Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LifeLynx posted:

Hello Commander goons. Can anyone compile or help me find a list of the most popular/common tokens made in Commander? I'm thinking about doing some big charity project and my LGS is a Commander hot spot, but I haven't played Commander with anyone in years. Thanks!

Utility tokens would be way more useful/cooler than any creature tokens. In addition to the aforementioned treasure/food/clue/monarch, it'd be nice to see Poison Counter, Energy Counter, City's Blessing, Companion and Adventure tokens along with maybe Command Zone and Phasing cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Knot My President! posted:

My Arcades singles are arriving this week— thanks for the help guys :)

I finally went infinite with my Mogis deck despite three people teaming against me from turn 3 too, felt good :madmax:

Post your Arcades deck, curious the route you went.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Rythe posted:

You gotta put a quarter on the table to signal that you're next in line to play.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm gonna become an Angel deck guy and build a casual Giada deck. Assuming I'm running the good rocks, how many lands do you guys typically run in your mono coloured decks? I'm thinking 27 with all plains except for the good lands like Cavern, War Room, Nykthos, etc.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Personally, I think 27 isn't enough to stay on curve consistently past turn 3-4. I usually run at least 34 lands, even in a monocolored deck. You might be able to get away with 31 or 32 if your deck is real low to the ground, but that ain't angels.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

Utility tokens would be way more useful/cooler than any creature tokens. In addition to the aforementioned treasure/food/clue/monarch, it'd be nice to see Poison Counter, Energy Counter, City's Blessing, Companion and Adventure tokens along with maybe Command Zone and Phasing cards

Yeah I realized that once I saw the answers. Treasure wasn't a thing when I was actively playing, but there's all the ones you mentioned also.

I used to run Cat Draft events where I'd raise money for the cat adoption place I volunteer at, and I'd make tokens. Jeff Menges lived nearby at the time and he'd do some token once in a while also. I was thinking Commander this time around instead of a draft. I already have a Kitty's (City's) Blessing token I made for myself, so that's a start.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
27 plains with Sejiri Shelter, Kabira Takedown, and Emeria’s Call would be fine, but 27 flat is too low, even with a 2 drop commander your gonna be mulling to 5 all the time to get some something playable.

And anything under 34 your gonna want Land Tax and maybe even Three Estates or Tithe

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah I realized that once I saw the answers. Treasure wasn't a thing when I was actively playing, but there's all the ones you mentioned also.

I used to run Cat Draft events where I'd raise money for the cat adoption place I volunteer at, and I'd make tokens. Jeff Menges lived nearby at the time and he'd do some token once in a while also. I was thinking Commander this time around instead of a draft. I already have a Kitty's (City's) Blessing token I made for myself, so that's a start.

Oh, you're the cat token person! Definitely make a poison token that's just a litterbox with stink lines coming from it please :v:

Edit: Adventure token that's a housecat sniffing around under a parked car while its owner tries to lure it out with treats

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 10, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

I'm gonna become an Angel deck guy and build a casual Giada deck. Assuming I'm running the good rocks, how many lands do you guys typically run in your mono coloured decks? I'm thinking 27 with all plains except for the good lands like Cavern, War Room, Nykthos, etc.

For what it's worth I'm running 27 in my Sythis deck, with dorks and fast mana, and I frequently feel like I don't hit land drops enough. It's different because I'm usually stretching my lands with enchantments (utopia sprawl etc) and making a beeline for Cradle and Sanctum though.

For monowhite, Angels no less, your curve is probably going to be pretty big even with Giada... probably run more.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In my 100% suicide T2 Storm combo deck (K’rrik) I run 28 lands and 2 MDFC.

Basically, with MDFC lands, I don’t think it’s literally ever correct to go below 30 virtual lands anymore, even with 15-20 pieces of ramp/acceleration.

There’s greed, and then there’s Greed, and then there’s “my deck only hits 4 mana on 1 out of every 3 games”, which is where I think 27 lands puts you

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
With 27 lands, you have a 38% chance of getting 1 or fewer lands in your opener. Obviously MDFCs and mulligans mess with that. Assuming no mulligans, if you have a 'hand' of 9, your odds of that go down to 24%.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1524102584025468932

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Rythe posted:

https://archidekt.com/decks/2686897#Arcades_1.0

This is my first attempt, tried to trim it down to have every wall have a purpose, ways to get defenders to attack if Arcades isn't in play, balanced mana sources, etc.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I really want to build an Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdicar deck just because I can't stop thinking about the name and I love rakdos

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1524085494694518785

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My excitement for the 40k set knows no bounds

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Count Thrashula posted:

My excitement for the 40k set knows no bounds

In the grim darkness of the future there is only endless preview season.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
i'm looking forward to the lotr set solely because i want those sagas (i really hope they're using sagas for that set). i haven't actually read the supplemental materials but i've gotten a vague idea of what happens and it sounds really cool

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

In the grim darkness of the future there is only endless preview season the endless sluice trough of branded tripe.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

https://archidekt.com/decks/2686897#Arcades_1.0

This is my first attempt, tried to trim it down to have every wall have a purpose, ways to get defenders to attack if Arcades isn't in play, balanced mana sources, etc.

My suggestion would be to add more spot removal as you are extremely vulnerable to somebody landing something nasty.

Try to come down to 32-33 lands and add some mana ramp via signets, talisman or land tutors.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1524087589275197442?s=20&t=3kgegc4rNjNBx2grZzx_7Q

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This hobby is loving exhausting

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah and we know the pace isn't going to slow down any time soon, and in a few short years well have a Netflix show AND probably another video game to keep us paying them attention when were not playing, brewing, or slaving away to afford more squares

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Uh excuse me but they're rectangles.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They're rounded rectangles

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My interest in Magic kinda started to fall off over the past few months since I have been in school, combined with heavy disinterest in the last few sets of 2021, and Kamigawa, which I was initially pretty hyped for, ended up being basically everything I absolutely didn't want out of a Japanese set aesthetic. When Capenna got spoiled I had originally not had much interest in it and it drew me back in again, not only because the aesthetic was actually more interesting than I was expecting but because its mechanics and color combinations all were basically a gift to me personally.

But then I actually got my Capenna cards and they're so insanely cheap as a product. The foils are dull and they all immediately curled into near circles, and all of the cards are printed on some of the worst cardstock I've ever seen. I'm very texture sensitive and I legitimately halted the second I picked up a Capenna card because I could actually feel the scratchy toothiness of the card texture in my fingertips. They sound bad, even, if you rub them against each other. Like they're actually unpleasant to hold. It won't matter so much when they're sleeved, I guess, but then I noticed that a LOT of them are not even just lovely paper, they've even been cut off center. Some of the card backs are a full millimeter off center from older cards I compared them to.

And then this let's preview 3 sets at once thing. It really is never ending and it's only getting faster. I am on the brink of trying to convince my friends to switch to a different game or something so I can stop paying attention to this. It feels like a chore lately.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I have something silly to share: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/3FaFK7Q9YE-O05jp4vp3Ig
This is my Leveler combo deck. The goal is to get Leveler, Endless Whispers, and Spawning Pit into play, with Aminatou / other ways to blink. Sac Leveler, give to opponent, blink it back to me, sack, donate, blink, sack, donate, all players have zero cards in their library and die in turn order. Backup is Leveler + Fractured Identity, or Phage + Fractured Identity.

It's certainly not a competitive deck, but it's done pretty well so far, and despite it being combo, no one has ever gotten salty about being Leveler'd.

I built it cause WAAAY back in the day, someone killed me with that combo while playing Standard, and then signed each card and gave them to me, and on that day I vowed to Leveler other people to regain my honor

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah and we know the pace isn't going to slow down any time soon, and in a few short years well have a Netflix show AND probably another video game to keep us paying them attention when were not playing, brewing, or slaving away to afford more squares

I laugh every time I remember they quietly shelved that awful Diablo-like last year.

They need to step up their partnerships. Where is the M:tG x Bad Dragon collab with Nicol Bolas and Ugin dildos? The Nicol Bolas one is an ovipositor that spits out the Gem of Becoming into your preferred orifice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Batterypowered7 posted:

I laugh every time I remember they quietly shelved that awful Diablo-like last year.

They need to step up their partnerships. Where is the M:tG x Bad Dragon collab with Nicol Bolas and Ugin dildos? The Nicol Bolas one is an ovipositor that spits out the Gem of Becoming into your preferred orifice.

It would be The Gem of Becumming, clearly.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Heath posted:

My interest in Magic kinda started to fall off over the past few months since I have been in school, combined with heavy disinterest in the last few sets of 2021, and Kamigawa, which I was initially pretty hyped for, ended up being basically everything I absolutely didn't want out of a Japanese set aesthetic. When Capenna got spoiled I had originally not had much interest in it and it drew me back in again, not only because the aesthetic was actually more interesting than I was expecting but because its mechanics and color combinations all were basically a gift to me personally.

But then I actually got my Capenna cards and they're so insanely cheap as a product. The foils are dull and they all immediately curled into near circles, and all of the cards are printed on some of the worst cardstock I've ever seen. I'm very texture sensitive and I legitimately halted the second I picked up a Capenna card because I could actually feel the scratchy toothiness of the card texture in my fingertips. They sound bad, even, if you rub them against each other. Like they're actually unpleasant to hold. It won't matter so much when they're sleeved, I guess, but then I noticed that a LOT of them are not even just lovely paper, they've even been cut off center. Some of the card backs are a full millimeter off center from older cards I compared them to.

And then this let's preview 3 sets at once thing. It really is never ending and it's only getting faster. I am on the brink of trying to convince my friends to switch to a different game or something so I can stop paying attention to this. It feels like a chore lately.

I know this doesn’t solve your overall problem (and might in some ways exacerbate it) but the card stock varies wildly based on where the cards were printed. There are some cards (I think ones printed in Japan, followed by cards printed in Europe?) that are an absolute joy to hold: slick, shiny, smooth. Just lovely.

The ones that get printed in the Americas tend to be the ones that feel like lovely sandpaper.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

TotalHell posted:

I know this doesn’t solve your overall problem (and might in some ways exacerbate it) but the card stock varies wildly based on where the cards were printed. There are some cards (I think ones printed in Japan, followed by cards printed in Europe?) that are an absolute joy to hold: slick, shiny, smooth. Just lovely.

The ones that get printed in the Americas tend to be the ones that feel like lovely sandpaper.

Yeah, I know. It really just adds another layer of lottery to it, where not only might I get a good card, I might get a good card that isn't printed on toilet paper! Variants upon variants upon variants!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Rythe posted:

My suggestion would be to add more spot removal as you are extremely vulnerable to somebody landing something nasty.

Try to come down to 32-33 lands and add some mana ramp via signets, talisman or land tutors.

Hmm interesting, do you have a general calculation for choosing mana distribution? The only stuff I’ve found online is like 36-38 + mana rocks

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Heath posted:

This hobby is loving exhausting

Do what I did: sell your shitcards and just read spoilers for the non-feces-encrusted sets.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's very strongly influenced by your average mana cost (low = fewer required), how long you want the game to go (longer, more controlling decks will often want more lands to ensure hitting their drops vs faster decks that want the game to end before it matters), the cost of your commander (a 2cmc commander vs 6cmc) and what colors you are in (green for dorks/land ramp, no green means more focus on rocks).

Here are some examples of my not-cedh lists (which still go hard on mana packages because I like to cast my spells).

Negan (treasure focused, so that also helps): 12 rocks, 34(35 with DFC) lands
Hapatra: 4 dorks, 8 rocks, 34(36) lands
Korvold (landfall, so that influences): 8 dorks, 6 rocks, 35(38) lands
Neheb the Eternal: 17 rocks, 29(30) lands

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hmm interesting, do you have a general calculation for choosing mana distribution? The only stuff I’ve found online is like 36-38 + mana rocks

To give you an idea of what the bleeding edge are doing, I sampled some top end CEDH decks:

If your deck is slower and costs more, then you'll need more mana (and have to cut cards that Do Things).

But, it's not out-of-line to say that, even a mid-tier deck should be running 32-35 lands, 8-12 rocks, and 5-10 other mana sources.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A precon from the last set:
39 - 5 - 3 - 5 - 2.59/4.27

Why might they not be very playable???

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Also the quality of rocks/dorks/lands matter. There's a difference between a deck running stuff in the "Command Sphere, Llanowar Tribe, Akoum Refuge" range vs "Sol Ring, Llanowar Elf, Luxury Suite" range. Lower costs and not entering tapped is a big difference.

Also lol precons are so bad lately. And they raised the prices. :rolleyes:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Unrelated to any of this, but lol have they STILL not made Shrine tokens widely available yet? I'm planning on building casual Go-Shintai and I'ma need a fistful of those, but not at 8 bucks a pop.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Go to your local Chinatown and buy a bunch of cheap resin knickknacks to use as shrine tokens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just draw your own