Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

This obviously doesn't count for super super for-real cheating stuff because that fuckin' sucks, but if the barrier to someone playing a class isn't their ability to play it but their ability to play it comfortably that is something developers should find a way to fix.

I don't think this is entirely realistic tbh depending on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I think the best realistic solution is to provide a number of classes with distinct playstyles and feels so that if you hate combos or can't double weave you can just play a class where that isn't an issue, even on PS4

Which is already the case, as it turns out, though I'm very sympathetic to the idea that too many every melee classes are combo based in the current setup and in general that more can be done to ensure that everybody has a class that feels good for them

I 100% agree with this in theory but they lock both rewards and plot behind at minimum playing one of every class.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I mean if you want an actual effort post out of me: I think it's completely absurd to gatekeep an accessibility mod. That's like the direct counterpoint to making accessibility features. So pointing at that take and going "this is a good point" is just really stupid to me.

Also just because Yoshi-P says that fat fingering buttons is intended difficulty doesn't make it any less stupid of a point and calling it cheating to press 1 button instead of 2 is big reach. You still have to have knowledge of your job and the fight at hand to do things correctly. If you were calling Cactbot cheating I'd absolutely agree. But getting rid of some button bloat when controller hotbar space can get very cramped? Nah man you're just being ridiculous.

cactbot is cheating too
so is xivalexander, regardless of the funny thing where they outline their own definition of cheating to go "well see we don't fit it"
triggernometery does cheating things as well
its not exclusive.

Also, I can't gatekeep anyone dude. Like, I can, at most, call it lame

as for perceived advantage, it literally makes the game easier? like, people mess up combos, and not just bad players. It's a real part of fights and people are lying if they said they don't ever do it outside of like, true dummy situations

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I 100% agree with this in theory but they lock both rewards and plot behind at minimum playing one of every class.

yeah perhaps it should be amended to "more can be done to make sure everyone has at least one class that feels good to them per role quest"

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like trying to argue easier inputting is cheating is kind of pointless because there are a lot of things you can do which are cheating, especially with gaming mice and such.

Like it's extremely trivial, for example, to set up your gaming mouse so it taps certain buttons on cool down, effectively removing the need for you to press them yourself. If you have a particularly nice one you can basically set up a macro that perfectly does your opener at the touch of a button. (Easiest for ranged DPS but I'm sure you can do it for other classes.) Even if you don't have mods people are going to have unfair advantages in the game unless they are playing on PC with specific hardware. You can pretty trivially replicate the effects of something like XIVcombo.

Like I get it would make the game less fun for people but at the moment you still can do exactly that it just involves specialized hardware, which sucks for people playing on console/without specialized hardware who could benefit from it from anything to reducing button bloat to making it easier on hold person hands. I use a gaming mouse myself and while I don't use macros I do have a much easier time doing things because I have 8 buttons my thumb can press any time. (I also have Glare/etc on a single button I can hold down instead of needing to tap because that is how healers roll.)

You can't police hardware but I feel like it makes more sense to give people access to tools instead of trying to keep them out and in turn you just end up saying certain people can get the advantages but others can't.

This obviously doesn't count for super super for-real cheating stuff because that fuckin' sucks, but if the barrier to someone playing a class isn't their ability to play it but their ability to play it comfortably that is something developers should find a way to fix.

This is more or less what I've been getting at but I'm bad at words more often than not.

My original snarky image response was to the developer take that xivcombo should only be used by people that need it. An incredibly dumb take that is basically impossible to enforce or make judgments on.

And I'd pose this question: Do you consider it cheating for people with physical disabilities to use such a plugin? What kind of disabilities? Where do you draw the line between "this is someone that needs this feature" and "this is cheating and provides an unfair advantage"? I'd wager a guess that you can't comfortably make that call or put forth a concrete criteria to make a distinction.

Which is why I said that gatekeeping an accessibility mod is a really stupid take to have.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 10, 2022

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

speaking of plugins

has anyone noticed anything weird with XIVLauncher lately? it seems like the first time I try to use it every time it closes FFXIV after it gets to the SQUARE ENIX splash page and then I have to log in again. it always works fine the second time

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

speaking of plugins

has anyone noticed anything weird with XIVLauncher lately? it seems like the first time I try to use it every time it closes FFXIV after it gets to the SQUARE ENIX splash page and then I have to log in again. it always works fine the second time

I had this happen to me last night. No idea what the issue is. A little annoying but it is what it is I guess. Best you can do is submit a bug report to their discord.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I basically don't care as long as it doesn't start becoming so normalized and expected that eking out every advantage you can from plugins is something they'll expect in a random PF

which is why I push back so hard on condensed combos being an option in-game because I don't want to have to make my class less fun to play to meet the expectations of the party I'm in. And in general, I think that having classes with fewer buttons is already an accessibility option that exists already for people for whom drg is just unplayable or whatever, though it can go further

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
from the community that virulently opposes transphobia i bring you the latest take! ableism! behold our enlightened posting

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
pull up thread

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

from the community that virulently opposes transphobia i bring you the latest take! ableism! behold our enlightened posting

lmao shut up

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Frida Call Me posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLRv0b6wJlA

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Selane posted:

To be fair the reason why no one really cares about their dumb threats and continues to use mods is because their policy is so stupid in the first place. Like "cheaty addons are cheating" is reasonable, but when your policy is "all mods are cheating" then cheating doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. I will continue to be a cheaty-rear end cheater who cheats by using a mod that tells me the name of the song that is currently playing. And I'm not even joking, as that falls under their policy of "modifying the UI to display additional information is cheating!!!" Yes, but who cares?

Their policy isn't "stupid," just look at the debate going on right now ITT over what constitutes a "real" gameplay advantage. That stuff's hard to define in a way that will satisfy the whole playerbase (and by "hard" I mean "virtually impossible"), so having a blanket "no mods, ever" policy allows them to enforce bans on violations that are grey-area to players but clear-cut to them without kicking off a PR-denting community/developer perspective clash every time one of those bans gains attention.

Right now, they ban harmless mods like the orchestrion one as well, because otherwise they have to set public precedents about how they deal with the :can: mods that do both harmless UI things and actual gameplay advantage-related things, and as they've mentioned, screening mods for acceptability requires research, manpower, dev time, all that. They've got to have some stopgap measure in place until they get around to really dealing with the issue, and that's what the strict-on-paper-but-selectively-enforced bans system is.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Frida Call Me posted:

High ping is not a disability holy poo poo

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Frida Call Me posted:

you are literally the one being ableist by using disabled people as a cudgel in your argument for why you should be allowed to spoof animations to the server to fix your ping

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Frida Call Me posted:

Frida Call Me posted:

yes everyone uploading parses for normal content is definitely using it in a passive aggressive manner to shame you and not as a tool to potentially improve their own gameplay

yes you can make improvements on your gameplay by parsing normal content and running it through xivanalysis

no you don't need to do this to clear any normal content

I dunno if you've played other MMOs with serious combat/raid scenes, but practically speaking, enabling parsing to be talked about does in fact lead to people being incredibly petty and lovely even in the easiest content. We've got almost decades of WoW history to look at to prove this, lol. And I know you wanna try and pull this discussion back to all mods to try and get some tiny win here but the whole thing started and was about parse tools and other raid callout functions.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 10, 2022

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
ok but we can agree that moving to japan to have a better ping is cheating, because not everyone can do that

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

To be clear, I have no idea how this netcode thing works and obviously just Triple or Quadruple Weaving for free is some nebulous poo poo.

I mostly am just curious at what perceived advantage is being seen in xivcombo that is apparently so gamechanging as to be called cheating. For advantages in.... something? It doesn't even work in PvP because those skillsets are already condensed.

XIVCombo just makes it so you can mindlessly press 1 button and do your combo instead of spreading it to 1-2-3. I never used it on DRG because hitting 3, 4, or 5 helps my muscle memory with positionals (And I use an ingame macro to swap hotbars between combos).

XIVAlexander is a hacking tool that look at your ping and deducts that time from the native .5 second delay your oGCDs have which simulates having very low ping. Its undetectable by fflogs (Otherwise your parse would be red and your rear end would be banned from rankings and it would be VERY OBVIOUS you did) and doesn't exceed what ppl who live near what the servers can do. At least unless you edit XIVAlexander and then you risk getting flagged by fflogs. Here's their quoted text of it.

quote:

Latency and Timing Helper
Reduces the negative effects from playing with high latency (ping).

When you use an action, the client will apply 500ms animation lock, which will prevent you from using next action for a short amount of time. When the server processes the request, it will give your game client instructions about the supposed duration of animation lock (usually 600ms). Ideally, you should be able to use next action 600ms after the previous action, but the game client will let you use next action 600ms after server response, meaning that you're waiting for time taken for server response + animation lock time. Ideally, XivAlexander would simply get rid of time taken for server response part, but the server will rarely respond immediately even on sub-1ms ping, so you are given choices on how to make time taken for server response exclude your ping.

WARNING: Because of how it works, this addon is only a step away from flat out cheating. Changing temporal constants in code below the limit means you're effectively claiming that your latency is below zero, which is just impossible. Do NOT modify temporal constants in code, or you ARE cheating. You have been warned.

All the stuff that's native to XIVLauncher (Without using third party repos like BDTH) intentionally don't mess with packet data and just gently caress with things client side and aren't detected by the game.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

can we agree that working for Square Enix NA's server team and raiding from the office is cheating because not everyone has the technical know-how to land that job

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Impermanent posted:

ok but we can agree that moving to japan to have a better ping is cheating, because not everyone can do that

ill allow it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Vitamean posted:

can we agree that working for Square Enix NA's server team and raiding from the office is cheating because not everyone has the technical know-how to land that job

it's cheating because they get to know the mechanics ahead of time

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

RME posted:

it's cheating because they get to know the mechanics ahead of time

Getting the codex to see Fate Calibration alpha and beta mechanics before they happen is cheating.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you think the posts here are bad, imagine how stank it must have been on the JP forums to instigate all this

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You know it smell crazy in there!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thanks. I'll have to poke a bit to figure out which settings give the best quality to filesize ratio, but now I can show off.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you think the posts here are bad, imagine how stank it must have been on the JP forums to instigate all this

whatever thread started the private emulated practice server rumor must've been a real hoot

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Vermain posted:

whatever thread started the private emulated practice server rumor must've been a real hoot

Saw it on twitter first because TPS cleared TEA so fast.

Its funny seeing that get brought up 2 and a half years later.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i always have to wonder how easy people think making a private server is
much less a private server that's up to date

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I dunno if you've played other MMOs with serious combat/raid scenes, but practically speaking, enabling parsing to be talked about does in fact lead to people being incredibly petty and lovely even in the easiest content. We've got almost decades of WoW history to look at to prove this, lol. And I know you wanna try and pull this discussion back to all mods to try and get some tiny win here but the whole thing started and was about parse tools and other raid callout functions.

WoW is as bad as it is because the GMs dont do anything and let people be as lovely as they want, about anything. It's not just because you can call people slurs over dps numbers.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Neat!

Bruceski posted:

Thanks. I'll have to poke a bit to figure out which settings give the best quality to filesize ratio, but now I can show off.

NEAT

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I genuinely didn't expect to kick a hornet's nest with that post, what have I unleashed :eng99:

Actual legitimate question, I picked up RPR in order to have a melee job but I'm really not feeling the playstyle. Which of the other melee jobs would you suggest I try out? I should note I'm connecting to Primal from NZ in order to play with literally my entire friend group, so my ping isn't the greatest. I can dodge pretty reliably but double weaving is sketchy at best.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
basically every melee involves some level of double weaving so if its a huge, consistent problem for you youll have to play another role. i would say, having recently gotten them all to 90, that monk has the least among whats available now so i would give that a shot.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

basically every melee involves some level of double weaving so if its a huge, consistent problem for you youll have to play another role. i would say, having recently gotten them all to 90, that monk has the least among whats available now so i would give that a shot.

I'm still leveling up Monk through 80+, but it has a pretty limited number of doubles, yeah. It's mostly just Riddle of Wind/Riddle of Fire/Brotherhood occasionally overlapping, but you can probably single weave them just fine.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i'd ask how far you got with reaper; until you get enshroud at 80 it's, uh, not great in my opinion (and dire at lower levels. to me if feels very much like they designed it almost exclusively around 80-90 and everything before that is just...ugh) but i really enjoyed it from there

but that's also why i don't take reaper into roulettes so if that's the issue and you want a "main", well, yeah, maybe check out samurai or monk as mentioned?

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 10, 2022

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Bloody Pom posted:

Actual legitimate question, I picked up RPR in order to have a melee job but I'm really not feeling the playstyle. Which of the other melee jobs would you suggest I try out? I should note I'm connecting to Primal from NZ in order to play with literally my entire friend group, so my ping isn't the greatest. I can dodge pretty reliably but double weaving is sketchy at best.

I don't have good advice on ping-friendly melee jobs (because the other one I play is DRG), but I do recommend reserving judgement on RPR until you hit 80. Its core loop feels pretty barebones until you get your second gauge, but once you do it comes together into something more satisfying.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oneiros posted:

i'd ask how far you got with reaper; until you get enshroud at 80 it's, uh, not great in my opinion (and dire at lower levels. to me if feels very much like they designed it almost exclusively around 80-90 and everything before that is just...ugh) but i really enjoyed it from there

but that's also why i don't take reaper into roulettes so if that's the issue and you want a "main", well, yeah, maybe check out samurai or monk as mentioned?

I'll mostly be doing it for role quest completionism, and yeah 70-80 so far has felt pretty dire. Melee and healers are something I'll more or less be doing out of obligation, I'm a tank main and I'll probably stick to magical/ranged for DPS.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bloody Pom posted:

I genuinely didn't expect to kick a hornet's nest with that post, what have I unleashed :eng99:

Samurai can play effectively without a ton of double weaving.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Reaper 70-80 really felt like a 1-50 job lmao.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

with your ping enshroud may not feel very good anyway since it puts you in sicko mode with some double-weaves as part of the burst phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fiye posted:

Reaper 70-80 really felt like a 1-50 job lmao.

and 50 rpr feels like baby's first mmo job here you go kiddo 1-2-3 good job!