Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I’m working through Thomas Sankara Speaks right now

highly recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is there good English literature about Sankara or is it mostly in French still?

been asking about this

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wynott dunn posted:

I’m working through Thomas Sankara Speaks right now

highly recommended

it's good, but it's just the speeches he gave, and a couple of articles

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sankara speaks is p' good. collection of speeches and interviews so primary source, but the dude was a prolific speaker for the two or three years he was allowed to be. you can glean some analysis and biographical stuff from the interviews and speechs, policies and practices are clearly laid out multiple times. if you want a guide on how to piss off the imf/dgse/cia it's pretty good. it's also just a nice book, well edited, clearly translated, nice color plates in the middle, timelines and glossaries

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

what is the prison industry though? Private prisons are only 8% of all state and federal penitentiaries. That's not to say that state-run prisons are free of profit making enterprises though. Inmates and their families are nickled and dimed for everything and even on calls and emails, so it is very expensive to be inside. The firms making the profits from these contractors end up being typical technology focused private equity firms or large service industry conglomerates like Aramark*. Basically the same firms that are in charge of the "normal" service economy. Service work is some of the least compensated and "skilled" outside the walls as well, so these firms actually face a contradiction when it comes to locking up more workers. Those are often the same workers they exploit on the outside as well.

The growth of prisons in the US was driven by the state pursuing the interests of the bourgeois class as whole first, and the firms that profited are just the leeches going to feast of the resulting human misery. They influence policy now, but they aren't the main drivers of it.

People focus on prison labor, and while it is slavery, often times people inside want to join the work programs because it's a relief from the rest of prison life. Like, the US prison system is so horrific for people in it slave labor is seen as an improvement. I admit here that I'm no expert and am only really familiar with northern US institutions, the prisons that are former plantations in the south might be a different story. If prison labor was the goal I don't think the implementation would be a haphazard patchwork. The bigger role prisons typically have in the economy is to provide employment in areas that lost industrial jobs over the past decades. As deindustrialization played out, Black people in the cities were locked up and white people in small towns went from being factory workers to being prison guards.

*I originally put Sodexho but the algorithm makes their US prison food contracts hard to find because they run private prisons in Europe. Aramark runs detention centers in Europe too but I guess they get less attention.
This was very helpful, thanks.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

not to dredge up the last page but

"international confidence" may be a completely bullshit thing but it's a bullshit thing that effects the movement of trillions of dollars

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Voice of Labor posted:

"international confidence" may be a completely bullshit thing but it's a bullshit thing that effects the movement of trillions of dollars

Let it go you loving freak

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

wow that's too bad. we had a good run but the rest of the world just figured out we're imperialist assholes. show's over folks

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

wow that's too bad. we had a good run but the rest of the world just figured out we're imperialist assholes. show's over folks

it was that credit rating downgrade really. it's not that the rest of the world magically figured out that the u.s. is a monster, it's that the u.s. is otherwise weakening to the point where I think its assholery can and will be used as leverage against its interests. look at the dow, number goes up biggly when decorum lapdog biden is in and bad orange man is out. a previous poster mentioned importing white collar labor, I don't think engineers and doctors are going to want to move to a country where abortion isn't legal and 1/2 the population is in prison

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol come on man

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The old version of this thread was excellent and this version sucks rear end.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

lmfaoing at the idea that america, the world hegemon and principal consumer of global capitalism, would ever be punished for anything it ever did in any way whatsoever

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

having a very stern talk with my car's engine about how it has not been performing very well recently and is leaking oil so it won't be allowed to be in the car any more when I drive to the store

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Holy asswipering chumpfuckistan… check out this sh*t
what the picklerick… heres an illustration in case you missed it Holy. Farking. Cum. Luxury automatic gay space communism (epic gangnam style) is here :agesilaus: :allbuttons: :wotwot: :bisonyes: :woof: :catbert: :syoon: :smugteddie:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't think engineers and doctors are going to want to move to a country where abortion isn't legal and 1/2 the population is in prison

lol especially at this. what do you think the approval ratings for these policies are among licensed professionals? the maintenance of a felon underclass benefits them! the reduced independence of women benefits at least half of them!

these policies exist to split a section of the working class out so that they support the state coalition. america was founded and has been sustained by telling the surplus male population of europe "grab what you can and we'll support your tiny princely rule of it." kill natives, shoot trespassers, beat your wife, invade and overthrow everywhere we aim you at, and teach all your sons to do the same. golly gee, why would anyone take that trade? didn't they realize it would make them monsters?!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Algund Eenboom posted:

what the picklerick… heres an illustration in case you missed it Holy. Farking. Cum. Luxury automatic gay space communism (epic gangnam style) is here :agesilaus: :allbuttons: :wotwot: :bisonyes: :woof: :catbert: :syoon: :smugteddie:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tvol are you aware that there is a thing called the imperial core?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

let's keep star wars chat to a minimum and try to stay on topic, ok?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Isn't that the thing that Luke blew up with the X-Wing

E: gently caress DA MODS

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

it was that credit rating downgrade really. it's not that the rest of the world magically figured out that the u.s. is a monster, it's that the u.s. is otherwise weakening to the point where I think its assholery can and will be used as leverage against its interests. look at the dow, number goes up biggly when decorum lapdog biden is in and bad orange man is out. a previous poster mentioned importing white collar labor, I don't think engineers and doctors are going to want to move to a country where abortion isn't legal and 1/2 the population is in prison
it was going up bigly when orange man was in, too

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Algund Eenboom posted:

lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Marx ahegao

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the sun set on the british empire. spain and france basically turned a bunch of their former holdings over the u.s. over the last hundred years. empires crumble, america will be lucky if it manages to hold on to hawaii and canada

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

it was going up bigly when orange man was in, too

not when he was trying to coup the office. instability's not good for business. regressing on an issue that everyone has been told is a big deal for half a century and which has also been effectively considered a settled issue is going to be a driver of instability.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Doc Hawkins posted:

lol especially at this. what do you think the approval ratings for these policies are among licensed professionals? the maintenance of a felon underclass benefits them! the reduced independence of women benefits at least half of them!

I bet you putting a stop to "overpopulation" is a lot more popular of a notion than arfticially increasing the prison population

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

since I'm the dumbest motherfucker in the room

finally something i agree w/ tvol about

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I bet you putting a stop to "overpopulation" is a lot more popular of a notion than arfticially increasing the prison population

i don't know what you're comparing here. for starters, all prison population is artificial.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah that's where God sends all the souls when he makes people

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

Azathoth posted:

let's keep star wars chat to a minimum and try to stay on topic, ok?

please do your job and probe tvol for as long as possible, thx

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
:siren: Pluto Press is doing 50% off all books until May 12th :siren:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone have a book recommendation on, uh, the psychology of false consciousness?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone have a book recommendation on, uh, the psychology of false consciousness?

So, good news: there's a superlative book about not only that but more

the bad is that you are going after somebody who knows their psychoanalysis and their Marxism. You know, that guy. him.

https://www.versobooks.com/books/348-the-sublime-object-of-ideology

edit: fair warning, this is one of the Serious Zizek books in which he advances philosophy, so it has a loving lot to unpack. However I can't recall another book that elaborates so well on those themes and has a thorough Marxist bent coupled with a psychological focus (through psychoanalysis)

dead gay comedy forums has issued a correction as of 07:27 on May 7, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/joeywreck/status/1522800963702214656

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

croup coughfield posted:

please do your job and probe tvol for as long as possible, thx

this

or please assign this thread an ik that will

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/endsanctions/status/1522729579084800001

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

MLSM posted:

:siren: Pluto Press is doing 50% off all books until May 12th :siren:

Any recommendations for a newbie? I've watched some very high level intro videos on idealism vs materialism, dialectics and dialectical materialism and historical materialism, contradiction and so forth, but I think I'm looking for good newbie books that apply these concepts very clearly and simply to more contemporary events and systems we have now. Hope this doesn't sound stupid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1523103857990979584

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Hmm

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe they meant it was more specifically 1918