Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

VOTE never gets old :chaostrump:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

people really don't like it when i inform them, correctly, that america is not a democracy. your vote doesn't matter. the results of whatever legislative election you vote in are pre-determined by a computer algorithm ran by the most ghoulish people you can imagine to ensure that district boundaries result in a republican controlled legislature. your district is either a landslide for democrats or it is an assured victory for republicans. the supreme court has already ruled several times that this, while maybe not technically ideal, is impossible to prevent in any way. we live in a brutal theocracy dominated by a fringe minority of extremists and the party of the majority is nothing but feckless pathetic corporate stooges who couldn't care less about anything other than their own re-election, which is actually greatly enhanced due to these completely undemocratically drawn maps.

there is no solution to it.

keep going :munch:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

it's not the Dems fault they can't do anything they lost lost this one election

Why'd they lose that? Well-

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Stereotype posted:

people really don't like it when i inform them, correctly, that america is not a democracy. your vote doesn't matter. the results of whatever legislative election you vote in are pre-determined by a computer algorithm ran by the most ghoulish people you can imagine to ensure that district boundaries result in a republican controlled legislature. your district is either a landslide for democrats or it is an assured victory for republicans. the supreme court has already ruled several times that this, while maybe not technically ideal, is impossible to prevent in any way. we live in a brutal theocracy dominated by a fringe minority of extremists and the party of the majority is nothing but feckless pathetic corporate stooges who couldn't care less about anything other than their own re-election, which is actually greatly enhanced due to these completely undemocratically drawn maps.

is this an Ohio specific post, or merely a coincidence?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I was thinking about Wisconsin but it’s the entire country

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

tiberion02 posted:

is this an Ohio specific post, or merely a coincidence?

Ohio is going to get destroyed in 2022

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1523812812434329602

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we do have a strong republican party, it's called "the democrats"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Stereotype posted:

we do have a strong republican party, it's called "the democrats"

no, that would be the weak republican party.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

So the official top house Dem position on fixing a right to choose is, "let the Republicans do it when they change their party to be pro-choice"

Bold strategy, let's see if it works out.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
it would actually be pretty good if the republican party passed policies that the democrats pretend to care about

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i love vote! #demsdeliver

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I want the democrat party to get destroyed in 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I want the democrat party to get destroyed in 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

THS2 posted:

my retirement plan is to induce schizophrenia on myself by taking 30 benedryl - a day for a few months

this, but by taking 30 CSPAM a day everyday

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Cloks posted:

my body is ready

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

How is she still doing this poo poo? How are people are still buying it?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

smug jeebus posted:

it's all anyone can afford

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

smug jeebus posted:

everyone is either crushingly depressed or intentionally oblivious

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stereotype posted:

While this is 100% correct, there is a short podcast from 538 that came out a few years ago which actually made a pretty good case why the line I bolded is more or less correct. I think it's just called Gerrymandering if anyone is interested. It took a few examples of states trying varying "solutions" to address what you lay out as the problem and how it turned out (spoiler: they all had wildly bad results).

I don't think I'm going against the grain in this thread to argue that democracy isn't an emancipatory form of government and that podcast moved the needle for me in terms of taking a suspicion and giving it a little more substance.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

it's all anyone can afford

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cloks posted:

Ohio will be last habitable zone in the US

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ohio will be last habitable zone in the US

when do we expect it to transition to being "habitable"?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

when do we expect it to transition to being "habitable"?

oh sorry i wasn’t very clear. it’s going to be the last habitable zone in the sense that EVERYWHERE else is going to be turbo hosed by climate change. Ohio isn’t changing.

Ohio is eternal

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

oh sorry i wasn’t very clear. it’s going to be the last habitable zone in the sense that EVERYWHERE else is going to be turbo hosed by climate change. Ohio isn’t changing.

Ohio is eternal

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Ohio Gozaimas.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ohio is eternal

keep it in the sad sack thread for climate freaks please

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
democracy in the us is working just fine. you can tell because the same person has been the head of the democrat party since I was in high school. I’m 31 years old

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LastInLine posted:

While this is 100% correct, there is a short podcast from 538 that came out a few years ago which actually made a pretty good case why the line I bolded is more or less correct. I think it's just called Gerrymandering if anyone is interested. It took a few examples of states trying varying "solutions" to address what you lay out as the problem and how it turned out (spoiler: they all had wildly bad results).

I don't think I'm going against the grain in this thread to argue that democracy isn't an emancipatory form of government and that podcast moved the needle for me in terms of taking a suspicion and giving it a little more substance.

I used to try to come up with a solution for gerrymandering by creating an algorithm that would draw a series of squares that contain the same number of people. Then I realized this is all pageantry, and the solution is to outlaw billionaires and individually owned media.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Even the rich slave owners who made the constitution knew how to avoid gerrymandering. They put in a clause that there should be at least one district per 20k people.

You cannot gerrymander a safe district with 20k people.

The government wisely decided to ignore that requirement for the sake of pragmatism.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Chamale posted:

I used to try to come up with a solution for gerrymandering by creating an algorithm that would draw a series of squares that contain the same number of people. Then I realized this is all pageantry, and the solution is to outlaw billionaires and individually owned media.

some people have done this before, coming up with metrics to measure how fair districts are and all that. but go ahead trying to get that to become law; the average politician probably has trouble grasping the concept of average so it's gonna be a tough sell. and that's before you get to the fact that everyone is happy with the current arrangement: republicans get to win elections and democrats get incredibly safe seats that guarantee a lifetime job

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ikanreed posted:

You cannot gerrymander a safe district with 20k people.

what

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

some people have done this before, coming up with metrics to measure how fair districts are and all that. but go ahead trying to get that to become law; the average politician probably has trouble grasping the concept of average so it's gonna be a tough sell. and that's before you get to the fact that everyone is happy with the current arrangement: republicans get to win elections and democrats get incredibly safe seats that guarantee a lifetime job

The problem is much deeper than a fair algo can solve, sorting of dem voters into urban areas guarantees any legislative map will always be stacked against them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

"Cucked" is one of those terms that's rapidly losing all meaning on the Internet, but I can't think of another term that so neatly encapsulates the present-day Dem mindset. I almost wish she and her colleagues knew how badly they've been out-played by the GOP and they're just playing dumb to save face, rather than them actually being this dumb and out of touch. But I know which is more likely.

E: Wild to me that Republicans moved on from Reagan more readily than Dems seem to have.

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 19:54 on May 10, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1524093402501070852?s=20&t=FCdEYk2cUEzOV_XVh6nGYw

twitter has been fun because the liberals are split between the rank and file libs in media who have to at least acknowledge reality exists, and democrat elites who want everyone to shut up about how poo poo's hosed

https://twitter.com/mmcauliff/status/1524098613852389377?s=20&t=FCdEYk2cUEzOV_XVh6nGYw

Chuck Schumer is the only Democrat in leadership who still has the capacity to just lie to people. Say some poo poo that sounds good while enabling police to actually shut it down.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Chamale posted:

America is such a political dump that it can't even adopt workable if not perfect solutions used in other anglosphere nations. Politics in Canada and Australia are terrible in ways that are familiar to Americans, but it's certainly possible to draw electoral districts that aren't explicitly designed to ensure permanent one-party rule. America is uniquely broken, and it's going to ensure the Democrat's are destroyed in the coming midterms and every subsequent election.

Was a little surprised that the Democratic party couldn't even get voting reform through, as that is of existential importance to their ability to pass policy ever again. But already should be obvious what I didn't understand.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

and that's before you get to the fact that everyone is happy with the current arrangement: republicans get to win elections and democrats get incredibly safe seats that guarantee a lifetime job

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

C-Euro posted:

"Cucked" is one of those terms that's rapidly losing all meaning on the Internet, but I can't think of another term that so neatly encapsulates the present-day Dem mindset. I almost wish she and her colleagues knew how badly they've been out-played by the GOP and they're just playing dumb to save face, rather than them actually being this dumb and out of touch. But I know which is more likely.

E: Wild to me that Republicans moved on from Reagan more readily than Dems seem to have.

I remember reading a piece based on an in-depth interview with one of her former staffers a few years ago that perfectly illuminated the ruling philosophy of these morons. The basic idea was that the entire generation Democratic leaders that came of age during the Reagan years was so poisoned by the experience that their entire mindset is that all that the party can do is negotiate with conservatives and corporations to slow-down the erosion of the new deal/great society state. Slow-down, but never stop and never reverse, because corporate conservative victory is inevitable. Anyone who tries to fight back is quickly replaced with someone more compliant.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

Chuck Schumer is the only Democrat in leadership who still has the capacity to just lie to people. Say some poo poo that sounds good while enabling police to actually shut it down.

the advantage of being the young pup of Dem leadership

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Yeah okay, that's a very poorly supported statement on my part. What I mean is that smaller districts are very amenable to swings in local sentiment, and answerable to small groups of concerned voters, and physically harder to arrange en masse to invert popular will through just shape.

I don't think it's actually impossible, but the laws of probability make it much much much harder.

It's not even an ideal solution, but just an already well understood problem 250 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

https://foreverwars.substack.com/p/policing-abortion-as-terrorism

really good article on how easy it is for the antiterrorism apparatus to be turned on abortion protestors (or anyone else)

which is why you gotta VOTE

is "ultra-MAGA" the dems' big phrase this time around? poo poo that's already going on hats/bumper stickers/flags lmao

DoubleDonut posted:

it would actually be pretty good if the republican party passed policies that the democrats pretend to care about

it's extremely fortunate for the dems nobody ever convinced trump create some kind of universal health care for Real Americans Only and call it Trumpcare because he'd absolutely go for it and Rs would win for generations

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 00:01 on May 11, 2022