Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

you just found this on the street?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The two that hit the WTC were planes, a cruise missile hit the Pentagon, George Bush ordered the 4th shot down, building 7 was blown up with explosives

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

like for example doesn't the bizzare connections and similarities between Oswald and Vallee point to Oswald as the trigger man? how does it not tie them together, or they're identical patsies, but then why did Vallee get caught

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

cagliostr0 posted:

The two that hit the WTC were planes, a cruise missile hit the Pentagon, George Bush ordered the 4th shot down, building 7 was blown up with explosives

if bush shot it down, why did building 7 get blown up, why a cruise missile? What motivation is there to shoot down a plane if your first two hits were successful?

If it's a cruise missile, where did flight 77 and its passengers go?

the dots don't connect...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Antonymous posted:

if bush shot it down, why did building 7 get blown up, why a cruise missile? What motivation is there to shoot down a plane if your first two hits were successful?

I'm making it up so I'll say the fourth plane got shot down because it did something it wasn't supposed to.

So... lets say the passengers unexpectedly managed to win back control of the plane, and thus it had to be downed to hide whatever they saw. That's an entertaining theory.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hollywood buy my script

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

still think about mh370 on long, cold nights… what happened??

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Antonymous posted:

The crashed plane on the way to the white house was plane 4. Plane 3 did a mh370 with its transponder. Building 7 was destroyed to give a plausible reason for all the SEC Intel being lost. The flight path, especially the final approach of the plane that hit the Pentagon is not feasible to fly in the plane that was supposed to have hit it.

Personally I think it wasn't so much one Grand scheme but a large number of small schemes that were all done simultaneously to take advantage of a huge distraction. There is enough circumstantial evidence that people were aware of the rough timing of when it would occur in advance that you could set up your small op and have it ready to go as soon as the fireworks start.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

cagliostr0 posted:

Personally I think it wasn't so much one Grand scheme but a large number of small schemes that were all done simultaneously to take advantage of a huge distraction.
wasn't there also the air equivalent of a fire drill at the same time?

or some sort of "exercise" anyway

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mawarannahr posted:

Pilot suicide.

Endman posted:

Only if you accept the nonsense of the magic bullet theory and completely ignore the Zapruder film that clearly shows him getting shot from the front.

The Zapruder film shows a big exit wound on the right side of his head, which indicates the bullet came from behind the limo. Trying to nitpick the physics of a video usually leads down a pointless and incorrect rabbit hole. It's more worth looking into connections, like the fact that Oswald got his job at the Texas Schoolbook Depository thanks to George de Mohrenschildt, who was acquainted with George H.W. Bush and Jackie Kennedy.

FFT posted:

wasn't there also the air equivalent of a fire drill at the same time?

or some sort of "exercise" anyway

Northern Vigilance, which involved redeploying fighter jets based on the East Coast to Alaska.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the shooting itself is the least interesting aspect of JFK aside from a few wacky aspects, and I'm sure history's monsters love how that aspect dominates the discourse

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Chamale posted:

The Zapruder film shows a big exit wound on the right side of his head, which indicates the bullet came from behind the limo. Trying to nitpick the physics of a video usually leads down a pointless and incorrect rabbit hole. It's more worth looking into connections, like the fact that Oswald got his job at the Texas Schoolbook Depository thanks to George de Mohrenschildt, who was acquainted with George H.W. Bush and Jackie Kennedy.

I disagree, I find it pretty obvious the bullet came from the front, propelling Kennedy backwards. It makes sense if you consider that the "splash" was from a glancing shot that didn't pass completely through his head, but sheared off the right side of his skull, which then hangs down in a particularly gruesome fashion. But as yourself and other posters have said, the mechanics of him being shot are the least important part of the assassination.

Oswald's intelligence connections seem so painfully obvious today that it's almost hilarious how the government line hasn't really changed from the Warren Report. Even the House Select Committee on Assassinations, while they admitted Oswald probably didn't work alone, didn't speculate much at all as to why he was just so drat spooked up.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Not to mention Jack Ruby, the world’s most obvious gangster. I can’t remember if it was the Warren Commission or the HSC that declared they couldn’t prove any mob connection to this Cuba-travelling nightclub owner :shepface:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Endman posted:

Not to mention Jack Ruby, the world’s most obvious gangster. I can’t remember if it was the Warren Commission or the HSC that declared they couldn’t prove any mob connection to this Cuba-travelling nightclub owner :shepface:

and we back to jolie west

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Endman posted:

I disagree, I find it pretty obvious the bullet came from the front, propelling Kennedy backwards. It makes sense if you consider that the "splash" was from a glancing shot that didn't pass completely through his head, but sheared off the right side of his skull, which then hangs down in a particularly gruesome fashion. But as yourself and other posters have said, the mechanics of him being shot are the least important part of the assassination.

Oswald's intelligence connections seem so painfully obvious today that it's almost hilarious how the government line hasn't really changed from the Warren Report. Even the House Select Committee on Assassinations, while they admitted Oswald probably didn't work alone, didn't speculate much at all as to why he was just so drat spooked up.

back and to the left. back and to the left.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
there had to have been a second spitter

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i mean, bullet physics are pretty clear about how exit wounds work, but JFK's skull is a weird one, basically the bullet went in and popped the top on the mofo like one of those champagne bottle party favors

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol cool

https://twitter.com/helensclegel/status/1523972836171333635?s=20&t=dz1tPMHr2exovoXUD-MLxQ

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

War and Pieces posted:

Kennedy was friendly fire from the SS guys trying to shoot the shooter

the coen brothers rear end accidental discharge theory originally started as a joke/obvious deflection from someone who knew better but now some people have glommed on to it as a credible theory and I hate it so much

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

the coen brothers rear end accidental discharge theory originally started as a joke/obvious deflection from someone who knew better but now some people have glommed on to it as a credible theory and I hate it so much

I like the theory that whoever ordered the shot wasn't actually trying to kill Kennedy, just trying to scare him and they hosed up real bad.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's a dumb myth. But I can believe Huey Long was shot by his trigger happy bodyguards on accident and the purported assassin just slugged him.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yeah Britain is hosed up, everyone knows.

Britain?!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tao7ma4jxUQ

:canada:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Yeah that's a dumb myth. But I can believe Huey Long was shot by his trigger happy bodyguards on accident and the purported assassin just slugged him.

I did see an article recently which argued that what physical evidence we have (Long's clothes and the description of his wounds) points towards a pistol at close range rather than a ricochet

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Antonymous posted:

the thing about 9/11 conspiracies about the event itself, they are all more complicated than some guys flying a plane into the building like we see in the video. Like if it was a missile why not just make it a missile in the fake-out narrative, if there was thermite why not just have another bomb attack like '93.

but then I read this,

and idk brother. I really don't know

What makes me inclined to believe Bush knew is that it seems increasingly obvious that very highly placed people in the Saudi government knew, and I have a hard time believing they would be okay with such a massive attack without knowing it wouldn't blow back on them

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Antonymous posted:

you just found this on the street?

nothing says passports are guaranteed to dissinagrate this just slipped out of his pocket in a moment of slapstick comic relief

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I mean the test is simple: how many other (passenger) passports survived?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I mean the test is simple: how many other (passenger) passports survived?

domestic flight so zero

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Kennedy suicided. I mean, the CIA is technically an arm of the President, right? :rolleye:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

I've spent way more hours researching MH370 than any sane person would, and here's my pilot suicide theory:

One of the pilots, very likely Captain Shah, but possibly First Officer Hamid, used the flight to commit suicide.

The short version is that whoever did it, while alone in the cockpit, depressurized the plane to incapacitate/kill everyone else on board, then flew the plane out over empty ocean until it ran out of fuel. This ensured that even if the wreckage and black box were found, whatever was on the cockpit voice recorder would have already been overwritten.

It's more likely to be Captain Shah because it would be trivial for him to get the first officer out of the cockpit but much harder for the reverse, and the exact point where they deviated from their flight path is the perfect point to do so to maximize the amount of time before anyone noticed the plane wasn't where it was supposed to be: the ATC handoff between two countries.

The only way something else happened is if the satellite data was if the satellite data was faked, but even without the satellite data, pilot suicide is by far the best fit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Azathoth posted:

The short version is that whoever did it, while alone in the cockpit, depressurized the plane to incapacitate/kill everyone else on board, then flew the plane out over empty ocean until it ran out of fuel. This ensured that even if the wreckage and black box were found, whatever was on the cockpit voice recorder would have already been overwritten.

yeah I read a long-form article about this a couple of years ago and I believe it

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

mawarannahr posted:

IIRC there was also some speculation that he glided the plane down to the sea surface to minimize the disintegration of the aircraft, hence why there was so little wreckage.

The scariest part to me is where he flew the plane to, the emptiness of that part of the world is very unnerving. There's a near certainty he ditched the plane in the southern Indian ocean heading due south towards Antarctica. There's literally nothing there- even if you survived it's as far away from inhabited land as can be and the currents won't readily bring you there. Anyone in a life raft would have died of dehydration before they even began searching in the right area (this was about 10 days?). I just imagine the stillness and silence in that plane while it was flying with the pilot alone alive and all the people he took with him. What was going through those people's minds when the cabin depressurized? Did they have any idea what was happening? There really isn't a conspiracy angle but it's definitely in the "freaky poo poo" category of inadequately explained occurrences.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

mawarannahr posted:

I wrote a book about it in the vein of Gerard de Villiers where it's insanely problematic and there's a sex scene or a shootout every two pages. I was going for so bad it's good and I think I wrapped around several times. If you search for "the secret history of MH370" on Amazon you'll find it, it's the one with the drone and the cleavage on the cover.

Not what I put in the book, but pilot suicide is the most likely cause, with the caveat that if there was going to be an in air electronic hijacking by Russian agents (with experience in low oxygen conditions, no less), MH370 is exactly what it would look like.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Azathoth posted:

I've spent way more hours researching MH370 than any sane person would, and here's my pilot suicide theory:

One of the pilots, very likely Captain Shah, but possibly First Officer Hamid, used the flight to commit suicide.

It's more likely to be Captain Shah because it would be trivial for him to get the first officer out of the cockpit but much harder for the reverse, and the exact point where they deviated from their flight path is the perfect point to do so to maximize the amount of time before anyone noticed the plane wasn't where it was supposed to be: the ATC handoff between two countries.

The only way something else happened is if the satellite data was if the satellite data was faked, but even without the satellite data, pilot suicide is by far the best fit.

This is very convincing

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Futanari Damacy posted:

IIRC there was also some speculation that he glided the plane down to the sea surface to minimize the disintegration of the aircraft, hence why there was so little wreckage.

The scariest part to me is where he flew the plane to, the emptiness of that part of the world is very unnerving. There's a near certainty he ditched the plane in the southern Indian ocean heading due south towards Antarctica. There's literally nothing there- even if you survived it's as far away from inhabited land as can be and the currents won't readily bring you there. Anyone in a life raft would have died of dehydration before they even began searching in the right area (this was about 10 days?). I just imagine the stillness and silence in that plane while it was flying with the pilot alone alive and all the people he took with him. What was going through those people's minds when the cabin depressurized? Did they have any idea what was happening? There really isn't a conspiracy angle but it's definitely in the "freaky poo poo" category of inadequately explained occurrences.
Folks underestimate just how quickly unconsciousness comes at that altitude. When the cabin depressurized, the oxygen masks would have dropped but they only last a couple minutes, all that should be needed in an emergency to descend to safe breathing altitude.

My guess is that no one really knew anything, maybe they noticed the other pilot banging on the cockpit door but by the time they could piece together that there was something wrong, they would have had at most a minute or two, and possibly they all just passed out thinking there was a mechanical problem.

As for the plane being landed manually on the ocean, even if no one on the plane was conscious, the autopilot would have done that too. The data from the satellite company is most consistent with the autopilot slowly trading altitude for speed as the engines flamed out.

My opinion is that after he flew the plane around the northern tip of Sumatra and got the plane lined up on its final heading that he took off his mask and drifted off to unconscious and then inevitably death. He would have flown for quite some time as the only person alive on the plane, but for the vast majority of the post-deviation flight, no one was alive on the plane.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Forgot that they brought out Cass Sunstein in the WSJ slightly after the crash to say that anyone that believed in MH370 conspiracy theories is a moron idiot

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The only conspiracy that I could really get behind is that it was an electronic hijacking and neither pilot was involved. That said, to the best of my knowledge, we don't have any evidence that such a thing has ever happened, let alone evidence it happened here.

The rest of the theories have gigantic holes in them, often requiring the cooperation of multiple countries that have a lot more incentive to blame each other than work together on a coverup.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Azathoth posted:

The only conspiracy that I could really get behind is that it was an electronic hijacking and neither pilot was involved. That said, to the best of my knowledge, we don't have any evidence that such a thing has ever happened, let alone evidence it happened here.

If that was the case I could definitely see them doing everything possible to keep a lid on it because that's loving terrifying and I don't think I'd be able to fly again.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Obviously not saying it's what happened here, but remote hacking has been done in cars so it's not out of the realm of possibility at the very least.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I'm pretty convinced Michael Hastings was assassinated by a car hijacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

The thing about an electronic hijacking in this case is that it's not obvious why the actors would take such a risk. I saw some theory that the Russians were pissed at Malaysia for seizing some state funds, but using tech that's basically untested in the field to kill more than 200 people, most of whom aren't nationals of the targeted country, is not exactly a rational response

E: using this tech to assassinate a dissident journalist under surveillance has a clear political and operational motive. Neither of which is the case with MH370 unless you ascribe to the leg breaking operation theoru

E Depois do Adeus has issued a correction as of 15:49 on May 10, 2022