Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Rape of Persephone is actually where the modern definition of “rape” comes from.

It used to be synonymous with “abduction”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

The Rape of Persephone is actually where the modern definition of “rape” comes from.

It used to be synonymous with “abduction”.

Actually the "Rape of Persephone" is also an example of the older meaning of the term. The story hinges on Hades' abduction of Persephone to the underworld.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Actually the "Rape of Persephone" is also an example of the older meaning of the term. The story hinges on Hades' abduction of Persephone to the underworld.

That sounds exactly like what Platystemon was saying

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Soul Dentist posted:

That sounds exactly like what Platystemon was saying

He implied the modern definition came from the story of Persephone. Not the older definition that means "abduction".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People misunderstood which aspect of the story the verb related to, in the title of the myth and in certain other fossilized uses such as the Rape of the Sabine women.

Hope that helps.

You can see the original meaning in many English words today. Raptors seize their prey. The audience listens in rapt attention because the speaker has seized their interest. The rapture will abduct the faithful and spirit them to Heaven.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

See also the rape of the lock

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

People misunderstood which aspect of the story the verb related to, in the title of the myth and in certain other fossilized uses such as the Rape of the Sabine women.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does. Your previous post was kinda ambiguously worded.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
A common term for boy children/adolescents in Portuguese (rapaz) has the same root. Comes from the Latin adjective of the word meaning rapacious. It is so ingrained for that everyday use that few make the connection unless they really reflect on it being similar to related words, e.g “raptar” (=kidnap). Can’t speak for all Romance languages but at least in the Iberian ones, words derived from rap*didn’t really gain the secondary sex crime meaning as it did in English.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 06:18 on May 10, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In french the crime is called "viol," akin to "violation." If french doesn't have it, I dare say the rap* to sexual assault usage is an anglophone thing. And possibly old norman in origin cuz that's where all the weird english terminology comes from, yeah? The chicken becomes poultry, the cattle become beef, etc.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yes it does. Your previous post was kinda ambiguously worded.

get they rear end

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There actually were Zeus worshiping places who'd be all 'What are you talking about, you weird pervert, Zeus is faithful to his wife' iirc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

oscarthewilde posted:

but isn’t it incredibly reductive to describe Disney commercializing Greek myth as just another reinterpretation?
Deliberately, comically so. It was setup for the 'Hades's advocate' gag.

Anyways, I stand by 'Gilgamesh is a gay love story if you want it to be', on the grounds of Death of the Author, and that precise authorial intent, even if it did matter, was lost to time thousands of years ago. We'll never understand all the subtext of a particular interpretation. Pop culture references, sly nods to groups or slogans, blatant parodies of contemporary politicians who've long since been forgotten, translation error, translator bias, changes in what gender and sexual orientation even mean, there are countless touches of nuance that make absolutely goddamn certain that we'll never know exactly what any particular Babylonian meant.

With no way to prove intent, what matters is applicability, and holy hell yes is there applicability there for anyone who wants to look for it.

girl dick energy has a new favorite as of 13:47 on May 10, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There actually were Zeus worshiping places who'd be all 'What are you talking about, you weird pervert, Zeus is faithful to his wife' iirc.

As I understand it a lot of the "Zeus gets around" myths were the result of people trying to insert local deities/mythical ancestors into the Olympian mythos, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if most of them were largely unknown outside of the place they originated.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fun fact: Zeus, Deus, Jupiter, and Deva are all descended from the same indo-european word for "sky daddy"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fun fact: Zeus, Deus, Jupiter, and Deva are all descended from the same indo-european word for "sky daddy"

smite me harder sky dadd user was banned for this post

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Okay, "Zeus", "Deus", "Deva" i get.
But "Jupiter"? How does that one fit?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Wipfmetz posted:

Okay, "Zeus", "Deus", "Deva" i get.
But "Jupiter"? How does that one fit?

It's a mutation of "deu(s) pater".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The piter comes from pater, father. The beginning is jyus shortened to just ju or iu, I guess

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Gaius Marius posted:

The piter comes from pater, father. The beginning is jyus shortened to just ju or iu, I guess

Someone always blames the ju in the end

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Tenebrais posted:

Lore Olympus is probably a good one to bring up since it's about the myth of Persephone, and it's been in and out of fashion at various points in history whether the myth describes a loving relationship or an abduction and rape. It's had a fair few adaptations these last few years (Supergiant's Hades obviously being another notable one) and the consentual version is definitely the one that's in at the moment.

What's interesting is that between Persephone and Hades, it's Persephone that appears to be the older god. Most related religions in the earlier days of the Greek pantheon had a queen ruling the Underworld, and it looks very much like Hades was thought up to give her a husband. Which may go some way to explain why of all the gods he seems to be the most loyal to his marriage - it's literally his whole reason for existing.

The musical Hadestown has it played as a ‘they [Orpheus and Eurydice] remind me of when we were first getting together’ vibe from Persephone’s point of view, so this tracks.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

girl dick energy posted:

Deliberately, comically so. It was setup for the 'Hades's advocate' gag.

Anyways, I stand by 'Gilgamesh is a gay love story if you want it to be', on the grounds of Death of the Author, and that precise authorial intent, even if it did matter, was lost to time thousands of years ago. We'll never understand all the subtext of a particular interpretation. Pop culture references, sly nods to groups or slogans, blatant parodies of contemporary politicians who've long since been forgotten, translation error, translator bias, changes in what gender and sexual orientation even mean, there are countless touches of nuance that make absolutely goddamn certain that we'll never know exactly what any particular Babylonian meant.

With no way to prove intent, what matters is applicability, and holy hell yes is there applicability there for anyone who wants to look for it.

Very well said.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
I was reading up on the ATU folktale classification and this caught my eye:

Wikipedia posted:

According to author Pete Jordi Wood, Thompson intentionally omitted stories about positive homosexual characters from the catalogue, while including stories where they were either victims or aggressors. Similarly, folklorist Joseph P. Goodwin states that Thompson omitted "much of the extensive body of sexual and 'obscene' material", and that - as of 1995 - "topics like homosexuality are still largely excluded from the type and motif indexes."
Now I really want to read some of those :sissies: folktales.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have a very interesting book "not in front of the grown-ups" which is about the survival of subversive folktales in unfriendly circumstances, and one of the things emphasised is how a vast array of European folktales was trimmed down in the 18th century to a much more limited array focusing on male heroes rescuing passive female victims.
Prior to that, the balance was completely different . For pretty much every male hero, there had been a equivalent female heroine, just as resilient and brave. Girls saved their brothers just as much as brothers saved their sisters.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
historians and folklorists and etc: *deliberately exclude and erase all evidence of homosexuality/queer subjects, refuse to record it*
normies: see, queer people are a modern invention, you can tell there were never any in history because we have no stories about them

:sigh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That doesn’t really work considering we have direct historical evidence of that that isn’t fiction.

It varies by the period but there are tons of it out there

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

That doesn’t really work considering we have direct historical evidence of that that isn’t fiction.

It varies by the period but there are tons of it out there
I'm sorry, what exactly doesn't work? my complaint or that of the normies I'm complaining about?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Zopotantor posted:

I was reading up on the ATU folktale classification and this caught my eye:

Now I really want to read some of those :sissies: folktales.

I just read a memoir (In the Dream House) about lesbian domestic abuse that played a lot with Aarne-Thompson classification in footnotes. I'd love to learn more!

P.s. the memoir is a huge downer but unique and good and obviously the product of a MFA professor

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A good website for people interested in this topic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

InediblePenguin posted:

I'm sorry, what exactly doesn't work? my complaint or that of the normies I'm complaining about?

I guess both? Historians being up gay stuff when there are clear evidence of it, but depending on the era that evidence is hard to find. Though even then you do have theories floating around.

Like there is no real hard evidence James I was gay but he was known to have male court favorites. So could they have been lovers? It’s very possible, but because of the era he lived in it’s hard to say definitively. But it’s definetly a theory that has real traction.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Overall, the past was considerably gayer than what the surviving historical record indicates, because that record has been subject to various forms of censorship and exclusion. However, that doesn't make it easy, or even necessarily possible, to extrapolate from that principle to any specific case.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Imagine if you were trying to reconstruct Christianity as a faith and all you had was the episode of Family Guy where Peter calls himself a god, the cover of Dante's Inferno (the game), three pages from Dante's Inferno (the book) and a unfinished Gamefaqs Dark Souls guide.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Imagine if you were trying to reconstruct Christianity as a faith and all you had was the episode of Family Guy where Peter calls himself a god, the cover of Dante's Inferno (the game), three pages from Dante's Inferno (the book) and a unfinished Gamefaqs Dark Souls guide.

Way to out yourself as a fake Dante's Inferno fan, real ones know the full text of inferno is in the game

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Way to out yourself as a fake Dante's Inferno fan, real ones know the full text of inferno is in the game

how are you supposed to read the full text when all you have is the cover of the game box

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Alaois posted:

how are you supposed to read the full text when all you have is the cover of the game box

You climb a mountain and return with the fifteen ten pages of the full text.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Byzantine posted:

i would have made the sickest fuckin religion out of that, hell yeah

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Trabant posted:

You climb a mountain and return with the fifteen ten pages of the full text.

P.S. I looked at the folklore directory under G for gay and didn't find anything :newlol:. I was hoping specifically for more info about Thompson's repressed archetypes. Although I do love reading through the classifications

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I guess both? Historians being up gay stuff when there are clear evidence of it, but depending on the era that evidence is hard to find. Though even then you do have theories floating around.

Like there is no real hard evidence James I was gay but he was known to have male court favorites. So could they have been lovers? It’s very possible, but because of the era he lived in it’s hard to say definitively. But it’s definetly a theory that has real traction.

ok but like i was responding to a thing where folklorists actually literally purposefully excised content that would be read as queer today because it looked queer and they did not want to preserve it, as a lament against the fact that that's a thing people did, because that actual real-life thing that people did on purpose loving sucked, and i have no idea what you're arguing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

ok but like i was responding to a thing where folklorists actually literally purposefully excised content that would be read as queer today because it looked queer and they did not want to preserve it, as a lament against the fact that that's a thing people did, because that actual real-life thing that people did on purpose loving sucked, and i have no idea what you're arguing

I don’t know much about folklorists so I’m not commitenting on that

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Or much else really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know much about folklorists so I’m not commitenting on that

then why post in the first place