan's really hit a rhythm with X-Men that I don't think he even had going with Marauders, and it's been a sort of surprise hit for me out of everything lately. Every issue feels like it's telling a self contained story, and sets up/continues ongoing plots along the way. Plus it really works well for smaller character moments too, and a lot of that's just carried entirely by the art. It's not quite on the scale of a Gillen or Ewing, and it doesn't have that same sort of Always Big Ideas, but I enjoy Duggan's humble ongoing adventures a whole lot.

Yeah, I was really surprised with Duggan's X-Men, he's always been a competent writer but never a strong favorite. It's been really good, though.

I wonder how much of the reception of the X-Line has just been writers being given the space to tell stories instead of books being relaunched every 12-18 months. Duggan's on his 10th issue of X-Men right now, which for several years means he would be getting ready to wrap it up; instead there have been plenty of future plots seeded. Like, if Vita Ayala's New Mutants had come out in 2018, the first 6 issues would be reassembling the New Mutants, their Shadow King arc would have to be told in 3 issues instead of 12, there'd be a 3 issue tie-in to a Venom event, and then the book would be canceled.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

FYI, Vita Ayala uses they/them pronouns.