Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

The NHL couldn't even rig the draft lottery to send Matthews to Arizona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Another Bill posted:

Look out into the world at every other public and private institution or business and the corruptions that exist within them. Then ask yourself why you think professional sport is any different.

welp better not watch anything ever again

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ahhhh the Playoff Oilers are back, so nice to see them again

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

The NHL couldn't even rig the draft lottery to send Matthews to Arizona

Maybe they just didn't feel like it

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i like to mess with AsInHowe as much as the next guy. probably more than the next guy. but I do agree with him a bit. i'm kind of expecting it to be more prevalent at some point when you still have poo poo like:

https://twitter.com/bigjimmurray/status/1518632378360598530?s=20&t=8Ne7yR0oJuoNZSpDJI_dYw

now, I don't 100% think that's happening right now, even in the NBA. (except on the disallowed Kakko goal for God's team The New York Rangers that benefited Satan's team The Pittsburgh Penguins). but as AsInHowe said, the pressures for it to happen are much more, which makes me think at some point we will have a situation like Scott Foster in the NHL, and that will be very weird.

i don't know if anyone is tracking the referees/referee crews as it pertains to this, but if there's a stat in which an NHL ref had the losing team in the series be 19-2 and he had 7x the number of phone calls to a literal proven match-fixing referee as any other ref..........well, that would suck. and I think people would be upset, and I wouldn't blame them.

having said that, if they wanna have Scott Foster ref the Rangers game tonight....let's go

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
also I will note that there is a massive global conspiracy to fix MMA fights for sure. the secret is that whoever I bet for, the other person wins. this has been happening for years.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hello NHL goons

I’ve been a “I should actually watch hockey” very, very casual fan for like 15 years or something. Got into it somewhat in the 2000s and learned the game via NHL 10 I think. I caught some Panthers vs Caps games recently and got hooked again. Tonight is the first night I’m skipping the NBA playoffs game in favor of hockey. I’m excited!

The teams I’ve followed are the Blues, Panthers and Lightning. Last two because I like to root for state teams. Being in a “non hockey market” makes it amusing to me. Family is from STL and my parents used to drink with the team in the 70s/80s. It owns that all my teams are pretty good apparently.

I didn’t really know anything about Tony D but I saw him high crosscheck (sorry if that’s the wrong term I’m learning!) a dude and then try to fight about it and was like “what the gently caress is wrong with this dipshit” and I’m glad that’s just an accepted thing lol

Anyway yeah if anyone has anything they think I should know or see or whatever to get me more into hockey I’d love the check it out. Or trash me for jumping in while all my teams are good lmao.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hello NHL goons

I’ve been a “I should actually watch hockey” very, very casual fan for like 15 years or something. Got into it somewhat in the 2000s and learned the game via NHL 10 I think. I caught some Panthers vs Caps games recently and got hooked again. Tonight is the first night I’m skipping the NBA playoffs game in favor of hockey. I’m excited!

The teams I’ve followed are the Blues, Panthers and Lightning. Last two because I like to root for state teams. Being in a “non hockey market” makes it amusing to me. Family is from STL and my parents used to drink with the team in the 70s/80s. It owns that all my teams are pretty good apparently.

I didn’t really know anything about Tony D but I saw him high crosscheck (sorry if that’s the wrong term I’m learning!) a dude and then try to fight about it and was like “what the gently caress is wrong with this dipshit” and I’m glad that’s just an accepted thing lol

Anyway yeah if anyone has anything they think I should know or see or whatever to get me more into hockey I’d love the check it out. Or trash me for jumping in while all my teams are good lmao.

Root for whichever team you want during games, it's meant to be an enjoyable distraction from real life.

As for specific players, Tony D is a bigoted shithead that is unfortunately quite the talented offensive defenseman.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hello NHL goons

Welcome! Sorry the Caps are making the Panthers less fun to watch than usual.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
panthers are the greatest team in nhl history, become extremely attached to them and you will only find joy.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The more teams you cheer for, the better. I wish I had another team to cheer for other than the Leafs.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hello NHL goons

welcome friend. definitely root for whoever, but I would always recommend developing a crippling dependent relationship on one team.

cons: if that team is the Canucks, you could end up like ThinkTank. if that team is the Flyers, you end up like any of FAS (Flyers Argument Stadium[though some of that has to do with just being Philadelphian]). those are grim places to be for years on end if the team is awful. read Kafka's Before the Law short story if you want a more detailed synopsis. alternatively, you could end up like the Ottawa fans on here who rooted for their owner's death for years and celebrated it when it happened, and who now are probably secreting rooting for more death in that family.

point being is that you get to develop a mental illness that's particular to a specific franchise/city/fanbase, and that can be an interesting life experience. of the teams you picked, the Blues fans and Lightning fans on here were relatively long suffering (the Blues from perpetually being just-not-quite-good-enough and the Lightning from literally hiring Barry Melrose), but they've both recently won Cups. the Lightning fan(s) on here have morphed into excellent front-runner trolls who proudly argue for their team's cheating, so they've shifted well. it's a nice addition to the forums. the Blues fans had been suffering for about 50 years so they're still trying to figure it out. they're reverting a bit too much into suffering again, like they don't necessarily know how to handle a recent cup-winning team.

the Panthers would be my team if I were you. they're the highest-scoring team, they have a super fun roster, and they could go any number of ways. they could choke this year, fire their coach, and try and lock down into some awful defensive team, or they could choke this year, change nothing, and keep trying to run-and-gun. it will probably be a wild 4-5 years for them no matter what given their roster/goaltending/style.

pros: my team (and God's Team, as mentioned before) just made the playoffs again after 4-5 years of rebuilding, and friend, playoff hockey rules if you have that type of insane attachment most of this forum does. especially overtime playoff hockey. it's extremely tense and dramatic. it feels like it will never end. but if your team wins it, it's hard to overstate the pent-up catharsis. losing in triple-OT in the first round a week ago sucked, but I was at game 5 in New York in 2014 when we beat the Canadiens in the conference finals in overtime. it was so fun. i almost poo poo my pants in public and got a ton of beer spilled on me.

if you're looking for just general hockey content, this was posted recently and was a good read, an oral history of the 96-97 Red Wings. there's a lot of stuff like that on YouTube. SBNation/Beef History/Secret Base do pretty good hockey videos, including one on that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIzNQydkBi0

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Another Bill posted:

Look out into the world at every other public and private institution or business and the corruptions that exist within them. Then ask yourself why you think professional sport is any different.

Because I'm not watching Serie B or C or A

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pros to rooting for one lovely team only: the rest of your life seems more pleasant by comparison.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Pros to rooting for one lovely team only: the rest of your life seems more pleasant by comparison.

:hmmyes:

Become a Leafs fan and face to neverending disappointment

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The great thing about the Leafs is that every year they manage to find a way to get their fans to let their guard down before they kick them in the dick.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Panthers and the Lightning are currently at the peak of their competitiveness right now.. both of them have cap troubles brewing ahead (to be fair the Lightning have been living that reality for a few years now) and how well they can hang on to their status as cup contenders kind of depends on how shrewd their front office can be in deciding which core players to keep vs send out, and what additions can be made to bolster their roster on the limited space they have to play with. Both teams have very highly regarded front offices.

The Blues are kind of in an interesting spot.. the stats boys are none too high on that team, if there is a such a thing as luck that can be measured in hockey the Blues have benefited from it tremendously this season - although to be fair their performance as a team did significantly improve in the last month or 6 weeks of the season leading up to the playoffs, and they are now giving Minnesota (a drat good team) a real fight for their money.

Before this year many were predicting the Blues to be on the decline as a franchise, as their performance in 2020-21 was quite terrible (they finished closer to the Arizona Coyotes than the the next closest playoff team in their division, and got clowned on by Colorado in a 4-0 series sweep in the first round). This year however they've had breakout seasons from three young forwards that look like franchise cornerstones in Robert Thomas, Jordan Kyrou, and Ivan Barbashev. The Blues also made a very shrewd trade for Pavel Buchnevich who was an all star caliber player before he got to St. Louis, and the result is a new level of optimism around the team. If Colorado ever takes a step back in the division, St. Louis could be the teams that can take advantage of the opportunity.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
If anyone gets a chance, read Freakonomics (pdf of text). Chapter 1 goes into cheating in Sumo wrestling. It happens. [Chapter 4 is also relevant these days.]

I remember that Lakers/Kings Game 6. Something was off there.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The great thing about the Leafs is that every year they manage to find a way to get their fans to let their guard down before they kick them in the dick.

I posted that the optimism from Leafs fans was making me nervous just before game 4 puck drop and, well... wasn't exactly hard to get that prediction

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/iancmclaren/status/1523724110039298051?s=20&t=kNGW-gMZnK4cNvcb1z8qlw

The worst thing Tony D ever did was make me appreciate Marchand's antics one time, and also possibly sympathize with Bruins fans if the NHL actually does anything about it

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/iancmclaren/status/1523724110039298051?s=20&t=kNGW-gMZnK4cNvcb1z8qlw

The worst thing Tony D ever did was make me appreciate Marchand's antics one time, and also possibly sympathize with Bruins fans if the NHL actually does anything about it

Hard to do something when he’s just stating a well known fact. It’s not like he flipped off a well known rear end in a top hat and lovely person on broadcast. But even that kind of back fired on the league.

If they even fine him they need to fine nearly every single player out there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Can't wait for a few years from now when everyone is saying "I hated Marchand as a player, but he's a great analyst" because I'm like 99% sure that's going to happen.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He has a face made for radio, for sure

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
listen, I loved Tony D when he was on the Rangers from a hockey standpoint, but if you're gonna sign that guy, you have to put up with him being called a loving racist. I'm sure Marchand truly doesn't care and is just using whatever he can to rile him up, so kudos for some A+ pest work, but that's incredibly stupid if they try to discourage that. everything is fair play on the ice except for actual racism/homophobia/bigotry

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lmao if the league does more for calling somebody a racist than years of homophobia and racism on the ice

Also, one of the problems the Blues face going forward is the young guys are lined up for a big payday in a year and Doug Armstrong has unwisely tethered the boat to a bunch of decent but aging players for several more years (and Binnington). The defense is a mess that has no real hope in sight in the minors/juniors.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The NHL is far too dumb to have a successful conspiracy theory about rigging games.

The NBA I would totally believe.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

If Tony D didn’t want to get chirped for being booted from multiple organizations for a being a shithead, racist, homophobic, rear end in a top hat who was openly antagonistic towards officials and teammates maybe he shouldn’t have done those things and maybe the league should understand that he will always get heat for his previous, very public, behavior.

I’m not excusing the unfortunately large number of NHLers who probably exist on the same political spectrum as Tony D but not being such a public bigot is part of the game and therefore they aren’t going to be held to the same standard.

gently caress Tony D and gently caress Carolina for signing him, and if the league steps against Marchand, and I can’t believe I’m defending him, but gently caress them too.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Kilometers Davis posted:

The teams I’ve followed are the Blues, Panthers and Lightning. Last two because I like to root for state teams. Being in a “non hockey market” makes it amusing to me.

Having local team(s) is great because you get most of their games on your local sports networks.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's the playoffs so you've got the top half of the league on national TV with games every night. Watch some games and you'll find some players and team(s) you like watching.

[spoiler]Then watch other fans melt down over their irrational loyalty to one team, and demand that their star player be traded because they think they're paid more than they're worth and there's a salary cap.[spoiler]

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Mr. Kite posted:

If anyone gets a chance, read Freakonomics (pdf of text). Chapter 1 goes into cheating in Sumo wrestling. It happens. [Chapter 4 is also relevant these days.]

I remember that Lakers/Kings Game 6. Something was off there.
I watched that game live, and despite not knowing nearly as much about basketball, it was pretty evident something fucky was afoot.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Be a fan of whatever team is close enough to go to the games. Hockey is good on TV, but it's an excellent in-arena experience.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Never discount minor league hockey either. Hell, any minor league sport for that matter. Wild frontier, they are.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FunOne posted:

Be a fan of whatever team is close enough to go to the games. Hockey is good on TV, but it's an excellent in-arena experience.

And Panthers are still a very affordable team to go see. Come join us.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't be a fan of any team, just watch whatever game is on at a set time every night. If multiple, watch whichever matchup seems the most entertaining.

Watch hockey for the cool plays and great goals, that's all. Picking a single team only leads to disappointment.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

xzzy posted:

Don't be a fan of any team, just watch whatever game is on at a set time every night. If multiple, watch whichever matchup seems the most entertaining.

Watch hockey for the cool plays and great goals, that's all. Picking a single team only leads to disappointment.

A fellow Blackhawks fan I see.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schremp Howard posted:

The NHL is far too dumb to have a successful conspiracy theory about rigging games.

The NBA I would totally believe.

this mirrors my thoughts

also i think all combat sports are probably rigged to a significant degree

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bewbies posted:

this mirrors my thoughts

also i think all combat sports are probably rigged to a significant degree

I used to watch a lot of boxing before MMA really took off. The fixes were so obvious in the mid-late 90s, it was a loving joke..... except it has always been like that. For decades, centuries even.

Apologies for the derail.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Another Bill posted:

I used to watch a lot of boxing before MMA really took off. The fixes were so obvious in the mid-late 90s, it was a loving joke..... except it has always been like that. For decades, centuries even.

Apologies for the derail.

Jesus, how old are you?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Boxing has been fixed by gamblers from day one basically. Wyatt Earp as a referee infamously took part in an obvious fix in probably the biggest boxing match in history up to that time, well over a century ago.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

everything is fair play on the ice except for actual racism/homophobia/bigotry
As far as 'the code' goes, I've also heard that talking about other players' kids is considered off limits too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also about things like alcoholism, cancer, etc.