Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
whats marcos's deal, is he ok or a shitter. the only thing i have to go on is the stonks were sad when he won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

whats marcos's deal, is he ok or a shitter. the only thing i have to go on is the stonks were sad when he won.

he's the son of the Philippines former dictator, so....

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
our filipino posting pal itt compared him to don jr. so yeah

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

our filipino posting pal itt compared him to don jr. so yeah

ah, rip

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this genre of video always entertains me

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

AKEL in cyprus (southern part) is one of the two major parties. also the PCP in portugal pulls hundreds of thousands of votes and has seats and mayors and so forth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY09xDr_0LI

the PCP seems pretty China friendly; I’m pretty sure I’ve heard about them doing activities with the CPC. actually most of the electorally viable ones aside from the aforementioned JCP and KKE seem to be on good terms

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol all the people on my feed begging for US intervention (they also said the same thing in 2016 when Duterte got elected) is especially disgusting this morning

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol all the people on my feed begging for US intervention (they also said the same thing in 2016 when Duterte got elected) is especially disgusting this morning

It is a bit ironic all things considered.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am trying to count all the children of former dictators who win on fair elections. Park Guen Hye's dad was a dictator. Also Chiang Kai-shek's great grandson is in KMT now. If he wins the next mayor race he has a chance to run for president 10 years down the road.

I am skipping the Japanese guys since I don't count their dads dictators.

That Pakistani woman president who got assassinated, her dad was a dictator army man. Indira Gandhi was almost a dictator. I don't think her failgrandson will win though.

There must be a couple more in Philippines.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 00:26 on May 10, 2022

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

How many of them are sporting Ukraine flag emojis?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

what's the filipino equivalent to threatening to move to canada?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am trying to count all the children of former dictators who win on fair elections. Park Guen Hye's dad was a dictator. Also Chiang Kai-shek's grandson is in KMT now. If he wins the next mayor race he has a chance to run for president 10 years down the road.

I am skipping the Japanese guys since I don't count their dads dictators.

That Pakistani woman president who got assassinated, her dad was a dictator army man. Indira Gandhi was almost a dictator. I don't think her failgrandson will win though.

There must be a couple more in Philippines.

Let's not forget Buhari in Nigeria, who was military dictator from '83-'85 after seizing power in a coup. Then got elected in '15 and has been back in charge since. Didn't even have to wait for a second generation to return.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am trying to count all the children of former dictators who win on fair elections. Park Guen Hye's dad was a dictator. Also Chiang Kai-shek's great grandson is in KMT now. If he wins the next mayor race he has a chance to run for president 10 years down the road.

Why 10 years? Could he not run sooner?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yeah see this is what i was talking about before. so desperate to get a shot in at "campist" communists you post this idiotic tweet

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Goon Boots posted:

Why 10 years? Could he not run sooner?

He is too young, and not that popular. I was just reading his bio on wiki. His dad was actually illegitimate child of Jiang's son and a mistress. So after the mistress gave birth to pair of twins. Jiang didn't play around and sent his spy to kill his son's mistress right away (because his son has already married a Soviet woman). So the twin grew up with their mother's last name.

It was very late in their lives that one of the twins decided to Change his name back to Jiang, and ended up climbing pretty high inside the KMT ladder. But you can imagine it was thru his own hard work not thru help from the Jiang family.

Anyway now his son also has chose his career in politic. But as far as I can tell, he is not that special. I think at this stage he is trying to run for Taibei mayor. He is not the favorite. If he is lucky enough to win the election, then he has a good shot at president's race 8 or 12 years later. At the present time, DPP surely will win the next president after Tsai.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 00:49 on May 10, 2022

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

yeah see this is what i was talking about before. so desperate to get a shot in at "campist" communists you post this idiotic tweet

campists can unironically get hosed tho

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

He is too young, and not that popular. I was just reading his bio on wiki. His dad was actually illegitimate child of Jiang's son and a mistress. So after the mistress gave birth to pair of twins. Jiang didn't play around and sent his spy to kill his son's mistress right away (because his son has already married a Soviet woman). So the twin grew up with their mother's last name.

:wtc:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Did any of Rhee's children/grandchildren manage to get into Korean politics?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

what's the filipino equivalent to threatening to move to canada?

... threatening to move to Canada

seriously

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I wish he were lying but its true.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

HiroProtagonist posted:

campists can unironically get hosed tho

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Who was the Filipino president who got beat up by the CIA in his own office for reading a speech wrong? Maybe we can have Xi do that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Who was the Filipino president who got beat up by the CIA in his own office for reading a speech wrong? Maybe we can have Xi do that.

that was literal CIA asset Ramon Magsaysay

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

Seethe more, obsessive. The NAM is a fun concept and if you don't care for it then don't feed the trolls, you simple bore

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

... threatening to move to Canada

seriously

Polgas posted:

I wish he were lying but its true.

lmfao

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

gradenko_2000 posted:

that was literal CIA asset Ramon Magsaysay

went and read his Wikipedia page and it might be the most positive sounding article about anything I've ever read on there
gotta be a monster if Wikipedia perverts love him that much right?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Maximo Roboto posted:

Seethe more, obsessive. The NAM is a fun concept and if you don't care for it then don't feed the trolls, you simple bore

sorry, i'm not just gonna let you pull this tedious crap anymore. boo hoo

the two headlines aren't at odds with each other at all, believing they are betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of basic concepts and i'm impressed with your ability to squeeze "the nam is bad" out of what was a very simple post

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

also appreciate the tacit admission of being a troll

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

why didn’t free guy attempt this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zedhe Khoja posted:

went and read his Wikipedia page and it might be the most positive sounding article about anything I've ever read on there
gotta be a monster if Wikipedia perverts love him that much right?

from "Killing Hope":

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

also appreciate the tacit admission of being a troll

Appreciate the explicit confession of being completely humorless

R. Guyovich posted:

sorry, i'm not just gonna let you pull this tedious crap anymore. boo hoo

A finger-wagging scold for everything I share? A high price. Please, keep them coming, I'll find some good tweets

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/dylanleviking/status/1517182794526445568
https://twitter.com/dylanleviking/status/1517182861832441868

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Hope you're not quoting a gang tag a Nazi lover paid to give me to prove a point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a liberal mythology is now congealing around the narrative that the 2022 race was stolen, based on the specious argument that because Robredo's votes stayed at ~47% of Marcos's votes as the election returns started rolling in throughout the evening of the 9th and into this morning, that this was statistically impossible and therefore the vote-count was simply pre-programmed

if you want to get into the nitty-gritty of why this doesn't hold water:

quote:

https://twitter.com/PJACaytonPhD/status/1523815603374817280

There's a comment from PhD statistician Peter Cayton saying that this pattern being observed by some folks, where Robredo's votes are always 47% of Marcos's votes, is not strong evidence of cheating, because if you look at just the amounts of votes added to Marcos/Robredo, the ratio varies from 66 to 68 Marcos / 31 to 33 Robredo, but then those small variations get diluted if you're only looking at the vote totals.

You'd have to go into precinct-level numbers to see if, for example, the proportions between Marcos and Robredo stay at the same rate everywhere in the country, and that would be suspicious, but not this.

Using this as a basis for data:

We can come up with the following table:

We can see that, yes, the ratio between Robredo's votes and Marcos's votes is at a steady 47%, with some variations in the decimals, but:

* between 4:47 and 5:47 AM, Marcos gained 148,708 votes, while Robredo gained 59,729 votes. That means Robredo only gained 40.17% as many votes in that one hour span, as Marcos did. This suggests that those precincts that reported were favoring Marcos

* between 6:32 and 7:47 AM, Marcos gained 116,544 votes, while Robredo gained 63,068 votes. That means Robredo gained 54.12% as many votes as Marcos did. This suggests that those precincts that reported were favoring Robredo.

You can't see the difference if you're only looking at the vote totals because the vote totals are already so large. Or rather, you can see the difference, because the ratio between Robredo and Marcos shifted by 0.02%, but then we think that that's just statistical noise because we're only concerned with whole percentage points, but of course at that point it would take something like 200,000 votes to move the needle from 47% to 48%.

But just because you think the variation is so small that it doesn't count, doesn't mean the variations don't exist, and especially when digging into the smaller-scale returns does yield the differences people claiming aren't there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1523897990024335361

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

HiroProtagonist posted:

Hope you're not quoting a gang tag a Nazi lover paid to give me to prove a point

hard to tell since you seem convinced of the fake idea of campism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

indigi posted:

idk they did a pretty good job rehabilitating Puyi

Did he ever even get to be in charge in any meaningful fashion?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/olalakl2/status/1523376792006164480

:toot:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

a liberal mythology is now congealing around the narrative that the 2022 race was stolen, based on the specious argument that because Robredo's votes stayed at ~47% of Marcos's votes as the election returns started rolling in throughout the evening of the 9th and into this morning, that this was statistically impossible and therefore the vote-count was simply pre-programmed

if you want to get into the nitty-gritty of why this doesn't hold water:

Liberals have zero self awareness, only naked list for power. They make fun of and denigrate anyone else suggesting an election may be stolen as lunatics or threatening "democracy" but have zero problems screeching about election fraud when they are the ones holding the L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't know anything about the non aligned movement so the current fight is incomprehensible to me