Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Critically acclaimed dark comedy from Alec Berg (Silicon Valley) and Bill Hader (SNL, Documentary Now) about a former US Marine, now a jaded hitman from Cleveland, who goes to L.A. for a job, stumbles into an acting class led by Henry Winkler (the Fonz, Arrested Development) and decides he wants to become an actor.

It was a slow burn but the 2nd half really picked up speed with the last 2 episodes upping the stakes with great writing and performances, making it one of the best show on TV last year imo. Hader won an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor as did Harry Winkler (somehow only his first!) - NoHo Hank was undoubtedly the fan favorite of the show and Sarah Goldberg was incredible as Sally.

If you enjoy stuff from the Coen Brothers, lived in LA/NYC and/or dealt with drama/aspiring actor types, the darkness of Bojack Horseman, you should probably check out this show.

A few Season 1 highlights included:
  • "Bigfoot" via lipstick camera, that is clumsily hacked by the LAPD
  • an actor who plays Pinocchio, but just the movements because it's all CG and a child does the voice
  • Someone wanting to perform a scene from a movie about child molestation at a memorial service
  • Taylor flatly commenting about how much this guy jizzes
  • 2 great episodes directed by Atlanta director Hiro Murai
  • fun facts about the height of Bolivians
  • gender swapped MacBeth
  • great bad acting
  • flirting regarding kicks to the balls
  • teeth filing
  • Fuches doing a Mexican impression of Milton from "Office Space" on a burner phone
  • humorous headshots (in more than literal ways)
  • a 45-year old Chechen assassin who looks like a 78 year old man
  • the best use of emoji's shown on TV
  • “The queen, my lord, is dead.”

Season 2 picks up with Barry now working in a Lululemon store and NoHo Hank teaming up with the Bolivians (?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir1_hjemxNA

Bill Hader as Barry Block (nee' Berkman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZ52mG1yIo&t=61s

Henry Winkler as Gene M. Cousienau

Sarah Goldberg as Sally Reed

Stephen Root as Monroe Fuches

Anthony Carrigan as Noho Hank

Misc Cast

:siren:SPOILERS FOR SEASON 1:siren:
Let's remember those we lost in Season 1. RIP.

• Ryan Madison
  • Stovka
  • A shitload of Bolivians in the stash house
  • That other Bolivian from Ep 3 Barry strangled next to a house party
  • Several Chechens
  • Taylor

• Vaughn
  • That creepy Chechen Vacha and his brothers
  • Chris
  • Goran Pazar
  • Detective Moss

(I'll clean up and add more detail to the OP when I get a chance)

sticksy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The world needs a Noho Hank spin-off/prequel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think if this show had ended with season 1 it would be perfect, so I’m a little trepidatious about this season. But overall I love the characters and trust the writers enough that I’m mostly excited.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I'm stoked. I've got faith in this writing team

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Oh man they brought up the McDonald's Theory of Conflict Prevention. I just did a lesson loosely based around that for my students, wonder how a middle school would feel about showing an episode of Barry...

Noho Hank is one of my favorite characters on TV right now.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Escobarbarian posted:

I think if this show had ended with season 1 it would be perfect, so I’m a little trepidatious about this season. But overall I love the characters and trust the writers enough that I’m mostly excited.

Are you the TV critic for the NYT...?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/arts/television/barry-finale-hbo-bill-hader.html

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If anyone has a gif of the knife scene please share.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Barry is so fucken good. The absolutely inept replacement for Barry in the beginning just getting unceremoniously popped by the police after shooting himself in the leg was just perfect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I wish!!

loving awesome premiere.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Great first episode, hank is on fire.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
"I will never, EVER, play an Australian."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtKCiBYSgDY&t=75s

Well done, show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Conclusions posted:

"I will never, EVER, play an Australian."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtKCiBYSgDY&t=75s

Well done, show.

her Australian accent is impeccable.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every interview I heard leading up to last night plus the little after-show vignette was centered on "people keep asking if Moss is actually dead and ... "

It never occurred to me she WASN'T until they brought up that "everyone" was asking if she was. I found the finale to be pretty unambiguous. So I can't decide if I missed something, if they're gaming us for fun, or they are actually going to ret-con the finale for a twist. I hope not the latter.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Huxley posted:

Every interview I heard leading up to last night plus the little after-show vignette was centered on "people keep asking if Moss is actually dead and ... "

It never occurred to me she WASN'T until they brought up that "everyone" was asking if she was. I found the finale to be pretty unambiguous. So I can't decide if I missed something, if they're gaming us for fun, or they are actually going to ret-con the finale for a twist. I hope not the latter.

Huh - I had assumed that, too and I just re-watched the first season in the past week to make sure I hadn't missed anything subtle (and because the show is really good).

I mean they showed the flashes from gun shots outside of Sally's bedroom but then again, they are pretty good at misdirection like Barry coming up behind Taylor in the stash house in S1, they didn't show the action/actual death. Maybe it's BECAUSE they had some precedent with misdirection that people might've been skeptical if they actually killed her off?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

She's dead. Barry is a super killer, he doesn't shoot at someone and miss. That was the hit-you-over-the-head-it-was-so-blunt subtext of his war story in acting class.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Another Bill posted:

That was the hit-you-over-the-head-it-was-so-blunt subtext of his war story in acting class.

I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me before your post but it reminded me of this SNL skit that Bill Hader makes better than it has any right to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZ52mG1yIo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Huxley posted:

The way they told the story, it sounded like they were also surprised that people didn't believe she was dead. Like, it wasn't their intent for it to be ambiguous, but people just couldn't accept it.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Hello I am interested in a Barry & Hank buddy-hitman season.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
What a great way to start the season, Hank was amazing

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
That loving knife scene killed me

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Oh...haha, we're all laughing at the hand stabbing thing....

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
"Tell me... What here is the one thing we've wanted to dip our toes in?"
"Chocolate!"
"Heroin"
"Heroin!"

That laid me out. Wasn't ready for the knife stabby hand and it almost ended me. This show is brilliant.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I loved that Hank had some Carly Rae Jepson? blasting as he left when he intimidated Barry in the parking lot. It’s just little details like that that make this show so good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"I'm wearing a wig. It's not my hair. This IS my shirt, though."

gently caress, Hank is ze best. And his turnaround at the end... I kept expecting him to break, and be all "Oh, hey, was that convincing?" in his normal way, but no. He's not loving around anymore. :clint:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Holy gently caress. I'm rewatching Blade Runner 2049 and Hank is totally in it as a weird dude behind the counter when K tries to get some info.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"I'm wearing a wig. It's not my hair. This IS my shirt, though."

gently caress, Hank is ze best. And his turnaround at the end... I kept expecting him to break, and be all "Oh, hey, was that convincing?" in his normal way, but no. He's not loving around anymore. :clint:

Barry broke his heart! Can you blame him?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MokBa posted:

Barry broke his heart! Can you blame him?

Not at all. I loved the scene and his delivery. Man, I hope he survives this season :ohdear:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He has to survive so we can get the Noho Hank spin-off that we so deserve.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think Hank will be fine but I don't think things are going to go great for Dauterive. Between the tooth and the DNA from the can he's hosed

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think Hank will be fine but I don't think things are going to go great for Dauterive. Between the tooth and the DNA from the can he's hosed

Do you mean Fuches? Things didn't exactly go great for him last season, either.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's what I said. The Bill Dauterive of murder. And I don't think he'll survive

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

gently caress this show is so good. Barry’s monologue juxtaposition and Hank getting real were both loving gripping

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm not sure if it's because he's so odd looking or if he's a really good actor but intimidating hank is actually pretty spooky

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's weird how Moss' partner went from the goofy one to basically sort of replace Moss now, at least in terms of mood. Now he's got that less-than-great partner who seems to be a sillier version of him last season. Unless I'm just retroactively making him seem sillier in S1?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm not sure if it's because he's so odd looking or if he's a really good actor but intimidating hank is actually pretty spooky

He's been kind of typecast as scary criminals for awhile now. I'm really hoping this show blows up his career.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's weird how Moss' partner went from the goofy one to basically sort of replace Moss now, at least in terms of mood. Now he's got that less-than-great partner who seems to be a sillier version of him last season. Unless I'm just retroactively making him seem sillier in S1?

He had a few moments of detective-ing between comedic sidekick takes, so I think the groundwork is there.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I don't think he was a bad detective he was just unmotivated/didn't care but his partner is dead, and the clues seem to be still coming in.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

There's a bunch of really interesting interviews out there with the actor. In a nutshell, he was an up and coming talent until alopecia completely derailed his career in his mid 20s. He pulled it back together playing these 'character actor' type rolls and isn't taking a moment of this second chance for granted. Generally a pretty feel good story.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
This show rules, and the first episode of S2 was just as good as last season. Can't wait for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I keep clicking on this thread thinking it's the Flash thread.

Well, that's my contribution. Thanks, for listening