Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/superlouis_64/status/1523712688702255104?s=21&t=Ga22AuD2dDj4qDaj4E3Wbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I think they more meant that Eric takes so long to enrage that they're surprised that you failed the enrage without it just being a wipe earlier in the fight

Bruceski posted:

Congratulations on turning their "well done surviving all that" into "git good" I guess?

Funnily enough that is exactly what I meant. Most groups either wipe way before enrage or clear way before it. Congratz on surviving to the end I guess?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vargs posted:

I liked the SAM questline until it came down to revolutionaries vs corrupt cops, and you are forced to happily side with Team Cop. In an expansion where every interaction with said cops is negative and you regularly lead bloody revolutions.

Politically the game is pretty hosed up. Like the Rogues story is about the value of having a group of black ops extrajudicial murderers who are answerable only to their own code of honour running around to stop terrorists. Only Jacke Bauer can save Limsa Lominsa, real cops are too civilised to get the job done.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hommando posted:

You can rent my house for 1.2m gil a month. No Namazu vendors allowed.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Vargs posted:

I liked the SAM questline until it came down to revolutionaries vs corrupt cops, and you are forced to happily side with Team Cop. In an expansion where every interaction with said cops is negative and you regularly lead bloody revolutions.
The revolutionaries in this case want to go back to the good ol' days of 9/11.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bruceski posted:

I wish there were as easy a way to record a short animation as there is to snip a part of the screen, this looks even better with the glow.

https://www.screentogif.com/

ScreenToGif is great.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I can’t stop you from cheating, and frankly the dev mostly can’t either. Even if they took down their code someone could always pick it back up, it’s out in the wild at this point
But that’s where the stance is

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vargs posted:

The villain isn't proposing a positive program of social upheaval and the abolition of the class system, but bloody-minded revenge against the nobility and a laissez-faire "we'll figure it out later" attitude to what comes after, something that has, historically, not turned out especially well.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

RME posted:

I can’t stop you from cheating, and frankly the dev mostly can’t either. Even if they took down their code someone could always pick it back up, it’s out in the wild at this point
But that’s where the stance is

RME
Feb 20, 2012

which part is bait

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

careful they might reply to you with another epic own pic

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Vermain posted:

The villain isn't proposing a positive program of social upheaval and the abolition of the class system, but bloody-minded revenge against the nobility and a laissez-faire "we'll figure it out later" attitude to what comes after, something that has, historically, not turned out especially well.

Isn’t the whole climax of the SAM storyline your buddy saying that yes, the baddie is completely right about how messed up Kugane’s traditions are, but then she points out that he ultimately just wants violence for the sake of violence?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I mean if you want an actual effort post out of me: I think it's completely absurd to gatekeep an accessibility mod. That's like the direct counterpoint to making accessibility features. So pointing at that take and going "this is a good point" is just really stupid to me.

Also just because Yoshi-P says that fat fingering buttons is intended difficulty doesn't make it any less stupid of a point and calling it cheating to press 1 button instead of 2 is big reach. You still have to have knowledge of your job and the fight at hand to do things correctly. If you were calling Cactbot cheating I'd absolutely agree. But getting rid of some button bloat when controller hotbar space can get very cramped? Nah man you're just being ridiculous.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Controller is absolutely not cramped lol it has more easy to reach buttons than keyboard

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i got shooters waiting at the exit of every dungeon and at the tome vendor so if you zone out of stigmascape and you got hit by a mechanic youre dead meat

^(incredibly real threat and not a joke, im a toxic parser bro!!!!!)

This, but specifically if you eat the mines on the last boss in Smileton for uptime and expect me to Esuna you :argh:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 10, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The in game documentation of how to set up a controller to let you access all those buttons is truly atrocious though

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I mean if you want an actual effort post out of me: I think it's completely absurd to gatekeep an accessibility mod. That's like the direct counterpoint to making accessibility features. So pointing at that take and going "this is a good point" is just really stupid to me.

Also just because Yoshi-P says that fat fingering buttons is intended difficulty doesn't make it any less stupid of a point and calling it cheating to press 1 button instead of 2 is big reach. You still have to have knowledge of your job and the fight at hand to do things correctly. If you were calling Cactbot cheating I'd absolutely agree. But getting rid of some button bloat when controller hotbar space can get very cramped? Nah man you're just being ridiculous.

It literally is cheating. Just own up to it man. Feel free to use it but that's what it is!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The only mod you need is the one that turns the buffalo calf into a car

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
is using a plugin to fix netcode intended for sub-30ms pings but deployed in such a way that people will have 100 pings within the same regional location as the datacenter also cheating?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Considering what that addon can do, yes it is also literally cheating unless you think changing an option to make you able to triple weave is somehow fine.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Altering the client's gameplay control and/or networking packets is cheating, yeah.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

Huh, I have my lovely DPS from my first Aglaia in FFLogs.

I'm mildly interested from a "I wonder what this can tell me?" stance because I like self-improvement and mastering gameplay and poo poo.

But if someone comes at me for a gray parse I'm going to tell them to step on LEGOs and then ignore them. Not sure why this requires debate. If someone at the party is a shitheel, you kick them out. If no one wants to kick them out or goes "actually being a shitheel is good" you go to a different party.

You can enter that log into https://xivanalysis.com/ to get tips on what to improve, it's neat! This whole topic has actually made me look myself up in the few public logs I have and now I'm more interested in it than I was before. FF Logs lets you upload private/unlisted too so you don't have to worry about platforming other peoples' shame when all you want is to self improve. Which makes it funny that I have any logs up at all - what kind of dork is trying to get on the fflogs rankings on a duty finder match of Aglaia?

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 10, 2022

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.
I'm sitting here whistling because (Storytime!) back in Sigmascape I used a zoomhack because as a melee DPS some of those boss models were absolutely loving huge and I'd clip them and be unable to tab target (Looking at you doomtrain!).

Some jackass found an unlisted video I posted to a forum showing a tank absolutely destroying the party during Kefka and some mofo downloaded it to rehost on streamable. They then proceeded to post an edited screencap of this on r/ffxiv where the top comment was "I wish I could zoom out further". I also got @'d several times by them on twitter and on the balance discord.

Also lowkey kinda surprised they waited until now to slap down when a few months ago they had bigtime WoW people streaming with an ACT (And later QuickLauncher) UI replacement.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fiye posted:

Also lowkey kinda surprised they waited until now to slap down when a few months ago they had bigtime WoW people streaming with an ACT (And later QuickLauncher) UI replacement.

It's likely because the Ultimate race brought the issue into sharper focus beyond just the "I made parts of my UI look nicer/be more functional" angle, and so this is a gentle-but-firm reminder of their current stance on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking into their options for 7.0. It's probably not possible to lock away a lot of the game's data without intrusive anticheat, especially with the current client, and they likely don't want to lock out otherwise benign tools like ACT's parser or Anamnesis. They could work to sponsor "official" versions of those tools to ensure players have that functionality, but that starts getting into tricky terrain over ownership and still doesn't address the complete lack of any similar tools for console players.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Considering what that addon can do, yes it is also literally cheating unless you think changing an option to make you able to triple weave is somehow fine.

what if you don't use that function? what if you use the program for it's intended purposes, which is to prevent clipping on double-weaving with a high ping - is that cheating?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Frida Call Me posted:

what if you don't use that function? what if you use the program for it's intended purposes, which is to prevent clipping on double-weaving with a high ping - is that cheating?

Yes, because what that program does is quite literally cheating.

Selane
May 19, 2006

To be fair the reason why no one really cares about their dumb threats and continues to use mods is because their policy is so stupid in the first place. Like "cheaty addons are cheating" is reasonable, but when your policy is "all mods are cheating" then cheating doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. I will continue to be a cheaty-rear end cheater who cheats by using a mod that tells me the name of the song that is currently playing. And I'm not even joking, as that falls under their policy of "modifying the UI to display additional information is cheating!!!" Yes, but who cares?

Like, there are people that use actual hacks and cheats in WoW, but I don't know a single one because most people don't. Square Enix's policy is so dumb that even average players just ignore it and a sizable percentage of players 'cheat' because their definition of it barely even makes sense.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Frida Call Me posted:

Yes, because that functionality is not accessible to every person playing the game (re: console players), unless the proposal is that you should simply purchase a PC capable of playing the game and accompanying PC license if you have a high ping. Gaining a software-level advantage in a game that isn't accessible to every player equally is the textbook definition of cheating.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

got it, wheelchair ramps are cheating!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Frida Call Me posted:

lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Frida Call Me posted:

??????????????????

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

What are you competing in here exactly outside of Actual PvP that constitutes an "unfair advantage"? Parse numbers that don't matter? I sincerely doubt that the average joe using xivcombo or whatever this netcode plugin thing is are racing for Ultimate world first.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If I just used a speedhack in pve, would that not be cheating? I'm not running for world first so it shouldn't matter. Or if I used a geometry hack to get OOB to dodge mechanics? It's just client side so I'm not really doing anything that would affect the game outside of my group.

It's all degrees of the same stuff.

And conflating some of this stuff with actual accessibility issue is extremely poor taste.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 10, 2022

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the point is not to go "the rules of the game are arbitrary, so when i break them its fine because those rules arent real". the rules are the rules. if you have what you feel is a justifiable reason to break them, own it. you cant have it both ways.

also

Frida Call Me posted:

this is loving gross and as a person with a physical disability that this game is good about letting me play through, gently caress you

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

To be clear, I have no idea how this netcode thing works and obviously just Triple or Quadruple Weaving for free is some nebulous poo poo.

I mostly am just curious at what perceived advantage is being seen in xivcombo that is apparently so gamechanging as to be called cheating. For advantages in.... something? It doesn't even work in PvP because those skillsets are already condensed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I mostly am just curious at what perceived advantage is being seen in xivcombo that is apparently so gamechanging.

The game is explicitly designed around having accurate mechanical control over your actions, including your filler combos. It's as much a point as PVE content as dodging and other mechanics. You can argue that it's bad design or whatever, but it's the stated goal of the developers.

Those that do have a disadvantage, as much or little as it matters, as those that consolidate them onto the same buttons.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

To be clear, I have no idea how this netcode thing works and obviously just Triple or Quadruple Weaving for free is some nebulous poo poo.

I mostly am just curious at what perceived advantage is being seen in xivcombo that is apparently so gamechanging as to be called cheating. For advantages in.... something? It doesn't even work in PvP because those skillsets are already condensed.

My primary concern is always that increasing normalization of third-party tools to gain personal advantages will be increasingly expected, if not mandatory, for high level gameplay. This was already seen in the most recent Ultimate with the use of auto-markers and audio callouts (and I'd be very surprised if the non-JP players weren't running Alexander on the sly), but it can very easily filter down into the general population. That you'd have DBM installed and ready in WoW for dungeons and raids was not just desired but demanded, and a similar situation could easily crop up with people feeling pressured to adopt extensive ACT callouts or outright software-level cheats to increase their own performance relative to everyone else who's already adopted them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like trying to argue easier inputting is cheating is kind of pointless because there are a lot of things you can do which are cheating, especially with gaming mice and such.

Like it's extremely trivial, for example, to set up your gaming mouse so it taps certain buttons on cool down, effectively removing the need for you to press them yourself. If you have a particularly nice one you can basically set up a macro that perfectly does your opener at the touch of a button. (Easiest for ranged DPS but I'm sure you can do it for other classes.) Even if you don't have mods people are going to have unfair advantages in the game unless they are playing on PC with specific hardware. You can pretty trivially replicate the effects of something like XIVcombo.

Like I get it would make the game less fun for people but at the moment you still can do exactly that it just involves specialized hardware, which sucks for people playing on console/without specialized hardware who could benefit from it from anything to reducing button bloat to making it easier on hold person hands. I use a gaming mouse myself and while I don't use macros I do have a much easier time doing things because I have 8 buttons my thumb can press any time. (I also have Glare/etc on a single button I can hold down instead of needing to tap because that is how healers roll.)

You can't police hardware but I feel like it makes more sense to give people access to tools instead of trying to keep them out and in turn you just end up saying certain people can get the advantages but others can't.

This obviously doesn't count for super super for-real cheating stuff because that fuckin' sucks, but if the barrier to someone playing a class isn't their ability to play it but their ability to play it comfortably that is something developers should find a way to fix.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Sure is cool that it takes some people twice as long as normal to get Garo gear because the MMR apparently doesn’t work.

I’m going something like 10 losses for every 1 win in Bronze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the best realistic solution is to provide a number of classes with distinct playstyles and feels so that if you hate combos or can't double weave you can just play a class where that isn't an issue, even on PS4

Which is already the case, as it turns out, though I'm very sympathetic to the idea that too many every melee classes are combo based in the current setup and in general that more can be done to ensure that everybody has a class that feels good for them