Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any idea why cell phone signal would suddenly decrease? It's never been great at our house, but it the yesterday and today it's nonexistent (I have the ! on the signal icon). If I turn my phone off, leave it for a minute or two, then turn it back on, I might see a smidge of service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anybody know of a good way to backup SMS messages to my NAS or some other cloud storage?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

Any idea why cell phone signal would suddenly decrease? It's never been great at our house, but it the yesterday and today it's nonexistent (I have the ! on the signal icon). If I turn my phone off, leave it for a minute or two, then turn it back on, I might see a smidge of service.

Could be a problem at the cell tower. You could try contacting your carrier about it - there is a possibility they could tell you if there is a problem and expected resolution time, but I'd take what they say with a grain of salt.

It could also be a new source of radio interference in your area, but I would expect that to be more intermittent.

To be on the safe side I'd check for any updates your phone might have waiting, just in case it's a software issue.

Do you have more than one phone on the same carrier, and if so are they all seeing the signal degradation?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I recently got a "new" car that only has an aux jack.

No problem. Grabbed a USB/aux cable and it plays music great. A month of ownership and I tried to make a phone call today with the jack plugged in, but the phone call still goes through my phone speakers? Is there a setting for this somewhere?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Could be a problem at the cell tower. You could try contacting your carrier about it - there is a possibility they could tell you if there is a problem and expected resolution time, but I'd take what they say with a grain of salt.

It could also be a new source of radio interference in your area, but I would expect that to be more intermittent.

To be on the safe side I'd check for any updates your phone might have waiting, just in case it's a software issue.

Do you have more than one phone on the same carrier, and if so are they all seeing the signal degradation?

My wife and I are on Mint Mobile. I've mostly noticed the signal problem with texting (I have not had success moving my family off of SMS/MMS). My wife's got an iPhone, so she wouldn't notice since iMessage falls back to data anyway. It does seem maybe a little better today, but not as consistent as usual. I'll see if Mint has any idea, but as an MVNO I don't know how much information they might have.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

fletcher posted:

Does anybody know of a good way to backup SMS messages to my NAS or some other cloud storage?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Thanks! I'll check it out. I had been using SMS Backup+ but it seemed to have stopped working awhile back

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

fletcher posted:

Thanks! I'll check it out. I had been using SMS Backup+ but it seemed to have stopped working awhile back

It still works there's just a few hoops to jump through

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/08/12/sms-backup-is-now-broken-due-to-gmails-api-changes-but-theres-a-workaround/amp/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, though I hear you can change it back to three button navigation instead of gestures. I hope that's always an option, the sometimes lack of options and making a new thingy the only default option is a peeve of mine with android.

So your reply made me dig through the options and indeed there is. I'm back to the 3 buttons now. Thanks!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I had to call 999 from my pixel 6 last night for an emergency.

I need to see exactly what time I called, but it's not in the call history? Is this intentional or am I missing something? Is it a safety thing to stop snooping abusers maybe? Is there any way to get that info?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
God dammit. I reset my Pixel 5 a couple weeks ago in part to try to fix the issue with not charging fully overnight (that seems to have been fixed) and in part to check the expected behavior when the screen timeout triggers. It seems like the intended behavior is that when the user then unlocks the phone, it unlocks to the home screen? That is terrible! Show me the activity I was in before the screen locked!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

fuf posted:

I need to see exactly what time I called, but it's not in the call history? Is this intentional or am I missing something? Is it a safety thing to stop snooping abusers maybe? Is there any way to get that info?

Not sure why it doesn't show (don't call myself very often) but maybe your phone bill? On the American carriers at least you can still generally login and see phone calls. Not sure if that applies to emergency numbers or not.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I mentioned a couple months back I was considering getting a new phone this year. Well that dilemma kinda solved itself; my wife accidentally smashed her Pixel 5 in a car door. :cry: So I'm currently ordering her a replacement Pixel 5a.

I'm going to see if I can just have the 5 repaired out-of-pocket and start using that for myself.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Not sure why it doesn't show (don't call myself very often) but maybe your phone bill? On the American carriers at least you can still generally login and see phone calls. Not sure if that applies to emergency numbers or not.

It really is a feature apparently that emergency calls don't show up in the call log to keep them private. Pretty clever. But also I'm sure has caused a lot of frustration from people who need that info.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

911 calls show up in my phone's call log :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fuf posted:

You could probably call the non-emergency line and get that information, or at least that's what I would suggest in the US. Depending on how your carrier works it's possible if you log into your account there it might show the call, too. I'm not sure all carriers keep call logs users can access anymore, though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a pixel 6 pro and I had a dream that I bought a nicer and sexier phone

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

bowmore posted:

Sometimes dreams don't match up to reality. (The pixel 6 pro is nice and sexy)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bowmore posted:

I am living your dream (used to have a pixel 6 pro)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I like the look of this, but why are companies making phones rest almost entirely on the camera bumps. I hate it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
that one appears to be resting on the side

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol this phone is incredibly ugly, also only 2 camera lens?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

butt dickus posted:

that one appears to be resting on the side

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: I like integrating the cameras back into the case rather than "Here's a big black raised rectangle on your device"

But really I've never thought any phone "looks good", or understood why anyone cares when you're almost only ever looking at the screen.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sab669 posted:

But really I've never thought any phone "looks good", or understood why anyone cares when you're almost only ever looking at the screen.

Tbf I am in this camp too. I dont remember the last time I saw the back of my phone without a case on it

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the back of my phone has a bar that goes all the way across so that it doesn't wobble when on a desk. i don't even need to wrap it in plastic for the privilege

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Every now and then I think about how they were testing voices for the Google assistant a few years back that never saw the light of day. The ones I remember are a lady Minnesota accent and a lady Jersey accent. They were really cool and added some flavor. Dunno why they never released more.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Every now and then I think about how they were testing voices for the Google assistant a few years back that never saw the light of day. The ones I remember are a lady Minnesota accent and a lady Jersey accent. They were really cool and added some flavor. Dunno why they never released more.

I like the Black female NPR anchor voice, myself. Minnesota lady might be nice, tho.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I like the Black female NPR anchor voice, myself. Minnesota lady might be nice, tho.

poo poo I call her Sigourney Weaver but that works just as well! Yeah Purple is great.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Like actually Michele Norris or Jen White? That would be awesome.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Like actually Michele Norris or Jen White? That would be awesome.

No, it's an AI voice just like the rest, but purple has the cadence and rhythm of calm and professional anchor. It's great and my fave.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol this phone is incredibly ugly, also only 2 camera lens?

It has three lenses and the Pixel 6 line is the ugliest phone on the market.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

and the Pixel 6 line is the ugliest phone on the market.

:wrong:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

cage-free egghead posted:

I like the look of this, but why are companies making phones rest almost entirely on the camera bumps. I hate it.

The bump is close to non-existent and gently slopes into the rest of the back in one continuous piece. Only the s22 ultra bump is better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It has three lenses and the Pixel 6 line is the ugliest phone on the market.

Not in a world where the Asus ROG phones exist

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

withoutclass posted:

Sometimes dreams don't match up to reality. (The pixel 6 pro is nice and sexy)

Hey I do like it but I guess my subconscious doesn't

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

so how big of a wet fart is Google I/O going to be tomorrow?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Photex posted:

so how big of a wet fart is Google I/O going to be tomorrow?

Depends how much you love ads.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I hope they put face unlock on the 6 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm ambivalent. Finger will unlock it before face has a chance to.

Also not looking forward to all the crack detectives making posts on how a picture can unlock a simple camera based face unlock as if it's a new issue.