Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

The least Lion King 2019 could have done was incorporate the best song from the Broadway show, He Lives in You

https://youtu.be/7ZRfjKD8DCk

That movie did not have the balls to be this visually interesting.

Wasn't He Lives In You from the direct-to-DVD sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Direct-to-VHS, thank you. :colbert:

But I think the stage adaptation preceded the sequel, and the sequel took the song from the stage adaptation.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

They give Jasmine her own solo musical number in the film out of nowhere in the third act and it's absolutely hilarious how shoehorned in and pointless it is as anything other than "we're performative woke now!" virtue signalling. To the point where Guy Ritchie literally had no idea how to properly integrate it into the flow of the story so he literally just has time stop while Jasmine sings a 00s style pop ballad about what a strong and independent women she is and how she controls her own destiny, and then when time resumes she's basically immediately kidnapped by a bunch of goons loyal to Jafar and then spends the rest of the movie until the climax without any agency as a character.

It's great :thumbsup:

Disney proving they don't actually care much more than the barest performative measures to point and go "See?" Apparently even in Lion King they decided to make Shenzi the hyena hashtag girlboss.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Taking one of the most colorful and fun Disney movies and making it a beige husk is sad. I'm from Tanzania and the art of the original was such an obvious love letter to East African nature. I don't know how they made those beautiful landscapes look so dull and souless. Did the animators go to Kenya to draw inspiration too or did they just get shown some pics? The original animators clearly had the "feeling" of being there with them too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

The least Lion King 2019 could have done was incorporate the best song from the Broadway show, He Lives in You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZRfjKD8DCk

That movie did not have the balls to be this visually interesting.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm listening to the video Happy Landfill posted and I'm pretty sure they did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TYPDRSvPk

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

CYBEReris posted:

the only good live action adaptation of disney's Aladdin is Twisted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEf4LzL90Y0

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The biggest surprise for me was that Favreau personally made a lot of the bad choices for Lion King. I didn’t pay attention to much of Marvel behind the scenes stuff, but I thought he was a lot of the reason the MCU has done so well.

Baffling that he would miss the key elements here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At the time, Favreau was specifically not chosen to direct Marvel movies after Iron Man 2 because he was too expensive. Turns out that may have been a blessing because it's pretty clear what happens when he's got an unlimited budget with a Disney that doesn't care.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Favreau has had much more of an influence on Star Wars than the MCU at this point.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Ibblebibble posted:

Yes. The musical came before but the crew working on the sequel liked it so much they included it in the opening

The Lion King musical is, in my opinion, the only of the Disney musicals that really justifies itself creatively by doing some absolutely incredible stuff with costumes, sets and puppetry, and even then I still have some issues with it, mainly that it's really obvious that they took something that was conceptualized with 90 minute runtime and stretched it out to be Feature Length. A lot of the added stuff (with some exceptions) feels...I mean, it's fine, but there's a feeling of incongruity. And that's largely the same issue with what I have with the Remake movies as well--I always feel like I'd rather be watching the original.

That said, if my niece wants to go see the Frozen musical I'll do it and keep my opinions to myself :colbert:

Edit: my mistake, He Lives in You is included in the remake's credits, a version sung entirely in Xhosa

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 9, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DC Murderverse posted:

[...] Cruella and Maleficent where it just uses a character and spins off in its own directions. The latter end up being most interesting just by virtue of having to have some level of creativity to them. Cruella was the closest I got to wanting to see one of these because the setting and vibe were mildly interesting (and also Emma Stone)

So I actually just saw Cruella this weekend for the first time, rented it as part of a mother's day hotel trip, and I'll say this much: aside from the stinger* it was a very weird, never-boring film? It doubles down on being a period piece with the constant 60s-into-70s rock score, but then does a lot of fake outs and isn't afraid to go gently caress reality as rooms full of cameras and laser vaults show up in a fashion designer's house, and every single revelation and double-cross escalates to the point where we laughed all the way to the end. It in no way makes sense as a prequel to 101 Dalmatians, but "puppy-killer takes on admitted multiple-murderer in the fashion world" was a hell of a ride. Highly recommend.

I legitimately wish more of their nostalgia-mine output was that weird. Cruella could have been a loving Kingdom Hearts stage.

* I actually turned to my mother as it ended and went "it's so nice they didn't hammer home the Anita/Roger bit and let that be subtle in Cruella's story" and then the stinger ran where she gives them, independent of one another, Pongo and Perdita just to go "DO YOU GET IT" and I had to eat crow as she laughed.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Favreau has had much more of an influence on Star Wars than the MCU at this point.

Well that explains a lot about Lion King

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

God moviebob is such a lovely person. Also, did he delete that follow up Tweet where he called evolution imperfect and people too kind?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Dammit we were free from him, why'd you bring film roberto back up

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He must be made fun of

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Disney proving they don't actually care much more than the barest performative measures to point and go "See?" Apparently even in Lion King they decided to make Shenzi the hyena hashtag girlboss.

I tend to assume they literally don't understand things beyond the most surface, performative level. If they did, they'd understand enough to make their films suck less. It's storytelling via marketing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Puppy Time posted:

I tend to assume they literally don't understand things beyond the most surface, performative level. If they did, they'd understand enough to make their films suck less. It's storytelling via marketing.

I don't think they really care about it sucking more or not. The remakes are a stalling tactic to keep their movies in the public consciousnesses and get another wave of merchandise sales.

They used to be able to re-air their animated films in theaters every 10 years, then home video releases, and now that's not sustainable because they need the full back library available to incentivize their streaming service (and only on their streaming service so people have to subscribe to watch them.) So when they start a new remake, someone runs down a cinemasins list because then they can do some marketing about how they've "updated" the movie and made it "better" and you should definitely watch it because of that! Some stooges will clap along at how Disney has come so far, and it funnels a mix of people to go back to the old films either for a nostalgia hit or comfort after the new thing made them angry.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DanielCross posted:

Direct-to-VHS, thank you. :colbert:

But I think the stage adaptation preceded the sequel, and the sequel took the song from the stage adaptation.

Ah, that makes sense. My mother, in all her Southeast Asian wisdom, bought a pirated copy of Lion King 2 on VCD before I had ever seen Lion King 1, so childhood discussions about LK were always a bit confusing.

I thought Lion King 1.5 was the best, though. Dunno if it still holds up.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ibblebibble posted:

Ah, that makes sense. My mother, in all her Southeast Asian wisdom, bought a pirated copy of Lion King 2 on VCD before I had ever seen Lion King 1, so childhood discussions about LK were always a bit confusing.

I thought Lion King 1.5 was the best, though. Dunno if it still holds up.

Lion King 1.5 is two gay dudes MST3King the first movie

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't think they really care about it sucking more or not. The remakes are a stalling tactic to keep their movies in the public consciousnesses and get another wave of merchandise sales.

They used to be able to re-air their animated films in theaters every 10 years, then home video releases, and now that's not sustainable because they need the full back library available to incentivize their streaming service (and only on their streaming service so people have to subscribe to watch them.) So when they start a new remake, someone runs down a cinemasins list because then they can do some marketing about how they've "updated" the movie and made it "better" and you should definitely watch it because of that! Some stooges will clap along at how Disney has come so far, and it funnels a mix of people to go back to the old films either for a nostalgia hit or comfort after the new thing made them angry.

This hits it right on the nose. At the end of the day this is all there is to it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Lion King 1.5 is two gay dudes MST3King the first movie

So it's basically Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to the Lion King's Hamlet?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

quote:

"We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective."
Said by Michael Eisener, admittedly before he joined Disney

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Arc Hammer posted:

At the time, Favreau was specifically not chosen to direct Marvel movies after Iron Man 2 because he was too expensive. Turns out that may have been a blessing because it's pretty clear what happens when he's got an unlimited budget with a Disney that doesn't care.

He legit had a bad time making IRON MAN 2, particularly because that movie really feels like they awkwardly shoehorned a bunch of stuff in there because they needed to start laying the groundwork for future movies (see also: Mickey Rourke's comments about working on it). Part of the reason he got so entrenched with Disney is because there's freedom there while Marvel were becoming increasingly limiting.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

e X posted:

He ain't wrong

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

secretly best girl posted:

So I actually just saw Cruella this weekend for the first time, rented it as part of a mother's day hotel trip, and I'll say this much: aside from the stinger* it was a very weird, never-boring film? It doubles down on being a period piece with the constant 60s-into-70s rock score, but then does a lot of fake outs and isn't afraid to go gently caress reality as rooms full of cameras and laser vaults show up in a fashion designer's house, and every single revelation and double-cross escalates to the point where we laughed all the way to the end. It in no way makes sense as a prequel to 101 Dalmatians, but "puppy-killer takes on admitted multiple-murderer in the fashion world" was a hell of a ride. Highly recommend.

I legitimately wish more of their nostalgia-mine output was that weird. Cruella could have been a loving Kingdom Hearts stage.

* I actually turned to my mother as it ended and went "it's so nice they didn't hammer home the Anita/Roger bit and let that be subtle in Cruella's story" and then the stinger ran where she gives them, independent of one another, Pongo and Perdita just to go "DO YOU GET IT" and I had to eat crow as she laughed.

The laser vault thing legitimately angered me. You got a laser vault. You got a dog trained to do crimes. How do you NOT have a scene where the dog has to jump, slide and flip around the vault to get to the McGuffin on the other side?

Bah!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

grittyreboot posted:

So it's basically Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to the Lion King's Hamlet?

Yes - or the Lion King's Henry IV, as described in this classic BHH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=judjEmaTJAs

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's almost exactly R&G Are Dead to Hamlet. And it has a really earwormy song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76zyUFg3Xo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
What did RLM think of the new Dr. Strange movie? Feel like Jay is probably wishing Sam Raimi was doing something else and not "constrained" by doing a Marvel movie.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

What did RLM think of the new Dr. Strange movie? Feel like Jay is probably wishing Sam Raimi was doing something else and not "constrained" by doing a Marvel movie.

well I mean, they describe him as a hired gun so that is implicit I think.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I imagine working on an MCU film has to be fairly horrible creatively given how big the franchise has grown and thus needs to be tightly controlled across the board.

It is definitely to DC’s advantage to pivot from aping the MCU and just releasing good standalone movies that are free to do interesting things because they don’t have to worry about tying into a greater meta-narrative.

…unless the new Batman movie was connected to Joker or something. Haven’t seen it yet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

…unless the new Batman movie was connected to Joker or something. Haven’t seen it yet.

It isn't since they have a different actor playing him.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

e X posted:

That particular quote has been selectively edited. Apparently what Eisner actually said was something more along the lines of:

Michael Eisner posted:

“We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective. But to make money, it is often important to make history, to make art, or to make some significant statement. We must always make entertaining movies, and, if we make entertaining movies, at times, we will reliably make history, art, a statement or all three.

We cannot expect numerous hits, but if every film has an original and imaginative concept, then we can be confident that something will break through.”

A capitalist-minded statement, but a bit more nuanced.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Famethrowa posted:

well I mean, they describe him as a hired gun so that is implicit I think.

Which is silly because it was very much a Sam Raimi movie.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne3nvQjgRwU

i was on this plane

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Which is silly because it was very much a Sam Raimi movie.

is it really though? how can you have a auteur movie when 50% of it is leashed to MCU tie-ins and contractually mandated third act loud laser fights

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MoM is a raimi movie in the way that LaCroix is lemonade

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hypoxia is a helluva thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IqWal_EmBg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Famethrowa posted:

is it really though? how can you have a auteur movie when 50% of it is leashed to MCU tie-ins and contractually mandated third act loud laser fights

Yes. It’s very much a sam Raimi movie.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

He legit had a bad time making IRON MAN 2, particularly because that movie really feels like they awkwardly shoehorned a bunch of stuff in there because they needed to start laying the groundwork for future movies (see also: Mickey Rourke's comments about working on it). Part of the reason he got so entrenched with Disney is because there's freedom there while Marvel were becoming increasingly limiting.

This was what turned me off of Marvel movies. I was super on board with the early stuff, because it was fun seeing the characters and events reframed into modern blockbusters, and I appreciated that the movie makers were given enough space to make something good without too much studio interference.

Then, the studios did the same thing that made the comics lovely: started getting heavy-handed and cramming in stuff solely for the sake of marketing events. Also the insistence on a strict release schedule, meaning there wasn't enough time to make a movie good.

(And also the shared continuity meant that I'd have to watch the event movies like the Avengers stuff and gently caress watching a Joss Whedon movie.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
All new marvel products feel like you're just watching them to catch a glimpse at a cameo who will maybe have their own movie or show that you will only watch to catch a glimpse at a cameo who will maybe have their own movie or show