Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DrBouvenstein posted:

I purchased a new dresser and bedroom night stands last week, and they arrived Friday.

They are all still "flat pack" style furniture, but it's a little bit better quality than the average IKEA or Wayfair piece...in theory. Put the end tables together on Saturday, and all was well.

Went to put the dresser together yesterday, and...I can't. It looks like they packed in the wrong size cam screw. I checked, double checked, triple checked. Every hole on a board/drawer/other piece of the dresser that the "screw" side of the cam screw is supposed to go in is too large. And not just like "a little bit too large so when the cam lock is tightened it pulls the screw out." No. They're all too large in the sense of "the hole is large than the widest part of the screw." They have NOTHING to bite/screw into at ALL.

Emailed them, and maybe also try to call if I don't get a response soon. I could PROBABLY just go and buy a bunch of larger sized cam screws myself, but I shouldn't have to. But I'm half worried they'll just send a new batch of the same too-small sized screws.

There's also the possibility that the holes were made too large, but...how? I haven't checked ALL of them, but I'd say close to 50% and all are too large so it seems more likely the hardware bag I got was just for a different piece of furniture.

This reminds me of the chair that just broke my drat leg. The loose screw that felled me just does not fit. All three of us tried to fit it this morning. It is not the same size. I knew it was a cheap piece of crap. I did not know it would show me my bone.

Next time I'm getting a sturdy antique, or maybe a sweet rear end pro gaming chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

...you had a compound fracture? Or does "show me my bone" not mean your bone was protruding

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

...you had a compound fracture? Or does "show me my bone" not mean your bone was protruding

Oh no, spiral tibia and fibula fracture. Didn't break the skin, but it was very obvious that it wasn't where my bones normally are. I'll be fine, I'm just annoyed at the making GBS threads engineering of this chair is what got me. I just have to chill out and then walk awkwardly for a while.

Aging, that's my peeve. Stupid ancient bones.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The only ad I ever see on YouTube is for Tik Tok, and it's just 5 seconds of a disgusting man eating things disgustingly. I am not sure what the purpose of this ad might be, other than to warn people away from using Tik Tok.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm an environmental regulator and as such receive a steady stream of citizen complaints about environmental issues. The two things that annoy me the most are:

A. People who are trying to sound smarter or more authoritative than they are. Don't include legal or environmental jargon that you don't understand, or cite "code" or "permits" that don't exist.

B. People who escalate the tone and severity of a complaint before we even get to respond. What you submitted started with "I think my neighbor's car is leaking oil" and ended with "this is an extreme failure of leadership and a mark of shame on the city". Is that a reasonable tone to take before you've even made your first complaint?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
An Alan key pinged and took out my right eye while assembling a wardrobe in 2020 :(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

poo poo, talk about getting hexed, sorry about that

Also, about saying that

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tiggum posted:

In TV shows, when one person can see ghosts and they get caught apparently talking to no one or doing something else weird, they never do the extremely simple and obvious things that would prove the ghost was real. Like, have the ghost stand on the opposite side of the room and get the sceptic to show them a card. The ghost tells the medium which card, the medium tells the sceptic. You can do it in any location or under any conditions the sceptic likes. Proof, at least, of something supernatural even if you still have your doubts about ghosts in particular.

Instead they either keep the ghost a secret for no reason or claim they're talking to ghosts while offering no real evidence, and it's frustrating to watch.

Tales of Zestiria has a kind of fun take on that idea. The main character mostly keeps quiet about the seraphim unless he's with people he trusts because there are a lot of people who would know what it means and try to manipulate or hurt him, those he trusts that aren't in the party are aware that he's consulting with people they just can't see, and anyone else knows nothing unless told explicitly that he's the shepherd. Also from the outside his power is loving TERRIFYING, his sword is purely a ceremonial one, not even that sharp, but he swings his small toy and things just explode. They can't see the 2-5 other people fighting alongside him wielding their magics, so al they see is him walking towards them across a battlefield and all their allies just exploding. From the inside he's a JRPG protagonist, from the outside he's loving Tetsuo.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

First Chrome told me one of my passwords was compromised. Then another. Then another. I finally went into the password management page and pretty much all my passwords had been compromised??? JFC

Sorry, more a one-off bitch than a pet peeve. But still!

e: it's not all my passwords, but it's a lot. From my local library to Netflix to the Japanese Zojirushi site, where I once bought parts for my breadmaker. It doesn't seem possible. Google has some apt auto-fills, like "how are all my passwords compromised," but zero helpful suggestions.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 03:28 on May 4, 2022

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking as someone with a habit of talking to myself, it's really not a big deal and I'd certainly never let anyone find out that I could talk to ghosts if letting them think I talked to myself was an option. If I could. Which I can't. Of course. Heh heh.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So, she died 19 years ago and it's not exactly a raw wound but would it kill people to think before they just ask random strangers (in person or online) "have you called your mom" on Mother's Day?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ugh. Now Google wants to promote their dumbass app and it gives a small pop up when I go to it and the pop-up forces the page to go all the way to the bottom of the search results. Knock that poo poo off!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anything that pops up to advertise their app is a guarantee I will choose to not access the content rather than get the app

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A mildly annoying thing is that I can't watch the new Amphibia yet because it's not been put on the place I normally watch those shows. It's very late and that's frustrating me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I almost always use Bandcamp to buy albums because I want to support the artist but for some reason a few recent album releases aren't available there and I had to use iTunes or Amazon. I guess they switched record labels.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hate getting slightly too hot in two layers so I take the top one off and I'm too cold

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
It's about to be the time of year when my office gets too hot to wear a whole jacket/hoodie but I also don't like feeling the sharp edge of my desk against my bare arms. I'm about to just cut the sleeves off an old shirt and hold them up on my arms with little bands like an old-timey banker.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Parasol Prophet posted:

It's about to be the time of year when my office gets too hot to wear a whole jacket/hoodie but I also don't like feeling the sharp edge of my desk against my bare arms. I'm about to just cut the sleeves off an old shirt and hold them up on my arms with little bands like an old-timey banker.
Idea:

Put the old shirt on the desk

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
work whining removed nobody cares

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 12:41 on May 10, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PYF Pet Peeves You Didn't Know Were Peeves Until Now But Now You Hate It So, So Much

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate painfully slow explanations during lectures

guy explaining how to create database migrations like he's bob ross while i already got the thing he's still talking about 10 minutes ago

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Echoing a peeve I have already posted: My wife is russian and a flight attendant and now also pregnant. And like, hahahahahahah I get it the slavs and flight attendants are sluts great notice so funny. But nah our monogamous relationship is good and I did the deed. We video call when she's overnight away. How on earth do so many people think it's cool to objectify her or mock our relationship?

I'm one crack away from hitting one of my coworkers with a wrench. Shut upppppppppp

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:05 on May 11, 2022

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mark as spam. Continue with your life.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Atticus_1354 posted:

Mark as spam. Continue with your life.

Block sender is a good one too

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm one crack away from hitting one of my coworkers with a wrench. Shut upppppppppp

Do it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Could be worse; her first name could be Karen.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Echoing a peeve I have already posted: My wife is russian and a flight attendant and now also pregnant. And like, hahahahahahah I get it the slavs and flight attendants are sluts great notice so funny. But nah our monogamous relationship is good and I did the deed. We video call when she's overnight away. How on earth do so many people think it's cool to objectify her or mock our relationship?

Jesus what is wrong with people? Where do people get the idea that it's okay to mock people's family members to their face!? I am baffled and you absolutely should hit one of these clowns with a wrench. That behavior is in no way acceptable.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it a trope that slavs and flight attendants are slutty?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
the 1970s were just endless streams of bad one liners about wives and mother in laws and now your average boomer can't understand why there isn't canned laughter from all the people under 45 around him when he repeats them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

credburn posted:

Is it a trope that slavs and flight attendants are slutty?
It's 100% a stereotype that flight attendants are promiscuous, and the Slav side I'd expect is more related to mail-order bride stereotypes (Edgar Allen Ho has posted about this whole thing several times)

stringless has a new favorite as of 22:39 on May 11, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah that, it's absolutely a stereotype that flight attendants are prostitutes, and that plus the mail-order-bride slav woman. It gets frustrating! If you haven't heard any of it good for you, but it's a thing. Please stop insulting my wife :(

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anything that pops up to advertise their app is a guarantee I will choose to not access the content rather than get the app

Asking you to use an app instead of just using a regular web browser is essentially the company saying "our web site is dogshit and we know it and no we won't fix it".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When two videos are played side-by-side to highlight the differences. Maybe I'm unusual in this regard, but I can only look at one thing at a time. My eyes only point in a single direction. So I can't actually watch both videos simultaneously to see the difference you're trying to show me. It works fine with static images because I can look back and forth from one to the other, but a video is constantly moving so it's impossible to check if something you see in one is also in the other because it's already gone.

Play one then the other. And explain what to look for first.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Counterpoint:

https://mobile.twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1524753471853019137

Show us an example of what you're griping about

stringless has a new favorite as of 16:31 on May 14, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tiggum posted:

When two videos are played side-by-side to highlight the differences. Maybe I'm unusual in this regard, but I can only look at one thing at a time. My eyes only point in a single direction. So I can't actually watch both videos simultaneously to see the difference you're trying to show me. It works fine with static images because I can look back and forth from one to the other, but a video is constantly moving so it's impossible to check if something you see in one is also in the other because it's already gone.

Play one then the other. And explain what to look for first.

Lifehack:
Pause the video on each vignette

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

Show us an example of what you're griping about
It's not the best example but it's the one that reminded me of this problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKAsHSoz5lg

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pause the video on each vignette
That involves sitting up, picking up the controller, turning it on, pausing, rewinding, unpausing, getting comfortable again.

No. I won't.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

That involves sitting up, picking up the controller, turning it on, pausing, rewinding, unpausing, getting comfortable again.

No. I won't.

I'm with you.

Peeve: the sharks are smooth joke. I don't even get it. What's the joke? Sharks are not smooth.

Kid heard me say "I never got the smooth shark joke" and he keeps telling sharks are smooth now. Stoooooooooooooooop. Learn some biology. They are rough. That's one of their main traits. God.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:54 on May 15, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

No, they are. Smooth as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
twenty minutes after we closed for the day i found some customers still leisurely browsing the grocery store and asked them "Can I help you find anything?"

"no," they said. "what time do you close?"

"8:00," i answered. "It's currently 8:20."

we're not allowed to ask people to leave or urge them to bring their final purchases up or anything, so that was the entire interaction, after which they continued to shop all alone while we cleaned up around them until almost 8:45. i can't even imagine doing something like that – i feel a little guilty being in a store ten minutes before they close, and these folks felt absolutely fine about taking their time, wandering around, touching everything (we had to re-face all the shelves after they passed)... they didn't even pretend to apologize or anything... imagine living with such serene self-centered confidence...