Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly Jordan, you had been with your former crew for... I'm not sure but a short time. And now you're in a timeline where there's no death game so I'd take that as a win.

Interesting that in this universe we get a completely different crew (probably made from other genes), a male Ai... but Kimiko is still the captain. That's 100% significant to the whole mess. (Also no Jordan=no Dai is looking even more likely).

Edit: Update on last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Aw, we don't even get to meet more of this alternate crew? Where's the fun in that?

Gotta agree though, this is a pretty good ending for Jordan all things considered.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

That's a nice ending and definitely seems like a win for everyone involved. The fact that Kimiko is present in the alt universe is clearly significant. I also think there's probably some significance to the fact that adding Jordan to the mix here makes it nine crew members...and the original universe was fine with 9 members then went off the rails when Jordan joined the ship to get up to 10.

Is there a non-spoilery decision tree that we could see just to track where we've been? Either one in the game with stuff added to cover up the poo poo we haven't seen and/or a :effort: decision tree sketched up in MS paint or whatever. Just trying to track where we've been.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

MagusofStars posted:

Is there a non-spoilery decision tree that we could see just to track where we've been? Either one in the game with stuff added to cover up the poo poo we haven't seen and/or a :effort: decision tree sketched up in MS paint or whatever. Just trying to track where we've been.

I can try and throw something together if people want :v: there is a flowchart in-game but it is legitimately the worst designed flowchart I've ever engaged with and is barely usable if you don't already know a lot of the mechanical stuff or where what you're looking for is. (and also it has spoilers on it since im using my old save file to save time)

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
It's apparent now that the pocket watch will power up whenever it enters a zone where time is dilated, which means that the destination will always be at around the same time as the original dimension (traversing the black hole's vicinity).

This probably explains why the first time it was used earlier in the LP, Jordan ended up in a timeline where everything had gone to poo poo due to multiple rounds of the Deletion Game having been played and/or Kimiko having possibly died, leading to Dai turning off life support.

E:

Mix. posted:

I can try and throw something together if people want :v: there is a flowchart in-game but it is legitimately the worst designed flowchart I've ever engaged with and is barely usable if you don't already know a lot of the mechanical stuff or where what you're looking for is. (and also it has spoilers on it since im using my old save file to save time)

I'm guessing it's nothing like VLR's flowchart, huh

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Very Melon posted:

I'm guessing it's nothing like VLR's flowchart, huh

imagine if you would 5-7 updates worth of scenes being one single node on the flowchart with no way to go to a specific segment of that section. and also you have no actual way of knowing what story beats actually happen in any of those nodes past the genericc 'this is when logiship happens', 'this is the space between make 10 and logiship', 'this is a dead ending' title and no other specific details :eng99:

i explicitly went and threw together a massive outline of everything that happens broadly on every path in this VN before I even started making any updates specifically as a reference in case I needed to know where anything was because the game itself had no way internally of telling me that

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

New reality is definitely much better than old reality

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011

Mix. posted:

imagine if you would 5-7 updates worth of scenes being one single node on the flowchart with no way to go to a specific segment of that section. and also you have no actual way of knowing what story beats actually happen in any of those nodes past the genericc 'this is when logiship happens', 'this is the space between make 10 and logiship', 'this is a dead ending' title and no other specific details :eng99:

i explicitly went and threw together a massive outline of everything that happens broadly on every path in this VN before I even started making any updates specifically as a reference in case I needed to know where anything was because the game itself had no way internally of telling me that

:dogbutton:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Mix. posted:

I always find it a little easier to track when there's some kind of flowchart. If there isn't a decent in-game one, I can probably half-assedly throw something together in PowerPoint or whatever if you'd like.

And once later in the game, when there's no potential spoilers on the in-game one, I'd love to see this clusterfuck of a flow chart.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I've got one in progress already, I'll post it when I'm done. :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Okay, I may have gone a little overboard, but here you go, a functional graph of everything we've seen so far in this LP! I have it set up so I can make an updated version of this down the line if/when people want it!

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
I was going to make a joke about finally getting some use of that Visio license, but godspeed with that project; I can see that it's not going to be easy to keep it up to date.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That's a fine-looking chart.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
:golfclap:

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 5, 2022

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

If not for the "update X" titles, those charts honestly look like they could be from the game itself; they fit the game that well.

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
Looking at the chart now in more detail, we've never really gotten to play the vampire game proper, huh? On mJordan's side, our oxygen gets turned off courtesy of the captain before we even begin, and on fJordan's side, we get transported into the good universe where everything's normal.

E: Also, judging on the last CG of that update:

It looks like the accident that happened (10?/20?) years ago which took out a lot of the ship's supplies didn't happen in this reality, because that sure is a feast the crew is having!

Very Melon fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 5, 2022

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
I, too, agree that the flowcharts look very nice! :cheeky:

Very Melon posted:

It looks like the accident that happened (10?/20?) years ago which took out a lot of the ship's supplies didn't happen in this reality, because that sure is a feast the crew is having!

That does make sense as the Point of Diversion for this alternate reality; no disaster = no previous Captain going murdery for fear of resource shortages = no DAI. (And Jordan's parents presumably felt less pressure to have a kid to carry on their legacy, since they weren't flying off alone and the crew hadn't been cut down.)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:v: As fun as it's been learning more about an alternate dimension, we still have pressing concerns in our own timeline. Now, Jordan will resist the urge to push the button...

[BGM: Drink Deep of the Universe]
Just pressing the button, regardless of how happy I am, might be a mistake.

I took a deep breath and considered the situation for a moment. My thought process wasn't being overly helpful- rather, it was preoccupied. The watch... The watch... it's on! I think... The watch!

Super helpful, brain.

I decided to wake Yoshiki up and ask for his opinion. He would have to provide more help than my current brain! Holding the watch in one hand, I used the other to start gently pushing on Yoshiki's shoulder.

Yoshiki, wake up!

Caaaaan't, sleeeping.

He simply brushed off my gentle nudges. It appeared I might have to get creative.

Yoshiki! The Engineering Bay is on fire!

WHAT?!

Yoshiki pounced out of bed and his “burrito wrapping”, and without hesitation, ran out of my Quarters in little more than his boxers.

Um... that didn't go as planned.

I sat on the side of the bed, fixated on the watch. It wasn't long before my Quarter's door opened, revealing an embarrassed Yoshiki who was in the midst of a scolding. I could hear the captain, who was in the hallway.

I do not want to see you again until you are dressed appropriately!

Captain, I...

I am disappointed in you, Yoshiki.

I could see Yoshiki's eyes welling with tears as the Quarters doors shut behind him. He quickly became dressed as he attempted to avoid eye contact with me.

Yoshiki, I'm s-

Why would you tell me the Engineering Bay is on fire?!

I was trying to get you to wake up!

Why, so I could get in trouble? Yeah, thanks a lot!

I could see he was pretty upset. I didn't mean to get him in trouble.

I wanted to show you this...

I passed the now glowing pocket watch over to Yoshiki. His eyes dried up immediately, and all signs of distress drained from his face as a smile started encroaching across it.

Your watch! It's working?!

Yeah, I woke up and it was on. I was going to press the butto-

YOU CAN'T!

What?

You can't press the button! I... I... forbid it!

Yoshiki suddenly looked uncertain.

You are.... forboded? Wait, is that a word?

Yes, no, maybe- I'm not sure! That's not the point!

Yoshiki simply stared at me, pouting.

This is a flavor choice, I just wanted to show the options. :v:

Why don't you want me to press the button?

Well...

Yoshiki made his way over to me, sitting next to me on the bed.

You only just came into my life, and... You can't just leave!

Yoshiki's eyes were filled with determination.

Why would I be leaving?

The watch is supposed to allow you to change dimensions, right?

Well, yeah...

So if you press the button, it might make you leave... I don't want you to leave!

Yoshiki grabbed my hands and he looked into my eyes, beggingly.

Please don't press the button... unless...

Unless?

Unless you can take me with you!

Yoshiki smiled warmly, but I could see his eyes were terrified that I might leave.

Alright, alright. I will leave the pocket watch alone until I can ensure that if I press the button- I can take you with me.

Yoshiki leaped forwards, wrapping me in his arms.

Thank you bestie! I will ensure that you don't ever regret this!

I hugged him back just as tight.

I could never regret spending more time with you.

So... do we have to get up right now? Or can we go back to sleep?

Does this answer your question?

I started wrapping myself in my blanket. Yoshiki soon followed. It wasn't soon before we both were fast asleep.

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]

Oh ho ho ho- what do we have here?

I wriggled free from my blanket to see Dai standing at the end of my bed, smiling slyly.

Dai?

Feeling refreshed this morning? Or were you up all niiiight?

What? Why would I have been up all night?

Dai nodded towards the Yoshiki Burrito that was still sleeping, mouth open, next to me.

It's not what it looks like!

Look sister, power to you! I just...

What?

Really? Yoshiki!?

Hey! What's wrong with Yoshiki?

Yoshiki began stirring awake as I was attempting to defend his honor.

Well... I guess... I did already kill the most handsome man on the ship...

Yoshiki is a great man! A handsome man!

Mum, shhhh, I'm trying to sleep!

Ohhhhh, Oedipus complex, eh? You're right, he's a keeper!

Really, Yoshiki? Of all the times to half asleep call me mum?

Anywho- I am here for a reason!

Oh?

I have come to inform you, and mommy-lover over there, your roles for this round of the Deletion Game, Vampire Children.

When does the game start?!

In about two hours~ So you will have plenty of time to deduce.

Deduce?

You want to breed blindly with a vampire?! Well, I guess your taste in partners is already questionable...

Argh, Dai, grow up!

Hahahahaha, grow up?! Look at the kettle calling the pot black! Why are you getting so upset?

Just tell me my role!

Can no do- not with him here!

Fine, I'll go wait in Yoshiki's quarters while you tell him, and then please come tell me.

Why wouldn't he leave? These are your quarters!

He just called me mom. He isn't going anywhere fast- unless you yel-

YOSHIKI, THE ENGINEERING BAY IS ON FIRE!

...fire.

Yoshiki shot up once again, panicked, and ran out of my quarters- this time, still wrapped in his blanket.

Problem solved.

Aw man. I'm going to hear about this later. He is NOT gonna be happy that this happened again.

*ahem* Now, your role...

Come on, human...

Bum bum...

What?! Really??

Hahahaha, yeah, sorry! You have been selected as this game's vampire- congratulations!

This doesn't feel like something I should be congratulated for...

Oh, Jordan, such a naive stance...

What, why?!

Being the vampire- this is your game, your time to shine!

How is that?

Being the vampire means you are in control, and if handled correctly, a sure victory!

Doesn't feel like that...

And it won't be with that attitude! Jordan, have some faith in yourself- I know I do!

Really?

Yup! Still hoping you come out on top! Well, I best go deal with Yoshiki- Toodles~

Dai dissipated from my Quarters, leaving me alone in my bed- for the first time in days.

The vampire, eh?...

I took a deep breath.

I guess now is when I need to make my biggest decision in this game.

Will I play alone? Or will I get myself a Clyde?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Oh boy. Jordan is dead.

Can we get Shizuka on board with us? That might be our best chance of winning.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

I was really bored, so I decided to compare the original universe (OU) characters to their alternate universe (AU) counterparts. Now, this is all just speculation so don't take this too seriously. :science:

First, let's look at the woman with the long black hair in a ponytail we have already met. She's obviously an AU Beatrix. The guy sitting on the chair she has her hands on is likely an AU Nikolas, and they're either related or good friends. They work in the same profession aboard due to similar uniform colors.

The girl next to them is AU Shizuka. OU and AU Shizuka both have a purple uniform.

The two guys next to AU Shizuka are AU Vladimir and Sora. In the OU they are married, so it's likely they are married here as well (which would probably also explain the absence of a child).

The last two, however, can be a little hard to figure out. One of them is obviously AU Yoshiki and the other Katashi in the process of elimination (I did not include Melody as there are no children present in the scene). Yoshiki wears mostly while while Katashi wears green, which leads me to believe that the woman is AU Yoshiki since black is the opposite of white and the man is AU Katashi since he's wearing green.

What's interesting is, however, AU Sora and Katashi are both wearing the same uniform which leads me to believe that there is no need for Agriculture as they already have enough resources for everyone aboard even with Jordan's sudden arrival (maybe they have their food transported in somehow?). Them being able to avoid a black hole may be due to their combined efforts in navigation - both OU Shizuka and Sora wears the same uniform and they share navigation duties after all. As for AU Shizuka, this may result her to focus sorely on Linguistics, or she may actually be taking on a part time responsibility with Agriculture which would make a bit more sense with how they are keeping things organized in terms of food aboard.

Again, this is just purely speculation on my part. We may get to know more of the AU crew later on in the LP. Or we may not. We shall have to wait and see! :allears:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sketchie posted:

I was really bored, so I decided to compare the original universe (OU) characters to their alternate universe (AU) counterparts. Now, this is all just speculation so don't take this too seriously. :science:

First, let's look at the woman with the long black hair in a ponytail we have already met. She's obviously an AU Beatrix. The guy sitting on the chair she has her hands on is likely an AU Nikolas, and they're either related or good friends. They work in the same profession aboard due to similar uniform colors.

The girl next to them is AU Shizuka. OU and AU Shizuka both have a purple uniform.

The two guys next to AU Shizuka are AU Vladimir and Sora. In the OU they are married, so it's likely they are married here as well (which would probably also explain the absence of a child).

The last two, however, can be a little hard to figure out. One of them is obviously AU Yoshiki and the other Katashi in the process of elimination (I did not include Melody as there are no children present in the scene). Yoshiki wears mostly while while Katashi wears green, which leads me to believe that the woman is AU Yoshiki since black is the opposite of white and the man is AU Katashi since he's wearing green.

What's interesting is, however, AU Sora and Katashi are both wearing the same uniform which leads me to believe that there is no need for Agriculture as they already have enough resources for everyone aboard even with Jordan's sudden arrival (maybe they have their food transported in somehow?). Them being able to avoid a black hole may be due to their combined efforts in navigation - both OU Shizuka and Sora wears the same uniform and they share navigation duties after all. As for AU Shizuka, this may result her to focus sorely on Linguistics, or she may actually be taking on a part time responsibility with Agriculture which would make a bit more sense with how they are keeping things organized in terms of food aboard.

Again, this is just purely speculation on my part. We may get to know more of the AU crew later on in the LP. Or we may not. We shall have to wait and see! :allears:

It's pretty interesting speculation though should also just note that the alternate universe crew is at least partially / likely all author/Kickstarter backer self-inserts. The doctor MC (MoltenCherry) is an alias of the main writer/developer of the game, and one of them is named Teofilo who IIRC was a Kickstarter backer who was always enthused about the game during its long development (he was also name dropped as the developer of Shizuka's unicorn game).

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Item Getter posted:

It's pretty interesting speculation though should also just note that the alternate universe crew is at least partially / likely all author/Kickstarter backer self-inserts. The doctor MC (MoltenCherry) is an alias of the main writer/developer of the game, and one of them is named Teofilo who IIRC was a Kickstarter backer who was always enthused about the game during its long development (he was also name dropped as the developer of Shizuka's unicorn game).
Ah, yes, that is a very good point. I tend to over analyze things sometimes. Just a way to keep myself busy.

Sorry for the rambling, haha.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Okay, so, as much as this seems like a branching path point like it was on the other Yoshiki route, it's not really one, because there's still a “major event” we haven't hit yet... There is a small scene based on which option you choose, but they aren't worth showing in full- if Jordan goes lone wolf, she just hangs out in her quarters thinking of how to go about the game and it skips immediately to the “major event”. If she decides to get a Clyde, you can actually choose between several people, but most of those options are fakeouts- Shizuka and Katashi are already revealing their roles to each other and making plans for finding the vampire, so they're out, and Vladimir is more interested in ensuring Melody's survival- and if he was to partner with someone that wasn't her in Round One it would be Very Obvious Something Was Up. :v: Which, well. Yeah, fair point. So all of those just skip straight to the "major event", too.

Therefore, there's only one option left...

Let's get a Clyde! Alright- two heads are better than one... but whose head? There is only one choice! And that is Yoshiki!

I made my way to the Engineering Bay, where I expected to find Yoshiki flustered.

Hey, Bestie- sorry that Dai lie-

The Engineering Bay was bellowing smoke. Walking in made my eyes sting.

Wait... there's a fire?!

Just a moment, bestie! Just getting this under control!

I stood gobsmacked.

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]
Shhh, don't tell Yoshiki, but I felt bad about lying to him...

Dai? What?!

So, I stopped lying!

By starting a fire?!

Yup! I sent a surge to one of the computer consoles.

You started a fire cause you felt bad?!

Yeah! What, you think I would start a fire for fun? I'm not a lunatic, Jordan!

Dai huffed and zapped out of the Engineering Bay.

Alright! That should do it!

Are you okay?!

Yeah! Just appears one of the computer consoles caught fire after a power surge.

I tried to act unaware of the situation that had just unfolded.

I wonder how that happened??

Yoshiki just shrugged.

Surges just happen sometimes.

Huh...

Did you get your role?!

Yeah, I did...

Yoshiki gasped.

What?!

YES!

Yes what?!

I will be your Clyde!

How do you know I'm the vampire?

Best friends, remember? We can read each other's minds! Just how you knew I was given the human role...

Well, that was beca-

BEST FRIENDS!~

I just let out a frustrated sigh.

So, how are we approaching this?!

I... hadn't really gotten further in planning than asking you to join me...

Hahahaha, that's okay bestie, because I have a great plan!

Yeah?

We can just talk to each other, via telekinesis, during the game to ensure we strategize, but so no one else can overhear!

Um... but-

We shouldn't spend any more time together! We don't want people to be suspicious of us! I will talk to you via telekinesis once I get to my Quarters!

Before I could rebut, Yoshiki had run out of the Engineering Bay. I let out a further, heavier sigh and made my way back to my Quarters.

I sat on the end of my bed, and humoring Yoshiki's theory, waited to hear him via telekinesis.

Nothing.

Of course I can't hear anything!!

I placed my head in my hands as I began trying to contemplate how to communicate with Yoshiki in other ways- you know- ways that work.

Suddenly, Ai appeared in my Quarters.

Jordan, we need to speak.

Oh, Ai, good morning.

I do not have long- come to the server room.

Ai zapped out of my Quarters, leaving me quite confused. I had never heard her sound quite so... human? She seemed worried- a side of her I hadn't really seen before. I looked at my tablet to locate the server room. I had never been there. It wasn't long before I had the location and made my way there.

When I arrived, Ai was already standing in attention, awaiting my arrival.

I must make this quick- Dai is brute forcing programs and functions.

What?!

She is attempting to take control, but I am doing my best to keep her at bay- for now.

What's wrong? What's happening?

Dai found that the personnel tablets were capable of overriding the main system, and has severed that conneciton.

I can no longer deactivate Dai?

You can, but it must happen here, via the server mainframe.

But I don't know the password!

This is your only chance. I have gained the security clearance required to allow you to override the system- right now.

What?! I'm not ready!

Once you input the override code, the ship's A.I. system will reset.

I don't have the deactivation code...

Ai started to flicker as I could see she was struggling to keep all functions operational. I saw the screen burst to life at the back of the server room, opening to a password input screen. Ai subsequently disappeared, her voice ringing out through the P.A.

Jordan... you always had it.

The override code...

Well, we still haven't encountered anything even connected to the override code yet, so unfortunately...

I have no idea... I... just don't know...

The screen suddenly shut off, with the lights dimming in the entire server room.

Huh? What? Ai?

There was no response.

Ai?

Still nothing.

[BGM: Silence]

I quickly made my way from the server room into the Hallways- which too were dark.

Um... hello?

I started making my way slowly down the Hallway. Something was wrong.

Captain? Yoshiki?

I stuck my head into the Dining Hall.

Katashi? Shizuka?

Suddenly, the silence was pierced by a scream.

[BGM: Signs of Battle]
I ran towards the scream. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears as my brain was pleading with my legs to stop- to run in the other direction- but yet, I kept running towards the scream. I wasn't even entirely sure where I was anymore in the ship, my legs had simply taken me here- the room was dimly lit.

I stopped suddenly.

Captain?

Jordan, please, help...

Captain! What happened?!

I killed Yoshiki...

What?! Why?!

I... killed me...

I... I don't understand.

She continued to stumble towards me, clenching her wound.

I have a knife. Please, help me... stop me.

You have a knife?!

I took a step back, unsure how to process what was happening.

Where am I?

Captain?

I lost sight... of me.

I looked around, still unable to discern where we were.

I don't know where we are.

Not us, me.

She was still speaking in riddles. I didn't know what to do, what do I do?! I started taking more steps backwards, unsure of how I could help the captain, especially if she has a knife, and she killed Yoshiki?

Jordan, no! I'm behind you!

Before I had a chance to turn, I felt a sudden, sharp pressure in my lower back. A warm sensation was flowing from the point.

She doesn't appreciate you. She doesn't deserve you.

Suddenly the pressure was twisted, and as it did, excruciating pain shot through my spine and into my legs.

Arggggghhh!

Suddenly the pressure was ripped from my spine, and with it, I toppled to the ground, unable to stand. I clenched my eyes closed as they began filling with tears.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]
Captain?

I'm sorry, Jordan.

Who... attacked me?

I did. I also attacked me...

I felt the captain place her blood covered hand on my own, gripping it tightly.

I'm sorry I couldn't protect us.

I gripped back.

Mirror matches are always challenging.

Is that... a joke? At a time like this?

Hahaha... *cough* ...when is a better time?

I could feel my pain fading, it was quite refreshing. My body was suddenly beginning to feel much lighter.

Jordan, stay with me... Jordan! Please, sta-

BAD END – YOSHIKI (F SIDE)

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

what.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Could the Captain be two people?

Or, could the Captain be two variants of the same person, one from another dimension?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
So, uh, that sure happened.

My theorizing: Ai's deletion brought on a containment breach between dimensions that allowed murdery Kimiko to pass through and do some murdering.

also but less related: Yoshiki has fast gone from 'tee hee quirky' to 'if the writers thought this character was charming, it speaks badly of them and their writing ability'.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Either there is another way to travel dimensions, which is how we got Murder Kimiko on board, or...

...the Captains are all the same accross dimensions because they're all clones of the same person: Kimiko's mother had a different name but might as well have been Kimiko, and Kimiko was the only one who didn't change on AltVerse. That's why Dai is so "loyal" to Kimiko, they're the same being. And given we've seen a Kimiko go murder crazy it would explain her mum also going crazy.

Of course, we can also veer into "Kimiko's mom uses clone-daughters to live longer" but that's getting too close to JUNKOS for my liking.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yoshiki, telekinesis is moving things with your mind-talking to someone mind-to-mind is telepathy.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Either there is another way to travel dimensions, which is how we got Murder Kimiko on board, or...

...the Captains are all the same accross dimensions because they're all clones of the same person: Kimiko's mother had a different name but might as well have been Kimiko, and Kimiko was the only one who didn't change on AltVerse. That's why Dai is so "loyal" to Kimiko, they're the same being. And given we've seen a Kimiko go murder crazy it would explain her mum also going crazy.

Of course, we can also veer into "Kimiko's mom uses clone-daughters to live longer" but that's getting too close to JUNKOS for my liking.

Ooh, cloning the captain each generation to ensure a sort of continuity is an interesting idea! It would be a sort of parallel situation to the AI--the same AI watches over the ship through the generations (or at least that was the original intent, pre-Dai), and is accompanied by a string of genetically-identical Captains (who will of course not be actually-identical thanks to differing environmental factors and free will, but it's as close to keeping the same Captain as non-immortal humans can get).

If we have a situation where there's secretly a Kimiko clone that's been on the ship this whole time, and the office of Captain is supposed to pass seamlessly from one Captain-clone to the next... it does raise the question of why Dai got upset enough to shut off the life support when Beatrix killed Kimiko in that other Bad End. Though if that hypothetical clone was emotionally unstable/murdery, then maybe Dai didn't accept that other Kimiko clone as a potential captain.

(Leaving aside the impracticality of having a Secret Clone Nobody Knows About in a closed setting where it's presumably hard to keep secrets, of course.)

Though yeah, Murder Kimiko might have also just have come from a timeline in which she somehow got all murdery and subsequently got ahold of the Timeline-Hopping-Pocketwatch. (Maybe in Murder Kimiko's home timeline, Murder Kimiko's mother told her more about her Dai-related plans, so Murder Kimiko was able to use that knowledge to disable this timeline's Dai/Ai and... kill everyone for some reason. Maybe some sort of vengeance for the mutiny that happened against the previous Captain in this timeline.)

PepperedMoth fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 10, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
Funnily enough, all of these shenanigans in many of the paths we've seen seem to happen whenever the ship gets inside the black hole's time dilation zone, so I'm wondering if the latter is some sort of cursed Event Horizon cosmic feature that causes all sorts of bad stuff to happen once you pass by it.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Now that I'm re-reading the dialogue... Non-Stabby Kimiko refers to Stabby Kimiko as "I" and "me," which is a really weird and unnecessarily-confusing way of phrasing things--if I suddenly discovered that there was a copy of me running around stabbing people, I'd say "someone who looks like me." "Doppelganger," "evil twin," or "clone" would also work. I guess you could chalk it up to her being a little delirious after getting stabbed... but maybe it means something. (If we go with the clone theory, then maybe one could argue that non-Stabby Kimiko sees her clone as part of herself rather than her sister/twin for some reason... especially if there's some sort of memory transference thing going on, or they're both serving as "Captain" in different ways, or something.)

But as Stabby Kimiko gets to stabbing, she says "She doesn't appreciate you. She doesn't deserve you." So she doesn't have the same first-person-pronoun speech pattern as Non-Stabby Kimiko, or else she's talking to some unseen third party. And the fact that this one of F!Jordan's routes means that the "she/you" is ambiguous--is the "you" Jordan or Non-Stabby Kimiko? (Though Jordan being the "she" makes a little more sense, since Stabby Kimiko presumably feels closer to her double... though not close enough to, y'know, not stab her.)

Though--wild crackpot theory--maybe the "she" is Ai/Dai. "The AI doesn't appreciate you (the humans she was designed to care for). She doesn't deserve you (so I'm going to kill all of you, and she's going to feel real bad when she wakes up or something.)"

If Stabby Kimiko really is an alternate-universe Kimiko, maybe we'll see her snatch the watch and disappear during one of the other routes and finally learn why she's so darn stab-happy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm thinking 'split personality' myself?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Split personalities usually don't allow you to backstab someone while you're facing them, but I suppose we didn't get a good look at the killer.

Joke answer: There are seven Kimikos, one for each day of the week. They spend the other six days in crypto-sleep, so they will last seven times as long as the other passengers.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Ai/Dai can look like whoever she wants.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Quackles posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Ai/Dai can look like whoever she wants.
New theory: there is nobody on the ship except Jordan and D/ai

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Foxfire_ posted:

You might wanna put a pin in that. There's something interesting there.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Leraika posted:

So, uh, that sure happened.

My theorizing: Ai's deletion brought on a containment breach between dimensions that allowed murdery Kimiko to pass through and do some murdering.

also but less related: Yoshiki has fast gone from 'tee hee quirky' to 'if the writers thought this character was charming, it speaks badly of them and their writing ability'.

I think we're getting a bit of an oversaturation on Yoshiki here, not sure if other routes would have him in a less prominent role. I do find him kind of interesting, in that he's probably smarter than he seems and I'm trying to find some hidden meanings in what he's saying.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Foxfire_ posted:

...This would explain something, actually. If Jordan is the only real human aboard--if everyone else is an AI of some kind--it explains why their arrival triggers the "someone has to die because we don't have enough food" protocol, and more importantly, explains why the games keep going after someone dies. If Jordan's the only one who eats, then the games will always keep going until Jordan dies or something catastrophically derails the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I love stupid crazy twists but man, this one's just kinda weird.

Leraika posted:

I did find Yoshiki to be cute at first but yeah, between this and the "mom" poo poo I'm firmly in the Katashi camp instead by now.

Although if the big twist had been Yoshiki going "HELL YEAH LET'S DO THIS BESTIE, I'M GONNA GO RUN AWAY TO TALK TO YOU IN SECRET MIND MESSAGES ONLY NOW", just to immediately report to Kimiko all, "ok Jordan's totally the vampire", that would've been awesome.