Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I used to loathe playing tank with lucio/mercy as my support line but now I think it might just be the absolute strongest healer duo. Raw healing output is absolutely less important than utility the way OW2 is now and I'm glad, it feels a lot better to play for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea they haven't gone far enough but OW2 feels substantially better already

Soldier's new recoil mechanic is a huge improvement for the character too, not sure how recent that is tho

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
how dare the deepee-essers exist in my game??

Wheeee posted:

yea they haven't gone far enough but OW2 feels substantially better already

Soldier's new recoil mechanic is a huge improvement for the character too, not sure how recent that is tho

they changed soldiers recoil 18 months ago I think? Around the time that Valorant came out, I think

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 10, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wheeee posted:

lol

Overwatch has experienced a meteoric rise in popularity over the years due to the huge number of freaks who want to play a first-person MOBA, this is true!

oh and open queue is still getting games going in 5-20 seconds most of the time, and they almost always have at least one tank per team so :shrug:

I blame Battleborn getting unfairly matched up against Overwatch even though any actual similarities the two had besides being colorful FPS's was minimal, in a better world Battleborn would still be alive and receiving support and that would satisfy the need for a FPS MOBA(honestly it's a hybrid genre that is surprisingly underserved right now)

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
blizz could make ow2 not totally blow dongs and release mod tools/map editor. then we could have our battleborn game mode. that beta was super fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jesus why would Twitch ever spend that much for OWL they had to see the game didn't have the numbers.

drrockso20 posted:

I blame Battleborn getting unfairly matched up against Overwatch even though any actual similarities the two had besides being colorful FPS's was minimal, in a better world Battleborn would still be alive and receiving support and that would satisfy the need for a FPS MOBA(honestly it's a hybrid genre that is surprisingly underserved right now)

MNC was already a better game than OW and if they'd moved it to FPS and not hosed up the sequel it would've been the godking.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Shooter mobas is a literal graveyard of a genre, off the top of my head - Battleborn, Crucible, Paragon, Gigantic all completely tanked. Monday Night Combat did alright but then they hosed up SMNC.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

it takes half a match to get a healer though and its always lucio

No... NO!!! Not LUCIO!!! Not one of the best healers!!!!!!!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Its a doomed genre because FPS people don't want to deal with "no skill" abilities while trying to click heads because putting a pixel on another pixel is the one true skill, and people like myself want to play a fast paced team ability game without having to worry much about mechanics. This divide makes everyone unhappy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

headcase posted:

Its a doomed genre because FPS people don't want to deal with "no skill" abilities while trying to click heads because putting a pixel on another pixel is the one true skill, and people like myself want to play a fast paced team ability game without having to worry much about mechanics. This divide makes everyone unhappy.
"FPS people" have to wait 10 minutes for a game, maybe that's a problem?

quote:

Shooter mobas is a literal graveyard of a genre, off the top of my head - Battleborn, Crucible, Paragon, Gigantic all completely tanked. Monday Night Combat did alright but then they hosed up SMNC.
The funny part is they were all killed by OW before anyone expected OW to become a 2:2:2 freakshow. The Gundam game basically looks like what a lot of people want OW to be but it's less aesthetic.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 10, 2022

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

No Wave posted:

"FPS people" have to wait 10 minutes for a game, maybe that's a problem?

The funny part is they were all killed by OW before anyone expected OW to become a 2:2:2 freakshow. The Gundam game basically looks like what a lot of people want OW to be but it's less aesthetic.

Someone was bragging about open queue only taking a few seconds a few post back. I don't get the bitching about role queue you don't have to do it, open queue exists. It's like ranting about arcade modes or some poo poo.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Well when they super-buff one role, then it makes open queue inherently broken since whichever team has more players on that role wins the game. Open queue is not a viable option for OW2, as a result

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DrunkPanda posted:

Well when they super-buff one role, then it makes open queue inherently broken since whichever team has more players on that role wins the game. Open queue is not a viable option for OW2, as a result

How is that different from OW1 open queue 6 dps shenanigans?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Someone was bragging about open queue only taking a few seconds a few post back. I don't get the bitching about role queue you don't have to do it, open queue exists. It's like ranting about arcade modes or some poo poo.

I am convinced that at least some people that want to play hitscan in overwatch vs other games do it for a reason. They actually like the feeling of being well supported by a mercy or other support, and actually want to take pot shots at enemy supports that can't shoot back. They don't want to play a game where everyone is on equal footing. The fun part is being a shooter in a world of non-shooters. Trying to carry on their own mechanics in a game of mostly Damage role would out them.

DrunkPanda posted:

Are tanks super buff without a 2:1 healer:tank ratio? It seems like they would be sitting ducks in most open queue games. I haven't tried it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

headcase posted:

I am convinced that at least some people that want to play hitscan in overwatch vs other games do it for a reason. They actually like the feeling of being well supported by a mercy or other support, and actually want to take pot shots at enemy supports that can't shoot back. They don't want to play a game where everyone is on equal footing. The fun part is being a shooter in a world of non-shooters. Trying to carry on their own mechanics in a game of mostly Damage role would out them.
Wow, these guys sound like perverts. They should be locked up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

they should cut the damage back a bit on DPS and see if it's just reflexes or actual skill like positioning

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

No Wave posted:

Wow, these guys sound like perverts. They should be locked up.

It's fine. they are locked in queue jail.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yeah instead we just queue tank, slam roadhog, or dva if someone picked him first, and dps that way. Sucks about your L but that's what it is

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
What kind of sick gently caress picks a character that gets to shoot things in a shoot game

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Arzachel posted:

What kind of sick gently caress picks a character that gets to shoot things in a shoot game

A shoot game would have 12 shootmans. In overwatch, 8 people on the map are doing other things. There are dozens of shoot games, so why do people stand in line for this minority role? because it feels good to be alpha cyborg ninja among beta-cuck mercies. To the original question: why not play open queue?

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 10, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

headcase posted:

you are the most powerful poster in this thread

every time i read a post of yours i feel like I’m getting fiscaled

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Wheeee posted:

you are the most powerful poster in this thread

every time i read a post of yours i feel like I’m getting fiscaled

right in the ear

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Arzachel posted:

Man MNC on xbla was so good. Legitimately a lot of fun then they rebalanced it and hosed everything.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you think overwatch is bad you should play paladins for a bit to see how much worse it could be.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
paladins feels good to play, i like how ults are balanced to be much lower impact in that game.

overwatch also feels good to play, other than ults.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Head clickers be like this: (all bunched up and sweaty, meticulously putting one pixel on top of another). But support mains be like This: (extremely relaxed, cool-headedly managing the economy of the match).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

ultimates feel less oppressive now between 5v5 and people generally being more spread out, at least

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
They feel less oppressive because they charge slower but they're still really good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah the game in general feels better with the less frequent ults, but the last minute or so of a round people often start stockpiling them so you still get those fights where 4-5 people on each team press Q at the end.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I actually think the game feels worse in terms of flow with less ults and they should have been tweaked to just be less powerful or made better ults.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
i'd love to see the player count of open queue vs role queue. it's so refreshing being able to play game after game after game in open.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i tried playing open and got a lot of very sloggy stalematey matches of like double or triple tank and double healer vs double or triple tank and double healer and went back to the role queue lol

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Open queue seems a lot more exhausting on new maps where people are still trying to figure out what works in terms of positioning and comp. Lots of weird awful feeling matches on those but when you roll an OW1 map I've had some of the best games ive played on the beta

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Countblanc posted:

yeah the game in general feels better with the less frequent ults, but the last minute or so of a round people often start stockpiling them so you still get those fights where 4-5 people on each team press Q at the end.

I liked 2cp as a mode, because the wincon rewards the team that can build six ults the fastest and then all push Q at the same time, but it really sucks when you're on the team that can't do that, so it's probably best that they solve that problem two different ways in order to make sure it's well and truly dead

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
hanamura was a really unfun map. i'd love to see the assets again, but what a poo poo design.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

DoctorJones posted:

hanamura was a really unfun map. i'd love to see the assets again, but what a poo poo design.

Struggled with that first choke point eh

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

DoctorJones posted:

This is a lot of the maps honestly. Yeah OW maps made a lot of assumptions that shields would be in coordinated play, instead of what the actual game played like, so they are all singular choke points with really long sight lines and 4 or 5 hitscan hero’s without damage drop off. OW has a lot of fun cool individual design decisions with some really really bad overall design choices that kill cohesion.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

This is a lot of the maps honestly. Yeah OW maps made a lot of assumptions that shields would be in coordinated play, instead of what the actual game played like, so they are all singular choke points with really long sight lines and 4 or 5 hitscan hero’s without damage drop off. OW has a lot of fun cool individual design decisions with some really really bad overall design choices that kill cohesion.
I think that's too generous. Hanamura was developed when the game had no hero limits and there were two shield characters and two healers. I imagine they just thought choke point fights would be more epic because they force a 6v6.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Hanamura and Anubis are easily my least favorite maps in OW1's current state. Since a lot of people in here haven't played OW1 in a while, they recently removed Horizon and Paris from the quick play queue because of the mass exodus of players from the lobby whenever they'd pop up. Paris never really bothered me at all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really liked the look of Paris. I'm not good enough to know why it sucks, though.

Horizon I just found extremely unfun.