Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Winifred Madgers posted:

Yes. It's a different beast in some ways, telling the same tale slightly differently, but it works very well and they complement each other, I would say.

Neat, I'll check them out. Probably a good time as I'm just finishing up S1 now so that material is pretty fresh for me (that cliffhanger at the end of ep25 is diiiiirty).

Nerdietalk posted:

What an absolute moron.

Oof, yeah that'll do it. The show touches on Max being pissy about the Empire trying to true-up with the cash his dad stole, but they completely leave out the genetically engineered unicorn dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at people.

Come to think of it I don't remember hardly any future sci-fi tech in the show, outside of general space travel and cool, clear cybernetic eyes. FPA looks pretty much like modern cities/suburbs, and the Empire was straight cosplaying the 1800s, and everybody has magical explody gas to explain having battleaxe combat 1000 years in the future. Even those Crono Trigger sleep chambers that give you 8 hours of rest in 60 minutes stick out a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doc Hawkins posted:

once again i am telling folks who are considering rewatching the show: that's good, me too, but also, read the dang ol books

Is there a decent place to get them as ebooks other than probably :filez:? The small amount of room remaining on my shelf is reserved for any text/reference/board prep books I may deign necessary in the future. Especially if I decide to buy Harrison's Internal Med or something since that thing is massive.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's kindle versions on Amazon. And ePubs on Barnes and nobel

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first three books are on audible too with a great old guy doing the read.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DamnGlitch posted:

The first three books are on audible too with a great old guy doing the read.

I believe they’ve been delisted unfortunately. I loved them, especially when he yells Bittenfeld’s line, “The goddess of victory is waving her panties in your face!”

He also nailed book Yang’s more surly and depressed tone. I love the books for giving that bit more of the technical side of the world and little bits of the logistics of each moving part, plus the lovely dry humour of that passage quoted earlier.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Dawn, Ambition and Endurance are still listed on my euro audible, but I don't know if audible actually has netflix-esque region locks

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If you bought them they’ll still be in your library, but I don’t think they’re still purchasable, at least in the UK.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I see whoever did the translation on the books couldn't decide between commodore and rear admiral since there have been a few times where it has flip flopped between the two in the same chapter.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I thought the DVD releases were still just transfers from the initial Laserdisc set, but it looks like a bunch of stuff was redrawn. I guess you could make arguments for both styles but I feel like the more pencil-line drawn style works better than the smoothed over CGI look:

OG:

DVD:

or

OG:

DVD:

Is there a legit/updated source for these "original" versions, or were they only ever released by Central Anime way back when (where those OG stills are from)?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I believe what happened is the masters were damaged between the LD and DVD releases, so they were redrawn out of necessity and can't be rereleased except in the form of an LD rip.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
This talk made me go and check out how available the LD's are on eBay and whatnot and :staredog: . They fetch a high price...

Also I came across this absolute steal of a deal lol

Special Collector's edition BluRay set

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bongo Bill posted:

I believe what happened is the masters were damaged between the LD and DVD releases, so they were redrawn out of necessity and can't be rereleased except in the form of an LD rip.

And there is the occasional scene that was barely recognizable on the LDs.

Mederlock posted:

This talk made me go and check out how available the LD's are on eBay and whatnot and :staredog: . They fetch a high price...

Also I came across this absolute steal of a deal lol

Special Collector's edition BluRay set

I'm glad I got that set, it's extremely nice, but not $4k nice.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

kirtar posted:

I see whoever did the translation on the books couldn't decide between commodore and rear admiral since there have been a few times where it has flip flopped between the two in the same chapter.

based on nothing but my experience reading them, im convinced they changed translators or editors mid-series

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Ah it seems so. There is a dude on Reddit who claims to be attempting a proper digital archive rip of the LD set but that thread hasn't seen much activity in a year or so.
https://www.reddit.com/r/logh/comments/kyrus0/i_am_excited_to_announce_legend_of_the_galactic/

e:
Also, I had thought the files I had were slightly out of sync, but it looks like straight LD rips are the same way. Am I crazy or do everyone's lips start moving just a bit before their dialogue track?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 4, 2022

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

OVA episode 98:

Say what you will about Reuenthal, but he deserves a salute for killing Trunicht where he stood

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

As of 2022 how do you find this? I watched it in Hong Kong years ago off a giant stack of DVDs but now it's ??? - even the link in OP is to an invite-only site.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Aside from piracy, it's on HiDive and there's a blu-ray box set out. The novels have been translated now too.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hidive sadly not available in my part of the world, but I'll see if I can track down the blu-rays. Thanks!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Beefeater1980 posted:

Hidive sadly not available in my part of the world, but I'll see if I can track down the blu-rays. Thanks!

The blu-rays were ridiculously expensive when they were available. Now that they aren't being made anymore they will be probably be even more overpriced.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Some of the Gaiden 4 episode series are as good as anything in the OVA; ton of Reinhard & Kircheis beginnings, which besides the murder investigation one I couldn't get enough of. First episode of Silver-White Valley Kircheis breaks up a gang rape, gets jumped after fighting 6v1, and then Reinhard goes super saiyan and steps on necks, doing his best Hugh Thompson @ My Lai massacre impression.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I didn't fully appreciate how long it's been since I watched the original until I got going onto this scheme of Schaft's with Geiersburg Fortress, and I realized I don't actually remember whether this was even a thing at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That whole scenario made me think way too much about the whole physics of space travel in Logh. Which is bad because it all makes zero sense

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finished the OVA run a few days ago and still kind of processing it all.

I think the fourth season stretch is weaker than the others, but it ultimately comes together in this beautiful package about the messy state of history. All the pieces left hanging clearly exist as if to just say "yeah, those problems will come back, because history never ends." Reuenthal's son reaching for the stars is one of the most chilling endings of all time that hammers home the cycles of empires. Another page turns in the book of history.

Still planning on making my way through the novels but it really is an immaculate piece of work. Unlike anything else.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Nerdietalk posted:

Finished the OVA run a few days ago and still kind of processing it all.

I think the fourth season stretch is weaker than the others, but it ultimately comes together in this beautiful package about the messy state of history. All the pieces left hanging clearly exist as if to just say "yeah, those problems will come back, because history never ends." Reuenthal's son reaching for the stars is one of the most chilling endings of all time that hammers home the cycles of empires. Another page turns in the book of history.

Still planning on making my way through the novels but it really is an immaculate piece of work. Unlike anything else.

Yeah Felix is too powerful, son of Reuenthal to be raised by Mittermeyer the most ethical Empire character after Kircheis dies, & the most innocent character in the entire show Mittermeyer's wife. I envision him and Reinhard's kid being the next Kircheis & Reinhard leading the Empire into a golden age, following Mittermeyer's leadership.

You should watch the Gaiden episodes if you haven't already checked them out; they are completely out of order chronologically for some reason which is lovely but watching them in order starting with Kircheis & Reinhard's first assignments I loved the majority of it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Clarification came out that the new 24 episodes will be split into two parts. The movies and episodes for the back half are coming out in the fall. So glad we're getting more and more logh.

Edit: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-05-12/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-die-neue-these-anime-gets-4th-season/.185624

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

Clarification came out that the new 24 episodes will be split into two parts. The movies and episodes for the back half are coming out in the fall. So glad we're getting more and more logh.

Edit: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-05-12/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-die-neue-these-anime-gets-4th-season/.185624

Agreed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Excellent

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Haven't been in this thread because I'm trying to avoid spoilers in my first watch of the OVA, but I just wanted to let you all know that I just finished episode 82 and I am not okay.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

Haven't been in this thread because I'm trying to avoid spoilers in my first watch of the OVA, but I just wanted to let you all know that I just finished episode 82 and I am not okay.

We've all been there Habibi :negative:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Bleck posted:

Yep. I took a six month break between 82 and 83. shits hosed!!!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Bleck posted:

One of us! One of us!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Has anyone been watching the remake? There's a couple of character focus episodes I don't remember in the OVA that I liked.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Has anyone been watching the remake? There's a couple of character focus episodes I don't remember in the OVA that I liked.

Yeah, I've been saying lately that LOGH is two of my top 3 shows of all time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yep been really enjoying it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm waiting for the years episodes to finish up before rewatching it all. I watched season one and two of the remake before binging the while original series so I'd like to go back and watch it all again.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I can't get into DNT right now, I probably will watch it all once it's released or more is out there though, just because of how much if love the original series.

I do much prefer the old animation and character styles though.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That's cool die neue these is still going I'll have to check it out.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Bleck posted:

Even knowing about it ahead of time still doesn't lessen the impact.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Starting my chronological order rewatch again now and still just in awe of the scope of everything (Yang's Bruce Ashbey investigation) totally forgot about Yang's dad and how he entered the military to get a free history education. Think I'm going to pickup the books as well. Hopefully in time the novels themselves will eventually get the respect they deserve worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

I do much prefer the old animation and character styles though.

Good that the LaserDisc remaster project is still alive then. This was just posted today :peanut:

https://i.imgur.com/CzfPWlN.mp4