Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stravag posted:

Does citations needed still hold up Glen Greenwald as a visionary? They had a real bad habit of holding him up as an example in the dozen or so episodes i listened to?

I once pointed out they got a fact wrong and they blocked me, so probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I once pointed out they got a fact wrong and they blocked me, so probably.

Lol that's like the host of The Dollop Dave Anthony who got mad and blocked people after he got caught plagiarizing drat Interesting for material without asking permission or giving them credit, he was fast to block folk calling him out for it. Some of their episodes were hilarious but I stopped listening around then as it was a red flag that this guy probably wasn't a trustworthy source of info, especially as he was trying to claim the moral high ground in a lot of episodes calling out historical villains. https://www.damninteresting.com/a-special-note-to-the-writers-at-the-dollop/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The only good podcast is This Is Important.

That's a lie, but it's a good break for an hour from anything actually important.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The only good podcast is lions lead by donkey because its the only podcast that will give you clinical depression.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

70mm podcast film reviews is just about my favorite three people to listen to, ever. Every time I listen to one of their film reviews, it’s not only hilarious and enjoyable as gently caress, but it makes me want to watch the same movie and experience what they covered. Even Dirty Dancing!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The only good podcast is This Is Important.

That's a lie, but it's a good break for an hour from anything actually important.

For pure entertainment it's so, so good

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

The only good podcast is lions lead by donkey because its the only podcast that will give you clinical depression.

I had never stopped listening to a podcast mid episode based on just how much of a downer the topic was before, but then Nanking Ep 2 happened.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The Marcos are returning to power in the Phillipines after basically whitewashing the Ferdinand era, painting military rule as a good thing and claiming they didn't steal anything, mostly with online tools.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Carteret posted:

I had never stopped listening to a podcast mid episode based on just how much of a downer the topic was before, but then Nanking Ep 2 happened.

I have completed episode 1 and I am dreading the other two episodes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol that's like the host of The Dollop Dave Anthony who got mad and blocked people after he got caught plagiarizing drat Interesting for material without asking permission or giving them credit, he was fast to block folk calling him out for it. Some of their episodes were hilarious but I stopped listening around then as it was a red flag that this guy probably wasn't a trustworthy source of info, especially as he was trying to claim the moral high ground in a lot of episodes calling out historical villains. https://www.damninteresting.com/a-special-note-to-the-writers-at-the-dollop/

Ugh, that's a shame, I enjoyed the Dollop. Oh well.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

I have completed episode 1 and I am dreading the other two episodes.

The second is by far the worst, the third isn’t AS bad.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

lightpole posted:

The Marcos are returning to power in the Phillipines after basically whitewashing the Ferdinand era, painting military rule as a good thing and claiming they didn't steal anything, mostly with online tools.

LMAO fascism wins GG

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
It's always fun seeing posters bringing up something they just heard on a podcast or watched on last week tonight in a thread or chat and then you recognize where it was just broadcasted.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

LMAO fascism wins GG

Wait did Duterte win or something?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean the Marcos were really not great either LMAO. Like literal dictator.

Outlawed everything that threatened their grasp on power.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean the Marcos were really not great either LMAO. Like literal dictator.

Outlawed everything that threatened their grasp on power.

You're not wrong but holy poo poo is Duterte vile.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The Marcos son won the presidency, I think Dutertes daughter won the VP?

I mean, they stole $5-10 billion back in the 80s, had a military dictatorship, and killed a bunch of people. Not exactly a glowing resume.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Dude you're not gonna win me over on the Marcos when I know for a fact they assassinated anyone who was a viable 3rd.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Dude you're not gonna win me over on the Marcos when I know for a fact they assassinated anyone who was a viable 3rd.

I'm not trying to.

Also, apparently Marcos was Duterte's chosen replacement, so it's hell time in the Phillipines.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

drat I hope Pacquiao already caught a flight out

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

drat I hope Pacquiao already caught a flight out

He’s all in w bongbong

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah it’s similar to when I enjoyed s1 of True Detective & the writer was basking in praise for his ideas & dialogue including an Emmy nomination for writing. Then it was discovered how much of the iconic dialogue was lifted without permission from Thomas Ligotti & HBO geared up their PR dept to deny it, instead of giving him proper credit & at least a six figure check.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Holy lol, I wrote a couple of articles for drat Interesting like 6-8 years ago. Don't see anything I wrote mentioned there though, I guess I'm not good enough to plagiarize :smith:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah it’s similar to when I enjoyed s1 of True Detective & the writer was basking in praise for his ideas & dialogue including an Emmy nomination for writing. Then it was discovered how much of the iconic dialogue was lifted without permission from Thomas Ligotti & HBO geared up their PR dept to deny it, instead of giving him proper credit & at least a six figure check.

Seriously? I guess I really need to go read some Ligotti.

e: apparently today is not a good day to be a True Detective S1 fan.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 10, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

CommieGIR posted:

all commercialized podcasts are bad cause it's just the same hacks who'd have written for print media in days past, 'cept you have to hear their voice aloud and the ads are worse. far harder to ignore that than a byline

the only good podcast is nerds taking 1.5h to discuss individual 20m sailor moon episodes that include 5m of transformation cutscene sequences because gently caress it, it's sailor moon

i mean, seans russia blog is also good, but on balance far more depressing despite the odd episode on 15th century russian noble marriage customs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

F Plus also good since you'd never get an hour and a half of reading WikiHow in mainstream programming.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I've been enjoying Our Fake History lately. It's a podcast focused around historical myths and misconceptions, and the host is very good at spinning a yarn. A fun (and educational) listen!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's some madness from the state of Louisiana:

https://twitter.com/emmanuelfelton/status/1523833745937252354

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'd like to say that's not how the law works, but IANAL and my 25 year old constitutional law class seems hilariously outdated at this point.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wow who knew you could add "Nuh uh judges can't touch me" clauses. We've been doing laws wrong for a long time.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It's like a bunch of barracks lawyers all get together, got drunk and wrote some stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

not caring here posted:

It's like a bunch of barracks lawyers all get together, got drunk and wrote some stuff.

That's the state level GOP, yup.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Louisiana's governor is a Democrat (but also pro-life), so they're likely trying to make it as provocative as possible to force him to veto it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Louisiana's governor is a Democrat (but also pro-life), so they're likely trying to make it as provocative as possible to force him to veto it.

Unfortunately, he's one of those Democrats, he's anti-abortion.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it's ok, the DNC is a big tent and they're welcome :)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There's another Louisiana abortion law that will treat abortions as homicide, which I suspect is so that they can charge people who get out of state abortions with felonies.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just don't come back to lousiana! Problems solved!

Yeah I know the problems with it, don't @ me

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ElMaligno posted:

It's also good because Joe Kassabian mentioned on Twitter the other day that a Quincy Institute guy had joined their discord to convince them how QI was one of the good guys and they all bullied him until he left, which I find hilarious.

Notahippie fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 10, 2022

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A.o.D. posted:

There's another Louisiana abortion law that will treat abortions as homicide

That's the same law that Mr. Nice posted. It concerns the definition of 'person' as it applies to homicide.

A.o.D. posted:

which I suspect is so that they can charge people who get out of state abortions with felonies.

FWIW, states can't have jurisdiction, particularly criminal jurisdiction outside their boundaries. Then again, who knows what the answer is in our new "law as calvinball" world.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Well it’s not new, Citizens United was the first real big recent step over the line since black civil rights rulings became somewhat saner, and asset forfeiture laws also are totally moon logic.

That ruling was in my understanding is borderline sovereign citizen nonsense that actually worked. Since corporations are legal entities and legal entities are fictional persons and persons have free speech limiting campaign finance of a corporation is a violation of the corporations free speech.

Asset forfeiture laws are on the legal basis that if they charge your property with a crime property has no rights and somehow then confiscating it without due process is somehow not a violation of your rights.

It really wouldn’t be hard for Texas to argue to the Alito/Kavanaugh/Barrett court that it has a sufficient interest (whatever the specific term is for an interest when states can override rights) in forcing its residents to birth more white baby stock and therefore all residents of the state’s wombs are like flagged vessels of that state.

In a way sovcits understand the true purpose of the law as esoteric nonsense you bend into the weapon you want but fail to understand that they’re the not the people the law is for. That’s probably why white sovcit groups are so violent compared to black sovcits, they as mostly white rural landowners have the expectation that they are the real American aristocratic class drilled into them and are more shocked and vengeful when it doesn’t work.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I could see them offering bounties on people to return them to their state to be charged with a crime.

What’s old is new again.