Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The other thing is that if you're trying to trim nose down after your initial climb, as you level out you also start to speed up...which makes you nose up again, so you kind of have to do the tap-tap-tap-check thing several times until your speed flattens out entirely.

I don't know if this is what I'm supposed to do, but after a few rounds of that and I still can't get it right, for my final adjustment I tend to play with the actual throttle to get my nose level.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trim is something you do all the time, constantly; It’s not a set it and forget it type thing. You can get away with less trim in more stable GA airplanes, but spend some time in the DCS P-51 or P-47, and you’ll realize that constant trimming is a way of life in all three axis.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
in MSFS when i play with a controller i like to just enable the AI autotrim or w/e it's called, if i'm using a controller i don't care too much about "flying"

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mokotow posted:

Trimming should allow you to essentially make the plane not pitch/roll by itself and fly where you want to without having to correct with steering. It shouldn’t be hard (as in, in normal flight, it should be tap tap tap,there, trimmed), so maybe something’s off, unless you’re attempting crabbing in 60kt gale.

I was mostly having trouble in the training scenario which I guess is time sensitive. But it feels like the trim wheel goes 1... 2... 8-9-12-ZOOM and I guess I'd like a response curve for trim that's not so drat steeply exponential without messing with the curve for the view.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh! That sounds like something I didn't fully realize but definitely seems to happen now that I think about it: it considers quick manual taps of a joystick button to be the same as holding it down, and after 3 or so inputs it seems to start jacking the trim at intervals of +5 or +10 instead of +1.

The Honeycomb Bravo's trim wheel kind of sucks for this exact reason - it's a free-spinning wheel that just "clicks" the inputs as it passes a certain notch in either direction, so if you spin it slowly it barely adjusts trim at all but if you KEEP spinning it slowly it suddenly starts flying. I wish it were a real 1-to-1 wheel kind of thing. The real way to use it are quick, short flicks to get...like...just enough trim movement to matter but not enough to shove you toward the earth.

This is kind of hard to articulate but I hope that makes sense. I wish it were possible to adjust the fire rate on button holds in MSFS.

the milk machine posted:

in MSFS when i play with a controller i like to just enable the AI autotrim or w/e it's called, if i'm using a controller i don't care too much about "flying"

Yeah tbh if I'm using a controller what I care about is getting as high as possible and looking at sunset lighting through the clouds.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 9, 2022

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

well im trying to pay 70 bucks for the pretend air plane but pdmg's server is overloaded. I just want to know if it's playable or a mess, anybody tried it yet?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I haven't yet found a video game were trimming was real easy. I wish there was a command for "pitch for this input", and the computer just trims away all current forces

But even in a real plane you can't get a ' permanent' trim. The controls just get real light, and the nose stays roughly where you want it, but it will still wobble a bit

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I've always found the trimming in XP11 to be smoother than in MSFS2020. Using either the trim controls on the Alpha or the wheel on the Bravo.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
MSFS is made by the same company that gave us "pointer acceleration" so idk what you expect lol

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

ethanol posted:

well im trying to pay 70 bucks for the pretend air plane but pdmg's server is overloaded. I just want to know if it's playable or a mess, anybody tried it yet?

I've been watching some streams and it looks really nice. The streamer has had some problems manipulating some of the knobs and switches. It's going to be hard to avoid impulse buying this..

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Tayter Swift posted:

But it feels like the trim wheel goes 1... 2... 8-9-12-ZOOM and I guess I'd like a response curve for trim that's not so drat steeply exponential without messing with the curve for the view.

Squiggle posted:

Oh! That sounds like something I didn't fully realize but definitely seems to happen now that I think about it: it considers quick manual taps of a joystick button to be the same as holding it down, and after 3 or so inputs it seems to start jacking the trim at intervals of +5 or +10 instead of +1.

The Honeycomb Bravo's trim wheel kind of sucks for this exact reason - it's a free-spinning wheel that just "clicks" the inputs as it passes a certain notch in either direction, so if you spin it slowly it barely adjusts trim at all but if you KEEP spinning it slowly it suddenly starts flying. I wish it were a real 1-to-1 wheel kind of thing.

This sounds extremely terrible, why would anyone make this

Sapozhnik posted:

MSFS is made by the same company that gave us "pointer acceleration" so idk what you expect lol

:hmmyes:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's a funny trap. The landing exercises seem really drat precise to me -- maintain 65±2 kts w/ an elevation of 6000±100 feet for three minutes or so, meanwhile you start of juuuuust a bit misaligned to the runway so gotta straighten that out. Yes I know it'll become second nature eventually but after a dozen attempts it tempts me to think it's my input method that's the problem, and it can be solved for juuuuust $400 for the Turtle Beach yoke and throttle.

And when when I follow that as drat closely as I can I end up overshooting the runway. Glidescope four white the whole way. I wound up having to dive bomb the last 100 feet, natch.

Eventually got my A tho. gently caress you, Cap'n.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Xakura posted:

This sounds extremely terrible, why would anyone make this

:hmmyes:
I think asobo changed how trim controls work in one of the last couple sim updates, which might explain the weird exponential curve as opposed to the linear adjustment. I’m sure there’s a workaround somehow.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The non-linear curve is a thing that has existed in MSFS since launch. I've been annoyed by it this whole time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's support for trim as an axis right? You could use a wrapper to turn your wheel/dial input into a virtual axis. Not knowing where it is in an axis is a feature and will just make your zero trim take off steps relevant again.

I have input wrappers on the mind because I just got a couple VKB sticks and they've got an overly complex reconfigure tool for such nonsense.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

There's support for trim as an axis right? You could use a wrapper to turn your wheel/dial input into a virtual axis. Not knowing where it is in an axis is a feature and will just make your zero trim take off steps relevant again.

I have input wrappers on the mind because I just got a couple VKB sticks and they've got an overly complex reconfigure tool for such nonsense.

When I tried this it hosed my config so hard I had to delete my preferences. It wouldn't read the left stick as a cursor anymore!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7B7dDwkLC8

Reiterating my recommendation for this channel. Even supposedly simple topics have a whole bunch of weird intricacies that I never really thought about before. I guess this explains why the VNAV snowflake doesn't quite line up with the ILS/LPV diamond on glide slope intercept.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
One thing to keep in mind too with trim, especially if you’re playing with a controller and just goofing around is to make sure autopilot is off.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

soggybagel posted:

One thing to keep in mind too with trim, especially if you’re playing with a controller and just goofing around is to make sure autopilot is off.
If you slam the controls around enough, it'll do it for you. :shobon:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bentai posted:

If you slam the controls around enough, it'll do it for you. :shobon:

That or the autopilot will lock itself at the exteme end of the trim settings and you crash into the ground.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The non-linear curve is a thing that has existed in MSFS since launch. I've been annoyed by it this whole time.

It makes sense for the HDG and ALT bugs, especially if you use a mouse. Sadly, the trim implementation of the non-linear curve should be more nuanced and better adapted.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I bought the PMDG 737-700 yesterday morning and it is absolutely stellar. The sounds especially are excellent - you can really "feel" the low pitched jet engine sounds. Lots and lots of configuration and airplane options in the menus. It included 25 liveries for the -700 (Including 4 southwest ones) , 3 for the freight variant, and 8 for the BBJ. There is a separate program installed to manage the liveries - PMDG Operations Center. This doesn't need to be running when you're flying.

Interestingly, learning how to fly the Maddog MD-82 was HIGHLY relevant to starting up the 737, getting it set up, flying, navigating, and landing.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

https://youtube.com/shorts/7t4kDcVFnXU?feature=share

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 11, 2022

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Cojawfee posted:

That or the autopilot will lock itself at the exteme end of the trim settings and you crash into the ground.

Ah, the 737-MAX setting.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Anyone know what the overlapping upside down V symbols on VFR sectional charts represents?

It looks close to the group obstruction symbol, but doesn't have dots in the middle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Printing error, maybe?

I can't find it in this document:

https://ticc.tamu.edu/Documents/OtherInfo/VFR_Symbols.pdf

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Are there any other group obstruction Ms like that, with two dots on the map? Anywhere? It might be that, and just...an error?

Sagebrush posted:

Printing error, maybe?

I can't find it in this document:

https://ticc.tamu.edu/Documents/OtherInfo/VFR_Symbols.pdf

:yeah:

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
It's on page 16 obstruction under 1000ft

Edit: looks like there are 3 dots on that map one just happened to be over the obstruction.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

It does look different on that map, but the dots are at the same point as the middle tips of the Vs, so yeah, I'm going with group obstruction under 1000ft misprints.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Squiggle posted:

It does look different on that map, but the dots are at the same point as the middle tips of the Vs, so yeah, I'm going with group obstruction under 1000ft misprints.

Ok thanks for the input!
It's from Fltplan.com - I've noticed some visual errors on there at least in Canada, so that makes sense.

Edit: I actually wonder if it's just completely messed up for Canada, here's another one near the border, where in the US it's shown properly.

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 11, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, hah. Nav Canada VNC charts are different from American sectional charts. You can see where they switch from US to Canadian charts in your screenshot above. I don't know what the Canadian symbology is. Ask one of the Canadian pilots like PT6A?

I thought the colors looked wrong.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm assuming a mountain given that each one has a 4 digit number right next to it (height in meters?)

Frumpy DMV Lady
Jun 6, 2005
The big number is its height in feet MSL. The number beneath is its height AGL.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, hah. Nav Canada VNC charts are different from American sectional charts. You can see where they switch from US to Canadian charts in your screenshot above. I don't know what the Canadian symbology is. Ask one of the Canadian pilots like PT6A?

I thought the colors looked wrong.

Ah, didn't realize they were actually different organizations making different charts... I eventually found this after searching for the canadian chart legend:

Why the hell they didn't just keep it consistent with below the border is beyond me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Canada is way more similar to the USA than it's willing to admit, so they have to make all these intentional little meaningless differences to emphasize that Canadians aren't Americans.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Got here late, but yeah: can confirm, it's a group obstruction. I was trying to figure out what possible misprint people were referring to because it obviously looks completely normal for what I'm used to, I had no idea the US prints that symbol differently.

VFR charts are mostly similar all over the world from everything I've seen but there's a bunch of funny little exceptions.

EDIT: In case anyone's curious, because I saw someone talk about it: the numbers next to the obstacle are in feet. The first one is altitude above sea level (and we call it ASL not MSL, but it's the same thing), the second one in brackets is height above ground. Both are in feet; we don't use the metric system for aviation. Mostly things are done in feet and knots/nautical miles* but visibility is reported in statute miles and sometimes older planes will have airspeed measures in MPH. Altimeter settings are also given in inches of mercury, though they'll occasionally also be reported in hPa.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 12, 2022

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

I've mostly noticed it on skyvector, but is there a reason that the VFR charts outside America are so lacking in detail in comparison?

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Cat Wings posted:

I've mostly noticed it on skyvector, but is there a reason that the VFR charts outside America are so lacking in detail in comparison?

After ww2 there were a lot of American pilots that bought cheap private planes, so a lot of small infrastructure was built around them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cat Wings posted:

SkyVector only shows US publications, I believe, because only the FAA makes all its charts available for free as PDFs. Other countries (looking at you in particular, Canada!) charge money for them, even in digital form. The countries' own charts will have a lot more detail.

But also the USA has by far the largest number of private pilots, the most aviation in general, and generally the most complicated airspace in the world. The chart for, like, Egypt or something is not going to be anywhere near as complex as the ones for California alone.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The US is the exception in that most airspace is uncontrolled. In Europe and Asian countries airspace is always controlled, and usually civilian planes are limited to specific corridors, the rest is all military reserved airspace.