Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Hughmoris posted:

What do you think will be the successor to keyboard + monitor? A VR headset strapped to our faces and living in the Matrix?

If my body is unfrozen in 1000 years and I wake up to see people still punching away on mechanical keyboard, I'm going to be upset. :mad:

Mr. Zuckerberg you're suppose to do market research before investing in the "metaverse" not after!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hughmoris posted:

What do you think will be the successor to keyboard + monitor? A VR headset strapped to our faces and living in the Matrix?

If my body is unfrozen in 1000 years and I wake up to see people still punching away on mechanical keyboard, I'm going to be upset. :mad:

I use a Meta Quest 2 VR headset and it's hella uncomfortable to wear after an hour or so. It also leaves large defined red marks on your face for like 30mins-60mins after you stop using it. We need headsets that are connected to the ceiling or floor with adjustable height, and you kinda walk into it without strapping it to your face, that would be cool.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I went from dual monitors at the office to working 100% of the time on my 14 inch laptop screen when COVID hit. As a SQL developer, with at least half a dozen different tools open at any given time :unsmigghh:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can't work with a screen that small. My productivity drops like a rock.

For folks talking about one big screen not being as comfortable as multiple, check out Microsoft's powertoys fancyzones. A day or two and you'll be just as comfortable.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Inner Light posted:

I use a Meta Quest 2 VR headset and it's hella uncomfortable to wear after an hour or so. It also leaves large defined red marks on your face for like 30mins-60mins after you stop using it. We need headsets that are connected to the ceiling or floor with adjustable height, and you kinda walk into it without strapping it to your face, that would be cool.

Nintendo ahead of its time.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hughmoris posted:

Nintendo ahead of its time.

Instant headache machine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I've unironically tried VR work meetings. A bunch of us have Quest 2 headsets and WFH was driving us insane early in the pandemic. Honestly, it was super fun and very creative. I can see a use case for this in the future with a remote workforce. Not typing or anything, but we used a whiteboard and other similar objects and it worked super well.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've unironically tried VR work meetings. A bunch of us have Quest 2 headsets and WFH was driving us insane early in the pandemic. Honestly, it was super fun and very creative. I can see a use case for this in the future with a remote workforce. Not typing or anything, but we used a whiteboard and other similar objects and it worked super well.

Yeah it's all fun until your coworker shows up in his fersona

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

jaegerx posted:

Yeah it's all fun until your coworker shows up in his fersona

*fursona

smdh

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Zil posted:

*fursona

smdh

Sorry I misidentified your pronoun

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do the meetings end like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TdWPpHkrzo

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just got a Quest 2 and it's pretty cool being able to just have a giant fuckoff screen. I didn't play around much with it, but can you change the resolution of your desktop? Wouldn't mind a 4k 99" screen in my headset.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zil posted:

*fursona

smdh

Trap sprung!!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
e: n/m

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 8, 2022

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I can't work with a screen that small. My productivity drops like a rock.

For folks talking about one big screen not being as comfortable as multiple, check out Microsoft's powertoys fancyzones. A day or two and you'll be just as comfortable.

HyperDock made life a lot easier on Macs too.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Jeoh posted:

HyperDock made life a lot easier on Macs too.

https://rectangleapp.com is also great for this on mac.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
VIP at the last place requested a 40+ ultrawide and ran it at 1920x1080, magnified. Looked like WebTV.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

VIP at the last place requested a 40+ ultrawide and ran it at 1920x1080, magnified. Looked like WebTV.

There is a guy at work with some sort of vision problem, and he has a pair of 32" monitors running at 1920x1080 and his head is about 4 inches from the screen.

Somehow he is able to drive though, something with just focusing on small things on screen.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

First day working without my boss and I'm absolutely swamped between my normal workload and going through open tasks left by his absence. I also got legit sad when I went into his office to get a converter cable and he wasn't there :(. I really liked working for him.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

WebTV is bringing back some memories.

Wasnt there a front page post 15+ years ago about some guy accessing the forums via WebTV and his account got banned?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

WebTV is bringing back some memories.

Wasnt there a front page post 15+ years ago about some guy accessing the forums via WebTV and his account got banned?

yeah there was, you just can't have someone browsing the forum with a dangerous munition

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I thought you'd never ask.

Actually, I'm not the 'phone guy' anymore so that is a whole lot of not my problem.

Now I'm onto why the everloving gently caress we decided it was a good idea to make our file share server a windows clustered server but put both VM's on the same host.
But also why the gently caress even have a clustered server if it's already HA in vSphere and then go the extra mile to lock both to the same host. Impressively stupid.

oh god it gets worse.

Apparently the two clustered machines that are handling this file share each only have like 8gb ram and the last thing our previous engineer did before he left was extend the attached disk's partition to fill the rest of the 40TB volume so now literally any file operation is just loving impossibly slow.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:haw:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Question (not 100% sure if appropriate thread) we havemore and more distant remote users who get company laptops, so far the best thing people have come up with (if the user can't visit campus) is for a tech to log in as the user to build the profile then ship it to them. Seems like there's got to be a more elegant way? I've seen some stuff with logging on with a generic account VPNing in and then doing a "run as" but ehhhhhhh

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm so loving bored with my job. Been doing unix SA work for 20 years,and I've loving had it.

I hate computers, I hate the users of the computers, I hate the people who design the systems at work.

Sorry, had to rant

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cimber posted:

I'm so loving bored with my job. Been doing unix SA work for 20 years,and I've loving had it.

I hate computers, I hate the users of the computers, I hate the people who design the systems at work.

Sorry, had to rant

If you hate SA that much you can just leave. The logoff button is right there!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Chad Jihad posted:

Question (not 100% sure if appropriate thread) we havemore and more distant remote users who get company laptops, so far the best thing people have come up with (if the user can't visit campus) is for a tech to log in as the user to build the profile then ship it to them. Seems like there's got to be a more elegant way? I've seen some stuff with logging on with a generic account VPNing in and then doing a "run as" but ehhhhhhh

You move to AutoPilot and Azure AD with Intune. No matter how much you think you have to have everybody authing against AD and using VPN, you don't - accepting this and not fighting it will put you in a much better position for the future.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agreed. And the sooner people get onboard with those ideas, the better. I've been fighting with people at my current place about it for the past year or so.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Internet Explorer posted:

Agreed. And the sooner people get onboard with those ideas, the better. I've been fighting with people at my current place about it for the past year or so.

This is the way, but there are other ways around it. There are VPN clients that can auth with with a default account or the computer account until the user gets setup. We ship hundreds of laptops a week with this process. They setup Global Protect to login until the user profile gets setup.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There are, but AutoPilot is the only way to provision a Windows device without even having to touch it - which is useful if your IT team are WFH because it's not really an option to turn their houses/apartments into shipping hubs for your company.

You could probably do AutoPilot and then once the device is in management use that to do a Hybrid Join and pull a VPN client down, but it's messy and Hybrid should really be avoided if possible.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Sorry, had to rant

You can't just drop this here without telling exactly how bad this stuff is

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

There are, but AutoPilot is the only way to provision a Windows device without even having to touch it - which is useful if your IT team are WFH because it's not really an option to turn their houses/apartments into shipping hubs for your company.

You could probably do AutoPilot and then once the device is in management use that to do a Hybrid Join and pull a VPN client down, but it's messy and Hybrid should really be avoided if possible.

Correct.

If these folks need to access shared drives and poo poo across a vpn, you have a whole other level of solutions to work through. You have to make a computer joined to an azure ad joined to work as is. The easiest is to make the old legacy poo poo accessible over citrix or use something modern.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

For you Azure security folks, do you have any training/cert/youtube/whatever recommendations to learn and get up to speed?

A former employer is creating a new security position and they're entirely within Azure instead of AWS which has been my current niche. I know they want me to apply, and I'm pretty sure I want to apply, but I want to hit the ground running.

I think even learning whats available with what licenses and where I could go to learn that would be useful. The new licensing is better than the way Microsoft use to do things right? Right....

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BaseballPCHiker posted:

For you Azure security folks, do you have any training/cert/youtube/whatever recommendations to learn and get up to speed?

A former employer is creating a new security position and they're entirely within Azure instead of AWS which has been my current niche. I know they want me to apply, and I'm pretty sure I want to apply, but I want to hit the ground running.

I think even learning whats available with what licenses and where I could go to learn that would be useful. The new licensing is better than the way Microsoft use to do things right? Right....

If your employer is fully invested into azure, try going to https://esi.microsoft.com using your corp azure ad account.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SlowBloke posted:

If your employer is fully invested into azure, try going to https://esi.microsoft.com using your corp azure ad account.

Just fyi, I have passed that link to like 12 people now and that link hasn't worked for a single one of them. I have no idea what the restrictions are, but they might be hefty.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jeeze not for me and we are a massive MS shop.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

doesn't work for me either, and we are all-in on MS with scrooge mcduck-sized sacks of money

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Just fyi, I have passed that link to like 12 people now and that link hasn't worked for a single one of them. I have no idea what the restrictions are, but they might be hefty.

I don't know the numbers, but we have it now and are considering dropping it due to cost.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

We got it as part of a campus agreement contract, negotiated at country level. If your microsoft agreements don't have it, the next best thing is microsoft learn but that will not include mock exams and coursework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SlowBloke posted:

Interesting. I was able to sign in. Looks pretty neat. We already have company wide accounts with Udemy, Degreed, and LinkedIn Learning that I don't use. I'll add this one to the list.