Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i legitimately prefer the left joycon's individual buttons lol. at least i know when i'm hitting down

how's the switch light dpad

I have learned to accept the d-pad on the Joy-Cons for what they are. They work and don't mess with my Tetris game. It makes me sad though because the Switch Lite's d-pad is so much better. I may even get a Switch Lite partly because of that.

But as was stated, this is just one person’s d-pad preferences. You can only trust your thumbs really.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I did a case mod for the JoyCons that added a D-Pad to the left one and it works fine for me in handheld.

Otherwise I love the Pro and Pro 2's D-Pad. The SN30 or whatever was a bit mushy for me though and I wasn't as happy with that one, but the current 8Bitdo controllers seem fine to me.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i use a playstation 4 controller

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve never had a problem with the pro controller DPAD, I never play Tetris was able to beat Celeste and stuff just fine

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyone who likes the Pro D-Pad should try one of those Hollow Knight rooms where you have to do multiple consecutive downward nail-bounces on spikes-enemies and will die if it registers it as left or right.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did that fine on the pro controller

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the d-pad is nothing more than a deformed c-stick

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A second analog stick was a mistake, Nintendo had it right all along with the N64 controller.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Saw a switch lite for the first time at my mother in laws house, its got a really nice feel to it, I don't normally use switch handheld but it's perfect for my tiny hobbit hands

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I just use the 8bitdo Lite. It's the perfect controller for most games.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Robot Hobo posted:

It's better than the default Xbox 360 controller's D-pad, but beyond that, you might need to go back to the Intellivision to find worse. The real shame is that the original NES and SNES d-pads were pretty much the gold standard that nobody else was able to match, so it's not like Nintendo didn't know how to do it well at some point.

I’d disagree.

The GameCube d-pad was a real painful piece of poo poo due to being too small and hard to press.
Then there was the dreamcast d-pad, with edges so sharp they actually caused a blood blister on my thumb with casual usage.

But the absolute worst thing that was technically a d-pad was the NES Max, an ergo nightmare. Or maybe other people could use it and my double jointed thumbs couldn’t handle it, but it was both painful and physically nearly impossible to press.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how's the switch light dpad

its great. Never had a problem. I'm sure someone will say it killed their mum though.

Anyway thank you for your recommendations goons I bought the bluetooth adapter and will be using a PS4 controller

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Goreld posted:

I’d disagree.

The GameCube d-pad was a real painful piece of poo poo due to being too small and hard to press.
Then there was the dreamcast d-pad, with edges so sharp they actually caused a blood blister on my thumb with casual usage.

But the absolute worst thing that was technically a d-pad was the NES Max, an ergo nightmare. Or maybe other people could use it and my double jointed thumbs couldn’t handle it, but it was both painful and physically nearly impossible to press.

No the Max was poo poo, it was the cheapest way to get turbo on the NES in the mid 80s but otherwise absolutely worthless.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How is rune factory 5 if ur not an anime head

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Google Butt posted:

It'll either make you one, or you probably won't like it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Is the warioware switch game good? Not played a warioware since the original

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Google Butt posted:

It's pretty anime but not like egregiously so. Like it's a farming simulator and also a JRPG and is about as anime as that sounds.

One thing I dig that's missing from that pitch is that the RPG elements also apply to the farming bit. Most of them have a pretty tightly controlled economy, you can grow these crops at this time, and if you unlock some skills or choose the right fertilizer, you can increase the sale value of your crops a bit or make them grow 20% faster and get one more harvest.

I found a bag of pumpkin seeds early on and planted them on a plot, and they're one of those crops that regrow and can be harvested every few days. What I didn't know was that this happens because I kept fertilizing my fields, and harvesting crops also levels up your soil. Eventually the pumpkins started growing larger and larger and I got a quest telling me they'd fuse into a giant pumpkin if I let them be, but for some reason that never happened. I kept buying various fertilizers and dumping them on my pumpkins and the UI told me they did indeed stack, but no super pumpkins. When I finally realized what was happening was that the fairies I had tending my fields would harvest and ship any viable crops in the afternoon, and told them to take a break, I had a little plot of super soil ten levels above the rest of my field that would quintuple the growth rate of any crops, while yielding a bigger and higher quality harvest than its neighbors and turn anything planted there into a giant if left alone for a couple days.

the other jrpg parts i can take or leave but that bit i like

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not having played a warioware game before this one, I liked it

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

yeah it's solid. Absolutely shines in co-op but still what you'd expect if you only play single player

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sudden Javelin posted:

yeah it's solid. Absolutely shines in co-op but still what you'd expect if you only play single player

9volt can suck a gently caress, however.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's pretty anime but not like egregiously so. Like it's a farming simulator and also a JRPG and is about as anime as that sounds.

One thing I dig that's missing from that pitch is that the RPG elements also apply to the farming bit. Most of them have a pretty tightly controlled economy, you can grow these crops at this time, and if you unlock some skills or choose the right fertilizer, you can increase the sale value of your crops a bit or make them grow 20% faster and get one more harvest.

I found a bag of pumpkin seeds early on and planted them on a plot, and they're one of those crops that regrow and can be harvested every few days. What I didn't know was that this happens because I kept fertilizing my fields, and harvesting crops also levels up your soil. Eventually the pumpkins started growing larger and larger and I got a quest telling me they'd fuse into a giant pumpkin if I let them be, but for some reason that never happened. I kept buying various fertilizers and dumping them on my pumpkins and the UI told me they did indeed stack, but no super pumpkins. When I finally realized what was happening was that the fairies I had tending my fields would harvest and ship any viable crops in the afternoon, and told them to take a break, I had a little plot of super soil ten levels above the rest of my field that would quintuple the growth rate of any crops, while yielding a bigger and higher quality harvest than its neighbors and turn anything planted there into a giant if left alone for a couple days.

the other jrpg parts i can take or leave but that bit i like

You see, I want to love this aspect of Rune Factory, but just like with 4, when I'm playing RF5 I am stoned and chillaxing to the max and I am not responsible enough to care for crops to this degree. I can barely remember to stay up till 10 to trigger a heart event. RF5 owns.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Google Butt posted:

Probably not super great? The performance is pretty choppy at times, the 3D world is uglier than 2D, the farming isn't meaningfully different from 4, and the writing is just fine for the most part, probably worse than fine if you don't like anime. I say this all as a person who loved it, mind, but I am a big Rune Factory fan and was highly anticipating it.

Rune Factory 4S is better & cheaper, if you just want A rune factory on the switch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1524011380738859010?t=yhQOaB5Xf1gDE2ipcRQxvw&s=19

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is No Man's Sky/Hello Games considered indie anymore?

I need more info on that.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Say it with me, Sports Story.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nitsuga posted:

Say it with me, Sports Story.

this is going to be a hell of an indie world for Australian indie games that start with "S"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looking forward to new Silksong footage! :)

:(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never played Hollow Knight, but I'm pulling for y'all who want Silksong. I even thought to myself, when the last one ended "drat, still no Silksong...".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's not meant to be a sequel so that means it should be out a lot sooner!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I can't believe we'll finally get to play Silksong after the surprise drop tomorrow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is No Man's Sky/Hello Games considered indie anymore?

I need more info on that.

Nah. NMS keeps getting better and better and while we don't have figures, I'd bet they are taking in money now.

Not Madden or rear end Creed money but far more than that first launch year.

Not sure if I'll get it on Switch unless there is cross play/progression.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

BR untitled goose game where we play the hunans

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

JordanKai posted:

Looking forward to new Silksong footage! :)

:(

You fool! By mentioning it, you delayed the game by 3 more years.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

drat it why did i only just learn about Ys 8 AFTER it stops being on sale :negative:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

When [your hyped game] is not mentioned again:

https://twitter.com/adamgreattweet/status/1523734508654055425

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Morter posted:

drat it why did i only just learn about Ys 8 AFTER it stops being on sale :negative:

Ys 9 is on sale on the PSN if you have a Sony console

Edit: so is 8

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Nope, just a tendy switch. But i'll live with my decision. Plus, I'm gonna be making at least one major purchase in late June, and very possibly both (Fire Emblem Warriors sequel , and MHR:Sunbreak). So I think i'll..

beat the games I purchased :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Morter posted:

Nope, just a tendy switch. But i'll live with my decision. Plus, I'm gonna be making at least one major purchase in late June, and very possibly both (Fire Emblem Warriors sequel , and MHR:Sunbreak). So I think i'll..

beat the games I purchased :smith:

Whoa, buddy, let's not get crazy now.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Approaching probably 99% in Kirby. I don't think I have the juice to finish the final coliseum, but everything else hasn't been too bad. I've gotten all the boss stars, at least, just picking through the regular levels one or two per night.

Mostly final verdict: I think it's my favorite first-party game on the Switch so far. Just a consistently wonderful way to spend 20-30 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Huxley posted:

Mostly final verdict: I think it's my favorite first-party game on the Switch so far. Just a consistently wonderful way to spend 20-30 hours.
Agreed fully.

Also you should stock up on shield items and at least attempt the final colleseum. The final final boss is a hell of a spectacle.