Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

MokBa posted:

I'm rewatching KotH right now and not only is Stephen Root playing Bill and Buck Strickland, he also just contributes tons of voices all over the show. He's basically KotH's Harry Shearer.

Yeah, he's amazing. #1 shameless Stephen Root booster, right here. The dude is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Another episode that went by way too fast. Gene's off script outburst is definitely gonna make it into the show, and I'm gonna guess that it's gonna spark more offers from Hollywood. Tension's ratcheting up, next week can't come soon enough. And man do I want to see Fuches eat poo poo, he's such a scummy character and I love it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MokBa posted:

I'm rewatching KotH right now and not only is Stephen Root playing Bill and Buck Strickland, he also just contributes tons of voices all over the show. He's basically KotH's Harry Shearer.

Who actually does more voices in the Simpsons, Shearer or Azaria?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

oh jay posted:

That kid actor is loving killing it. Which makes me feel like poo poo for not catching her name in these past 3 episodes.

She was the star of Eighth Grade and was amazing in that as well.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I mean no snark by this, but I'm still amazed that people are continuing to learn this in 2022.

Stephen Root has done a ton of stuff, but I think Bill is his longest running gig, might be one of his more well-known. And now it's even MORE well-known!

It's crazy, because listening to Bill with that in mind, it's completely obvious, Root isn't even changing his voice very much. And I used to love Newsradio and Office Space, too, it's not like I didn't know who the guy was.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dick Jones posted:

The phone call scenes between LA and Chechnya should have had drastically different sunlight. Deducting one star from my rating for this week's episode. :colbert:

Barry was indoors, you don't know it could have been a night shoot :thunk:

e:
Well Gene ran outside after the scene and it was daytime, I retract my :thunk: and replace it with :downsgun:

I mean no snark by this, but I'm still amazed that people are continuing to learn this in 2022.

Stephen Root has done a ton of stuff, but I think Bill is his longest running gig, might be one of his more well-known. And now it's even MORE well-known!

I haven't watched KotH in a long long time, but still +1 to this :aaa:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Stephen Root also plays an outlandish southern judge called 'The Hammer" on Justified.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Stephen Root also plays an outlandish southern judge called 'The Hammer" on Justified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIRDCR8xSO0

He steals his scene in Idiocracy too.

e: ehh steals is a strong word I guess, more like 'Every Stephen Root Character Turned Up To Eleven'

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 9, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot about this!

He also gets Anton Chigur'd in No Country for Old Men.

Stephen Root is always great, and I love seeing him pop up in stuff. Get Out? There he is again!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
If you enjoy your Stephen Root ultra slimy like he is in Barry, you gotta check him out as crooked-as-gently caress lawyer and con artist Gaston Means in Boardwalk Empire

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hmm that's kinda Western, but we can go further West:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyqBAYCECZU

He's got a bit of dialogue before this but I can't find it on Youtube :(

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

pnumoman posted:

And man do I want to see Fuches eat poo poo, he's such a scummy character and I love it.

I know its not this kind of show but I was really hoping Fuches would find peace in Chechnya. He looked genuinely happy with his goats and NoHo Hank's sister(?) or mother (?) or cousin(?). It was worth it though just for the scene of him telling Hank he is staying. Just shocking everyone with that.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Ishamael posted:

She was the star of Eighth Grade and was amazing in that as well.

This is even more interesting than the Stephen Root stuff, I had no idea it was that actress.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Stephen Root had a role on like 3 episodes of Grounded For Life in the early 2000s and he will always be that to me.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 9, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Stephen Root had a role on like 3 episodes of Grounded For Life in the early 2000s and he will always be that to me.

The blind radio station dj from O Brother Whereart Thou, for me.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

oh jay posted:

The blind radio station dj from O Brother Whereart Thou, for me.

That's him? poo poo, haven't seen that one in a good while.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Who actually does more voices in the Simpsons, Shearer or Azaria?

Well I'd consider Toby Huss the Azaria of KotH because they both play the most offensive accent in each show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Takes No Damage posted:

Hmm that's kinda Western, but we can go further West:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyqBAYCECZU

He's got a bit of dialogue before this but I can't find it on Youtube :(
PAN SHOT!
Buster Scruggs had some good parts.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

new episode was real good. kinda just want this season to end with Gene strangling Barry to death while everyone watches and cheers

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

new episode was real good. kinda just want this season to end with Gene strangling Barry to death while everyone watches and cheers

There's already been a confirmation for season 4.

The good news (aside from getting more of this show) is that they got the go-ahead for both S3 and S4 at once, or at least relatively close together, so the writing will obviously reflect that, and there won't be some weird unresolved/retcon/weird restart that some shows have when they don't know if they'll get another season.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

There's already been a confirmation for season 4.

ghost barry inhabits gene's body and forces him to kill for 8 riveting, hilarious, series-closing episodes

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

DaveKap posted:

PAN SHOT!
Buster Scruggs had some good parts.

I was really enjoying it until the Liam Neeson story which was an incredible piece but also such a bummer that I turned it off and never watched the rest

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

I was really enjoying it until the Liam Neeson story which was an incredible piece but also such a bummer that I turned it off and never watched the rest

GET BACK IN THERE! That's my least favorite story of the 6, and outside of the recitation of Ozymandias at the beginning the whole thing is really slow and boring, and yes the end is dumb and needlessly cruel. It sucks.

BUT. After that you get to watch Tom Waits dig for gold and commune with nature for 20 minutes (I'd give it a B, non-Waits fans maybe a C) but after that is The Girl Who Got Rattled which may be one of my favorite Coen Brothers things full stop. It's based on a short story that is maybe 5 pages long, and the amount that they're able to draw out of such a small piece of source material blows my mind.

The last story is a bottle episode of people telling stories in a haunted(?) stagecoach. It's fine.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

GET BACK IN THERE! That's my least favorite story of the 6, and outside of the recitation of Ozymandias at the beginning the whole thing is really slow and boring, and yes the end is dumb and needlessly cruel. It sucks.

BUT. After that you get to watch Tom Waits dig for gold and commune with nature for 20 minutes (I'd give it a B, non-Waits fans maybe a C) but after that is The Girl Who Got Rattled which may be one of my favorite Coen Brothers things full stop. It's based on a short story that is maybe 5 pages long, and the amount that they're able to draw out of such a small piece of source material blows my mind.

The last story is a bottle episode of people telling stories in a haunted(?) stagecoach. It's fine.

coward. give the tom waits vignette the A it deserves. like a B- for a non-Waits fan

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed pretty hard at the reveal that a: the show starred Mark Paul Gosselaar and b: that it had one of those stupid cutesy names. Also Natalie doing a very poor job reassuring Katie by mentioning that Barry had killed people before.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

demostars posted:

I'm guessing with how early things are Cousineau isn't getting written off "Laws of Humanity," but does anyone else think that the delivery of his off-script line is reminiscent of Barry's delivery of his line in Hamlet in S1? Both are reliving one of their most traumatic moments while acting, but Gene, either through rustiness or being at root a worse actor than Barry, breaks from what he's "supposed" to say.

Oh Gene's ad-lib is absolutely supposed to mirror Barry, and I really liked that bit of story-telling. Both Hader and Winkler have been acting their asses off this season, their pain and despair is almost infectious at times, they do a fantastic job portraying people who have just plain broken down inside.

Also god drat this season is daaaark. And good.

It really should have hour long episodes though.

Dick Jones posted:

The phone call scenes between LA and Chechnya should have had drastically different sunlight. Deducting one star from my rating for this week's episode. :colbert:

Yea, I didn't even know he was in Chechnya, I thought they just drove him off to a farm a few hours away and had those people stay with him so he doesn't run away/kill him when they get the order. I must have missed when they said it. It could be the sun like you said, because it doesn't look all that "out-of-country" as much as it looks like a cruddy shack with a goat farm.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Tumble posted:

Yea, I didn't even know he was in Chechnya, I thought they just drove him off to a farm a few hours away and had those people stay with him so he doesn't run away/kill him when they get the order. I must have missed when they said it. It could be the sun like you said, because it doesn't look all that "out-of-country" as much as it looks like a cruddy shack with a goat farm.

okay, so the Mexico yellow filter apparently is needed.

Great episode, but not as exciting as the previous one, which mixed comedy and drama amzingly.

Will Barry have to kill the costar of the show? It's building up to something

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

barry's gonna have to kill a child imo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He did threaten to kill the grandson.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Tumble posted:

The Chechens probably drugged him and told him he was in Chechnya, when in fact he's just in the Santa Ynez Valley.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It would be pretty funny if Barry researched where would be a good part of California to raise goats in and just pulled up on him.

“Barry, what are you doing in Chechn*gets shot in the face*”

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I also think he's not really in Chechnya, but rather he was made to believe he is, so he wouldn't run away from the barn in California they got him stashed at. This show is otherwise pretty attentive to detail, so it seems weird that they'd mess up a basic detail like european timezones.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Also the new (and canceled) saved by the bell reboot is loving fantastic. Zach Morris as an oblivious lovely GOP governor is pitch perfect. Nice to see him continue that cibe as Hugh Manity,

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ignis posted:

I also think he's not really in Chechnya, but rather he was made to believe he is, so he wouldn't run away from the barn in California they got him stashed at. This show is otherwise pretty attentive to detail, so it seems weird that they'd mess up a basic detail like european timezones.

Well, Noho did say they'd booked him a return flight.

My favorite thing was the Chech mob boss being like 'Yeah you're right, this isn't worth it, I'll take the boys out to lunch then bounce.' You know they're going to be on the way to the airport and then get hit by Noho's guys, causing them to stay and fight it out. I'd also guess that Barry kills them all in the last episode but that would be a retread of the end of last season so :shrug:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

"And you say this happened to a friend of yours?"

loving lost it at that. And holy poo poo, I totally missed the Hugh Manity joke, wow. That's a great one. I can perfectly picture Bill Hader laughing at that when it's pitched during a writing session.

Also, the main guy in Hank's crew I just recognized from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul. He's Gus' doctor, Barry Goodman (lol).

Barry and BCS are my current two favourite shows and that's a neat link.

He was also the boss that gets assassinated in Fargo S1 and is the older version of the Native American guy in S2

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Takes No Damage posted:

Well, Noho did say they'd booked him a return flight.

My favorite thing was the Chech mob boss being like 'Yeah you're right, this isn't worth it, I'll take the boys out to lunch then bounce.' You know they're going to be on the way to the airport and then get hit by Noho's guys, causing them to stay and fight it out. I'd also guess that Barry kills them all in the last episode but that would be a retread of the end of last season so :shrug:

Yeah, Fuches is an idiot but even he would have sensed something was up if the plane trip to Grozny only took an hour & change.

I have a gut feeling Fernando has sensed Cristobal's weakness and is just humoring him with the decision to let the soldiers down easy. Nobody rises to that status and just shrugs & walks away from free LA real estate.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, both bosses seem to know something is up with their head guys and I'm sure it will lead to situational comedy and drama.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Robobot posted:

Yeah, both bosses seem to know something is up with their head guys and I'm sure it will lead to situational comedy and drama.

Yeah, I can't help but think Hank and Cristobal are headed into a kind of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid type situation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Robobot posted:

The coincidences and near-misses keep stacking up and finally the boss guys have a sit down and put it together and also wind up falling in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’m hoping they run away together and live happily forever on a CA goat farm.